Try Out Verizon While Keeping T Mobile Active?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BHawks87

Try Out Verizon While Keeping T Mobile Active?

Post by BHawks87 »

I currently have T Mobile and have a family plan with my DW and her parents on it. Where we live the T Mobile reception isn't that great so I wanted to switch to Verizon. Before moving everyone over I wanted to try it out for a few weeks or a month and am wondering if it's possible to do that. I don't have complaints about T Mobile except that outside of town the coverage is bad compared to Verizon. I'm worried that the data speeds will be slower or service poor using Verizon prepaid or an MVNO as I want to get something cheaper than we are paying now.

Can I put a hold on just one line on our T Mobile account and bring my number to a prepaid Verizon for a month? Would it be better to get a new Verizon number to test out?

Should I just buy a 1 month prepaid Verizon or MVNO and get a new number and try it out and then if I like it terminate T Mobile and port my number over?
JoMoney

Re: Try Out Verizon While Keeping T Mobile Active?

Post by JoMoney »

BHawks87 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am...
Should I just buy a 1 month prepaid Verizon or MVNO and get a new number and try it out and then if I like it terminate T Mobile and port my number over?
That sounds like a good option to me.
Just make sure that if you want to port your number you do so BEFORE you terminate your account.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 »

I've had performance issues with Verizon mvnos in the past. Voice was OK, Text and Data were sketchy. The deal is that Verizon prioritizes its premium data above everything else. And there appears to be a pecking order of priority with the mvnos falling at the bottom. MNVOs won't tell you about the prioritization issue but for sure it's an issue. If you don't mind slow data during congested hours, you probably won't have an issue. If you are located in an urban area where there's lots of people on Verizon's towers you will most assuredly experience slow data. Your idea of buy a month of service and taking a new number is a good one.
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

I just switched from Consumer Cellular (AT&T MVNO) to Verizon Prepaid. If I stay on Verizon for 2 months they'll credit my account $60. You don't get those kind of incentives when you activate a new line now and port later. If I end up deciding that I don't like VZ, I can switch back.

It's not that hard to switch. If you don't like Verizon, switch back to T-Mobile or switch to somebody else.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:46 am
BHawks87 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am...
That sounds like a good option to me.
Just make sure that if you want to port your number you do so BEFORE you terminate your account.
+1,
60% SCHK | 25% VIGI | 15% ILTB
j9j

Post by j9j »

If you are considering switching to Verizon for better converse then try a new number on their actual postpaid service. I think prepaid would be a bit more limited and deprioritized.

I had terrible coverage issues with two different Verizon mvno(total wirelss and red pocket). That I switched back to T-Mobile.
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

If you're close to a Verizon corporate store, see if they'll let you try out a loaner phone to test out the coverage where you want.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Verizon has their own prepaid plans that are very cheap. $40 and less per line, and they get cheaper the longer you stay with them. Check out their website, that is probably better than going with an MNVO.

I had T-Mobile and switched to Verizon a few years ago because I had horrible reception in the big city I live in, and horrible reception when I traveled to other cities. I have full bars in our home and when someone with T-Mobile comes over there's usually little to no service. Overall, Verizon has been reliable and I get way better service wherever I travel. I even get service in remote areas when ATT and T-Mo have none. I've been really happy with Verizon.