Date Due: Upon Receipt

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jaybee9

Date Due: Upon Receipt

Post by jaybee9 »

I was looking at a medical bill from a hospital I just received and it said payment was due "Upon Receipt". We haven't moved for some time and are generally using the same medical providers. I know that several years ago these same bills would show outstanding balances in successive windows: 0-30, 30-60, 60-90 days. Labs from the same hospital would be due in 14 days (and they sent you a nasty letter if you missed it). Now they are all due "upon receipt". A recent bill from a doctor's office, that had a specific due date.

I can't really think of any other bills I receive that demand immediate payment; it's always a couple weeks up to a month. Is this a new thing specific to medical bills only, this hospital only? Just curious why the shift?
obafgkm

Re: Date Due: Upon Receipt

Post by obafgkm »

Not just your hospital.

If it is a valid bill, I just pay it when I receive such a bill. With interest rates being so low these days, a few days "float" isn't going to do much for me anyway.
Topic Author
jaybee9

Post by jaybee9 »

obafgkm wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am Not just your hospital.

If it is a valid bill, I just pay it when I receive such a bill. With interest rates being so low these days, a few days "float" isn't going to do much for me anyway.
Yes, it's a legit bill. It's not the first either, it just struck me as it's a recent shift within the past year or so. Also, given that they are medical bills, these can be quite large.

What other bills do you receive demanding immediate payment?
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

jaybee9 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:29 am
obafgkm wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am Not just your hospital.

Yes, it's a legit bill. It's not the first either, it just struck me as it's a recent shift within the past year or so. Also, given that they are medical bills, these can be quite large.

What other bills do you receive demanding immediate payment?
Comcast bills in advance of the service so its due like on day 5 of the service month...
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

jaybee9 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:29 am What other bills do you receive demanding immediate payment?
My lawn care service sends bills like that.

I just pay all bills within a day or two of receipt.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

They can put whatever due date they want on the bill - it’s meaningless; for medical bills, I pay them once all insurance has cleared and on the next bill pay cycle which is every two weeks.

As long as you don’t get out into the 90 day past due range, you should be fine. I’ve had situations where the insurance is screwed up and I’ve called and had them put a hold on the account until insurance is resolved. They are happy to just get paid.
Topic Author
jaybee9

Post by jaybee9 »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 am They can put whatever due date they want on the bill - it’s meaningless; for medical bills, I pay them once all insurance has cleared and on the next bill pay cycle which is every two weeks.

As long as you don’t get out into the 90 day past due range, you should be fine. I’ve had situations where the insurance is screwed up and I’ve called and had them put a hold on the account until insurance is resolved. They are happy to just get paid.
Since they used to be okay with up to 90 days, I wouldn't surprise me that they could be okay with something like that today as well. In my case, I wanted to delay paying it a little until my next credit card cycle started because it was a larger bill. Also, I didn't know you could put a hold on a medical account. Thanks.
kriskd

Post by kriskd »

This frustrated me as well. We got a $3,000+ medical bill where insurance was still pending and it was due on receipt. Obviously, we weren't going to pay until the insurance hit. When the insurance was applied the new total was $522 which I was happy to pay immediately. I was confused as to why they even bothered to send the $3,000 bill in the first place.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I cannot imagine the difficulty that providers face collecting medical debt. My guess is they use pushy language to inspire you to pay.

I'll wait until my new credit card shows up (so I can earn a bonus) and/or until insurance has paid.

You have a minimum of 180 days before medical debt is reportable on your credit report. It is possible they will send it to collections, but it's still not reportable. But I've let bills age quite a while without that happening.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I almost ask for a payment plan when the bill is over $500. Most every hospital does it and there is no interest rate. I figure, why not?
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

On the flipside, we have had medical bills go straight to a collections agency without ever getting the bill. We even have the US Post Office INFORMED DELIVERY so we know it was never sent. Recently had a bill for a medical service we paid online on the medical service site and they sent a statement saying past due, called them and gave them a copy of the receipt they sent us - they said it would be resolved by the end of the year - this was in September.

This is called "parking" but can't figure out how this would benefit any legitimate company.

What other industry could operate like this and get away with it?