Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ClaycordJCA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Alas, I am treading water and didn’t make my 9/15 date. DW is awaiting word on a possible treatment for her chronic migraines. Until that is finalized, I continue to work for our group health insurance. Best move my date to TBD.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Alas, I am treading water and didn’t make my 9/15 date. DW is awaiting word on a possible treatment for her chronic migraines. Until that is finalized, I continue to work for our group health insurance. Best move my date to TBD.
Thank you for the update, let us know when you have your R-date. We hope everything turns out well for you and your wife :happy
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

onthecusp wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 pm After watching these threads for a couple of years I've made a decision. April 3, 2020 is the plan. Tired of the megacorp culture all the time. I had hoped to make the jump this year, after one more year I'm certain we can make it work now. A little more in savings, a little more understanding of what our expenses will be.

I hope the definition police don't object to a part time plan that involves consulting, but I'm sure looking at it as a retirement and if no actual work turns up we can make it just fine. Thanks Bogleheads! :sharebeer
Adding 6 months to the original plan makes tomorrow the day. I gave notice two weeks ago and am very excited. It is not easy leaving long term co-workers and tossing years of project files in the trash made me realize what has been accomplished. Happy to enter a glide retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

onthecusp wrote: Adding 6 months to the original plan makes tomorrow the day. I gave notice two weeks ago and am very excited. It is not easy leaving long term co-workers and tossing years of project files in the trash made me realize what has been accomplished. Happy to enter a glide retirement.
Very happy for you, onthecusp! I love the image of tossing years of project files in the trash :D especially knowing that they actually accomplished something throughout the years.

Welcome to your Glide Retirement and to this Awesome Retirement 2020 Class. Please keep us posted on how your glide goes and what you're up to.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
Daneo

Post by Daneo »

Hi retired in Jan this year after 40 years with same privately owned company did electrical and manufacturing equipment repair.Was very lucky to have owners who had a profit share retirement plan and were very generous a lot of 15 percent contribution years.Really miss the people there but not the stress of the job.Love sleeping in and having morning coffee with wife we do a nice hour hour and half walk in the hills every morning then off to gym most days work on the yard and spend a day or two on our rental complex. Did a month on the big island February then a few weeks in Scottsdale for spring training then COVID hit so back to Oregon where we’ve done a lot of trips, retirement has been awesome,Daneo
TOM1964

Post by TOM1964 »

I’m out. I worked for an airline the past 25 years, and they abruptly offered a buyout for two years of salary (at 70% of what I was making) and 5 years of medical benefits. I was planning on working no more than three more years anyway, so I bailed just shy of age 57. I’ll live longer this way.

I live in a rural, LCOL area though the taxes are above average. Spent the morning swimming laps at the local health club, spent the rest of the day stacking firewood for the coming winter, and now it’s time for cocktails. It’s unseasonably warm outside, with a gusty, raging wind. Must be awful to try to get a smooth landing in winds like that.

Best of luck to us all.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Daneo wrote: Hi retired in Jan this year after 40 years with same privately owned company did electrical and manufacturing equipment repair. Was very lucky to have owners who had a profit share retirement plan and were very generous a lot of 15 percent contribution years. Really miss the people there but not the stress of the job. Love sleeping in and having morning coffee with wife we do a nice hour hour and half walk in the hills every morning then off to gym most days work on the yard and spend a day or two on our rental complex. Did a month on the big island February then a few weeks in Scottsdale for spring training then COVID hit so back to Oregon where we’ve done a lot of trips, retirement has been awesome, Daneo
Congratulations, Daneo, on your retirement! You're on this great Roll Call. Sounds like you had a nice working life and created a financially comfortable retirement - who could ask for more? :D

Thank you for sharing your new retirement life with us and we're happy you find it awesome. We wish you many years of sleeping in and morning coffee with your wife, hikes through this great and beautiful country, and new and memorable retirement activities
:sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TOM1964 wrote: I’m out.
The two best words in retirement land 8-)
TOM1964 wrote: I worked for an airline the past 25 years, and they abruptly offered a buyout for two years of salary (at 70% of what I was making) and 5 years of medical benefits. I was planning on working no more than three more years anyway, so I bailed just shy of age 57. I’ll live longer this way.
A great retirement offer - time to punch out! Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class :D
TOM1964 wrote:I live in a rural, LCOL area though the taxes are above average. Spent the morning swimming laps at the local health club, spent the rest of the day stacking firewood for the coming winter, and now it’s time for cocktails. It’s unseasonably warm outside, with a gusty, raging wind. Must be awful to try to get a smooth landing in winds like that.

Best of luck to us all.
What an enjoyable beginning for you, thank you for sharing it with us :happy Also appreciated that you still see the world through the eyes and talents of your profession as a pilot - nice that you don't have to land those planes anymore!

Taylor posted this about retiring at age 57:
Taylor wrote:

I retired 36 years ago at the age of 57. Unquestionably one of the best decisions of my life.

What's not to like when I can wake up each morning at any time I want, to do whatever I want, including conversations with my Boglehead friends such as this.

It's a beautiful life . . .

Best wishes,
Taylor
TOM1964, we wish you a long and enjoyable retirement!