Costco Appliances

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Costco Appliances

Post by OldBallCoach »

We are just finishing up our guest house in the next month or so and DW went to local appliance store to buy stove, 2 fridges, 2 dishwashers, microwave, washer and 2 dryers, Was told there is a shortage of many kitchen appliances due to covid. She is looking at like midgrade LG, Whirlpool, ect...they told her 2-3 months. Anyone run into this? So she wandered over to the local Costco and can get all of it there in a few weeks...no issues...price is decent...so...question is this...has anyone used Costco for complete kitchen, etc and how has their service been and repairs issues? Thanks in advance!!
neglogic

Re: Costco Appliances

Post by neglogic »

We bought a stove/microwave package from Costo. They installed the microwave with no issues. They needed to find a "certified" installer for the gas stove. After about 2 weeks of waiting, we hired our own local guy to install it and Costco reimbursed us.

Despite the minor hiccup with the gas stove, I would definitely buy appliances from Costco again.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Even before the COVID, a wait of 2 to 4 weeks is normal. It's not an issue of Costco or Costco.com, it's how easy or hard to schedule a 3rd party delivery and installation in your area.
Audioarc

Post by Audioarc »

I purchased 2 GE appliances last year from Costco . I saved a few bucks. Costco installation was less expensive. During the first year I needed warranty service through Costco Concierge covered by GE which was no problem. This year I needed service and Costco covered the repair. The warranties are extended by buying at Costco, and using the Costco Citicard. I considered it a better experience than buying 2 other appliances from Home Depot.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

Have bought appliances from Costco many times (my home and for several rental properties) and their service is top notch, I would say above what HD, Lowes and Sears (RIP) offer. Costco is just the middleman so you are really buying from the manufactrer and they are the ones who setup the delivery and installation.

Note that the installation from Costco includes everything that others charge extra for (haul away, any hoses and cables that may be needed) - Just that is worth an extra $100 or so. Plus, 4% cashback using the Costco card.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I bought a washer and dryer from them. Delivery and Installation were perfect.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

My experience buying stuff like that from Costco has been fine. You order it, someone calls in a couple of days and schedules delivery and installation for a few days hence. The delivery people come, install it, and leave.

I haven’t done anything with them since COVID, though.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Bought all the appliances for a new build through Costco. I was VERY happy with the experience - installation was seamless, and the one thing I needed to return was easy to set up (wanted to switch to something else after).

Would highly recommend it.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Bought a washer and dryer there in May. Happy with the appliances thus far, but the third party delivery/installation was poor. Ordered through Costco because of the warranty and free delivery/install, however the day they were supposed to be delivered I received a call stating they could not install because of COVID. Only deliver to my garage. Understandable given the pandemic, but definitely disappointing considering I ordered a week earlier and was assured delivery/install could happen if done responsibly (everyone wears mask and gloves).
Watty

Post by Watty »

OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm Was told there is a shortage of many kitchen appliances due to covid.
I also ran into that even back in June when I needed to replace a washing machine.
OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm She is looking at like midgrade LG, Whirlpool, ect
I could be mistaken but as I recall I have seen posts about how it can take months to get a replacement part for LG or Samsung appliances. Be sure to research how easy it is to get parts for the brands you are looking at.
OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm has anyone used Costco for complete kitchen, etc and how has their service been and repairs issues?
As I recall for individual appliances the Costco installations that I have had included things like hoses, plugs, etc that other places charged for.

The Coscto warranty is usually for two years when it would only be one year if you bought it someplace else. If you buy it with a Costco credit card it will double to four years so that makes it worthwhile to get a Costco credit card if you do not already have one.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Excellent Costco experience with multiple appliance purchases. Backed by Costco excellent service and the extra warranty is a huge plus.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We have purchased multiple appliances from Costco. Excellent prices and delivery and installation MUCH better than from the usual big box store vendors. The only caveat is that Costco carries a more limited selection of items than other vendors. But if they stock the specific appliance you want, I don't think they can be beat for price and service.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I bought a fridge from Costco a couple of years ago. Better price and included installation etc..

Just one piece of advice, especially since you are purchasing so many appliances - thoroughly look over each one when they’re delivered and send back any that have dents, etc that you can’t live with. My fridge had a dent that I knew would irritate me, but I let them leave the fridge and reported the issue within the appropriate amount of time. It turned out to be a huge hassle, and I wasted a lot of time on the phone to get the issue resolved. Never again, but at that point, I think I was just desperate for a refrigerator.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Got stacking LG washer and dryer from Costco, have worked fine. Installer did some huffing and puffing about this and that but eventually did the installation and haul away. Warranty extensions from Costco add a lot of value.

Also bought a Whirlpool refrigerator from Costco. With warranty extension from Costco and a five year service contract which cost $165 the refrigerator was warranteed for 7 years. Used warrantee service 3 or 4 times in the first 7 years. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues working...
msi

Post by msi »

Luckywon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 am Also bought a Whirlpool refrigerator from Costco. With warranty extension from Costco and a five year service contract which cost $165 the refrigerator was warranteed for 7 years. Used warrantee service 3 or 4 times in the first 7 years. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues working...
Wow, 3-4 warranty service calls in 7 years? What was wrong with it?
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

msi wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:39 am
Luckywon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 am Also bought a Whirlpool refrigerator from Costco. With warranty extension from Costco and a five year service contract which cost $165 the refrigerator was warranteed for 7 years. Used warrantee service 3 or 4 times in the first 7 years. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues working...
I can't remember exactly the parts that failed. Two or three times the freezer frosted up. One time the unit stopped working. At least two times a part had to be ordered and the unit was out of commission for a few days. I have an extra unit in my garage which was hugely helpful on those occasions. Had some dreadful experiences with the repair companies used by Whirlpool but that's for another thread or forum.....
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

neglogic wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:28 pm We bought a stove/microwave package from Costo. They installed the microwave with no issues. They needed to find a "certified" installer for the gas stove. After about 2 weeks of waiting, we hired our own local guy to install it and Costco reimbursed us.

Despite the minor hiccup with the gas stove, I would definitely buy appliances from Costco again.
You need a certified installer for a gas stove? I assume that the line has been run otherwise that's well outside the "free home installation" feature many big box stores offer.

https://www.ahs.com/home-matters/repair ... gas-stove/
Even the home warranty company has DIY installation instructions.
Last edited by Helo80 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I just pulled up every appliance package on Costco and it's nearly exclusively Samsung. Disappointing as I've read too many stories of parts going out and then having to go weeks to months without the unit as the replacement part is backordered. The same goes for Samsclub --- everything is exclusively Samsung/LG.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

msi wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:39 am
My property manager won’t buy Whirlpool. She says they have had too many issues with them.

At her recommendation, I bought a Samsung fridge, which was its own problem. Never again.

All I know now is with fridges, I want as much warranty as I can get.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Four years ago we bought a highly-rated front-loader LG washer & dryer pair from Costco, and the process went perfectly. We bought the stacking kit before delivery and the installation crew even installed them stacked. I don't want to turn this into yet another Bogleheads tipping thread, but for that additional service I gave them a $20 tip. Since then, our LG washer & dryer have had no problems.

Costco had the pair on sale for about $200 less--total including installation--than the sale price at any other retailer I could find (where they were also on sale). Other retailers only sold the washer & dryer individually, and the ones that had lower prices charged extra for delivery and installation.

When we replaced our kitchen stove this year, we went straight to Costco and bought a GE highly recommended on Consumer Reports and Wirecutter. That Costco purchase, delivery, and installation was also perfect.

Marylander1
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Bought two fridges and a washer/dryer from Costco. No complaints. I like ordering from them because if I have an issue it's Costco.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Last December I purchased a suite of GE kitchen appliances and a Samsung W/D both from Costco.

This month bought a Dishwasher and Micro/Hood from Costco (different house)

Both good experiences and their installers are locally sourced but excellent in my case.

Delivery guys are very responsive also.

Only problem I had was in the first case they did not supply the power pigtail and water lines for the dishwasher.

Did Sears 3 years ago, they were not as responsive as Costco, and installers were not very good.

ETA: when you talk to the freight dispatcher--as them for the contact number that they use to contact Costco--it will save you hours of hold time.