Appliance purchase - Brand & Store Strategy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Saving$

Appliance purchase - Brand & Store Strategy

Post by Saving$ »

Need to purchase new appliances for a new home in what appears to be the midst of a nationwide appliance shortage. Was going to get low to middle cost standard appliances - not fancy. I'm interested in the BH feedback on the below issues:
  • 1. Strategy 1: Purchase appliances with best feature/price combo from Costco
    Pros: Get the 4 year parts & labor warranty, lowest overall cost and the 4% rebate, which would seem to be the best overall strategy, EXCEPT
    Cons: The first two years of the 4 year P&L warranty is through the mfg, the last 2 years is through Costco concierge services acting as an agent
    between the buyer and the mfg. Online reviews of almost ALL of the appliance mfg service / warranty departments are terrible, and online
    reviews of Costco concierge services
    are equally horrible (with many people commenting they are giving one star only because there is no option to give 0 stars).

2. Strategy 2: Purchase appliances with the best combo of reliability history and mfg warranty from Costco
    Pros: Least chance of having a headache with appliance and if there is an issue in first 4 years at least it only costs time not money
    Cons: Costco is completely out of many appliances and has no idea when they will be back in stock so this is not really an option.

3. Strategy 3: Purchase appliances from a local appliance shop
    Pros: They have their own repair staff, parts and a direct line to the mfgs
    Cons: They do not sell LG or Samsung due to months long delays in getting repair parts. That leaves Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire and the high end
    Bosch, Meilie, Wolf, SubZero, etc Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire would be fine, but these shops charge more for these appliances than Costco (but Costco is out)
At this point the only choice is to purchase what is available, which seems to be a choice between:

a. Buy low cost LG or Samsung from the big box stores. If something goes wrong, depending on which appliance it is, deal with the wait for repairs or just use the money saved between this and option c to buy a new appliance at that time. This will only be cost neutral if only one appliance fails.
I am leaning toward this option because given the current shortage, I'm not going to get what I really want no matter how much money I spend.

b. Buy middle range cost LG or Samsung that are somewhat available. Buy some from Costco, some from Home Depot (they have different availability than Costco). Hope the one that goes out is the one I bought from Costco and deal with the repair aggravation.

c. Buy higher end GE, Frigidaire or Whirlpool models from a local appliance store and hope the added cost reduces chance of an issue, and if there is one the local appliance store will deal with it, for a price after 1 year warranty (and using Costco card I can get warranty doubled and at least get reimbursed for warranty repairs in 2nd year)
UpperNwGuy

Re: Appliance purchase - Brand & Store Strategy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

When I was a homeowner, I always opted to buy from the local appliance stores. It was worth the slightly higher price.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

DO NOT buy a Samsung fridge. Friend recently bought Whirlpool fridge from Costco. Very pleased.
I bought a great Kitchen aid dish washer from Best Buy last year. And GE oven and Gas cook top.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Are you sure years 3-4 is through concierge service? We bought a dryer through them and years 3-4 are through the Costco credit card which doubles the original warranty Costco offered (2 years).
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

My experience (after many years of house ownership) is that appliance failures are not very frequent. And when they happen in many cases I can do repairs using on-line resources and parts supply. So I don't agonize over appliance purchases and generally make my choice from the big box stores.

But then I don't do high-end appliances where I am locked into a brand.

I do suggest that you choose appliances of a common size and with installation requirements that are typical. (Got stuck once with a JennAir range that had an unusual exhaust arrangement, so I HAD to repair it or buy an identical model.)

By the way, if you do NEED a repair it is likely to be in the first couple of years, or after many years. It is not likely that you will get much benefit from years 3 and 4 of a warranty. Bathtub failure curve.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

When we bought our appliances, we went with open box / display models of Wolf, Monogram, etc. At retail, we would be uncomfortable paying for these models, but you can get a great deal on a like-new model. I checked eBay and local appliance stores.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We used a small, local appliance chain for our newest appliances. We bought on Black Friday, qualified for a 10% rebate + a floor bot. Used a 2% rebate card. Store delivered the following February when we were ready to have them installed. Store would have installed free, but builder preferred installing them.

Salesman worked strictly with builders/remodelers, zero pressure. Cheaper than the big box stores. I would have considered Costco, but they didn't have the sale on the ones DW wanted.

Thing is, kitchen appliances are pretty inexpensive today, all in all.

I'm not sure there is a particular useful strategy other than researching what you want, and shopping around.

At any given time there will be some place that will offer the best price, though the best price will not always be found at the same place with much consistancy.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

We buy from Abt.com. They have inventory available, low prices (call for even better pricing than the website), ship quickly and free, and don't charge sales tax in many states. You have to get someone to install (most are easy DIY), and get a local place for any repairs.
Bogle7

Go local

Post by Bogle7 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:11 amWhen I was a homeowner, I always opted to buy from the local appliance stores. It was worth the slightly higher price.
+1

We have purchased $30K worth of appliances for our current house.
Local store has own delivery crew, not sub-contractors.
Local store had excellent customer service when there was a problem with installation/DOA.

We are fans of Miele and Sub-Zero.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Depends on what you are buying. We just moved and need W/D so we went with Costco LG mid line trim. Had to to wait two weeks during which we just went to the local laundromat and got to know the neighbors. CC did a great job on delivery and hookup.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Last year remodeled our kitchen and bought all new appliances. We didn't go with a local supplier simply because in our rural area, the options were slim at best. But we did go to a larger city and buy all of them at a local business there versus a big box store. Because we bought everything there and were just starting the remodel, they were happy to order and hold them until we had a firm date for delivery so we didn't end up with a garage full of appliances gathering dust. One of the cabinets was ordered wrong so they couldn't install all the appliances the first attempt. They came back after the cabinet was replaced and installed the cooktop with no extra cost to us. Service was top notch throughout the entire experience.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Always found the price/reliability equation good with the Whirlpool/KitchenAid family. Prefer local appliance place for service backup reasons.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

I've been VERY happy with the service from Costco - the ability to return and swap out, no questions asked is amazing, as is the hassle free installation.

I got myself upper end LG appliances (not hte signature line, but the one below that), and I'm very happy with my fridge, washer/dryer so far.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Do NOT buy samsung or LG fridge - just don't - they're total crap - just ask any repair person. I'd pick anything you can get at costco, just for the free extended warranty. I tried my best to buy from ther, but both costco and sam's in my area were all out of stock on fridges that fit my space, with no estimated replenishment date. Couldn't take living out of a cooler any longer, so bought at Lowes - waited just 3 days and enjoyed a flawless delivery/installation experience.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower »

May or may not apply to your particular case, but do you have access to any kind of employer discount plan for major appliances?

Our dishwasher recently died(13+ years old) and no matter where I looked I couldn't get any of the models I wanted in less than 6-8 weeks.

I checked my employers discount program and found that I could get 25% off of a Bosch dishwasher, and I was able to get it to my door in less than a week, shipped direct from Bosch.

Certainly this doesn't work for everyone but may be worth looking into....
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Normally, I’d say go to the local appliance store. But the last time I needed appliances, Costco and the local store were selling the exact same stuff. We had to get a fridge from the appliance store because Costco didn’t have anything to fit the space, but for the rest of the stuff, all things considered (warranty, etc), Costco had the better deal.

And yeah, like someone else mentioned. Samsung fridge. Big NO. Only fridge I’ve ever had that had to be completely replaced under warranty. And that wasn’t the end of the problems. So glad YouTube exists, and I can be my own refrigerator repair person instead of paying someone else. Poor, poor design.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I prefer the local applicant store. I would stay away from GE. I am not happy with either the fridge or the double oven.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Find a local appliance shop.

If you are buying more than 1 appliance they will be able to deal better than the big boys anyway.

There is no need for extended warranties either.

Stay away from from Frigidaire. Our builder used these and many are dying. Even their luxury line isn't that great. If we have more than 3 people in the house the icemaker can't keep up. Our microwave bit the dust in 4 years.

I've always had whirlpool (washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, stove and ovens) and been very happy.
mkc

Post by mkc »

You mention new appliances for a new house. Is this a new build? If so, were appliances included in your spec/allowances?

From our experience, if the appliances go through the builder, the builder is responsible for any cabinet damage, etc. during installation. If through a third party, the builder often will not do the install and any damage will be on your dime to repair (if the builder even allows installation before you've closed). That latter part brings up CO and mortgage may require minimum of built-ins being installed in order to close, so you can end up in a catch-22.

And agree with others - avoid Samsung appliances in general due to repair/reliability issues (and Samsung owns the Dacor brand name, so don't go that route, either).
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Saving$ wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 am Need to purchase new appliances for a new home in what appears to be the midst of a nationwide appliance shortage. Was going to get low to middle cost standard appliances - not fancy. I'm interested in the BH feedback on the below issues:

c. Buy higher end GE, Frigidaire or Whirlpool models from a local appliance store and hope the added cost reduces chance of an issue, and if there is one the local appliance store will deal with it, for a price after 1 year warranty (and using Costco card I can get warranty doubled and at least get reimbursed for warranty repairs in 2nd year)
We bought a new GE fridge. we had specific needs in height (fit under the cabinet with a bit of work), 2 door, bottom freezer. we bought from a local store. 2 weeks ago they came and took care of a noise (ice accumulation, door adjustment.)
very happy with price and service. Costco was too big.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

ZapRowsdower wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:42 am May or may not apply to your particular case, but do you have access to any kind of employer discount plan for major appliances?

Our dishwasher recently died(13+ years old) and no matter where I looked I couldn't get any of the models I wanted in less than 6-8 weeks.

I checked my employers discount program and found that I could get 25% off of a Bosch dishwasher, and I was able to get it to my door in less than a week, shipped direct from Bosch.

Certainly this doesn't work for everyone but may be worth looking into....
What are the names of such programs?