U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
whodidntante

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by whodidntante »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:40 am
rocketsrule wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:39 am
atdharris wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 am Why are we soaring so much today?
Who knows.. but I'm predicting a down day tomorrow after the last few being way up.
Momentum being what it is, it's more likely that up days will follow up days.
I enjoyed the book "The New Market Wizards." Based on your post history, you might also enjoy it. It has numerous anecdotes of successful traders who pick up on patterns like this, and place big bets on the continuation of the pattern. I know we are supposed to wag our fingers at stuff like that here, dismiss it as survivor bias and whatnot, but some traders have made more money than I ever will with my boring ETFs.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 am
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:40 am
Who knows.. but I'm predicting a down day tomorrow after the last few being way up.
Momentum being what it is, it's more likely that up days will follow up days.
I enjoyed the book "The New Market Wizards." Based on your post history, you might also enjoy it. It has numerous anecdotes of successful traders who pick up on patterns like this, and place big bets on the continuation of the pattern. I know we are supposed to wag our fingers at stuff like that here, dismiss it as survivor bias and whatnot, but some traders have made more money than I ever will with my boring ETFs.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

lostdog wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am
Keenobserver wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:47 am Just wait until the FOMO guys rush in
Close to the end of the trading day they'll plow in?
Hope so..looks like only a matter of time..I wouldnt mind if tomm is slightly down day either as I dont want Market getting totally carried away
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 am
Forester wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 am SPX 3,500 is like putting a man on the moon; it happened a while ago, it's scarcely believable that it did happen, and it won't happen again for a very long time.
Less than a month later (he posted that on Sept 22), Forester's predictions are wrong again.
It's been 1,728,000 seconds since 9/22/20.

Expressing the time as seconds makes it seem a lot longer :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Keenobserver wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 am
lostdog wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am
Keenobserver wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:47 am Just wait until the FOMO guys rush in
Close to the end of the trading day they'll plow in?
Hope so..looks like only a matter of time..I wouldnt mind if tomm is slightly down day either as I dont want Market getting totally carried away
I will take a guess the last 15 minutes of the trading session FOMO will happen.
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:20 am
HomerJ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 am
GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am Wait until we have a vaccine announced.
It's already been announced about 50 times I think.
Even when one is actually introduced by a trusted producer, the market will likely be skeptical. A vaccine won't change the economic situation until/if it is administered to a very large swath of the populace, probably 80-90%. Aside from production and administration issues, many have become very reticent about vaccines, and this seems even more likely to continue with a brand new vaccine that's been hurriedly brought to market.

So no, I'm not convinced that the mere announcement of a truly viable vaccine is going to quickly elicit a strong market reaction.
Well, there will definitely be a jolt when one is announced ready for public consumption. I don't think anyone will wait until 80-90% of the population to be vaccinated before jumping in to buy stocks. That's counterintuitive to how the stock market works.
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

Stinky wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 am The market is just powering up and up and up so far today.

Amazingly, new all time highs are in sight.
Not really, I think we are just getting back to the pre-virus level, right?
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

You have 50% of being right.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:09 am
GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am Wait until we have a vaccine announced.
Even when one is actually introduced by a trusted producer, the market will likely be skeptical. A vaccine won't change the economic situation until/if it is administered to a very large swath of the populace, probably 80-90%. Aside from production and administration issues, many have become very reticent about vaccines, and this seems even more likely to continue with a brand new vaccine that's been hurriedly brought to market.

So no, I'm not convinced that the mere announcement of a truly viable vaccine is going to quickly elicit a strong market reaction.
Well, there will definitely be a jolt when one is announced ready for public consumption. I don't think anyone will wait until 80-90% of the population to be vaccinated before jumping in to buy stocks. That's counterintuitive to how the stock market works.
Yes, the market is forward looking, but the mere announcement of a vaccine is almost certainly not going to result in the market instantly 'pricing in' the Coronavirus being gone in three months for the reasons I've already outlined. The market will need to be convinced that the vaccine will be effective and that a meaningfully large proportion of the population will get it. That must come some period of time after the announcement.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 am
Stinky wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 am The market is just powering up and up and up so far today.

Pre-virus all-time high was 3,386.15 on 2/19/2020.
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

Pigeye Brewster wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:18 am
GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 am

Pre-virus all-time high was 3,386.15 on 2/19/2020.
I was looking at the Dow 30 and the Nasdaq
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:13 am
GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:09 am

Yes, the market is forward looking, but the mere announcement of a vaccine is almost certainly not going to result in the market instantly 'pricing in' the Coronavirus being gone in three months for the reasons I've already outlined. The market will need to be convinced that the vaccine will be effective and that a meaningfully large proportion of the population will get it. That must come some period of time after the announcement.
Yup, we agree to disagree but if I know when such a date is going to be announced before anyone else, I would definitely buy.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Easy folks... we could all be one tweet away from wha' hoppen?
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

I suspect something is happening behind the scenes and a few people who think they are "in the know" are driving this uptrend.

Now maybe they are right and maybe they are wrong. I am just going to hang on and watch.
cj2018

Post by cj2018 »

peppers wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 am Easy folks... we could all be one tweet away from wha' hoppen?
Nah, I predict markets will continue to soar for at least 4 more years. You heard it first here :sharebeer

Or it could all be that I sold $100k worth of stocks last week for housing upgrades and Mr. Market is punishing me hard right now....who knows
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

cj2018 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 am
peppers wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 am Easy folks... we could all be one tweet away from wha' hoppen?
Nah, I predict markets will continue to soar for at least 4 more years. You heard it first here :sharebeer

Or it could all be that I sold $100k worth of stocks last week for housing upgrades and Mr. Market is punishing me hard right now....who knows
That's how it works, at least for me. :sharebeer
cj2018

Post by cj2018 »

lostdog wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am

That's how it works, at least for me. :sharebeer
Haha nice!

Come to think of it, both Prime Day and IPhone 12 are coming out the same week so probably big drivers for AMZN and AAPL :moneybag
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

This thread reminds me of the old guys sitting around watching the ticker in the first Merrill Lynch office I walked into in the 70s :beer
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

SCHB now at an all time high. Stunner of a day, earnings season just getting started. :sharebeer

:moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
#USTotalMarket #StocksOnlyGoUp
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Wow. S and P up 2%. Sure would hate to be sitting on the sidelines today.
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

Vtsax100 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm Wow. S and P up 2%. Sure would hate to be sitting on the sidelines today.
Nobody on this BH forum is sitting on the sideline. They are all invested in some kind of funds. It is just a matter whether or not they are beating the SP500 index. What happens if your chosen non SP500 funds are not beating the SP500 index?
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Whelp, I'm really glad the two other day limit sell orders I placed on Friday on some UPRO and TQQQ only met my limit price in after hours trading, and so were outed. I had a bit of FNGU and TQQQ I did sell, which hurts a little bit, but I had other things I want to do with that money anyways, so them's the breaks. :moneybag
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

rchmx1 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:16 pm Whelp, I'm really glad the two other day limit sell orders I placed on Friday on some UPRO and TQQQ only met my limit price in after hours trading, and so were outed. I had a bit of FNGU and TQQQ I did sell, which hurts a little bit, but I had other things I want to do with that money anyways, so them's the breaks. :moneybag
You bailed on FNGU? Yikes, it's up 10.49% just today. That hurts a lot.

The fund is up 246% YTD.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

I sold ~$1.2k of FNGU and ~$5k of TQQQ on Friday. Posts like this help keep things in perspective for this relatively new investor when he tries to get all smart with a defensive move. :sharebeer
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:20 pm
rchmx1 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:16 pm Whelp, I'm really glad the two other day limit sell orders I placed on Friday on some UPRO and TQQQ only met my limit price in after hours trading, and so were outed. I had a bit of FNGU and TQQQ I did sell, which hurts a little bit, but I had other things I want to do with that money anyways, so them's the breaks. :moneybag
You bailed on FNGU? Yikes, it's up 10.49% just today. That hurts a lot.

The fund is up 246% YTD.
Ya, but it was just 6 shares. I had just opened my IBKR account last month, didn't have a lot of uninvested cash but wanted to try out their margin service for the first time. So I bought 6 shares of FNGU, ~2.5 of which were on margin, when it had dipped to around $160. Made a quick, what ~30% return on the actual cash I invested when I sold at $204.4? So ya, it would have been great to capture this additional 10%, but I'm happy with my first experience with using margin, and take all this as a learning experience, an additional pleasure because I didn't end up paying for it. lol
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:28 pm
Vtsax100 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm Wow. S and P up 2%. Sure would hate to be sitting on the sidelines today.
Nobody on this BH forum is sitting on the sideline. They are all invested in some kind of funds. It is just a matter whether or not they are beating the SP500 index. What happens if your chosen non SP500 funds are not beating the SP500 index?
I believe I have seen a couple of posts about having sold everything and wondering about when to get back in.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

The most recent sell-everything movement was election-related. So those guys have a firm date to work with.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Nice end to the day. Tomorrow more green.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

You have a beer and say "we'll get 'em next year!"

I am underweighted US S&P500, with tilt to small and midcap index holdings. I also have some VMNVX (min volatility), which is still trying to recover from it's lack of volatility (/s). Basically took a big portfolio whammy in March and have barely struggled back into positive territory. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes it eats you, neh? Sometime a year or a decade from now my particular portfolio will be doing well and someone else's will be struggling. That's just how it goes.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

Portfolio7 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 pm

I am underweighted US S&P500, with tilt to small and midcap index holdings. I also have some VMNVX (min volatility), which is still trying to recover from it's lack of volatility (/s). Basically took a big portfolio whammy in March and have barely struggled back into positive territory. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes it eats you, neh? Sometime a year or a decade from now my particular portfolio will be doing well and someone else's will be struggling. That's just how it goes.
I hear ya. Sometimes I got into this line of thinking to, thinking that my holdings would turn corner, would make up lost ground. There is always the next year. Whats hard is that your account is barely breaking even while you see people around you getting 40% 50% or more YTD. Like that one thread. Its heart breaking.

Post by 000 »

000 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 pm Futures suggest a yummy day for tech stocks tomorrow :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
That was tasty
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

Well, that was indeed a soaring day. Overall portfolio hit an all-time high!
buy. hold. repeat.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

All-time high here as well, surpassing my previous 9/2/20 high. :beer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

A_Bond wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:05 pm Well, that was indeed a soaring day. Overall portfolio hit an all-time high!
Ditto!

It was a great day. New highs are just over the horizon!
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

The definition of Soaring today. New record for me too. Bought VTI all September long 8-)
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm I hear ya. Sometimes I got into this line of thinking to, thinking that my holdings would turn corner, would make up lost ground. There is always the next year. Whats hard is that your account is barely breaking even while you see people around you getting 40% 50% or more YTD. Like that one thread. Its heart breaking.
I wouldn't take the other thread too seriously.

1. A lot of people count their contributions in their return.
2. A lot of people lie on the Internet.

If you're living below your means and broadly diversified, you are probably going to win the game.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

canadianbacon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:22 pm
GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm I hear ya. Sometimes I got into this line of thinking to, thinking that my holdings would turn corner, would make up lost ground. There is always the next year. Whats hard is that your account is barely breaking even while you see people around you getting 40% 50% or more YTD. Like that one thread. Its heart breaking.
I wouldn't take the other thread too seriously.

1. A lot of people count their contributions in their return.
2. A lot of people lie on the Internet.

If you're living below your means and broadly diversified, you are probably going to win the game.
I agree with this. And for every speculator on the other thread with Vegas style gains, there are probably many who had Vegas style losses who don’t post. You’re seeing “reporting survivor bias”.
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

GoldenGoose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm
Portfolio7 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 pm

I hear ya. Sometimes I got into this line of thinking to, thinking that my holdings would turn corner, would make up lost ground. There is always the next year. Whats hard is that your account is barely breaking even while you see people around you getting 40% 50% or more YTD. Like that one thread. Its heart breaking.
it varies year to year. in 2018 and 2019 i had the small cap boom and bust. i ended up rebalancing to vanguard growth in march along with a several other things. too good of a dip to pass on.

before that, i went with the herd on here and put a decent chunk of assets in international and proceeded to get absolutely demolished.

turns out COVID was my best friend.
Last edited by tmcc on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

No surprise, at all...

Market Summary > S&P 500 Index
INDEXSP: .INX
3,534.22 +57.09 (1.64%)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

A possible red day today.
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

Another up day today. Time to ring the cash register. :sharebeer
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Yep, lots of green in premarket trading. :moneybag
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

rchmx1 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:58 am Yep, lots of green in premarket trading. :moneybag
What futures are you guys watching?

I am seeing fading green on NASDAQ and red on the other indices.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:06 am
rchmx1 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:58 am Yep, lots of green in premarket trading. :moneybag

We will see who is right in 18 minutes.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

S&P500 is flat, NASDAQ is holding green (good sign after such a strong day yesterday), and FAANG is green. Makes me feel optimistic, things popped so hard yesterday that I would have expected some profit taking and so a red day today, but we'll see.
rocketsrule

Post by rocketsrule »

Blue456 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 am

Well I'll call it now. It's going to be a down day because I bought stuff late yesterday. Sorry everyone
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I’m seeing red on S&P, green on Nasdaq.

We will know how the market does today in the fullness of time.....,
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

:oops: Unfortunately I think I was right on that little exchange...

On the bright side, Mr. Market is bravely fighting back against any further downsliding.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:08 am

On the bright side, Mr. Market is bravely fighting back against any further downsliding.
You can't have ups without some downs.
If you have too many ups then the downs are larger.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:09 am
CurlyDave wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:08 am

You can't have ups without some downs.
If you have too many ups then the downs are larger.
Precisely. I like to see the market move up progrssively with some pull back to maintain sanity. Market going only up and up makes me nervous. These patterns of daily undulation but long term gains are welcome.