Home Title Lock Coverage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
irishguy

Home Title Lock Coverage

Post by irishguy »

I'm wondering if anyone has explored purchasing coverage to help prevent someone from obtaining a quit claim deed (or the like?) for transfering ownership of a home residential property? I heard a radio commercial last night explaining how this can be somewhat easy for someone to accomplish.

Not sure if this is entirely true, but you would think it difficult for someone to forge documentation and accomplish this? I believe the company is named something like "Home Title Lock" and they supposedly have a "free" 33 day trial coverage being promoted. I haven't accessed their website for specifics and pricing but am just curious if anyone has explored this as a valid risk or currently have such coverage??
alpenglow

Re: Home Title Lock Coverage

Post by alpenglow »

My county lets you sign up for a "Homeowners Watch List" free of charge that alerts you of any changes to title, liens, and mortgages on your property.
grandmacassie

Post by grandmacassie »

DH is a lawyer. Has represented banks and drafted loan docs for 40 years. Every time he hears one of these ads for mortgage title lock insurance, he growls. Says it’s absurd. Says any lending institution that lends on a fraudulent title is on the hook for that error, NOT the homeowner. Says this insurance is a rip-off of the consumer.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Gimmick waste of money.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:13 pm Gimmick waste of money.
+1.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:13 pm Gimmick waste of money.
Agreed.

But the radio ads sure sound ominous.....
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
NoblesvilleIN

Post by NoblesvilleIN »

The county that I live in has an agreement with a service called "Doxpop" that you can sign up for. It sends an email anytime a document is recorded in your "area". The downside is that the email is not specific to your property, but is to a certain level of your parcel number. The one time we have gotten an email, we searched the county property records (online) for that partial parcel number and saw that a neighboring property (we are farmland) had changed hands. No cost to us for this service. In signing up for this service, I noticed that many counties in my state also use that service. You might see if your county offers something similar. While the warning service is free, Doxpop wants you to pay for a copy of the recording. Our county makes those documents available at no cost for viewing and that should be suffecient for our needs.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I'm glad someone asked about this. I have heard the ads many times on the radio and thought it was bogus, just a way to get you to pay for something, but who knows? It seems the consensus is what I assumed. Thanks!
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

A bank has to work very hard to lend mortgage money to the wrong person. If they succeed, that still doesn’t make it my problem. If it becomes my problem, I’ll ensure they pay me for the trouble.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

irishguy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:42 pm I'm wondering if anyone has explored purchasing coverage to help prevent someone from obtaining a quit claim deed (or the like?) for transfering ownership of a home residential property? I heard a radio commercial last night explaining how this can be somewhat easy for someone to accomplish.

Not sure if this is entirely true, but you would think it difficult for someone to forge documentation and accomplish this? I believe the company is named something like "Home Title Lock" and they supposedly have a "free" 33 day trial coverage being promoted. I haven't accessed their website for specifics and pricing but am just curious if anyone has explored this as a valid risk or currently have such coverage??
Discussed here

Deed fraud (on your home)- anyone have insight?

Maybe that commercial becomes common in Fall for some reason.