Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
peseta
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by peseta »

My wife and I each have a car. Since the pandemic started and we've been working from home, she has rarely used her car, and mine has been used sparingly as well. Even with small kids, I can probably count on one hand the number of times both of us have been using our cars at the same time since covid started.

We were planning on upgrading her car sometime in the first half of next year. I heard on Clark Howard's show that used car prices have spiked for weird supply-demand reasons related to the pandemic. Indeed they have -- her car's value per KBB and Edmunds is up 15% or so since the beginning of the year.

So, we're thinking of striking while the iron is hot. I got an offer from CarMax today that is actually in line with private party estimates. It seems to make sense to downside to one car now, and get her upgraded replacement next year (probably timed with a return to the office). Not only can we take advantage of the market, we can save on car insurance and other expenses related to her car for a little while.

Any downsides I'm missing here? Thanks!
Tingting1013
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by Tingting1013 »

No downsides except to check Carvana, Vroom, and Shift for potentially even higher offer.
LittleMaggieMae
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

is there some benefit on the sales taxes you would pay when you buy the new car if you have a 'trade in"? and is the amount substantial?

I've heard some states have a thing where say your new car is 40K and you are getting 10K for your trade in vehicle... the sales tax on your new car is calculated on 40K - 10K = 30K.

I didn't actually do any math - so I have no idea if this would even make a difference in the big picture.
User avatar
Topic Author
peseta
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by peseta »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:17 pm is there some benefit on the sales taxes you would pay when you buy the new car if you have a 'trade in"? and is the amount substantial?

I've heard some states have a thing where say your new car is 40K and you are getting 10K for your trade in vehicle... the sales tax on your new car is calculated on 40K - 10K = 30K.

I didn't actually do any math - so I have no idea if this would even make a difference in the big picture.
Thanks -- in my state there is no such benefit.
delamer
Posts: 10519
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by delamer »

I am not 100% clear which car you are selling. Is it your wife’s cuurent vehicle?

If so, is your car the better option for the family if you’ll only have one vehicle?

Also, if you get a multi-vehicle discount on your insurance, the cost for the vehicle that you keep may go up (although your savings will still be substantial).
User avatar
Watty
Posts: 20669
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by Watty »

peseta wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm Any downsides I'm missing here?
One potential problem is that when you get to the point where you need two cars again then you may need to buy a car in a hurry even if you can't find a good deal on the type of car you want.

For example at some point you may be notified by one of your employers that you need to start going back into the office next week. If both the person going into the office and the person working from home then needed a car then you would need to buy a car in a hurry in an equally bad car market.

I have had to buy a replacement car in a hurry and that is not a lot of fun.
User avatar
wander
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by wander »

I still keep my cars because all I pay is $200 (insurance) and $75 (DMV renewal) a year. When the pandemic is over and you are required to go back to work like before, you will have to buy car again. You may get better deal, but for me it's not worth time since I am driving an old car. But it may make sense to you.
Tingting1013
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by Tingting1013 »

wander wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:00 pm I still keep my cars because all I pay is $200 (insurance) and $75 (DMV renewal) a year. When the pandemic is over and you are required to go back to work like before, you will have to buy car again. You may get better deal, but for me it's not worth time since I am driving an old car. But it may make sense to you.
You also pay depreciation.
User avatar
wander
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by wander »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 pm
wander wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:00 pm I still keep my cars because all I pay is $200 (insurance) and $75 (DMV renewal) a year. When the pandemic is over and you are required to go back to work like before, you will have to buy car again. You may get better deal, but for me it's not worth time since I am driving an old car. But it may make sense to you.
You also pay depreciation.
That's correct. That's why I mention my car is old so depreciation is nothing.
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9109
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by whodidntante »

Depreciation is the main expense here, but as a connoisseur of fine hoopties, I can tell you that a car sitting unused will have surprisingly high maintenance costs per mile driven. If you have expensive cars, you are probably better off financially to sell one. Preferably the one that is worth the most. Maybe you'll end up taking an Uber a few times if they aren't bankrupt yet.
MikeG62
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by MikeG62 »

Watty wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:20 pm
peseta wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm Any downsides I'm missing here?
One potential problem is that when you get to the point where you need two cars again then you may need to buy a car in a hurry even if you can't find a good deal on the type of car you want.

For example at some point you may be notified by one of your employers that you need to start going back into the office next week. If both the person going into the office and the person working from home then needed a car then you would need to buy a car in a hurry in an equally bad car market.

I have had to buy a replacement car in a hurry and that is not a lot of fun.
Agree - this is the main risk in my mind.

Assuming you are comfortable with this risk, I think it makes sense in your circumstance.

FWIW, the lease on my Audi ended in late July. I turned in my SUV and ordered a new 2021 MY of the same vehicle. Estimated delivery is Nov of this year. DW and I have been using her SUV. We are retired so much less risk one of both of us will need the car to run to the office. Since I've not yet returned to the gym this remains workable. Once I go back, might be more of a challenge. By then I hope my new vehicle has arrived. Saving on lease payment and auto insurance in the meantime. Savings will go to offset one-time upfront costs of the new lease (bank fee, doc fee, MV fee, etc...).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
chemocean
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by chemocean »

We downsized to one car during COVID: A high-mile range (50-70) electric hybrid. Since we have not taken road trip since COVID, we have not put gas in the car. The hybrid is nice for road trips, since we do not have to worry about charging anxiety.
Check with insurance company about your car insurance costs with one car. You will be surprised that going to one car will not save you that much in auto insurance because of the large multi-car discount on each car.
User avatar
gr7070
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by gr7070 »

Meh.

What if values continue to rise; you'd lose selling it now. Unsure how you know where the car market is going.

Additionally, you're (potentially) only gaining 15% of what I presume is an older, lower value car.

I'm not inclined to go out of my way for this savings. It'd be different if this was an indefinite, lifestyle change; but for a year and modest savings. Meh.
Mike Scott
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by Mike Scott »

Sounds like it should work for you. Just start casually watching the car market so you don't end up in a rushed or surprise purchase when you need the new car. You may even decide you don't need two cars at all. I was thinking about a new car this year but decided my old car can hold out a little longer until (perhaps) some of the economic uncertainty and job risk settles back to "normal". I was also watching for the great pandemic car sale which never really happened; maybe next time and I've got my three top choices picked already.
User avatar
Topic Author
peseta
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by peseta »

Thanks all for their thoughts. To answer a few questions from above, we'd be keeping the larger family car. My wife was already working remote before covid, and I work for the feds, so I will have at least several weeks notice of a return to the office (i.e., little likelihood of needing to make a spur-of-he-moment purchase). I live near mass transit; I usually drive to our local station and ride the train in during normal times, but I can easily bike there for a bit if necessary.

I'll update this thread when we finalize our decision, appreciate all the input.
mr_brightside
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by mr_brightside »

you'd save a bunch that's for sure

and don't forget -- if you ever 'need' and second car -- you can always rent one for the necessary time period...

we have started renting cars / minivans for our longer road trips ... less wear and tear on our daily drivers (1,000 mile + trips)
remember Enron?? I do
User avatar
Topic Author
peseta
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by peseta »

So, we are keeping the car after all. This is despite the fact it probably makes the most financial sense to sell it. I think my spouse was ultimately more uncomfortable about selling the car than it seemed the first time we talked. Since the car is 10 years old and largely depreciated, it's not costing us all that much to keep it. Money isn't everything.

That said, downsizing to one car might make sense for others -- I definitely see the logic of it.

Thanks, all!
User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by 8foot7 »

We did exactly this. We sold wife's car to Carvana a couple of weeks back. We're having twins next week, so she'll be at home through at least February and then may not return to an office for several months after that. I've worked at home for two decades now as much as I want, and my SUV is older but in fine shape. We may need to make a car change due to the size of the family (4 boys, 3 in car seats + a dog + the two of us) but saw no reason to have a depreciating car sitting in the driveway for six months+ while it literally wasn't being used at all. (I had to drive it around to make sure the battery stayed charged.)

Surprisingly my wife was on board nearly from the start. I reminded her if this didn't work out, we can literally go out and buy another car the same day if we really had to. That convinced her.

I don't doubt we'll spend some money on a car but it is nice to have that car gone and be a little more efficient with our capital right now.
hightower
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by hightower »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:17 pm is there some benefit on the sales taxes you would pay when you buy the new car if you have a 'trade in"? and is the amount substantial?

I've heard some states have a thing where say your new car is 40K and you are getting 10K for your trade in vehicle... the sales tax on your new car is calculated on 40K - 10K = 30K.

I didn't actually do any math - so I have no idea if this would even make a difference in the big picture.
Yes, this does happen in my state (Ohio). You don't have to pay tax on the value of the trade in as you describe above. If you sell it privately, you need to make sure you're selling it for more than your trade-in offers otherwise you're better off trading it in and saving on taxes. The savings can be substantial. For instance, I'm trading in my Honda Ridgeline valued at 33500 for a Model Y soon. Since our sales tax is 7%, that's $2,345 in taxes I don't have to pay on the new car. If I were to sell the car privately, I'd need to make sure I was getting at least $33,500 + $2,345 or I'd be better off trading in.
BigMoneyGrip
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by BigMoneyGrip »

We did this as well. Hoping to hold out until June/July 2021, but won't be an issue if things open up before then and we have to go buy something else.
surveyor
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:05 am

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by surveyor »

My wife didn't like her car and we sold it to Carmax in May. Sports came into play this Fall and we ended up double booked on two nights. We managed but it was a lot of driving. We are searching for a "fun" late 60's convertible that is in good shape.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 66350
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Soon2BXProgrammer
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

peseta wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm My wife and I each have a car. Since the pandemic started and we've been working from home, she has rarely used her car, and mine has been used sparingly as well. Even with small kids, I can probably count on one hand the number of times both of us have been using our cars at the same time since covid started.

We were planning on upgrading her car sometime in the first half of next year. I heard on Clark Howard's show that used car prices have spiked for weird supply-demand reasons related to the pandemic. Indeed they have -- her car's value per KBB and Edmunds is up 15% or so since the beginning of the year.

So, we're thinking of striking while the iron is hot. I got an offer from CarMax today that is actually in line with private party estimates. It seems to make sense to downside to one car now, and get her upgraded replacement next year (probably timed with a return to the office). Not only can we take advantage of the market, we can save on car insurance and other expenses related to her car for a little while.

Any downsides I'm missing here? Thanks!
We went from 3 cars (for 2 people) to 2 cars.
User avatar
slow n steady
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by slow n steady »

My wife and I have three young children and we downsized to one car in March (not covid related). I have a work vehicle that I can take home but I can't use it for anything outside of work.

We were concerned that we would both have to be in different places at the same time. I reasoned with the money we are saving we could easily pay for uber whenever this happens. In the last Seven months this has happened zero times.

I actually really enjoy the extra space and mental space from not having the extra car.

I say go for it! If it ends up being a terrible experience (low percentage chance of that happening), you can always get her new vehicle earlier than planned.

Good luck!
atikovi
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Location: Suburban Washington DC

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by atikovi »

Unless this is a hot sports or elegant luxury car, I'd be bored to death having to drive the same car day in and day out. Now if you view cars as just an appliance, that's a different story. Even then, there are some homes with two ovens or refrigerators.
harrychan
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by harrychan »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm No downsides except to check Carvana, Vroom, and Shift for potentially even higher offer.
Beware. I experienced bait and switch with one of these companies where they initially gave a slightly higher estimate than Carmax but lowered it by $2000 claiming scratches and the car having stain in the rear seats (the car interior was black..). I demanded they return the car and they relented and matched Carmax's offer.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
123
Posts: 6408
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by 123 »

atikovi wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 pm Unless this is a hot sports or elegant luxury car, I'd be bored to death having to drive the same car day in and day out. Now if you view cars as just an appliance, that's a different story. Even then, there are some homes with two ovens or refrigerators.
We have multiple bathrooms in our home, who wants to use the same toilet all the time?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Tingting1013
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by Tingting1013 »

harrychan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm No downsides except to check Carvana, Vroom, and Shift for potentially even higher offer.
Beware. I experienced bait and switch with one of these companies where they initially gave a slightly higher estimate than Carmax but lowered it by $2000 claiming scratches and the car having stain in the rear seats (the car interior was black..). I demanded they return the car and they relented and matched Carmax's offer.
Shift will come to your house and make you a final offer on the spot for you to decide. Vroom is a bit of a gamble as you have to mail in your title and send off your car first before the final offer arrives. Don’t know about Carvana.
atikovi
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Location: Suburban Washington DC

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by atikovi »

123 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:01 pm
atikovi wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 pm Unless this is a hot sports or elegant luxury car, I'd be bored to death having to drive the same car day in and day out. Now if you view cars as just an appliance, that's a different story. Even then, there are some homes with two ovens or refrigerators.
We have multiple bathrooms in our home, who wants to use the same toilet all the time?
Can't have too many thrones in your castle.
harrychan
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by harrychan »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm
harrychan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm No downsides except to check Carvana, Vroom, and Shift for potentially even higher offer.
Beware. I experienced bait and switch with one of these companies where they initially gave a slightly higher estimate than Carmax but lowered it by $2000 claiming scratches and the car having stain in the rear seats (the car interior was black..). I demanded they return the car and they relented and matched Carmax's offer.
Shift will come to your house and make you a final offer on the spot for you to decide. Vroom is a bit of a gamble as you have to mail in your title and send off your car first before the final offer arrives. Don’t know about Carvana.
SHIFT came to my home and gave an initial estimate through email. Then they drove the car to their shop for an extensive review is where they dropped the value and final offer.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Tingting1013
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Downsizing to one car in a pandemic

Post by Tingting1013 »

harrychan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:11 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm
harrychan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm No downsides except to check Carvana, Vroom, and Shift for potentially even higher offer.
Beware. I experienced bait and switch with one of these companies where they initially gave a slightly higher estimate than Carmax but lowered it by $2000 claiming scratches and the car having stain in the rear seats (the car interior was black..). I demanded they return the car and they relented and matched Carmax's offer.
Shift will come to your house and make you a final offer on the spot for you to decide. Vroom is a bit of a gamble as you have to mail in your title and send off your car first before the final offer arrives. Don’t know about Carvana.
SHIFT came to my home and gave an initial estimate through email. Then they drove the car to their shop for an extensive review is where they dropped the value and final offer.
Huh maybe they have different procedures in different markets.
Post Reply