Tax efficient way to convert single stock position to index fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
passiverisktaker

Tax efficient way to convert single stock position to index fund

Post by passiverisktaker »

Hi All,

I am overly invested in a single stock (almost 50% of my portfolio). I have held the stock for more than 10 years. If sold outright I would owe lots in capital gains. I do not need the money but want to reduce the exposure and risk. I anticipate retiring in 10 years and then tap into the investment.

I have been advised that it is possible to put everything in a trust (am in Florida) and can then use some custom funds to move from single stock to a more balanced portfolio. But I can't find any reliable transparent information from reputable sources on this.

Would really appreciate if the knowledgeable folks on this forum can advise on a tax efficient way to reduce the exposure and risk of owning large portion of your portfolio in a single stock.

thanks.
mhalley

Re: Tax efficient way to convert single stock position to index fund

Post by mhalley »

Paying taxes is good, means you made money. Unless you put it in a charitable trust or daf, I don’t think putting it in a trust eliminates the capital gains.
https://finance.zacks.com/happens-cost- ... 10577.html
I would figure out how much you are willing to pay in taxes each year and sell that many share yearly.
Gill

Post by Gill »

passiverisktaker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:39 pm I have been advised that it is possible to put everything in a trust (am in Florida) and can then use some custom funds to move from single stock to a more balanced portfolio. But I can't find any reliable transparent information from reputable sources on this.
At one time it was permissible to deliver a single holding to a fund and receive shares of the diversified fund in a tax free exchange.This was plugged in the tax law some time ago.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
sport

Post by sport »

If you have any other holdings that you can sell at a loss, you can sell enough with gains to offset the loss thus owing no taxes.
sport

Post by sport »

If you make donations to charities, you can give appreciated shares instead of cash. Then use that cash for investing as you choose. For shares held more than one year, the appreciated value is a deductible item and you pay no tax on the gains.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I don't know the details, but my understanding is that you can use shares in a single company to join an exchange fund that's pooled with others. There's all sorts of stipulations on it along with high fees. Similar to how you can sell real estate and do a 1031 into a REIT.

It really sounds like it's one of those things where you need like 7 figures in a single stock before it makes sense. Probably not a "Boglehead" move but for someone who had a crazy amount in a single stock, might make sense.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the-ta ... 1560794410

Post by 000 »

One could buy protective put options to secure the position while unwinding it. Of course there is a premium for this.

My understanding (not a tax expert) is that once a stock hits LTCG, buying protective puts does not change that, but if you buy protective puts on a stock with short term capital gains, it restarts the STCG clock.
Gill

Post by Gill »

illumination wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm I don't know the details, but my understanding is that you can use shares in a single company to join an exchange fund that's pooled with others. There's all sorts of stipulations on it along with high fees. Similar to how you can sell real estate and do a 1031 into a REIT.

It really sounds like it's one of those things where you need like 7 figures in a single stock before it makes sense. Probably not a "Boglehead" move but for someone who had a crazy amount in a single stock, might make sense.

See my post above. This is no longer permitted.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

If you regularly donate to charity (and I hope you do!), then instead of donating cash to the charity, donate some of the appreciated shares, and simultaneously take the cash you would have otherwise donated to the charity, and use it to buy the index fund of your choice. A similar maneuver can be done using a donor advised fund (DAF), and in that case you can donate several years worth to the DAF, and then year after year, use the DAF as your source for charitable contributions.
Steve
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

passiverisktaker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:39 pm...but want to reduce the exposure and risk.
You have to make a decision how much you are willing to pay to reduce exposure and risk. I certainly wouldn't want to enter retirement with 50% of my assets in one stock. I would take a look at selling a little bit (maybe to the top of your current tax bracket) each year for the next 10 years. Maybe get it down to 20 or 30%. That is still high but it would let me sleep at night.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

No one seems to have mentioned it yet, but for sure turn off any dividend reinvestment.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Gill wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:09 pm
illumination wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm I don't know the details, but my understanding is that you can use shares in a single company to join an exchange fund that's pooled with others. There's all sorts of stipulations on it along with high fees. Similar to how you can sell real estate and do a 1031 into a REIT.

Gill
What year was the change? The article from Barrons was from 2019. Was there a change in the law after this?
clown

Post by clown »

With all due respect to the previous responders, I recommend consulting a tax attorney in Florida to see what is permitted under Florida law. Previous responders may be from other states so their expertise may not be applicable to your situation. Buying an hour of attorney time is probably money well spent. As opposed to an attorney, an Enrolled Agent may be a less expensive choice. Although EAs know the IRS rules inside out, they may not be up to speed with Florida state law. Worth exploring, in my view.
LFS1234

Post by LFS1234 »

passiverisktaker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:39 pm Hi All,

I am overly invested in a single stock (almost 50% of my portfolio). I have held the stock for more than 10 years. If sold outright I would owe lots in capital gains. I do not need the money but want to reduce the exposure and risk. I anticipate retiring in 10 years and then tap into the investment.

I have been advised that it is possible to put everything in a trust (am in Florida) and can then use some custom funds to move from single stock to a more balanced portfolio. But I can't find any reliable transparent information from reputable sources on this.

Would really appreciate if the knowledgeable folks on this forum can advise on a tax efficient way to reduce the exposure and risk of owning large portion of your portfolio in a single stock.

thanks.
Gill writes that these arrangements no longer are permitted. In the article linked upthread, Barrons wrote (in 2019) that they are. Both are highly credible sources. Noting that the exchange fund arrangements Barrons describes entail lots of caveats including a 7-year lockup (you may be able to get out early by paying a penalty) and a requirement that at least 20% of the fund be in illiquid investments, it sounds like the only two firms now creating such funds, Goldman Sachs and Eaton Vance, may have found a permitted way to do something which generally no longer is permitted.

I looked into something like this decades ago, and my number one reservation at the time was adverse selection. People who believe their concentrated stock positions are undervalued are relatively unlikely to participate in this type of arrangement. People who believe that their concentrated stock positions are grossly overvalued will be desperate to take advantage of this type of arrangement. Consequently, I would expect the average results of these pools to be unsatisfactory even before taking into account the facilitators' fees, which most likely are high.

OP is in Florida, where there is no state level income tax. The capital gains brackets are 0%, 15%, 20% and 23.8% (including NIIT). This means that even in the worst-case tax scenario, OP's glass would be 76.2% full and only 23.8% empty, while attaining maximum flexibility as far as reinvestment options are concerned, and paying zero fees to anyone. This is a pretty good deal. Depending on the size of the investment and the speed at which OP wants out, even more favorable tax treatment can be obtained by spreading out sales over a number of years.

My general experience has been that there are times when it makes sense just to bite the tax bullet, rather than getting tied up in limiting and expensive "tax-advantaged" solutions. For high income people in high-tax CA or NY the calculus may be different, but for those who can stay in the 15% - 23.8% bracket, my general default attitude is to pay the taxes and move on.
Gill

Post by Gill »

illumination wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:53 pm
Gill wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Gill
What year was the change? The article from Barrons was from 2019. Was there a change in the law after this?
Upon further reflection and a little bit of research, it seems I am speaking of the older "swap funds" or "exchange funds" and Barron's is discussing a newer form with very limited restrictions which is now permissable. The older swap funds, which are no longer allowed, permitted an investor to exchange highly appreciated stock for shares in a diversified mutual fund which could then be sold with no restrictions. The newer form is not nearly as attractive and has restrictions including the receipt of non publicly traded securities which would make it unappealing to most investors and probably also the OP. I don't feel qualified to discuss these at length but I now see why our statements differed.
Gill
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Longdog wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 pm If you regularly donate to charity (and I hope you do!), then instead of donating cash to the charity, donate some of the appreciated shares, and simultaneously take the cash you would have otherwise donated to the charity, and use it to buy the index fund of your choice. A similar maneuver can be done using a donor advised fund (DAF), and in that case you can donate several years worth to the DAF, and then year after year, use the DAF as your source for charitable contributions.
And if you want to donate only part of the stock to charity, donate the lowest-basis shares to charity and sell the highest-basis shares. You might well be able to donate half the stock and get rid of 3/4 of the capital gain.
Wiki David Grabiner