Most comfortable shoe: please recommend

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ependytis

Re: Most comfortable shoe: please recommend

Post by Ependytis »

I will second the English shoe Clark’s. I wear the slip on dress shoe. It’s lightweight, looks great, and is not that expensive.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

wfrobinette wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:57 pm
HoosierMike wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 am KURU.

If you suffer any kind of plantar fascilitis issues check out KURU shoes online.

I own about 10 pair. Well worth the price (approx $150@)
Had no idea about this company. I'll be trying a pair.
I’m guessing the company is unaware their shoe is named after a prion-caused degenerative brain disease (similar to mad cow disease), famous because it only occurs in brain eating cannibals from Papua New Guinea.
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

coalcracker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:23 am
wfrobinette wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:57 pm
HoosierMike wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 am KURU.

If you suffer any kind of plantar fascilitis issues check out KURU shoes online.

I own about 10 pair. Well worth the price (approx $150@)
Had no idea about this company. I'll be trying a pair.
I’m guessing the company is unaware their shoe is named after a prion-caused degenerative brain disease (similar to mad cow disease), famous because it only occurs in brain eating cannibals from Papua New Guinea.
Lol, made me raise an eyebrow when I saw it.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for all your valuable feedback and guidance !!
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

stan1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 am What's comfortable to one person won't be comfortable to another.

My spouse likes Hoka One cushioned shoes.
My podiatrist recommended Hoka One athletic shoes and thought they might help with my on and off again issues with plantar fasciitis. They did but I do find that the soles on the two pair of Hokas that I have tried breakdown very rapidly. I had thought that might be because I am a clydesdale but my daughter experienced the same issue.

I will move on and try something else the next time I buy athletic shoes.
DurangoWino

Post by DurangoWino »

I just bought a pair of Hokas from local outdoor shop. They were so comfortable and felt like walking on marshmallows. My wife had a pair that she loved. Plan on using them next summer to hike the 485 mile Colorado Trail. Pretty impressive shoe, hope they perform as well as some Solomons that I am currently using.

Also I have custom orthodontics that I use that helps with stability of my foot when hiking.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I prefer Nike sneakers for the fit and feel although with so many models its hard to find the right one. When I do I buy a few spare pairs for the back of the closet. In shoes other than sneakers I like Clarkes and Skeechers along with Trask and SWIMS on the higher side. I use Zappos (VIP) about 100% of the time now for the free next shipping to me and the free return if needed. Probably about 1/3 or so fits right and what doesn't goes back.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

stan1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 am What's comfortable to one person won't be comfortable to another.

My spouse likes Hoka One cushioned shoes.
Another vote for Hoka.

Some of their shoes are quite flexible, some are firm. I go for firm, with a wide toe box, and insert green Superfeet for more firmness and arch support.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

For walking, I like Merrill Moab.

For working at home, I like my bedroom slippers. At my last job, a nonzero number of people wore bedroom slippers at the office. Yes, it was weird. But comfortable.

Everyone’s feet are different. Going to a shoe store in person might be helpful.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:47 pm For walking, I like Merrill Moab.

For working at home, I like my bedroom slippers. At my last job, a nonzero number of people wore bedroom slippers at the office. Yes, it was weird. But comfortable.

Everyone’s feet are different. Going to a shoe store in person might be helpful.
I need a wide toe box. The Merrill Moab wide has worked for me. Although apparently the new ones do not fit like the old ones.

I like Birkenstock sandals. I prefer the ones with a heal strap.

In the end you have to try out many shoes, or slippers, or saddles, to find the ones that work for you. I like ll bean slippers, but would not wear them to work ;)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
kailash

Post by kailash »

For the past six months, I've found that the New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon V3 is the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn - even more comfortable than my 47-year-old Birkenstocks, although they're unlikely to last as long.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

Birkenstocks all day everyday.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
renter

Re: Mephisto

Post by renter »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm The most comfortable shoe brand I have ever experienced in my 70+ years is: Mephisto.
Just be prepared to pay $300 USD. Cheaper in Europe. I save $80 by buying my last pair while on vacation in Wien.
I like that they can be rebuilt. My 30-year-old pair was rebuilt a few years ago for $160 USD. Like new!
Made in France or Portugal.
I agree. I had 2 pairs of 15 year old Mephistos rebuilt last year, $160 each pair. Both pairs heavily worn and having been resoled numerous times. They came back great. Very well built and very comfortable.
Last edited by renter on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

I like adidas ultra boost 20. Love the breathability and are the most comfortable shoe I ever wore other than being barefoot.
aua868s

Post by aua868s »

get_g0ing wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:20 am Hi guys,

Wish you all are doing good.

I've been wearing the Nike Flex Experience Run 7 for a couple of years - and find it very comfortable to wear all day.
They are worn out now and I don't like the latest version of that shoe.

I'm reading good things about Brooks Ghost and Glycerin shoes. The New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon V3 looks nice too.
Any suggestions for a very comfortable daily shoe? A casual running shoe to wear with jeans.
Since you already seem to like the Nike shoes you had earlier, my recommendation would be Nike Epic React Flyknit 2. Very comfortable and comes with Foam soles. If you want to splurge a bit, Nike Air VaporMax Plus. Super super comfortable and comes with Air soles (soles filled with Air)..you cannot go wrong with both !
My Plan: * 50℅ US, 25℅ Int'l, 25℅ Fixed Income * Fixed Income: IRA CDs/Total Bond Mkt/Short Term Bond Mkt. * Everything over 4 months' expenses gets invested.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Hoka One One. The rocker sole they have built into the shoe makes a *huge* difference in ease of walking or running. I'm not sure why more shoes don't do this. Everyone I've ever turned on to Hoka's, never look back.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

As noted above, what is comfortable to one person is not to another. I have had three foot surgeries over the years and now peripheral neuropathy and arthritis in my feet. I use New Balance and take out their insert and use SOLE inserts which are better than any of the orthotics prescribed and made by a podiatrist.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Hoka One One.

Never did anything but go to payless and pick something for the last 30 years, and also Allen Edmonds for dressware. Then I went with my brother to an actual shoe store because he needed something and asked what they had on a whim, described my situation, and they told me to try Hokas. Now I'm a complete convert (although I am socks only at home during the lockdown).

For anyone playing along at home, I tallied the votes...

10 Hoka One One
8 New Balance
7 Brooks Ghost
6 Sketchers
4 Allbirds

everything else is 3 or less...

so there you go!
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

2tall4economy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:27 pm
For anyone playing along at home, I tallied the votes...

10 Hoka One One
8 New Balance
7 Brooks Ghost
6 Sketchers
4 Allbirds
Very neat!!
I had never heard of these Hoka shoes before, now I'll have to at least test them :)

So far I'm liking Brooks Ghost and Adrenaline the best (they also have the Glycerin, which is more costly but I didn't notice much difference).
gator15

Post by gator15 »

gubernaculum wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:33 pm I like adidas ultra boost 20. Love the breathability and are the most comfortable shoe I ever wore other than being barefoot.
I’m afraid to say how many ultraboost I own. Great shoe
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

McGilicutty wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pm Go barefoot. The human foot is not designed to be in a shoe and arch support just makes your arches weaker.
Not really practical or a great idea outside your own home or possibly the beach/pool. I assume any business requires shoes indoors due to health regulations. Outdoors, shoes provide at least some protection from stepping on broken glass or rusty nails.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Florscheim and Rockport seem to be the most comfortable for dress style shoes.

I haven't bought any HOKA, but I have heard over and over again good stories about those.
Thrift stores, outlets and market corrections have this in common: you're buying on sale.