Buying a Recliner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bigfish

Buying a Recliner

Post by Bigfish »

DW and I are shopping for two reclining chairs for our TV room. We saw a leather one at Sam's Club that looked nice and was comfortable and cost around $400. Are there any favorites that you would recommend?
sport

Re: Buying a Recliner

Post by sport »

Beware of anything described as "bonded leather". This is not really leather the way one would think of it. It is real leather chopped up into tiny pieces, mixed with a binder, and then "bonded" to a cloth backing. The layer of leather can be very thin and will start to peel after a few years. Real leather is the skin off an animal. As you might expect, it is much more expensive than "bonded leather".
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

There are four basic qualities of leather: Full grain, top grain, split grain and bonded. Also, there are different ways of dying and finishing the leather.
Full grain is very expensive, but usually very best quality. I bought a full-grain high -qaulity sofa 20 years ago and it still looks like new. but now I would like to redecorate and can't because there's no way my frugal self will allow me to replace the sofa!
Top grain is durable and probably what you want for a more reasonable price.
Split grain much less durable and more processed.
Bonded....stay away, not durable at all.

Since these are for your tv room, they may be used a lot, so If the recliners are made with top grain leather and have good quality cushioning then $400 is a very good price.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Focus on the return policy, so if you don't like it you can return it. Make sure it's hassle free.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I like my La Z Boy, upholstered in heavy decorator corduroy, bought years ago, but there was a recent recliner thread in here that said their quality had gone down hill. (Right when I was planning to buy another one for upstairs, sigh.)
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I bought a Leathercraft leather recliner last year. Also bought two Bradington Young leather recliners in 2008. We like all 3. The BY recliners have held up very well. Both companies make these in USA and are considered among top companies for these products. Their recliners will perform well and last a long time, but they are not cheap.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

carolinaman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 am I bought a Leathercraft leather recliner last year. Also bought two Bradington Young leather recliners in 2008. We like all 3. The BY recliners have held up very well. Both companies make these in USA and are considered among top companies for these products. Their recliners will perform well and last a long time, but they are not cheap.
We have also had very good luck with Bradington Young recliners. The only downside to really high quality furniture is that everything eventually goes out of style and the value of old furniture is typically pennies on the dollar, even if it's still in good condition.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Ekornes

Last forever, don't go out of style.
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Try to buy a recliner that has a Leggett & Platt lift mechanism. https://lpfurniturecomponents.com/recli ... mechanisms. https://valenciatheaterseating.com/the- ... e-theater/
It will work right longer.
jcar

Post by jcar »

egrets wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:21 pm I like my La Z Boy, upholstered in heavy decorator corduroy, bought years ago, but there was a recent recliner thread in here that said their quality had gone down hill. (Right when I was planning to buy another one for upstairs, sigh.)
I would certainly avoid the Lazy Boy recliners upholstered in leather. The warranty on the upholstery is no different than a 99.00 recliner you might buy at a bargain basement type place. I have one now that the leather began to peel after 8 mo . They replaced the back after repeated calls for service. Now the same thing has happened again and they say they only do one replacement, regardless of time period. I've written the customer service group a few times and even the President with no response. The quality this company was once known for no longer exists.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I have a recliner from Room and Board, the particular style is no longer made but there are similar ones. It was around $2K. Fantastically comfortable and durable.
delamer

Post by delamer »

My husband has a Palliser leather recliner that is really comfortable. Much more expensive than $400 though.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

DW and I thought a lot about recliners and things in our TV room. It's a bit larger room than we've had in our previous house, actually very large. We ended up getting two full size leather couches in a contemporary style and a zillion throw pillow things and side tables. Room to sprawl for each of us!

An idea
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

phxjcc wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm Ekornes

+1. Ours are 25 years old, look and function as new. Not cheap though.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

OldOne wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:09 pm Try to buy a recliner that has a Leggett & Platt lift mechanism. https://lpfurniturecomponents.com/recli ... mechanisms. https://valenciatheaterseating.com/the- ... e-theater/
It will work right longer.
+1. I totally agree L&P is the best quality for lift mechanism.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I find chairs like mattresses. I can’t really tell how comfortable one will be until I’ve spent some time with it.

So I’d look for a easy return policy.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Just purchased (2 weeks ago) new leather powered recliner built by England Inc., New Tazewell, TN. This is our first powered recliner......wasn't really looking for powered but got a great deal on it.......so far really like it.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

If OP time travels back to 1980 he can buy one for $500. I have one (still in use).

$500 for leather is...very optimistic these days. I recommend not expecting much. OP might just find something that will work OK for a few years.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

We have a Bradington Young and really like it. Full grain leather and a Leggit and Platt mechanism, which is apparently the best in the industry. The only thing is the frame is a hardwood laminate as opposed to kiln dried hardwood, but I don't expect I will even notice this over its lifespan. I think we paid around 1800. You can check wayfair although we didn't buy ours from there.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 am

If OP time travels back to 1980 he can buy one for $500. I have one (still in use).

$500 for leather is...very optimistic these days. I recommend not expecting much. OP might just find something that will work OK for a few years.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Ekornes-Stressle ... 7023262557