Which podcasts helped during the crisis?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Which podcasts helped during the crisis?

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi guys,

Were there any investing/financial podcasts that helped stay the course during the 2020 market plunge?
One that you used to listen to, and then when the crisis hit, it reiterated the basic principles as a reminder. So every week or every episode, it helped avoid panic.
SmallSaver

Re: Which podcasts helped during the crisis?

Post by SmallSaver »

Can't say I know of any, but the incentives are sort of backwards. It's like this place. Once you get the message, there's not much more to do. Podcasts want to build engagement, which is hard when the message is just "stay the course" over and over.
YRT70

Post by YRT70 »

get_g0ing wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:20 am Hi guys,

Were there any investing/financial podcasts that helped stay the course during the 2020 market plunge?
One that you used to listen to, and then when the crisis hit, it reiterated the basic principles as a reminder. So every week or every episode, it helped avoid panic.
The Rational Reminder podcast with Ben Felix.

https://rationalreminder.ca/podcast-directory
kerfuffle

Post by kerfuffle »

I don't know if this helps, but the old favorites are Planet Money, The Indicator, and Freakonomics. Bogleheads also has a podcast! This helped me to know generally what was going on, so that I knew when NOT to look! Which was for a good couple of months.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

The “Bogleheads on Investing” is probably the best single podcast for personal investing. Rick Ferri, who hosts the podcast, has attracted a number of great guests, most of whom are right in line with core Boglehead principles.

There are 26 podcasts in the can, and a new one is available each month.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

SmallSaver wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 am Can't say I know of any, but the incentives are sort of backwards. It's like this place. Once you get the message, there's not much more to do. Podcasts want to build engagement, which is hard when the message is just "stay the course" over and over.
Agree with you there.
YRT70 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 am

The Rational Reminder podcast with Ben Felix.

https://rationalreminder.ca/podcast-directory
This one looks interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

The White Coat Investor
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

this was pretty good...(features David Swenson):
ARNOLD: OK. Now, this is our next investing life lesson from David. Call it tip number two. This is really important. You don't decide to buy a lot more stock after the market goes way up, and especially you don't sell stocks after they crash down. Now, you might be thinking, well, wait a minute. If stocks are in a freefall, and they might fall farther, you know, I've seen this in movies, right? It's like, sell. Sell everything. But let's think about this in a different way.

All right, David, let's pretend that we just got on a roller coaster. And it's going up the clickety-clickety (ph) thing, and we're at the top. And we start crashing down. And everybody's screaming, and it is terrifying. And we're going around a corner, and we're pulling Gs. And you look over at me, David, and I'm trying to get out from under the bar. And I'm telling you, David, I'm freaking out, man. I'm jumping off this thing. What would you say to me?

SWENSEN: Sit down and shut up (laughter).
https://www.npr.org/transcripts/676158680
this was also good. I found it in real time and sent it to a colleague after we had a discussion and I was telling him essentially these 4 points. He heard me, but did he really here me (cuz I'm no "expert")? Sent him the link and he took it to heart (and I told him this was essentially the same things I had told him moments before):
1. Don't sell stocks when the market tanks.
2. Rebalance your portfolio at least once a year
3. Don't pick your own stocks.
4. Invest in index funds, not actively managed funds. And don't pay too much in fees.
https://www.npr.org/2018/12/12/67615868 ... -investing
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

I was too busy buying more when markets crash to listen to podcasts

Podcasts are for normal or bull markets when there’s nothing for me to do
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

Post by 1789 »

These guys are good. They like index investing and Bogle. I listen them from time to time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRvu9koJis
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

These are useful suggestions. Thanks guys
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Stinky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 am The “Bogleheads on Investing” is probably the best single podcast for personal investing. Rick Ferri, who hosts the podcast, has attracted a number of great guests, most of whom are right in line with core Boglehead principles.

There are 26 podcasts in the can, and a new one is available each month.
I've listened to a few episodes and really like the show - have you listened to it during the pandemic, was it helpful reminder of the principles in real time?
YRT70

Post by YRT70 »

This is another good podcast that helped me stay the course: https://awealthofcommonsense.com/podcast/
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

get_g0ing wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:20 am Were there any investing/financial podcasts that helped stay the course during the 2020 market plunge?
I didn't really need a podcast to avoid panic, since I had already learned to "stay the course" many years ago.

But you might find "Jill on Money" or "The Ric Edelman Show" to be of some comfort if you find yourself on the brink of a panic.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

YRT70 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 am This is another good podcast that helped me stay the course: https://awealthofcommonsense.com/podcast/
I recently found about the podcast you mentioned (i.e. Animal Spirits) --- was it helpful in real time?
YRT70

Post by YRT70 »

get_g0ing wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:41 am
YRT70 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 am This is another good podcast that helped me stay the course: https://awealthofcommonsense.com/podcast/
I recently found about the podcast you mentioned (i.e. Animal Spirits) --- was it helpful in real time?
Yes, it helped as far as I remember.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:53 pm I was too busy buying more when markets crash to listen to podcasts
I'm just not wired to sell into a downturn as long as my circumstances enable me to buy or at least to hold. There are some folks who get in a bind and liquidate their 401ks because doing that is better than eating dog food.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

YRT70 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:44 am
get_g0ing wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:41 am
Yes, it helped as far as I remember.
Thanks!
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

This podcast from the BBC's Analysis program may help:

'The Rise and Fall of the Bond Market Traders'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000nllr
In the 1980s, Margaret Thatcher famously said that 'You can’t buck the markets' and Governments back then feared that, if they borrowed too much, they'd pay a terrible price in the markets in terms of higher borrowing costs. But now governments around the world are borrowing record amounts but paying record-low rates. In this programme Philip Coggan examines how the markets were tamed.

Philip talks to Don Kohn, former vice chairman of the Federal Reserve, economist and author Eric Lonergan, Andrew Balls, Chief Investment Officer at Pimco and economist and author Stephanie Kelton.
Coggan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Coggan
IanRichmond

Post by IanRichmond »

I've personally enjoyed listening to Fidelity's weekly Market Update webcasts. I've found Jurian Timmer to be excellent and find him to always have something intellligent, realistic, and often properly predictive: I believe the webcast is always updated at this link: https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/live-PI
mpklub

Post by mpklub »

I found the Money Guy podcast to be helpful. The show is hosted by two CFPs who have a boglehead style philosophy shop. Their podcasts during the depths of the downturn were focused on why staying the course was important and how market timing is difficult, etc. I'd also recommend the Retirement and IRA Show. They get a bit more technical, but I also found some of their content to be a good source to help stay the course. They are also a pair of financial planners with a bogleheads philosophy.
tipswatcher

Post by tipswatcher »

Of course, I am a huge fan of Bogleheads on Investing, hosted by Rick Ferri, but no surprises there.

I have also enjoyed listening to Roger Whitney's Retirement Answer Man ... https://www.rogerwhitney.com/blog. He offers common sense and never pushes any product. Refreshing.

But the biggest surprise of recent months is Jack Hough's Streetwise podcast ... https://www.barrons.com/topics/streetwise. Hough is a Barron's columnist with a dry sense of humor and again, a ton of common sense.
TIPS: Perfect investment for imperfect times?
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Dave Ramsey.
60% SCHK | 25% VIGI | 15% ILTB
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I avoided financial news during this time. I really only listened to the twit network podcasts during this time. I also watched TV shows and hiked a lot. TV was remarkably up beat during this time until the reboot of Battlestar came on the air.

I remember the flash crash during lunch. I ate a french dip and watched the people around me panicking. By the time I walked back to work, it was over. Someone walked up to me and asked me about the flash crash. I had no clue what they were talking about. They told me that they had lost a lot of money because they set up stop losses. I don't remember what my response was to them. I have never used stop losses since I was young and had plenty of time to recoup my money.

I'd focus on something else. If you're listening to podcasts, find some that aren't financial related. I love Radio Free Skaro.

Enjoy your life. Make sure you have stuff to look forward to.
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

I haven't changed my podcast habits due to Covid, so I continue to listen to my favorite 6 or 7.
However, two shows have tweaked their normal topics slightly to provide calm and reason during the media financial frenzy spikes of the last 8 months.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

mpklub wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:12 pm I found the Money Guy podcast to be helpful. The show is hosted by two CFPs who have a boglehead style philosophy shop. Their podcasts during the depths of the downturn were focused on why staying the course was important and how market timing is difficult, etc.
I've seen this one recommended and will be listening to some episodes. Thanks for mentioning.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

The Phil Ferguson Show.
He is very much a Bogleheader, except that his equities are divided up into six segments that he keeps balanced.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner