Google wi-fi mesh questioni

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mancich

Google wi-fi mesh questioni

Post by mancich »

Hello all,

I have Verizon FIOS gigabit service (just internet, no TV service) with Google wi-fi mesh (4 total pucks).

I currently have the Verizon FIOS Quantum modem in bridge mode (its wireless is turned off) and the main Google wi-fi puck is plugged into the back of it in one of the yellow Ethernet ports with a Cat-6 cable. Here is my question: if I log into the Verizon admin site and do a DHCP release , then immediately disconnect the Verizon modem, can I then just plug the Ethernet line that comes into the house via the FIOS ONT directly into the WAN port of the Google wi-fi puck? i.e. no longer have the Verizon modem hooked up at all? And will this increase wi-fi speed in the home?

Of course if I do that, I'll need a 5 or 8 port switch, as the Google wi-fi puck in the office only has a WAN and a LAN connection, and my home office currently has 3 devices plus the Cat-6 cable for the Google puck plugged into the back of the Verizon modem.

I am trying to get greater speeds from our Google wi-fi mesh system; when I run several Speedtests, I never even see 300mb, even in the home office right next to the main Google puck in the early morning when nobody else in the house is using the Internet. On my hard-wired desktop, I do get pretty close to the 1gig speed.

I am not super-techie so hopefully this makes sense. Thank you.
Point

Re: Google wi-fi mesh questioni

Post by Point »

I noticed that Costco has a number of 6 mesh routers listed and the pricing is attractive.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

This might help.

https://www.techlicious.com/tip/how-to- ... izon-fios/

Your speed will not change though. Since you get 1gig wired, the speed limitation is the wifi.

Removing the Verizon router does avoid the double NAT issues.
https://support.ubisoft.com/en-gb/Faqs/ ... oLoginData
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Most likely Yes, you can do that. I don't have Verizon FIOS but I have another fiber internet service with an ethernet cable that come into the house. I just ditch the modem that comes with it, plug 1 of the Google Wifi as the primary modem, and then I put a Netgear 16-port switch after it (the house is wired with CAT 6). The other Google Wifi uses the wired backhaul. Our wifi devices regularly gets ~300 Mbs up and down.

I don't think you even need to do DHCP release. I would just try it, plug your Google Wifi directly to the ethernet cable that come into the house, plug your laptop to Google Wifi. If you get internet service, then it works.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

armeliusc wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:28 am Most likely Yes, you can do that. I don't have Verizon FIOS but I have another fiber internet service with an ethernet cable that come into the house. I just ditch the modem that comes with it, plug 1 of the Google Wifi as the primary modem, and then I put a Netgear 16-port switch after it (the house is wired with CAT 6). The other Google Wifi uses the wired backhaul. Our wifi devices regularly gets ~300 Mbs up and down.

I don't think you even need to do DHCP release. I would just try it, plug your Google Wifi directly to the ethernet cable that come into the house, plug your laptop to Google Wifi. If you get internet service, then it works.
OP, please do the DHCP release, otherwise you’ll have to call support to renew.

I get a max of 330 Mbps on my iPhone. Wired speeds are higher, but honestly, OP, what can’t you do at 300 Mbps?
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I can't specifically answer your question in regard to Verizon but I'm using a local fiber optic internet provider that services our area and suspect it works the same. My fiber internet provider brings their fiber to my house. They have a small box mounted on the outside of the house that to my understanding incorporates their version of a modem for the incoming signal. From my user perspective no modem is required.

From their box on the outside of my house my Cat5 (or Cat6 or whatever) cable runs to a network distribution panel where there is a simple network switch that splits the signal to multiple jack(s) in the house. I can plug my computers/entertainment equipment directly into any of those "live" jacks. If I need more than one (wired) device to be fed by a jack I simply plug another switch into that jack to further split the signal (the switches are cheap....maybe $20 on Amazon).

My Google Wifi modem also plugs into one of these jacks and additional pucks distribute the wireless signal throughout the house. Where I want a 'wired' rather than a wireless device and don't have a "live" jack I can plug into the second cat5 port on any of the Google Wifi pucks. The signal from those ports can also be split using a simple network switch. If I didn't have multiple live jacks in the house I could distribute the signal just using additional pucks (and switches as desired).

As I understand it, the advantage of using live jacks over the wifi pucks to distribute the wired signal is that the direct wiring provides better speed, but for my purposes either works fine.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Thanks all for the advice so far. I will clarify that although 300 is the best I see wirelessly, in other points of the house outside the home office, I sometimes get only 50 or 60mbps. We don’t have a crazy home layout or concrete for walls. This is still good enough to stream, etc, but I’d like a bit better speed if possible since I’m paying for it. I think I will try the direct Ethernet line into the Google wi fi in my home office after doing the DHCP release. Will have to do this early in the morning so I don’t take down the Internet while the DW and kids are doing their things online :shock: