Best way to stream income from a lump sum pension

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bdbkt5

Best way to stream income from a lump sum pension

Post by bdbkt5 »

I am 50 years old. I am wondering what the best way to stream income from a $680K lump sum pension buyout? I will have about 70K cash in savings in a regular savings/checking account. I plan on working part time still. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
FiveK

Re: Best way to stream income from a lump sum pension

Post by FiveK »

If the part time income plus some withdrawal from the cash will pay expenses (including tax) for the next five years, a Roth conversion ladder may work well.
Topic Author
bdbkt5

Post by bdbkt5 »

That was one of the things I have been looking into. Thank you. I am trying to do my own research and came across this board.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

BestCoast123

Post by BestCoast123 »

bdbkt5 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm I am 50 years old. I am wondering what the best way to stream income from a $680K lump sum pension buyout? I will have about 70K cash in savings in a regular savings/checking account. I plan on working part time still. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you want an income stream, why not stick with the pension?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

BestCoast123 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:27 pm
bdbkt5 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm I am 50 years old. I am wondering what the best way to stream income from a $680K lump sum pension buyout? I will have about 70K cash in savings in a regular savings/checking account. I plan on working part time still. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you want an income stream, why not stick with the pension?
I agree. I generally think of an income stream as steady periodic payments ( monthly, quarterly, yearly). SS qualifies. Or an SPIA.

For myself in retirement, I picked a yearly percent recommended here (3.5 to 4%) as max from my investments. Calculate that amount and divide by 12. That is my monthly amount I pay myself on the first of each month.

Hope that helps.
chassis

Post by chassis »

Is there an option in the pension offer to take a stream of payments now? I am taking a lump sum from a previous employer's pension. Another option in the offer package included an annuity that would start immediately. This would stream income for you.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bdbkt5 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm I am 50 years old. I am wondering what the best way to stream income from a $680K lump sum pension buyout?
As others have said, an excellent option to “stream income” from an employer pension is to take a monthly income from the pension plan. Hope that’s an option for you.

You could roll the lump sum into a SPIA from an insurance company. But almost always the monthly income from a pension plan exceeds the monthly income from a SPIA.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Stinky wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:30 pm
bdbkt5 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm I am 50 years old. I am wondering what the best way to stream income from a $680K lump sum pension buyout?
As others have said, an excellent option to “stream income” from an employer pension is to take a monthly income from the pension plan. Hope that’s an option for you.

You could roll the lump sum into a SPIA from an insurance company. But almost always the monthly income from a pension plan exceeds the monthly income from a SPIA.
You could double check

www.immediateannuities.com

to get a rough estimate of what commercial life annuities would generate in terms of monthly/annual income, and compare that with what your pension plan would offer for similar terms (age at start, etc.).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.