What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
phxjcc
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by phxjcc »

Came for the “I bought a GT3 RS”

Left.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:30 am Came for the “I bought a GT3 RS”

Left.
I'm sorry to disappoint. Maybe the others were right and $3 million is not enough to feel comfortable driving around a $200k car.
hunoraut
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by hunoraut »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am I just wanted to come back and respond update this thread. I will also update OP. Since starting this discussion we have paid off the mortgage and have over $3 million plus enough money to purchase a nice car. This occurred much faster than expected thanks to rebalancing in March, our robust economy, as well as being lucky to stay employed and healthy.

Since starting this thread a few months back, I have rented and/or test driven many cars and here is what I came up with.

Although driving an exotic sports car is amazing, I realize also it is a stressful ownership experience. Parking the car and making sure no one dings it made the whole experience less fun, and I was just renting the car. I tried treating the car as if I owned it which lead to that experience.

I love to drive and an exotic car although fun to drive is not something I am willing to take to the track and really get the most out of it.

With the above being said I realize that what I really want is a track car I can enjoy driving fast without the fear of destroying it, while having something fun to drive around town that I wont have to worry leaving in a parking lot. My new plan is to get either a Miata or maybe a Cayman and get back to HPDE (high performance driving education.) After getting better and more comfortable with manual I may consider getting a trailer and purchasing or building a track only car. I am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package. The other option is a Cayman GTS which later on I could install roll bars and a 4 point restraint to make it my track only car if it depreciates. I may not do that if the car's value goes up over time.

I thank everyone here for their input.
Some of us concluded this much much earlier in the thread 😃

If you want fast/sexy/exotic/impressive car, there's a thousand options and a thousand opinion.

If you wanted a FUN car, it's Caterham, Lotus, Miata, Alpine, or any of the few truly lightweight RWD street-legal cars still in production.
Bobby206
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by Bobby206 »

I have been a car guy at times in my life but in hindsight I think it was really a waste of money for me. Took me until now to get there but I really think it's a waste. I can afford any car I want but it's not even in the top 10 list of desires these days.
phxjcc
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by phxjcc »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:38 am
phxjcc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:30 am Came for the “I bought a GT3 RS”

Left.
I'm sorry to disappoint. Maybe the others were right and $3 million is not enough to feel comfortable driving around a $200k car.
There is a continuum that starts with FIRE and ends with YOLO.

THere is no RIGHT answer.
As in a(g) = 36 ft/s^2

Only opinions, shaded by life experiences and expectations.

Oh, and forget the GTS, go to the CA Porsche experience and try the GT4.
harikaried
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by harikaried »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 amI am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package.
You might want to check out Doug DeMuro's video on the Model 3 Performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvsnIL0AIAk In his car awards last year, he gave the Best Vehicle award to the Model 3 Performance saying it gives access to so much acceleration without needing to pay so much for other vehicles. His most popular videos/reviews are of Bugatti, McLaren, Ferrari; so he's had plenty of experience testing out sports and exotic cars.

Earlier this year, Tesla released "Track Mode v2" that allows adjusting vehicle handling and provides real-time monitoring. Here's a video review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22nlFwIJZY
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

harikaried wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:57 am
ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 amI am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package.
You might want to check out Doug DeMuro's video on the Model 3 Performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvsnIL0AIAk In his car awards last year, he gave the Best Vehicle award to the Model 3 Performance saying it gives access to so much acceleration without needing to pay so much for other vehicles. His most popular videos/reviews are of Bugatti, McLaren, Ferrari; so he's had plenty of experience testing out sports and exotic cars.

Earlier this year, Tesla released "Track Mode v2" that allows adjusting vehicle handling and provides real-time monitoring. Here's a video review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22nlFwIJZY
Thanks, I have seen many Doug videos but not the Tesla one.
Can a Tesla Model 3 really be a track car? How do you even recharge the thing fast enough to be ready for another 20 minute session?
stoptothink
Posts: 8314
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by stoptothink »

Bobby206 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am I have been a car guy at times in my life but in hindsight I think it was really a waste of money for me. Took me until now to get there but I really think it's a waste. I can afford any car I want but it's not even in the top 10 list of desires these days.
Same, I'll talk cars all day but all it took for me was getting my '00 Honda Civic Si (that I bought myself as a graduation present) to cure me of that itch. My brother was in town this past weekend and I got to drive around in his Porsche turbo S; fun, I guess, but totally unremarkable on a public street. Not saying it is everyone that buys an exotic for street driving, but for him it is clearly wealth signaling.
User avatar
MortgageOnBlack
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

Tesla Model 3 and I'd pocket the rest
bluelight
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:08 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by bluelight »

Get the Cayman, join your local Porsche club and participate in DE, rallies and treks. You'll have a blast.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

Bobby206 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am I have been a car guy at times in my life but in hindsight I think it was really a waste of money for me. Took me until now to get there but I really think it's a waste. I can afford any car I want but it's not even in the top 10 list of desires these days.
I can really appreciate that. I enjoy cars as well, I even have a love hate relationship with wrenching on them. But I have always enjoyed driving them on a track. As much as I would like to own something exotic, I realize just how silly it is now that I got to experience it just a little. I like driving cars to their limits, not staring at them in the garage.
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 12648
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you have not already, watch Doug's Cayman GT-4 review. It is one of those cars he really, REALLY likes, which does not include the Huayra, any Lamborghini or McLaren. It's fun and doesn't leave him constantly scared and nervous, like Miata, 04 STi, S2000. The GT-4 is sort of Porsche's 911 GT-3 for this year as the GT-3 isn't offered. It has the flat 6 N/A with a proper manual offered. As with any GT-3, the suspension is firmer than a normal Cayman or 911, which is going to be a big help on the track. Order one new and just avoid the accessory list. You'll get it for $100k. Porsches are ordered like a 1963 Chevy where every little (stupid) option is available (including painting it to your supplied sample, any color), but the price of the car gets stupid pretty quick. It isn't out of line to double the base price of the car if you get carried away.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
stoptothink
Posts: 8314
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by stoptothink »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 pm
Bobby206 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am I have been a car guy at times in my life but in hindsight I think it was really a waste of money for me. Took me until now to get there but I really think it's a waste. I can afford any car I want but it's not even in the top 10 list of desires these days.
I can really appreciate that. I enjoy cars as well, I even have a love hate relationship with wrenching on them. But I have always enjoyed driving them on a track. As much as I would like to own something exotic, I realize just how silly it is now that I got to experience it just a little. I like driving cars to their limits, not staring at them in the garage.
My neighbor is a sales manager at CarMax, he gets to take a car home every week. I don't believe he's had any Italians, but he's had every German (not sure about Porsche RS') along with ZR1, Z06, hellcat, Mustang GT 350R, etc...He always goes back to a miata or fiesta ST; something he can just take the local mountain roads and enjoy. IMO, riding passenger in a miata with him was more "fun" than driving my brother's turbo S.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:44 pm
ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 pm
Bobby206 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am I have been a car guy at times in my life but in hindsight I think it was really a waste of money for me. Took me until now to get there but I really think it's a waste. I can afford any car I want but it's not even in the top 10 list of desires these days.
I can really appreciate that. I enjoy cars as well, I even have a love hate relationship with wrenching on them. But I have always enjoyed driving them on a track. As much as I would like to own something exotic, I realize just how silly it is now that I got to experience it just a little. I like driving cars to their limits, not staring at them in the garage.
My neighbor is a sales manager at CarMax, he gets to take a car home every week. I don't believe he's had any Italians, but he's had every German (not sure about Porsche RS') along with ZR1, Z06, hellcat, Mustang GT 350R, etc...He always goes back to a miata or fiesta ST; something he can just take the local mountain roads and enjoy. IMO, riding passenger in a miata with him was more "fun" than driving my brother's turbo S.
The only problem I had with the miata was that my heals rub in the footwell. I think it is designed for a smaller foot than mine. Maybe I need smaller shoes :shock:
SundayMorning
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by SundayMorning »

How 'bout waiting for the C8 Corvette Zora? Should be in that $150K + range. Likely limited numbers will be made for that trim level.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

SundayMorning wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:57 pm How 'bout waiting for the C8 Corvette Zora? Should be in that $150K + range. Likely limited numbers will be made for that trim level.
I don't think I want to wait past 2025 for this one.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:49 am
ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:38 am
phxjcc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:30 am Came for the “I bought a GT3 RS”

Left.
I'm sorry to disappoint. Maybe the others were right and $3 million is not enough to feel comfortable driving around a $200k car.
There is a continuum that starts with FIRE and ends with YOLO.

THere is no RIGHT answer.
As in a(g) = 36 ft/s^2

Only opinions, shaded by life experiences and expectations.

Oh, and forget the GTS, go to the CA Porsche experience and try the GT4.
I don't understand your formula
fyre4ce
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by fyre4ce »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am I just wanted to come back and respond update this thread. I will also update OP. Since starting this discussion we have paid off the mortgage and have over $3 million plus enough money to purchase a nice car. This occurred much faster than expected thanks to rebalancing in March, our robust economy, as well as being lucky to stay employed and healthy.

Since starting this thread a few months back, I have rented and/or test driven many cars and here is what I came up with.

Although driving an exotic sports car is amazing, I realize also it is a stressful ownership experience. Parking the car and making sure no one dings it made the whole experience less fun, and I was just renting the car. I tried treating the car as if I owned it which lead to that experience.

I love to drive and an exotic car although fun to drive is not something I am willing to take to the track and really get the most out of it.

With the above being said I realize that what I really want is a track car I can enjoy driving fast without the fear of destroying it, while having something fun to drive around town that I wont have to worry leaving in a parking lot. My new plan is to get either a Miata or maybe a Cayman and get back to HPDE (high performance driving education.) After getting better and more comfortable with manual I may consider getting a trailer and purchasing or building a track only car. I am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package. The other option is a Cayman GTS which later on I could install roll bars and a 4 point restraint to make it my track only car if it depreciates. I may not do that if the car's value goes up over time.

I thank everyone here for their input.
Congrats on your success and health! Also, I believe you are making a very smart choice on the cars. A dedicated track car will let you get maximum use and enjoyment out of the performance you pay for, and then you can have a comfortable, fun, and practical daily driver too. It's good to learn track driving on a lower-power car; it helps you become a better driver. But you clearly have the resources to move up to something more serious like a 911 Cup car when you're ready. You'll have way more fun in the Cup car, or even the Miata, than you will getting groceries in a Lambo or something. :sharebeer
gonefishing01
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by gonefishing01 »

I’ve owned one fast car and a few slow but fun rear wheel drive cars. In my experience, I had much more fun driving slow cars fast at tracks or auto cross than driving a fancy fast car almost anywhere. “Man in the car Paradox” chapter of Morgan Housel’s book The Psychology of Money is good food for thought. You’re on the right track with the Miata!
edge
Posts: 3484
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: NY

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by edge »

Tesla model3 feels too heavy to be a track car imo.

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:25 pm
harikaried wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:57 am
ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 amI am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package.
You might want to check out Doug DeMuro's video on the Model 3 Performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvsnIL0AIAk In his car awards last year, he gave the Best Vehicle award to the Model 3 Performance saying it gives access to so much acceleration without needing to pay so much for other vehicles. His most popular videos/reviews are of Bugatti, McLaren, Ferrari; so he's had plenty of experience testing out sports and exotic cars.

Earlier this year, Tesla released "Track Mode v2" that allows adjusting vehicle handling and provides real-time monitoring. Here's a video review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22nlFwIJZY
Thanks, I have seen many Doug videos but not the Tesla one.
Can a Tesla Model 3 really be a track car? How do you even recharge the thing fast enough to be ready for another 20 minute session?
Ykcor
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by Ykcor »

If I had a car that cost that much I would claim it as my homestead.
Keenobserver
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by Keenobserver »

Enjoy your life. Most folks are gona die penny pinching and their heirs will enjoy the money they never had the guts to spend. With $ 3 million, you are a multi millionare. Some guys here could have $ 50 million and continue to penny pinch and leave it all for their ungreatful heirs to plunder
bogledogle
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by bogledogle »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am I just wanted to come back and respond update this thread. I will also update OP. Since starting this discussion we have paid off the mortgage and have over $3 million plus enough money to purchase a nice car. This occurred much faster than expected thanks to rebalancing in March, our robust economy, as well as being lucky to stay employed and healthy.

Since starting this thread a few months back, I have rented and/or test driven many cars and here is what I came up with.

Although driving an exotic sports car is amazing, I realize also it is a stressful ownership experience. Parking the car and making sure no one dings it made the whole experience less fun, and I was just renting the car. I tried treating the car as if I owned it which lead to that experience.

I love to drive and an exotic car although fun to drive is not something I am willing to take to the track and really get the most out of it.

With the above being said I realize that what I really want is a track car I can enjoy driving fast without the fear of destroying it, while having something fun to drive around town that I wont have to worry leaving in a parking lot. My new plan is to get either a Miata or maybe a Cayman and get back to HPDE (high performance driving education.) After getting better and more comfortable with manual I may consider getting a trailer and purchasing or building a track only car. I am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package. The other option is a Cayman GTS which later on I could install roll bars and a 4 point restraint to make it my track only car if it depreciates. I may not do that if the car's value goes up over time.

I thank everyone here for their input.

Get a Cayman GTS and you wont regret it. I have one and I love it. I tried out the GT4 and a few flavors of the 911, Alpha 4c & Lotus Evora before going with the Cayman. GT3 was on the list along with a few others, but saved that for later. I really wanted to get in on the 981 Cayman GTS before they were all off market and I won't be able to find a nice one.

Also, if you don't already know how to drive a manual , do not buy a manual because it's cool and try to learn it in HPDE or track. Trust me you will be much happier with a PDK from Porsche. I know folks who bought a manual transmission and ended up not enjoying the car. Try out a Cayman GTS with a PDK in Sport+ mode if you have not driven one.
alfaspider
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by alfaspider »

There you have it. Miata is always the answer.
Veni Vidi Decessi
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by Veni Vidi Decessi »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:09 pm
phxjcc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:49 am
ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:38 am
phxjcc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:30 am Came for the “I bought a GT3 RS”

Left.
I'm sorry to disappoint. Maybe the others were right and $3 million is not enough to feel comfortable driving around a $200k car.
There is a continuum that starts with FIRE and ends with YOLO.

THere is no RIGHT answer.
As in a(g) = 36 ft/s^2

Only opinions, shaded by life experiences and expectations.

Oh, and forget the GTS, go to the CA Porsche experience and try the GT4.
I don't understand your formula

The equation is the value of gravitational acceleration on Earth. However, he got the value wrong (it’s 32.2 ft/s2) and it is a poor analogy. The value of g depends on your location relative to large masses, and is not actually a constant. If he was attempting to contrast the continuum of the YOLO/FIRE with a constant answer, then a real constant like the Boltzmann constant would have served the purpose better.
000
Posts: 2725
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by 000 »

Keenobserver wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm Enjoy your life. Most folks are gona die penny pinching and their heirs will enjoy the money they never had the guts to spend. With $ 3 million, you are a multi millionare. Some guys here could have $ 50 million and continue to penny pinch and leave it all for their ungreatful heirs to plunder
That is a keen observation.
IfIOnlyKnew
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:05 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by IfIOnlyKnew »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am I just wanted to come back and respond update this thread. I will also update OP. Since starting this discussion we have paid off the mortgage and have over $3 million plus enough money to purchase a nice car. This occurred much faster than expected thanks to rebalancing in March, our robust economy, as well as being lucky to stay employed and healthy.

Since starting this thread a few months back, I have rented and/or test driven many cars and here is what I came up with.

Although driving an exotic sports car is amazing, I realize also it is a stressful ownership experience. Parking the car and making sure no one dings it made the whole experience less fun, and I was just renting the car. I tried treating the car as if I owned it which lead to that experience.

I love to drive and an exotic car although fun to drive is not something I am willing to take to the track and really get the most out of it.

With the above being said I realize that what I really want is a track car I can enjoy driving fast without the fear of destroying it, while having something fun to drive around town that I wont have to worry leaving in a parking lot. My new plan is to get either a Miata or maybe a Cayman and get back to HPDE (high performance driving education.) After getting better and more comfortable with manual I may consider getting a trailer and purchasing or building a track only car. I am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package. The other option is a Cayman GTS which later on I could install roll bars and a 4 point restraint to make it my track only car if it depreciates. I may not do that if the car's value goes up over time.

I thank everyone here for their input.
Might fit your needs. Just sayin.... :happy :happy
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/for-sale-two-c ... w-gti-tcrs
helloeveryone
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by helloeveryone »

ElBarto wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am I just wanted to come back and respond update this thread. I will also update OP. Since starting this discussion we have paid off the mortgage and have over $3 million plus enough money to purchase a nice car. This occurred much faster than expected thanks to rebalancing in March, our robust economy, as well as being lucky to stay employed and healthy.

Since starting this thread a few months back, I have rented and/or test driven many cars and here is what I came up with.

Although driving an exotic sports car is amazing, I realize also it is a stressful ownership experience. Parking the car and making sure no one dings it made the whole experience less fun, and I was just renting the car. I tried treating the car as if I owned it which lead to that experience.

I love to drive and an exotic car although fun to drive is not something I am willing to take to the track and really get the most out of it.

With the above being said I realize that what I really want is a track car I can enjoy driving fast without the fear of destroying it, while having something fun to drive around town that I wont have to worry leaving in a parking lot. My new plan is to get either a Miata or maybe a Cayman and get back to HPDE (high performance driving education.) After getting better and more comfortable with manual I may consider getting a trailer and purchasing or building a track only car. I am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package. The other option is a Cayman GTS which later on I could install roll bars and a 4 point restraint to make it my track only car if it depreciates. I may not do that if the car's value goes up over time.

I thank everyone here for their input.
Oh I have an idea - A Miata AND a Golf R model!
austin757
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:48 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by austin757 »

Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
User avatar
rob
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by rob »

Come on man.. a tesla... a tesla... I'm voting for your expulsion from the petrol-head club at our next meeting :D Miata is NOT always the answer but hard to beat for a true track day car. Do yourself a favor and get the Porsche for the daily....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 12648
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

austin757 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
The old timey definition of a sports car is a 2 seater roadster with a wheelbase of less than 90 inches. The ND Miata is 90.9", so......

(NA and NB are under 90)

Just nit picking....
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
eucalyptus
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by eucalyptus »

Good luck.
hunoraut
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by hunoraut »

austin757 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
Light weight, 3 pedals, naturally aspirated, rear driven...it's more sports car than most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread, and is also the best selling sports car in the world.
bugleheadd
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:25 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by bugleheadd »

I'd rather get something practical with utility and low key than a flashy toy.

Something like a Toyota land cruiser. Can drive over the toughest terrain, plenty of interior space, luxury on the down low, low maintenance and reliable.
User avatar
4nursebee
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am
Location: US

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by 4nursebee »

Track mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gS7r9RPtvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMoprNXZZg
https://drivetribe.com/p/tesla-model-3- ... xZlZODp5YA

Me thinks anyone considering a new car needs to get behind the wheel of a tesla. A family member bought a Y long range, not performance, and says it is the fastest car he has ever been in other than my 3.
Pale Blue Dot
User avatar
calvin+hobbes
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by calvin+hobbes »

Thanks for the update, OP. I remember this thread and thinking you didn’t really sound like a super car type of guy. I bought a 993 Porsche 911 a couple months back, the last of the air cooled Porsche engines and has a very analog driving feel. Puts a smile on my face and I hope to keep it forever.
hunoraut wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 am
austin757 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
Light weight, 3 pedals, naturally aspirated, rear driven...it's more sports car than most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread, and is also the best selling sports car in the world.
Amen. Not to mention one of the best power to weight ratios around. True enthusiasts would never hate on a Miata or a Miata driver out there living their best lives.
JackoC
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by JackoC »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 am Thanks for the update, OP. I remember this thread and thinking you didn’t really sound like a super car type of guy. I bought a 993 Porsche 911 a couple months back, the last of the air cooled Porsche engines and has a very analog driving feel. Puts a smile on my face and I hope to keep it forever.
hunoraut wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 am
austin757 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
Light weight, 3 pedals, naturally aspirated, rear driven...it's more sports car than most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread, and is also the best selling sports car in the world.
Amen. Not to mention one of the best power to weight ratios around. True enthusiasts would never hate on a Miata or a Miata driver out there living their best lives.
I agree, a Miata is absolutely a sports car by traditional definition; it's various other high performance cars mentioned where one might nitpick that designation. Nor is it a sluggish car, though 'one of the best power to weight ratio's' I don't know about unless comparing to all cars. I read basic Miata spec as 181hp pulling 2341#, ~13:1. My 2018 M2 is 365hp pulling 3450#'s, 9.5:1 and consensus of customers was apparently that it was 'underpowered' by today's standards so BMW upped hp to 400+ on the 2019 M2 Competition. Various cars mentioned on thread at top of price range more like 6:1. That's excluding engine mods in all cases (the stock 2018 M2 has plenty of power for public road driving as I do it, though I haven't ruled out any engine mods ever). But Miata quick enough? Sure, depending the driver and situation.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

JackoC wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 am
calvin+hobbes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 am Thanks for the update, OP. I remember this thread and thinking you didn’t really sound like a super car type of guy. I bought a 993 Porsche 911 a couple months back, the last of the air cooled Porsche engines and has a very analog driving feel. Puts a smile on my face and I hope to keep it forever.
hunoraut wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 am
austin757 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
Light weight, 3 pedals, naturally aspirated, rear driven...it's more sports car than most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread, and is also the best selling sports car in the world.
Amen. Not to mention one of the best power to weight ratios around. True enthusiasts would never hate on a Miata or a Miata driver out there living their best lives.
I agree, a Miata is absolutely a sports car by traditional definition; it's various other high performance cars mentioned where one might nitpick that designation. Nor is it a sluggish car, though 'one of the best power to weight ratio's' I don't know about unless comparing to all cars. I read basic Miata spec as 181hp pulling 2341#, ~13:1. My 2018 M2 is 365hp pulling 3450#'s, 9.5:1 and consensus of customers was apparently that it was 'underpowered' by today's standards so BMW upped hp to 400+ on the 2019 M2 Competition. Various cars mentioned on thread at top of price range more like 6:1. That's excluding engine mods in all cases (the stock 2018 M2 has plenty of power for public road driving as I do it, though I haven't ruled out any engine mods ever). But Miata quick enough? Sure, depending the driver and situation.
There is more to a car than just power to weight. I have seen plenty of times a Miata taking on a C6 corvette and performing better or a road course.
I currently drive a German luxury sports coupe and because of its weight it just does not do all that well on the track. The power is there, the handling is there, but the brakes just can't keep up with the weight. Although my car weight closer to 4000 pounds as opposed to your 3450. Don't get me wrong, an M2 is a fine vehicle. I met one driver on the track who loves his.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 am Thanks for the update, OP. I remember this thread and thinking you didn’t really sound like a super car type of guy. I bought a 993 Porsche 911 a couple months back, the last of the air cooled Porsche engines and has a very analog driving feel. Puts a smile on my face and I hope to keep it forever.
hunoraut wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 am
austin757 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
Light weight, 3 pedals, naturally aspirated, rear driven...it's more sports car than most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread, and is also the best selling sports car in the world.
Amen. Not to mention one of the best power to weight ratios around. True enthusiasts would never hate on a Miata or a Miata driver out there living their best lives.
I agree, now, I am not a super car kind of guy. It took a few rentals to get me to realize it. I like to drive cars and I wont really get much of that opportunity in a super car. Enjoy your 911.
Last edited by ElBarto on Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambb
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by sambb »

boxster s with top down at 50mph is more fun than tesla at 100mph
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

bugleheadd wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:14 am I'd rather get something practical with utility and low key than a flashy toy.

Something like a Toyota land cruiser. Can drive over the toughest terrain, plenty of interior space, luxury on the down low, low maintenance and reliable.
The 4 runner will be our next travel SUV once our current SUV goes. No plans on "toughest terrain" But some off roading will be in our future.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

rob wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm Come on man.. a tesla... a tesla... I'm voting for your expulsion from the petrol-head club at our next meeting :D Miata is NOT always the answer but hard to beat for a true track day car. Do yourself a favor and get the Porsche for the daily....
lol. I like the Miata and how it drives. My only problem with it is how little room there is in the footwell. My feet are not huge, but my heals rub a little which bother me some. Either way, the goal is to get better at driving so I think something lower power and light is the way to go. I can always upgrade to more HP as I improve. One thing that is nice about the Miata is how cheap and easy it is to replace consumables. For the daily driver I want something that is comfortable, but fun to drive on the streets. Maybe as JackofC keeps saying an M2 is a decent option. One thing I really like about the Tesla is the minimal maintenance it requires and how I don't have to waste time at the pump. I have always liked the idea of an electric car for around town.
User avatar
Topic Author
ElBarto
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

Keenobserver wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm Enjoy your life. Most folks are gona die penny pinching and their heirs will enjoy the money they never had the guts to spend. With $ 3 million, you are a multi millionare. Some guys here could have $ 50 million and continue to penny pinch and leave it all for their ungreatful heirs to plunder
I fully agree. One needs balance between saving and spending. What is the point of being successful, and I do believe we are successful, if you don't enjoy the spoils of that success. We pretty much met our financial goals so why not spend some of the money we are making on things that make us happy.
hdcd
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by hdcd »

When I was young, I was a valet at a popular high end restaurant in Southern California. Got to drive all the cars back then. The most memorable by far was the Ferrari Testarossa. It looks beautiful, sitting inside was amazing, then you turn the key on that flat-12, just beautiful. No other car I've just sat in gave me chills like the Testarossa. My point being, if I was spending $150k on a car these days, it better give me the same sort of experience.
investingdad
Posts: 1786
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by investingdad »

I have a Mazdaspeed Miata, only factory turbo version to date.

You know what's not fun? Applying throttle in a tight turn on a damp road and feeling the backend break free and suddenly you're pointing the wrong way.
Trader Joe
Posts: 1986
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by Trader Joe »

Jeep Wrangler.

So much fun.
User avatar
rob
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by rob »

ElBarto wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:49 pm
rob wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm Come on man.. a tesla... a tesla... I'm voting for your expulsion from the petrol-head club at our next meeting :D Miata is NOT always the answer but hard to beat for a true track day car. Do yourself a favor and get the Porsche for the daily....
lol. I like the Miata and how it drives. My only problem with it is how little room there is in the footwell. My feet are not huge, but my heals rub a little which bother me some. Either way, the goal is to get better at driving so I think something lower power and light is the way to go. I can always upgrade to more HP as I improve. One thing that is nice about the Miata is how cheap and easy it is to replace consumables. For the daily driver I want something that is comfortable, but fun to drive on the streets. Maybe as JackofC keeps saying an M2 is a decent option. One thing I really like about the Tesla is the minimal maintenance it requires and how I don't have to waste time at the pump. I have always liked the idea of an electric car for around town.
Yeah at 6'4 and size 14 shoes I hear ya... It's hard for me to drive a manual miata just due to the physical aspects of stamping on all the pedals at once :-)... better with driving shoes or bear feet. It's a perfect track car - it's also a great driver learning tool because of exactly what it isn't. Too many guys wandering around track days with over powered cars that have a million driver aids (yeah yeah but the track button does not really turn them all off) and the car out drives the drivers confidence & skill so when it goes over the edge they proceed directly to the nearest accident. I get the concept of electric but I just hate driving a computer.. er.. tesla - it's too digital for me (if that makes sense). There is no soul in a tesla even though it's certainly faster and feels like grunt due to the instant torque of electric and it's more practical under the recharge distance.... and yet I'd still take the Porsche for daily every time.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
BruDude
Posts: 3427
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by BruDude »

10 pages later and GT3 is still the answer, but a 981 GTS is also a great choice. The GT3 is an incredible track car too and the sound with an aftermarket exhaust is unbelievable. Both cars can be driven with little to no depreciation, though tracking them will definitely hurt the value a bit.
bagle
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:59 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by bagle »

MortgageOnBlack wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 pm Tesla Model 3 and I'd pocket the rest
That's what I did. I'm not interested in tracking it. I've driven a Porsche 911 in typical traffic, and I think it's sheer frustration.
h82goslw
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:44 am

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by h82goslw »

ElBarto wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:37 pm
JackoC wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 am
calvin+hobbes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 am Thanks for the update, OP. I remember this thread and thinking you didn’t really sound like a super car type of guy. I bought a 993 Porsche 911 a couple months back, the last of the air cooled Porsche engines and has a very analog driving feel. Puts a smile on my face and I hope to keep it forever.
hunoraut wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 am
austin757 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm Wait, a Miata is a sports car?
Light weight, 3 pedals, naturally aspirated, rear driven...it's more sports car than most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread, and is also the best selling sports car in the world.
Amen. Not to mention one of the best power to weight ratios around. True enthusiasts would never hate on a Miata or a Miata driver out there living their best lives.
I agree, a Miata is absolutely a sports car by traditional definition; it's various other high performance cars mentioned where one might nitpick that designation. Nor is it a sluggish car, though 'one of the best power to weight ratio's' I don't know about unless comparing to all cars. I read basic Miata spec as 181hp pulling 2341#, ~13:1. My 2018 M2 is 365hp pulling 3450#'s, 9.5:1 and consensus of customers was apparently that it was 'underpowered' by today's standards so BMW upped hp to 400+ on the 2019 M2 Competition. Various cars mentioned on thread at top of price range more like 6:1. That's excluding engine mods in all cases (the stock 2018 M2 has plenty of power for public road driving as I do it, though I haven't ruled out any engine mods ever). But Miata quick enough? Sure, depending the driver and situation.
There is more to a car than just power to weight. I have seen plenty of times a Miata taking on a C6 corvette and performing better or a road course.
El Barto this is 100% true and due completely to driver skill. I know this as fact....I’ve been on track at Watkins Glen driving a Z06 and had to wave past a track spec Miata because he was on my rear bumper through all the turns. Of course I would crush him on the straights but there’s no skill involved there. It’s a little embarrassing.
Post Reply