Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

Re: Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?

Post by squirm »

To me, Amazon sells web services that just happens to sell products too.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:10 pm They seem unable to pack more than one order into a single shipment. You don't realize how relatively good Amazon has gotten about overpackaging until you try Walmart, Walmart has send me 2-foot boxes containing 7.5 cubic feet of packing material and one tiny thing in the middle--in danger of being discarded along with the packing.
We are having the opposite experience with Amazon. I have a distribution center so close to my house that I sometimes see Amazon planes fly over. Maybe that's pertinent, but I marvel at the magnificent inefficiency of Amazon packaging. Just this afternoon, I was sitting in my driveway pounding ice water after an intense bike ride. Up comes a smile van. Yep, 3 items, 3 boxes, no packing material. Any one of the boxes could have held all three items. At least the driver was nice.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I see zero appeal to this. Walmart is dreadful in every way. I'm not a huge fan of Amazon but the streaming included in Prime is alone worth the cost.
nyclon

Post by nyclon »

I’m surprised most of these responses revolve around packages and shipping.

We’ve been using the Walmart service since June. I no longer have to drive to the store and spend time picking out the same items and checking out and driving back.

I use the app, reorder and add new things (primarily groceries), and it shows up at a time I choose. Walmart uses door dash to make it happen.

$98 annually to save me at minimum 1 hour per grocery run and gas - so at least 3x month or minimum 36 hours of my life? And my elderly parents who live in another state can use my subscription for the same service.

This Walmart service is a life changing (and perhaps saving due to Covid-19) home run.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

nyclon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:22 pm I’m surprised most of these responses revolve around packages and shipping.

We’ve been using the Walmart service since June. I no longer have to drive to the store and spend time picking out the same items and checking out and driving back.

I use the app, reorder and add new things (primarily groceries), and it shows up at a time I choose. Walmart uses door dash to make it happen.

$98 annually to save me at minimum 1 hour per grocery run and gas - so at least 3x month or minimum 36 hours of my life? And my elderly parents who live in another state can use my subscription for the same service.

This Walmart service is a life changing (and perhaps saving due to Covid-19) home run.
+1 Wal-Mart grocery delivery works for me also.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Pigeon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:09 pm I see zero appeal to this. Walmart is dreadful in every way. I'm not a huge fan of Amazon but the streaming included in Prime is alone worth the cost.
The appeal is you get Wal-Mart prices and delivery without going inside Wal-Mart. In cat food alone I'll save $40+ dollars a year. Each box is $3 cheaper
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:17 pm
What makes it a bug for me is that if the item is physically stocked in a store, they will not ship it to you--at least, not with the existing walmart.com; at least, not the last time I actually wanted a shipment from Walmart. For the online items, you can do a ship-to-store, but for the stocked-in-store items you cannot do a ship-to-home.
I think this is out of date. What you can ship to your house is independent of what is in stock locally.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:41 pm
galawdawg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 am So what am I missing here?

Walmart = pay $98 annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+
Amazon = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $25+
That was Clark Howard's conclusion on his show yesterday as well. The only edge Walmart has is same day or next day shipping.
Walmart = pay nothing and get free shipping on orders of $35+.

People seem confused what this new service appears to be. Which is probably bad on WM for not explaining better, but it’s not just “free delivery.” There is a same day component to it AND grocery delivery, which is a different beast than tossing a package on your doorstep.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

madbrain wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:41 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 pm I agree Walmart doesn't quite get it yet. They spent billions on Jet.com and I've seen little improvement. Walmart has the resources to get this right, but think they cheap out. They won't pay people $150-$300k a year to work on their website like Amazon. Frankly, Walmart has always been very cost conscious sometimes to their detriment. Their employees, are, well, not the greatest.
Yes, tech and customer service are just not in Wal-Mart's DNA. And you just can't build a great web site and delivery service when the problems are so basic with inventory and employees in the stores. Amazon started online, and has a big advantage there. They are now getting into retail with their purchase of Whole Foods, and some upcoming cashier-less stores. I don't think they are a big player when it comes to shopping in person, though.
They used to give you a credit of a month free Prime if you got packages late, especially repeatedly. Now they just say oh well, sorry. They won't even refund unused months.
It was indeed hard to get refund for a full month when there was no deliveries for either Whole Foods or Amazon Fresh back in March & April.
However, for late deliveries, I have had them give me credit without any difficulties. I guess it helps that it only happens to me once or twice a year. If I was requesting credits on every package, they probably wouldn't do it. I wonder what's going in in your area. Are the delayed packages coming from carriers like USPS or UPS, or is it Amazon drivers being late ?
Everyone thought they were taking over the world, underpaying people, putting everyone else out of business, abusing employees, etc. I order from Amazon a lot, but only because lack of better alternatives.
Amazon definitely doesn't treat or pay their warehouse people right. I think it's different for their engineers, though I have never personally worked there yet.
The late packages are either USPS or Amazon's own delivery. I live in huge metro area and Amazon has a big presence. I would say 12 out of 50 packages were late in the last year. The funny thing is, for a next day item I can go in and look the next day and see if it is out for delivery or not. It often is not yet they keep showing it as going to be delivered today and then usually update it in the evening well after I know I am not getting it that day.

One problem with this (other than not getting an item you might need at a certain time and them not meeting their stated delivery) is that where I live package theft is rampant. I try to time it so I am around on the designated delivery dates to get packages before the porch pirates. We have cameras and that doesn't seem like much of a determent.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:20 am The late packages are either USPS or Amazon's own delivery. I live in huge metro area and Amazon has a big presence. I would say 12 out of 50 packages were late in the last year. The funny thing is, for a next day item I can go in and look the next day and see if it is out for delivery or not. It often is not yet they keep showing it as going to be delivered today and then usually update it in the evening well after I know I am not getting it that day.

One problem with this (other than not getting an item you might need at a certain time and them not meeting their stated delivery) is that where I live package theft is rampant. I try to time it so I am around on the designated delivery dates to get packages before the porch pirates. We have cameras and that doesn't seem like much of a determent.
Sorry to hear that. I have 80 orders placed in 2020 and I think just 2 have been late, and I got credit for both. One of them was just a $4 item and they gave me $3 credit.

I have never have a package stolen. I often have huge things delivered that get left on my doorstep that stay for hours on my doorstep while I'm asleep and don't hear the bell. Most recently a 12" subwoofer on Friday (wasn't an Amazon order though, UPS delivery). No issues. Maybe it helps that I live in a cul-de-sac on a very steep hill. The burglars probably don't want to come here. I don't have any cameras.
I guess those sort of things are really localized. I would be upset if I had the rate of late packages that you have, also.
squirm

Post by squirm »

so do you have to be home for grocery delivery? I'm thinking Wally World probably isn't going to do anything special for bagging cold items. Are they just going to use plastic bags and if you're not home everything goes warm and bad?
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I stopped using Amazon since they do nothing to stop counterfeit goods coming from China. Walmart has been getting my e-commerce business that I cannot fulfill locally, which isn’t all that much.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:58 am
willthrill81 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:41 pm
galawdawg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 am So what am I missing here?

Walmart = pay $98 annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+
Amazon = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $25+
That was Clark Howard's conclusion on his show yesterday as well. The only edge Walmart has is same day or next day shipping.
Walmart = pay nothing and get free shipping on orders of $35+.

People seem confused what this new service appears to be. Which is probably bad on WM for not explaining better, but it’s not just “free delivery.” There is a same day component to it AND grocery delivery, which is a different beast than tossing a package on your doorstep.
That's the point: the only benefit you get from paying $98 to participate in the program is faster shipping. Amazon also comes with Prime video and music, which could easily be argued to be worth the price for Prime membership by themselves.

Walmart is going to have to sweeten this program and, I agree with you here, promote it more effectively to get many on board with it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth »

madbrain wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:34 pm I don't think Target allows pickup of fresh grocery items, though.
Target has finally added fresh/perishable grocery items to their curbside pickup service but not sure whether it's been rolled out to all stores yet.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

startwithtruth wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:06 pm Target has finally added fresh/perishable grocery items to their curbside pickup service but not sure whether it's been rolled out to all stores yet.
I only did pickup in store before with Target, not curbside. I just checked Target.com and perishable items still cannot be ordered for pickup in store, only for delivery. I didn't know curbside pickup was available. It looks like it's only available through the Target app on a smartphone. For those like me who like to use a web browser on a computer with a more adequate display size, which allows multiple windows and comparison shopping, it's not possible to place an order. Sigh. Big fail by Target here IMO. Instacart, Wal-mart, Shipt, Amazon fresh and every other grocery delivery service I know all allow the use of a web browser. I have declining vision unfortunately and the smartphone option is a no-go for grocery shopping.
startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth »

madbrain wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:14 pm
startwithtruth wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:06 pm Target has finally added fresh/perishable grocery items to their curbside pickup service but not sure whether it's been rolled out to all stores yet.
I only did pickup in store before with Target, not curbside. I just checked Target.com and perishable items still cannot be ordered for pickup in store, only for delivery. I didn't know curbside pickup was available. It looks like it's only available through the Target app on a smartphone. For those like me who like to use a web browser on a computer with a more adequate display size, which allows multiple windows and comparison shopping, it's not possible to place an order. Sigh. Big fail by Target here IMO. Instacart, Wal-mart, Shipt, Amazon fresh and every other grocery delivery service I know all allow the use of a web browser. I have declining vision unfortunately and the smartphone option is a no-go for grocery shopping.
I agree, not supporting curbside on a browser order is a big fail; have to believe it's costing them grocery business.
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

I am surprised to see the responses here.

I think for us this will be a no brainer.

Free same day grocery delivery is what it the service really is. We have done some Walmart pickup which is ok. Then reverted back to Smiths grocery store in person shopping which I hate. Getting groceries in person takes me a long time even when the store is a few minute drive away.

I rather pay someone to pick the groceries for me and even better, deliver them to my doorstep. I think I will save 1.5 hours every week using this service which comes to less that $2 per week per 1.5hours. Yes, please.

The free same day other item delivery is just icing on the cake. There are always amazon and eBay if we need additional items that are not groceries that have better selections normally.

We will probably sign up in a few weeks.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

squirm wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:44 pm so do you have to be home for grocery delivery? I'm thinking Wally World probably isn't going to do anything special for bagging cold items. Are they just going to use plastic bags and if you're not home everything goes warm and bad?
You pick the hour and I would definitely be home if I had cold items. They just leave it at door so being home isn't absolutely necessary. It comes just as if you shopped at Wal-Mart (in a bag)
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Johm221122 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 am You pick the hour and I would definitely be home if I had cold items. They just leave it at door so being home isn't absolutely necessary. It comes just as if you shopped at Wal-Mart (in a bag)
Yes. Meaning your ice cream is already half melted by the time you are out of the 30 minute check out line, since the stores are so understaffed. Then there is the 25 min drive home in 112F weather like earlier today. The Doordash drivers Walmart uses here don't have anything to keep the groceries cold in their vehicles. So the ice cream arrives completely liquid. Exactly the same as if you actually shopped at Wal-mart.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

startwithtruth wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:31 pm I agree, not supporting curbside on a browser order is a big fail; have to believe it's costing them grocery business.
I'm certain it is. That said, I just purchased a new Note 10 Ultra smartphone, and it has a feature called "Samsung Dex" which lets you use your phone in a window on your PC. Pretty useful for me, I have to say, not just for Target shopping, as unfortunately many services nowadays are only available through smartphone apps, or the web sites if supported are much more limited in functionality, which is extremely annoying. My last phone upgrade was almost 3 years ago - it was a Note 8, and Samsung Dex for PC doesn't support that older device. I doubt many will purchase $1300 flagship phones just for this, but I thought I would mention it as it is a really cool feature.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

madbrain wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:38 am
Johm221122 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 am You pick the hour and I would definitely be home if I had cold items. They just leave it at door so being home isn't absolutely necessary. It comes just as if you shopped at Wal-Mart (in a bag)
Yes. Meaning your ice cream is already half melted by the time you are out of the 30 minute check out line, since the stores are so understaffed. Then there is the 25 min drive home in 112F weather like earlier today. The Doordash drivers Walmart uses here don't have anything to keep the groceries cold in their vehicles. So the ice cream arrives completely liquid. Exactly the same as if you actually shopped at Wal-mart.
Basically yes,but I wouldn't use this service for ice cream in hot weather.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Johm221122 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 am
squirm wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:44 pm so do you have to be home for grocery delivery? I'm thinking Wally World probably isn't going to do anything special for bagging cold items. Are they just going to use plastic bags and if you're not home everything goes warm and bad?
You pick the hour and I would definitely be home if I had cold items. They just leave it at door so being home isn't absolutely necessary. It comes just as if you shopped at Wal-Mart (in a bag)
Ok thanks.
I'm impulsive so online groceries wouldn't work for me. Plus we're out on the middle of nowhere so that would probably be another issue.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Walmart.com order -- parcel ship to home. (always delivered via Fedex ground)
Do NOT have walmart+.

Postmates delivered everything that was in-stock from my local walmart the next day. There is no warning from walmart what is being delivered locally nor anyway to tip the delivery person besides cash. I feel guilty I didn't tip but I chose shipping, not local delivery.

Am I in some kind of test market? This nearly defeats the entire purpose of paying $98/year.

Edit: Did receive an email about local delivery:
Great news! Some of your items were available at one of our local stores, so we’re able to get them to you quicker than expected. They'll arrive by end of day XXXX.

As these items are coming from our store, you can expect to receive them either in store bags or in their original packaging. We'll send an email when your items have been delivered to your door, so you can bring them inside for safe keeping.