Pay $120/year for iCloud or switch to Google Photos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Pay $120/year for iCloud or switch to Google Photos

Post by ThankYouJack »

My family has just over 200GB of storage in the iCloud (mostly pictures and videos) so we're paying $120 / year for it. I'm considering switching to Google Photos, seems like a lot of people love it but I've also read some mixed reviews.

Using Google Photos, is it just as seamless to sync everything between two iPhones, a mac and iPad?

Have you done this switch and were you happy with it?

If I decide to switch, what's the best way to do get all my videos and photos from iCloud to Google Photos? I have an external hard drive that I could use
j9j

Re: Pay $120/year for iCloud or switch to Google Photos

Post by j9j »

Unless the terms have changed recently, if you store photos on Googles photo service then you are granting Google rights to those photos. I interpreted that as Google can reuse those photos in whatever manner they wish.

I do not store anything in Google free services after looking into those terms and conditions.
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

I too have surveillance capitalism concerns, so eliminated all Google products including my beloved Google Voice. If it’s free, then you are not the customer, but the product. So I now pay for iCloud storage, Protonmail, and so forth. All told it’s under $100 per year.

With all those GB you have stored, I bet there are a lot of ancient videos that you could perhaps find and delete to bring it back under 200 GB. Maybe search by date and delete a few?
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

Google Photos degrades the photo quality unless you pay for the service. I switched TO iCloud for photo storage.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Google Photos degrades the quality of the photos on the free tier. Stick with iCloud!
stan1

Post by stan1 »

You could save $7x12=$84/year if you kept under 200GB so you could get the 200GB plan instead of the 2TB plan.

Can you declutter your digital files, do some simple curation, and get rid of some of the videos and photos that aren't very good or are duplicates?

One easy thing to do is sort by file size. If you do that I'm sure you will find some videos in particular that don't need to be saved.
aarondearu

Post by aarondearu »

For $100/year you can get an Office365 family plan with 1TB of storage per user.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microso ... rosoft-365

You might be able to get 30% off through your employer.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/home-use-program
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks all, seems like the best bet is just to pay the $120/year. We can afford it, I just didn't like the jump from $36 / year to $120 / year but oh well.
stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:43 pm Can you declutter your digital files, do some simple curation, and get rid of some of the videos and photos that aren't very good or are duplicates?

One easy thing to do is sort by file size. If you do that I'm sure you will find some videos in particular that don't need to be saved.
I don't think there's a way to sort by file size on the iCloud. Would be nice if there was. I'd like to declutter a bunch but that would take quite some time - would need to delete thousands of videos and photos. And my spouse and kids are always taking videos and photos, so I'd probably have to declutter multiple times a year.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I don’t agree with the privacy/surveillance arguments. Like Apple couldn’t use your pictures?
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

You can very likely find your biggest files by going to the Photos app on your Mac, choose “Videos” as the media type, then it will show them all with duration. If you want you can get actual size by right clicking and choose “get info” but that’s probably not necessary. The oldest ones are shown first, you can just delete the oldest and/or longest.

These are generally way bigger than still images.
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

mega317 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:27 pm I don’t agree with the privacy/surveillance arguments. Like Apple couldn’t use your pictures?
Apple could, but that’s not their business model. They like to differentiate themselves from FB, Google etc in that they are not in the business of making money from your data. Might even be true!
SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo »

j9j wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:52 am Unless the terms have changed recently, if you store photos on Googles photo service then you are granting Google rights to those photos. I interpreted that as Google can reuse those photos in whatever manner they wish.
No - your photos are your photos. It's different than if you write a review on Google maps, then they retain the right to continue to use your endorsement in perpetuity.

https://www.lifewire.com/google-terms-o ... ht-1616178
ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am Using Google Photos, is it just as seamless to sync everything between two iPhones, a mac and iPad?
With iCloud Photos, it's a bidirectional sync service that's tied to the phone storage. You can leverage the "Optimize storage" feature, but you still can't go through and select a bunch of photos/videos on your iPhone that you don't want stored on the device and keep them in the cloud only. Delete something one place, it gets deleted everywhere.

With Google Photos, it will sync all new contents from your iPhone/iPad up to the service. It's mostly seamless, but it has a couple caveats when compared to the native iCloud service. Google Photos will sync in the background but you have to grant the app location tracking. iOS tries to keep things from running in the background to save device battery, but exceptions are made for applications that use location data to provide updated information (ie, weather apps). When the Google Photos app is granted location details, it will be able to spin up in the background to sync. This happens whenever there is a "substantial" change of location (ie, you leave the house to go somewhere), and less frequently when your location doesn't change. If you take a bunch of pictures at home and don't open the app, it will sync eventually, but it may take a few hours; if you open the app it will start syncing immediately.
ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 amHave you done this switch and were you happy with it?
I'm using it with paid Drive storage, so I store everything in original quality. I'm not doing this as a cost saving measure. I'm happy with this setup for a few reasons:
  • You can access your photos from any device with a functional web browser.
  • Photo sharing is easier. My wife can see all of the pictures I take, I can see all of hers. You can setup rules like only share pictures that you each take of your kids, or whatever.
  • You can easily stop syncing temporarily. Useful if you're in an area where data usage could be expensive (cruise ship wifi, metered hotel wifi, etc). Also useful for situations like my work where I'm taking pictures of device serial numbers temporarily.
One major annoyance I have is they removed the feature where your Google Photos would automatically show up in Google Drive. I used that to constantly sync my photos to my home NAS for my personal backup. Now I have to use Google Takeout to download all of my photos every so often to make sure I can maintain a local copy.

Google Photos doesn't do authoritative sync back to devices, so if I take a picture on my iPhone, delete it using the Google Photos app in my iPad, the photo will still remain on the local storage of my iPhone. For me this is a good safety measure, because I could only lose a photo if all 3 of the following statements are true:
  1. The photo was taken after my last Takeout archive.
  2. The Google Photos service has failed in a way that has caused the photo to be unavailable.
  3. The device that took the photo is also lost/damaged in a way to prevent recovering the photo from the device itself.
ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 amIf I decide to switch, what's the best way to do get all my videos and photos from iCloud to Google Photos?
If all your original quality photos will fit on an iPhone or iPad, that's probably the easiest path. I did the conversion by setting iCloud Photo Library on my large storage iPad to "Download and Keep Originals" and let it sync everything down, then launched the Google Photos app to let everything upload to Google photos. The process took a good long while, but the iOS app managed it well.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

DJZ wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:30 pm You can very likely find your biggest files by going to the Photos app on your Mac, choose “Videos” as the media type, then it will show them all with duration. If you want you can get actual size by right clicking and choose “get info” but that’s probably not necessary. The oldest ones are shown first, you can just delete the oldest and/or longest.

But you can't sort by size. That would be helpful as I have so many videos it would take a while to scroll through all of them
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Do you have Amazon Prime? They offer unlimited photo storage as part of the package. And if you're planning to pay $120 anyway, you may as well get the other Prime benefits.
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

Independent George wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 pm Do you have Amazon Prime? They offer unlimited photo storage as part of the package. And if you're planning to pay $120 anyway, you may as well get the other Prime benefits.
I believe there is a limit to videos. I think 5GB.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:54 pm
DJZ wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:30 pm You can very likely find your biggest files by going to the Photos app on your Mac, choose “Videos” as the media type, then it will show them all with duration. If you want you can get actual size by right clicking and choose “get info” but that’s probably not necessary. The oldest ones are shown first, you can just delete the oldest and/or longest.

But you can't sort by size. That would be helpful as I have so many videos it would take a while to scroll through all of them
You can do a spotlight search for .mov, then click on the “size” column. This will find movies in iPhoto and allow you to delete them.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

I use Smugmug to store all my pictures and videos. $70/year for unlimited storage. Just like iCloud / Google Photos they have a way of auto-uploading pics from my phone. They are a true photography shop and have been one of the early adopters of Amazon's S3 service. So it's a no-brainer for me.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Independent George wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 pm Do you have Amazon Prime? They offer unlimited photo storage as part of the package. And if you're planning to pay $120 anyway, you may as well get the other Prime benefits.
I do have Prime. Will have to look into this more as I'd like the photos to be able to sync between devices.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

DJZ wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:54 pm

You can do a spotlight search for .mov, then click on the “size” column. This will find movies in iPhoto and allow you to delete them.
I use the Photos app now and haven't used iPhoto in years. So the photos aren't on my hard drive, they're in the iCloud
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Blueskies123 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:07 pm
I believe there is a limit to videos. I think 5GB.
For additional prime storage looks like for 100 GB it's $1.99, $6.99 for 1 TB and $11.99 for 2TB
squirm

Post by squirm »

You can get Office 365, 5 terabytes and vault storage for half that with Onedrive family.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

I use google photos for free. Wife does too. Everything is on there. Iphone users and the only thing we pay for is netflix ($14 a month now?), amazon prime ($100 a year I think), apple music (2 accounts of $15 a month).
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

With all Apple devices, I would stay with iCloud. If I wanted to make the effort to save some bucks, I would be spending that time deleting videos and photos.

Post by 000 »

How many 256GB external hard drives could you buy a year for $120?

Apple really has the perfect business model:
1. Find a bunch of people who think price indicates quality -- "you get what you pay for"
2. Charge absurd prices
3. Goto step 1 until sufficient monies are harvested
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I also use smugmug. You might also want to check and see if you can delete some photos. Since people don't pay for film and developing of photos anymore I think a ton of digital photos are kept but never viewed.
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

SpaethCo wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 pm
  • You can access your photos from any device with a functional web browser.
  • Photo sharing is easier. My wife can see all of the pictures I take, I can see all of hers. You can setup rules like only share pictures that you each take of your kids, or whatever.
  • You can easily stop syncing temporarily. Useful if you're in an area where data usage could be expensive (cruise ship wifi, metered hotel wifi, etc). Also useful for situations like my work where I'm taking pictures of device serial numbers temporarily.
You may not be aware, but https://www.icloud.com works to view all of your photos in a functional browser as well. I will say it's a little less fluid than the Google Photos for scrolling and searching.

We run paid iCloud as the primary backup for our photos and then Google free tier as a "just in case" we ever switch Ecosystems. There are things I wish I could change about each system.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

We use Google photos. The main reason is because they are platform agnostic. Even though we all use iPhones, I do not want to be married to Apple. My desktop is windows and photos are easily integrated with iPhones to have photos and videos backed up in one place.

1. On the unlimited free tier, I do not notice the degradation in quality for compressed images. I might see it on my computer monitor, but let's be honest, by and large, the photos are being looked at on 6" smartphone screens. If you really don't like it, you can pay for the service.

2. Apple doesn't play nice with Google photos. While updating is automatic, deletion is not. On Android, is seamless. On iOS, I have to manually delete. Google photos does make it easier by putting cloud saved photos and videos in the trash. I just have to empty it every once in awhile. If I do not then the phone may run out of space.

3. Apple doesn't play nice with Google photos. While chatting or Facebooking, uploading from Google photos is an additional chore. On Android, is seamless.

I do have Amazon prime and their included cloud service is nice but I don't want to get married to a company. Amazon is showing a lot of Apple tendencies in making some of their services propriety to their hardware only.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

Are you paying for any of Apple other services. Once the apple One bundles roll out in a month or two you may not end up paying much more with the bundle discounts.

$20/month for Family Shared Music/TV/Arcade/iCloud 200GB. You can then add another 200GB on top for another $3/month for 400GB total.

Other options is Premier for $30 which adds News+/Fitness+ and 1TB iCloud.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Be aware that Google is notorious for randomly shutting down services. The just did this with their Google Music service. I could see them randomly discontinuing their photo storage service, too.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am Using Google Photos, is it just as seamless to sync everything between two iPhones, a mac and iPad?
Yes.
Have you done this switch and were you happy with it?
I'm happy with it. We use it for all of our family photos and videos.
If I decide to switch, what's the best way to do get all my videos and photos from iCloud to Google Photos? I have an external hard drive that I could use
When I first started with Google Photos, there was an uploader that you could install and it would run in the background. I don't know if it still exists or not.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
ljb1234

Post by ljb1234 »

I use Google photos during the year and at the end of the year, I download everything (at their quality storage settings) and back up to my NAS.

I do not find any reduced Google Photo file image quality to be noticeable. Photos are limited to 16MP and videos to HD (1080P).

I do have an Android phone, so Google photos is seamless among devices.

The reason I like it is their search services are so good. You can search for people, places, time, etc. and also thing like: beach, sunset, golf, colors, wedding, etc. Very easy to find a picture that can take a long time just scrolling.

If they get rid of it, I have everything backed up locally. Also I can upload my DSLR photos there too.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Snezz1e wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 am Are you paying for any of Apple other services. Once the apple One bundles roll out in a month or two you may not end up paying much more with the bundle discounts.

$20/month for Family Shared Music/TV/Arcade/iCloud 200GB. You can then add another 200GB on top for another $3/month for 400GB total.

No, I'm not paying for any other Apple services. I do usually pay for Amazon Music or YouTube Premium, but I'd prefer those over paying for Apple Music.

I wish Apple offered a $6 / month for 400GB storage tier on it's own but oh well. Maybe they will down the road.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

000 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:48 pm How many 256GB external hard drives could you buy a year for $120?

1. Find a bunch of people who think price indicates quality -- "you get what you pay for"
2. Charge absurd prices
There is a place for cloud storage; an extra HDD won't protect against fire or theft, and it makes synching & sharing with your phone much easier. $120/year matches Onedrive and Dropbox. I'm not a part of the Apple cult, but I have to give them credit where it's due - iCloud is a good product. It's not any better or worse than its competitors, but unlike some of their other products, it's not grossly overpriced for its quality.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

000 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:48 pm How many 256GB external hard drives could you buy a year for $120?

2. Charge absurd prices
Seems like Google and Amazon have similar prices for cloud storage - https://one.google.com/about
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

I pay $20 a year for Google One with 100GB. It also includes tech support on google products, which I have used a couple of times, once for an out of warranty Google-made phone, once for a google router, and once for an account issue. The service is great and no regrets at all.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

iCloud is pretty seamless, and worth the price. Set it and forget it. If you use Apple devices, the functionality is already baked in. No apps to download or new services to sign up for.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:47 am iCloud is pretty seamless, and worth the price. Set it and forget it. If you use Apple devices, the functionality is already baked in. No apps to download or new services to sign up for.
I don't really use things in the cloud except for my (old) dropbox account. My only concern with them or specifically iCloud is what happens if you decide you don't want it anymore? Can you easily select all files and move them to a local (internal/external) drive and copy them? If so that is great but sometimes companies make it tough to transfer data.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

rich126 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:55 am
NYCaviator wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:47 am iCloud is pretty seamless, and worth the price. Set it and forget it. If you use Apple devices, the functionality is already baked in. No apps to download or new services to sign up for.
I don't really use things in the cloud except for my (old) dropbox account. My only concern with them or specifically iCloud is what happens if you decide you don't want it anymore? Can you easily select all files and move them to a local (internal/external) drive and copy them? If so that is great but sometimes companies make it tough to transfer data.
You can export all of your photos from the Photos app on your Mac to either original or reduced file size and just put them on a hard drive or upload them somewhere else. Same with files in the cloud.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:00 am
Snezz1e wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 am Are you paying for any of Apple other services. Once the apple One bundles roll out in a month or two you may not end up paying much more with the bundle discounts.

No, I'm not paying for any other Apple services. I do usually pay for Amazon Music or YouTube Premium, but I'd prefer those over paying for Apple Music.

I wish Apple offered a $6 / month for 400GB storage tier on it's own but oh well. Maybe they will down the road.
Who is the largest user of data? Anyone not the primary/organizer family member can separate themselves only for the purposes of icloud. If you go on their phone there is an option to stop using family storage and buy their own plan for $1/$3. They are still part of the family for other purposes.

Note if they get the 200gb plan that is for them to use exclusively. They can't share that with anyone else. So what you have is 200gb shared with everyone but them and they will have 200gb just for themselves.

Forming some combination of $3 for yourself and $1/3 for others will probably bring you down to less than $10/month.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Snezz1e wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:46 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:00 am

Who is the largest user of data? Anyone not the primary/organizer family member can separate themselves only for the purposes of icloud. If you go on their phone there is an option to stop using family storage and buy their own plan for $1/$3. They are still part of the family for other purposes.

Note if they get the 200gb plan that is for them to use exclusively. They can't share that with anyone else. So what you have is 200gb shared with everyone but them and they will have 200gb just for themselves.

Forming some combination of $3 for yourself and $1/3 for others will probably bring you down to less than $10/month.
That's a good point. My spouse is the largest user of data as she likes to take long videos and tons of photos. We just have one apple account, but could set up two. That would give us 400GB for $6/month but I wonder if that would add complexity from a management standpoint as it is nice having all of videos and photos grouped together. Maybe it's pretty easy though with family sharing?
aarondearu

Post by aarondearu »

You can regularly find iTunes gift cards online for 20% off.
Buy some and load them to your iTunes account and the balance will be used to pay the monthly iCloud invoice.
Then the cost would be $96/year.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

aarondearu wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:58 pm You can regularly find iTunes gift cards online for 20% off.
Buy some and load them to your iTunes account and the balance will be used to pay the monthly iCloud invoice.
Then the cost would be $96/year.
Not the case anymore since they merged itunes and apple gift into one. Now you can use Itunes gift card/balance towards hardware at apple store/site. Most you can hope for now is 10% if even that.
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

You get free unlimited storage on Google photos and videos if you reduce the resolution for Photos. BUT the good news is that the photos format in which iPhone takes the pics (HEIC) is already so compressed that Google stores them in original size. And AFAIK personal photos are not google property. You can chose never to share it with anyone. Works great for me as I get Google photos apps on my Roku, Fire TV and iPhone not something which I can do with iCloud.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

mystiq wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:49 pm You get free unlimited storage on Google photos and videos if you reduce the resolution for Photos. BUT the good news is that the photos format in which iPhone takes the pics (HEIC) is already so compressed that Google stores them in original size. And AFAIK personal photos are not google property. You can chose never to share it with anyone. Works great for me as I get Google photos apps on my Roku, Fire TV and iPhone not something which I can do with iCloud.
So, do you still use iCloud to backup everything else, just not the photos? I have had to restore iPhones enough times that I can not imagine the hassle without a recent backup.
wander

Post by wander »

I backup my Iphone to my desktop. Don't need to buy Icloud service.
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

Katietsu wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:08 pm
mystiq wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:49 pm You get free unlimited storage on Google photos and videos if you reduce the resolution for Photos. BUT the good news is that the photos format in which iPhone takes the pics (HEIC) is already so compressed that Google stores them in original size. And AFAIK personal photos are not google property. You can chose never to share it with anyone. Works great for me as I get Google photos apps on my Roku, Fire TV and iPhone not something which I can do with iCloud.
So, do you still use iCloud to backup everything else, just not the photos? I have had to restore iPhones enough times that I can not imagine the hassle without a recent backup.
I dont remember me trying to restore but even if I had to .. 5GB free storage works fine for me. All my docs, pics and messages are stored on Google cloud anyways. For me cross platform access to photos is a must. So prefer Google than iCloud
onourway

Post by onourway »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:55 pm
That's a good point. My spouse is the largest user of data as she likes to take long videos and tons of photos. We just have one apple account, but could set up two. That would give us 400GB for $6/month but I wonder if that would add complexity from a management standpoint as it is nice having all of videos and photos grouped together. Maybe it's pretty easy though with family sharing?
if you currently use one AppleID for everything and have a fully merged Photos library, and want to keep it that way, then the separate icloud storage idea, while a good one, won’t work. you’ll have to each have a separate AppleId and currently there is no way to merge photo libraries across accounts.
chungus

Post by chungus »

+1
anoop

Post by anoop »

For $120/yr, dropbox may be better since it gives you 2 TB.
https://www.dropbox.com/individual/plans-comparison
https://www.dropbox.com/features/cloud-storage/photos

If you think you'll be editing photos, Adobe Creative Cloud Lightroom may be worth a look.
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/pho ... mini-plans