Visible wireless. Any experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hmw

Visible wireless. Any experience?

Post by hmw »

Visible wireless seems to be significantly better than what we have with Cricket. Visible offers unlimited data on Verizon network. Cricket uses AT&T network. Verizon has better network where we live. The plan cost $40/line but can be as low as $25/line if I get “party pay”.

Any BH have any experience with Visible? Good or bad? Thanks
Last edited by hmw on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Re: Invisible wireless. Any experience?

Post by 02nz »

hmw wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:55 pm Invisible wireless seems to be significantly better than what we have with Cricket. Invisible offers unlimited data on Verizon network. Cricket uses AT&T network. Verizon has better network where we live. The plan cost $40/line but can be as low as $25/line if I get “party pay”.

Any BH have any experience with Invisible? Good or bad? Thanks
Did you mean Visible Wireless? Not finding a company called Invisible Wireless. Or maybe they exist and their internet presence is invisible. :P

If you can live with 5GB, Red Pocket offers Verizon (or you can also choose AT&T or Sprint) for $20/mo if you pay for a year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Mo-Red-Pock ... 3058350672. This sometimes goes on sale for even cheaper - $195.

Visible is owned by Verizon, whereas Red Pocket (like most other MVNOs) merely contract with the major carriers. In some cases this can mean a difference in service quality - the MVNOs may get de-prioritized in case of high traffic. But I've used Red Pocket on Verizon for months and had no issues.
Topic Author
hmw

Re: Invisible wireless. Any experience?

Post by hmw »

02nz wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:02 pm
hmw wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:55 pm Invisible wireless seems to be significantly better than what we have with Cricket. Invisible offers unlimited data on Verizon network. Cricket uses AT&T network. Verizon has better network where we live. The plan cost $40/line but can be as low as $25/line if I get “party pay”.

Any BH have any experience with Invisible? Good or bad? Thanks
Did you mean Visible Wireless? Not finding a company called Invisible Wireless. Or maybe they exist and their internet presence is invisible. :P

If you can live with 5GB, Red Pocket offers Verizon (or you can also choose AT&T or Sprint) for $20/mo if you pay for a year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Mo-Red-Pock ... 3058350672. This sometimes goes on sale for even cheaper - $195.
Yup. Visible. My bad. 😀
Makefile

Re: Visible wireless. Any experience?

Post by Makefile »

I've had it since January. Overall, it's worked well especially for the price. I don't use the Internet access for anything but company email and chat and occasionally looking something up. I'm not sure how it would perform for streaming video. It's had a few glitches in that time, for example something went awry with SMS for an hour or two a few weeks ago. Hopefully, they are resolving some of that. I have a landline, and might have been more irritated with the glitches without it.

I've run into two no-service areas. Both were rural and mountainous. In metropolitan areas it seems fine. If I understand right part of this is that Visible either works over 4G LTE or not at all, i.e. it can't downgrade to a previous generation. But the carriers seem intent on shutting off 3G anyway so that may resolve itself eventually over the next year or two.

A nice thing is that after applying taxes, they discount the charge back down to $40, (or $25 with the maximum party pay), so that the rate includes taxes. I was able to find a party to join on Reddit to receive the maximum discount.

They are supposed to have a "millennial" focus. For example, there is no toll-free number to call for account issues, only chat and SMS. They do not issue a formal pdf statement, so if you submit your bill to anyone for reimbursement you'll have to make sure they accept screenshots of the account pages.
KT785

Post by KT785 »

Wife and I just switched over last weekend from Verizon (postpaid) after reviewing various options (Cricket, Google Fi, Mint) and doing deep-dives on their Reddit threads. We previously had a shared 8GB plan with Verizon that we frequently bumped up against (mostly due to wifi issues at our large house, which will be remedied by an upcoming mesh network installation). Data usage is otherwise more limited to commuting (streaming music, Waze/Apple Maps, etc.) since we have wifi at home and at work. So far, only minor hiccup was not receiving short form SMS messages (Bank verifications, etc.) related to porting a number to a new network (though Visible is actually a subsidiary of Verizon) and resolved in a day or so from the move.

Speeds and coverage are the same as they were with Verizon (San Antonio and Texas Hill Country area for us); strongly encourage you to give it a look, but understand that you need to follow the directions (if porting a number) exactly as laid out since a lot of the complaints seem to be related to that issue.

Am planning on helping my parents move over to Visible (also from Verizon) in the next week or so; will have the SIM cards shipped to their house right before they head down to Texas to visit us and I'll handle the install and switch for them. It's not complicated, but I'd rather guarantee a seemless experience for them . . . . and then we'll finish off our 4 person Party Pay to get $25 per line :D

Happy to answer any questions you have!

KT785
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

Makefile wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:33 pm
A nice thing is that after applying taxes, they discount the charge back down to $40, (or $25 with the maximum party pay), so that the rate includes taxes. I was able to find a party to join on Reddit to receive the maximum discount.

They are supposed to have a "millennial" focus. For example, there is no toll-free number to call for account issues, only chat and SMS. They do not issue a formal pdf statement, so if you submit your bill to anyone for reimbursement you'll have to make sure they accept screenshots of the account pages.
Was it easy to find a random party to join and get the $25/line pricing? Thanks
9liner

Post by 9liner »

Be prepared for horrendous customer service in terms of wait times. We had an issue porting our number and didn’t hear back from anybody for over 2 days. A recent support session yielded an approximate 58 minute wait time. These issues, coupled with what I would call “degraded” service (Data speeds were lacking and SMS was sketchy on more than a few occasions) compared to a VZW post-paid account was enough to make us switch to another provider. It’s about $20 more expensive, but the ability to talk to a human and service reliability are worth it to us.
peseta

Post by peseta »

I also found data speeds were very degraded compared to Verizon. I believe that Visible is heavily deprioritized when there is network congestion. This happens frequently where I live (DC area), because Verizon is popular here and is the carrier of choice for most government agencies. I bought when they were offering a $100 gift card for changing service, which required staying on Visible for 2 months. I jumped ship right after I did my time.

I found current AT&T prepaid offer worked much better for me (as long as you are okay with 8 GB); $25/month if you prepay for a year: www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/select-plan
rj49

Post by rj49 »

I tried it for a month, but the data speeds were unusable, even in a dense neighborhood. I tried Verizon through Xfinity wireless later and got excellent speeds. I thought of switching back again when they stopped capping speeds, but then they were overwhelmed and people were telling horror stories of waiting days to get contact from customer service (you can only contact them online through the Visible app).

There are plenty of other options for good plans. Cricket is running an unlimited data plan now for $40 a month, Red Pocket mobile has ebay annual plans with 15GB a month for $33 a month. I have a Walmart ATT plan with 25GB of monthly data, plus Canada/Mexico data, for $40 a month. If you or a plan partner is over 55, T-Mobile has 2 lines for $70 a month. BestMVNO.com will show charts of various plans and current offers and deals.

The best part about Visible is that you can get good prices on iphones and other ones at a discount, and if you keep the phone for 2 billing periods you can get up to $200 back as a cash card, then cancel service and keep the phone if you like. I actually just bought a $570 iphone X and never activated service, and just used the phone on ATT.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

hmw wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:32 pm Was it easy to find a random party to join and get the $25/line pricing? Thanks
I found a 3-person party on Reddit, so I was lucky. It may get easier or harder with time as initial interest dies down?
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

I use it since they came out with their service in around May 2018. The first months were frustrating but that changed since around last year and I'm pretty happy with them. $40 for all in including fast data is awesome and I don't understand why people still pay so much with other providers.

I use data heavily and for the most part don't have any problems with visible. Furthermore, the quality of a normal voice call is great which I can't say about other cheap providers such as mint or cricket.

My experience has been good so far and I will stay with them for the next years. If you want to join a group maybe we can start one together?
Taz

Post by Taz »

Just switched two numbers from Total Wireless buying two Pixel phones ($200 x 2 rebates). Service is LTE only.

Porting in was painful for the first phone. You use their app to oversee the activation. DON'T try to activate until you get their email message or you may mess it up. Plan on using chat, Twitter messaging, or Facebook messaging for customer service. After multiple chat sessions, I convinced them to call us. We had to activate the SIM in the other phone before it would work. The other SIM activated fine.

So far service in my local area has been fine. Speed is faster than TW.
The destination matters.
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

KT785 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:48 pm Wife and I just switched over last weekend from Verizon (postpaid) after reviewing various options (Cricket, Google Fi, Mint) and doing deep-dives on their Reddit threads. We previously had a shared 8GB plan with Verizon that we frequently bumped up against (mostly due to wifi issues at our large house, which will be remedied by an upcoming mesh network installation). Data usage is otherwise more limited to commuting (streaming music, Waze/Apple Maps, etc.) since we have wifi at home and at work. So far, only minor hiccup was not receiving short form SMS messages (Bank verifications, etc.) related to porting a number to a new network (though Visible is actually a subsidiary of Verizon) and resolved in a day or so from the move.

Speeds and coverage are the same as they were with Verizon (San Antonio and Texas Hill Country area for us); strongly encourage you to give it a look, but understand that you need to follow the directions (if porting a number) exactly as laid out since a lot of the complaints seem to be related to that issue.

Am planning on helping my parents move over to Visible (also from Verizon) in the next week or so; will have the SIM cards shipped to their house right before they head down to Texas to visit us and I'll handle the install and switch for them. It's not complicated, but I'd rather guarantee a seemless experience for them . . . . and then we'll finish off our 4 person Party Pay to get $25 per line :D

KT785
Hi there,
Are you still happy with Visible Wireless? I am in the San Antonio area and my wife and I both have an iPhone X and we are thinking of switching to Visible. But after seeing a lot of horror stories from other customers, we are a bit skeptical. Can you please comment on your experience in the past 3 months? Any dropped calls? Any issues with LTE speeds? Any other issues?
KT785

Post by KT785 »

kaybee wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:17 pm
KT785 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:48 pm Wife and I just switched over last weekend from Verizon (postpaid) after reviewing various options (Cricket, Google Fi, Mint) and doing deep-dives on their Reddit threads. We previously had a shared 8GB plan with Verizon that we frequently bumped up against (mostly due to wifi issues at our large house, which will be remedied by an upcoming mesh network installation). Data usage is otherwise more limited to commuting (streaming music, Waze/Apple Maps, etc.) since we have wifi at home and at work. So far, only minor hiccup was not receiving short form SMS messages (Bank verifications, etc.) related to porting a number to a new network (though Visible is actually a subsidiary of Verizon) and resolved in a day or so from the move.

KT785
Hi there,
Are you still happy with Visible Wireless? I am in the San Antonio area and my wife and I both have an iPhone X and we are thinking of switching to Visible. But after seeing a lot of horror stories from other customers, we are a bit skeptical. Can you please comment on your experience in the past 3 months? Any dropped calls? Any issues with LTE speeds? Any other issues?
Hi kaybee,

We're still happy with the service and since my initial post, my parents have also switched over and are extremely pleased with the service (nearly indistinguishable from Verizon for them in their rural area) and especially the price.

We have encountered the occasional hiccup but these seem very location specific; for example, there are a couple places in The Rim where we have great signal strength (and have no issue with calls) but data speeds are virtually non-existent . . . admittedly, I had this same issue on Verizon once or twice too.

I should also note that our time is spent primarily near the medical center / UTSA area and up to Boerne; YMMV based on location and population density / congestion.

I also know Visible is currently performing system upgrades across the country right now (they alert us before they take place) and things have gotten even better since those upgrades started.

Happy to answer any other questions.

KT785
msi

Post by msi »

Does Visible have any way to make/receive calls to/from Canada? Or is it strictly 100% US?
KT785

Post by KT785 »

msi wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 am Does Visible have any way to make/receive calls to/from Canada? Or is it strictly 100% US?
It's my understanding that it's strictly US, so no calling to/from Canada. For international travel, I plan on leveraging an eSIM as needed to supplement my Visible service. You may want to check out the Visible subreddit for input from others re: international calling.

KT785
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

KT785 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 am
kaybee wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:17 pm

KT785
Hi there,
Hi kaybee,

We're still happy with the service and since my initial post, my parents have also switched over and are extremely pleased with the service (nearly indistinguishable from Verizon for them in their rural area) and especially the price.

We have encountered the occasional hiccup but these seem very location specific; for example, there are a couple places in The Rim where we have great signal strength (and have no issue with calls) but data speeds are virtually non-existent . . . admittedly, I had this same issue on Verizon once or twice too.

I should also note that our time is spent primarily near the medical center / UTSA area and up to Boerne; YMMV based on location and population density / congestion.

I also know Visible is currently performing system upgrades across the country right now (they alert us before they take place) and things have gotten even better since those upgrades started.

Happy to answer any other questions.

KT785
Thank you so much KT785. My wife and I ordered our sim cards yesterday and we should be getting them on Monday. You helped a lot in our decision making process because no matter what someone in Atlanta or NY or Chicago say about service, it is not as relevant for us as someone in San Antonio who has used this service. God bless you.
Taz

Post by Taz »

kaybee wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:02 pm Thank you so much KT785. My wife and I ordered our sim cards yesterday and we should be getting them on Monday. You helped a lot in our decision making process because no matter what someone in Atlanta or NY or Chicago say about service, it is not as relevant for us as someone in San Antonio who has used this service. God bless you.
Wait for the email telling you to insert you the SIM card. Just because you received the sim card and the Visible app "seems" to tell you that you are good doesn't mean that they are ready to port you over.
The destination matters.
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

Taz wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:36 am
kaybee wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:02 pm Thank you so much KT785. My wife and I ordered our sim cards yesterday and we should be getting them on Monday. You helped a lot in our decision making process because no matter what someone in Atlanta or NY or Chicago say about service, it is not as relevant for us as someone in San Antonio who has used this service. God bless you.
Wait for the email telling you to insert you the SIM card. Just because you received the sim card and the Visible app "seems" to tell you that you are good doesn't mean that they are ready to port you over.
Thanks Taz. I have heard people say that they have had issues with activation. Any tips to make it go smoothly? Our SIM cards will reach Monday, and we are thinking of waiting to activate until Thursday.
Taz

Post by Taz »

kaybee wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:14 am
Thanks Taz. I have heard people say that they have had issues with activation. Any tips to make it go smoothly? Our SIM cards will reach Monday, and we are thinking of waiting to activate until Thursday.
My daughter waited for the email. No problems.
I jumped the gun on my wife's new Pixel 3a figuring that the sim was there and the app told me next step was to insert the sim, so why bother waiting for the next email to say it's ready. Stuck in the sim & I could see the visible network but the sim activation stalled. Had to activate the sim in my new Pixel 3a (once the email showed up) after hours on chat and twitter and finally on phone. The Visible reddit was semi-useful -- just to read about what others did.

Still enjoy the service. Not the fastest but works everywhere I've been.
The destination matters.
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

Taz wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pm
kaybee wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:14 am
My daughter waited for the email. No problems.
I jumped the gun on my wife's new Pixel 3a figuring that the sim was there and the app told me next step was to insert the sim, so why bother waiting for the next email to say it's ready. Stuck in the sim & I could see the visible network but the sim activation stalled. Had to activate the sim in my new Pixel 3a (once the email showed up) after hours on chat and twitter and finally on phone. The Visible reddit was semi-useful -- just to read about what others did.

Still enjoy the service. Not the fastest but works everywhere I've been.
Thanks Taz. I activated yesterday for me and my wife and it was flawless. In fact it was the fastest activation I had ever seen. Just installed the sim and it said there is a carrier settings update, and then I went into the Visible app and activated, and it was good to go. Now all we need is 2 more people so we can do a party pay. All in all, very nice experience. And like you said, its not the fastest but works everywhere so far. I was getting 1 to 2 bars at work with T-Mobile. Now with this, I get 3 to 4 (mostly 4) bars of service at work.
robandjeanne

Post by robandjeanne »

I noticed Visible requires phones that are a lot newer than what I have. However the ZTE a7 for $99 on Visible's website seems like a good deal. Does anyone have any experience using a phone (like ZTE a7 which I think is unlocked), with a SIM from another network like Cricket or Airvoice (both AT&T)? This way you could sign up fro Visible's unlimited data when you needed it (say in the summer) and use a cheaper service like Airvoice the other times.
Madboggle

Post by Madboggle »

hmw wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:32 pm
Makefile wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:33 pm

Was it easy to find a random party to join and get the $25/line pricing? Thanks
There is an entire sub Reddit where you can find open slots in party pay. I used Visible service for a while and love them. The data speeds are really good, at least I was grandfathered at no cap speeds. I live in a metropolitan city and very rarely I have experienced data throttling or sub par performance.
investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 »

Visible sounds great on paper! I transferred two phones lines with phone numbers to them four months ago. The transfer process out of Verizon was flawless. I had good coverage thanks to the Verizon towers. BUT>>>>>>>Visible customers' data usage is "prioritized" lowest on Verizon's system. Data was so incredibly slow during daytime hours. SLOW!!!!!!! Not just a little slow but a lot slow. I transferred back to Verizon after just a couple of weeks because I couldn't tolerate how slow data service was.

The process of transferring numbers back to Verizon was torturous! I spent the better part of two days getting the numbers our of Visible and back to Verizon. It turns out there are just a few representatives at Verizon the have any experience with fetching phone numbers from Visible. These people are "specialists" and there aren't very many of them. Finally I got the numbers back to Verizon.

I'd think long and hard before moving your numbers to Visible. If you accept new phone numbers and are willing to put up with slow data you'll probably be satisfied. But don't expect data speeds equivalent to premium service on Verizon because you won't get it. You always get what you pay for......
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
keystone

Post by keystone »

I tried Visible for a few months but finally gave up on it this past week and switched to Total Wireless.

Although I found the cellular service and call quality was good and data speeds were good enough, I was experiencing a few too many glitches. One issue had to do with delayed voicemail notifications, which would sometimes take up to 2 weeks to show up on my phone. People were calling me, leaving messages and I had no idea. Sometimes the phone call wouldn't even register even though my phone was on the entire time and in a high signal area. I did all of the troubleshooting with the help of customer service, but no luck. From my reading of another forum, I believe this voicemail issue is unique to Pixel phones on Visible (and may not affect all Pixels). I never experienced this issue on Google Fi.

I was also not receiving random text messages or my intended recipients were not receiving them, which was really annoying and customer service could not rectify. These two issues were enough for me to go elsewhere.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

hmw wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:55 pm Visible wireless seems to be significantly better than what we have with Cricket. Visible offers unlimited data on Verizon network. Cricket uses AT&T network. Verizon has better network where we live. The plan cost $40/line but can be as low as $25/line if I get “party pay”.

Any BH have any experience with Visible? Good or bad? Thanks
I looked at Visible but read the same things as other have said.

FWIW, Consumer Cellular has unlimited plans now. They have t-mobile or At&T. You have to call to get your choice. I've tried Mint and it was really good but didn't like the fact I had to prepay 12 months to get the same deal as Consumer cellular's month to month.

I've heard good things about Spectrum but at $45 a line with no multi line discount

I settles on Consumer Cellular's unlimited 3 lines for $85(with AARP discount)$90 without the discount.
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

Tried Visible for a month. Agreed with another poster that the data was extremely slow (webpages took minutes to load) when Verizon normally does not have problems in the same area. Most likely this is specific to my city and it is heavily location dependent. YMMV.
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

OP here.

I ended up getting visible a few months ago. I used a link on Reddit to enroll in party pay. $25/month including all fees. Generally I am pretty happy with the service. I have not noticed any difference compared to my previous carrier (cricket).
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

keystone wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm I tried Visible for a few months but finally gave up on it this past week and switched to Total Wireless.

Although I found the cellular service and call quality was good and data speeds were good enough, I was experiencing a few too many glitches. One issue had to do with delayed voicemail notifications, which would sometimes take up to 2 weeks to show up on my phone. People were calling me, leaving messages and I had no idea. Sometimes the phone call wouldn't even register even though my phone was on the entire time and in a high signal area. I did all of the troubleshooting with the help of customer service, but no luck. From my reading of another forum, I believe this voicemail issue is unique to Pixel phones on Visible (and may not affect all Pixels). I never experienced this issue on Google Fi.

I was also not receiving random text messages or my intended recipients were not receiving them, which was really annoying and customer service could not rectify. These two issues were enough for me to go elsewhere.
Thanks for this...I have had the same problems on my Pixel 3a...data speed is fine in my area...since I'm happy with paying $25/month in a party (group) looks like it's time for a new phone...
Bruse213

Post by Bruse213 »

We've been very happy with Visible for over a year now. Much better call quality and speeds compared to our former Sprint service. For $25/month it's hard to beat especially with the unlimited hotspot which makes working mobile extremely convenient.