Here's my portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Carol88888

Re: Here's my portfolio

Post by Carol88888 »

I'm curious. Have you worked out what the overall expense ratio is for this portfolio?
Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

Carol88888 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 am I'm curious. Have you worked out what the overall expense ratio is for this portfolio?
Right now it's about 0.13%, with about half of that expense coming from the large allocations I have to SLYV and HDEF.

As long as the weighted average expense ratio is under 0.20% I'm content.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
cos

Post by cos »

If you didn't have to deal with any annoying limitations on your choice of funds (e.g. dearth of options in 401k, commissions, etc.), what would your ideal portfolio look like right now? What if you were suddenly 25 again?

Here's my guess for right now:
18% EDV
30% VIOV
20% HDEF
20% VWO
12% VTI

Here's my guess for suddenly 25 again:
50% VIOV
25% HDEF
25% VWO

Which asset classes did I get wrong? Which specific funds did I get wrong?
Last edited by cos on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post by 000 »

vineviz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:53 pm 10% Individual Bonds (e.g. munis, TIPS, corporate)
Why do you have individual corporate bonds? Thanks.
Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

000 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:15 pm
vineviz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:53 pm 10% Individual Bonds (e.g. munis, TIPS, corporate)
Why do you have individual corporate bonds? Thanks.
They are "left over" from a prior version of the portfolio that was more "Edward Jones" than "Boglehead" in character. I jettisoned the mutual funds in an overhaul, but decided to hold on to the bonds because a) they are decent bonds (PFE, MSFT,JNJ) ; b) they aren't a significant part of the portfolio (less than 2% total); c) the cost to sell them before maturity at my current broker is high.

I wouldn't buy any individual corporate bonds today, I don't think.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

cos wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:10 pm If you didn't have to deal with any annoying limitations on your choice of funds (e.g. dearth of options in 401k, commissions, etc.), what would your ideal portfolio look like right now? What if you were suddenly 25 again?

Here's my guess for right now:
18% EDV
30% VIOV
20% HDEF
20% VWO
12% VTI

Here's my guess for suddenly 25 again:
50% VIOV
25% HDEF
25% VWO

Which asset classes did I get wrong? Which specific funds did I get wrong?
Actually, you're probably not far off.

Post by 000 »

vineviz wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:15 am They are "left over" from a prior version of the portfolio that was more "Edward Jones" than "Boglehead" in character. I jettisoned the mutual funds in an overhaul, but decided to hold on to the bonds because a) they are decent bonds (PFE, MSFT,JNJ) ; b) they aren't a significant part of the portfolio (less than 2% total); c) the cost to sell them before maturity at my current broker is high.

I wouldn't buy any individual corporate bonds today, I don't think.
makes sense
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

vineviz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 am
columbia wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 am What is your benchmark?
My goal is to match or exceed the return of Vanguard Target Retirement 2035 Fund (VTTHX), which roughly corresponds to my goal for when to retire.

My asset allocation isn't precisely the same as that fund, but I figure it's as reasonable a benchmark as any: not too easy a hurdle to clear, but not so high it prompts me to take on more risk than I should be taking on.
Your goal is to match or exceed VTTHX. Since there is much more to your portfolio, how much would you have to exceed VTTHX's return by to make you happy?

Or is this something you just enjoy doing?