Music for a camping trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Music for a camping trip

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

We'll soon be taking a camping trip in a state forested area where camping is allowed...there are no designated camp sites or services.

We'd like to listen to music while there and not necessarily from our phones only...not crazy about running down the phone battery nor relying on the phone speakers for sound quality.

Should we get an old fashioned portable radio? maybe connect our phones to external speakers and attach to battery packs?

Suggestions? Thanks
F150HD

Re: Music for a camping trip

Post by F150HD »

whole point of doing something like that IMO is to get away from tech (music) and enjoy nature.

maybe better to go to an active, crowded public campground and play your music where there will already be lots of noise.

Post by 000 »

Get one of those USB solar panels?

Or listen to nature?
wilked

Post by wilked »

What are you doing for TV?
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Bluetooth speaker will take care of your needs. I use one on my boat and the sound quality is great.
You will likely need some portable battery packs / charger to keep your electronics charged.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
rob

Post by rob »

Acoustic Guitar.... Campfire... some singing and beer... Sounds fun... Leave the cell in the car or at home.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Will there be others close enough to hear?
They may be expecting/looking forward to peace and quiet, other than nature sounds.

I can't even imagine being at a beautiful campsite and... hearing music (whether or not it is a genre we like).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

wow! thanks but no thanks.

Shaking my head, not sure how people can presume to know how others enjoy their art and in what surroundings.
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

Invite Billie and Finneas to come along... you never know 8-)
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

A bluetooth speaker like the JBL flip series that can stream music from your phone is likely going to be your easisest solution, although obviously headphones are more portable.

The above posts are not necessarily presumption. Many of us have encountered people who feel a need to drown out nature when we're trying to get away from the sounds of daily life. If you're aware of who might be around and are courteous, of course, I think the above are a good option.

USB battery banks can help keep both the phone and speaker charged if you are planning extended listening.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

As a person who likes to camp and hike, the enjoyment comes from being surrounded in nature and away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Be courteous and put on ear buds. They sell very nice ones today.

The other issue is in remote areas you don't know who you may run into.... As one example, I can tell you that in some northern GA woods, that certain people don't believe in "State" property; it's kind of their own, at least in their minds. We have carried in some of those areas.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

F150HD wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:48 pm whole point of doing something like that IMO is to get away from tech (music) and enjoy nature.

maybe better to go to an active, crowded public campground and play your music where there will already be lots of noise.
+1

In my youth I went camping and we talked and listened to sounds around us. Music would have defeated the reason for camping.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Let’s stick with the OP’s request please. If you have a helpful way of providing music then please offer.
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

Random Musings wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:48 pm As a person who likes to camp and hike, the enjoyment comes from being surrounded in nature and away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Be courteous and put on ear buds.
This
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I've had a Sangean HDR-16 for a couple of years and I am very happy with it. The long-distance reception and sensitivity and selectivity are top-notch. The full tone is very fine with its 2 speakers. It's cheap too ($71 on amazon). It runs for a long time on 4 C batteries. I would get a couple of sets of spare batteries for a trip though. You'll probably get a decent long-distance signal wherever you are.

Fastest delivery from WalMart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sangean-HDR- ... 0fbe5606d2

Amazon takes a little longer:

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDR-16-R ... VMZCYGQ33H

An alternative radio is a CCrane. I also have one and it's excellent. It takes longer to get though.

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p ... gKPUfD_BwE
Last edited by rgs92 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

If you’re camping In a national park you may be out of terrestrial radio range, in which case I suggest considering a Sirius/XM radio. Of course you must subscribe to receive a signal. Or a shortwave radio receiver with free reception, but usually only useful at night.

Edit: myself, I prefer silence, but as long as you were asking. A weather radio might be good to have though, come to think of it.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Barefoot wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:20 pm
Random Musings wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:48 pm As a person who likes to camp and hike, the enjoyment comes from being surrounded in nature and away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Be courteous and put on ear buds.
This
Agree.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:29 pm
This
Agree.
Agree. Don’t be that person.
Watty

Post by Watty »

thewizzer wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 pm
This
Agree.
+1
I have run into more than a few dodgy characters when I have been out camping.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Watty wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 pm
thewizzer wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 pm
This
Agree.
+1
I have run into more than a few dodgy characters when I have been out camping.
+5
A few years ago, I traveled on foot from Denver to Durango, CO, on the Colorado Trail. Took me six weeks.

Never listened to music other than the wind or a running stream.

Wouldn't change a thing.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

The sound produced by most portable battery-powered speakers is generally poor, from the perspective of someone with a reasonably discerning ear. Using high-quality earbuds/in-ear monitors will give you much better and more enjoyable sound while limiting your potential to severely annoy and potentially provoke others who are within hearing distance.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Bluetooth speaker that can be charged with USB.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Quiet is safety. You never know who else is in the forest, nor whether they have a firearm. Everyone is on edge nowadays. Don't become a target. There is not much help to intervene in the woods.
I am sure you read about the recent killing of a father in the woods and his son had to run and escape and hide. And they were simply driving on a road. Not even any reason for the killing.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Look at some of the bigger JBL portable bluetooth speakers. I have a JBL charge 3 and it will play music for at least 24 hours at normal volumes. It has great sound too. It can also charge phones but that drains the battery quickly. For the music, get a spotify premium trial and download a bunch to your phone. Use your cars to charge the phones.

Some people in this thread don't understand that camping can also be a party. Listening to birds chirp isn't the only thing one can do in the woods, especially in an area with dispersed camping and no designated campsites. Not likely to be crowded, doubly so this time of year.
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

Not likely to be crowded, doubly so this time of year.
Nonsense. Last week in Idaho the campgrounds were packed. Anyone within a km of your party will be angry and highly resentful of your intrusion. Some could be hunters even. You will be confronted. I saw it happen after some clown with CO plates was playing some techno music in a national monument campground. Fortunately all were reasonable people. Fair warning on this. Enjoy nature!
Watty

Post by Watty »

dixdak wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 am Some could be hunters even.
Good point.

In many areas deer season will be starting soon which can be an issue with just camping by the side of a dirt road somewhere. Even without the music issues when it is hunting season I try to stay in more developed areas.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

- Small JBL speaker + downloaded music on your iPhone + a small battery pack

- when camping, you aren’t obligated to take a vow of silence for weeks on end

- no one in the woods is trying to kill you and you don’t need to skulk around like some Hobbit on a Quest to stay safe. If you think you do, just don’t go camping
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I'd just get a small bluetooth speaker that can be charged with a car charger.

But as others have said, be respectful if you have neighbors while camping, a lot of whom are there to get away from it all and enjoy some quiet time. It's crazy but everything seems louder out in the woods.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Get a bluetooth speaker. Costco ahas ones that double as a battery for your phone.

That all being said, I would be so mad if I was camping near you and heard your music...
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

My suggestion is to get speakers that can handle a few psi of water pressure as well. What, no fireworks??? Actually had that occur in Grand Teton NP campground at 2am.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

dixdak wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 am
Not likely to be crowded, doubly so this time of year.
Nonsense. Last week in Idaho the campgrounds were packed. Anyone within a km of your party will be angry and highly resentful of your intrusion. Some could be hunters even. You will be confronted. I saw it happen after some clown with CO plates was playing some techno music in a national monument campground. Fortunately all were reasonable people. Fair warning on this. Enjoy nature!
key word, campgrounds. Go back and read the post.
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

Key word- respectful. Look it up then practice it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Get a power brick to charge your phone. Anker, Nitecore, and many others make them. Wear bluetooth earbuds and you will not disturb the animals while having full enjoyment of your music. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4YEG45wQGM

I can backpack for days away from any AC power outlet while recharging my electronics from a power brick. So can everybody. If your car is right there, then are many other possibilities.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:55 pm wow! thanks but no thanks.

Shaking my head, not sure how people can presume to know how others enjoy their art and in what surroundings.
We did a group camp at a beach a few years back. Brother of one of the friends brought a wood-fired pizza oven on a trailer. Cooked us all the pizza we wanted all night. That was art ;)

Phone batteries last quite a while playing music/podcasts. Even longer if you turn on airplane mode when service is poor/none. For a single trip, I'd recommend making do with the phone and not bothering will extra speakers/etc unless you'll use them again. You can recharge the phone in the car if needed.
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Small JBL speaker + downloaded music on your iPhone + a small battery pack

- when camping, you aren’t obligated to take a vow of silence for weeks on end

- no one in the woods is trying to kill you and you don’t need to skulk around like some Hobbit on a Quest to stay safe. If you think you do, just don’t go camping

Thank you. This is a spot on helpful, applicable response. Wow, had to weed through quite a bit to get a direct one.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I use a small blue tooth speaker. I charge everything with my solar powered charger https://www.amazon.com/BigBlue-Foldable ... ltren0b-20
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Bring an acoustic instrument
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:18 pm We'll soon be taking a camping trip in a state forested area where camping is allowed...there are no designated camp sites or services.
Forgot to address this - PACK OUT YOUR "STUFF"
Including #2s and TP. Please. Please. Please.

You can purchase toilet seats that fit on 5gal buckets, combined with kitty litter and/or RV toilet deodorizing tabs, and an extra thick trash bag. Or spend the extra money on bags designed for this (overpriced IMO) Much nice to use and much nicer than leaving any waste/trash in the forest. Cat holes are no longer the preferred method. Too many people. The bucket is also much more comfortable.

Fires are not trash incinerators. Please abide by all fire restrictions also. Obtain a fire/stove permit (in CA its been 100% online for a while) and don't violate any no fires policy. That's how our forests burn down.

Leave no trace.
Please.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:18 pm We'll soon be taking a camping trip in a state forested area where camping is allowed...there are no designated camp sites or services.

We'd like to listen to music while there and not necessarily from our phones only...not crazy about running down the phone battery nor relying on the phone speakers for sound quality.

Should we get an old fashioned portable radio? maybe connect our phones to external speakers and attach to battery packs?

Suggestions? Thanks
We camp a lot. We purposely avoid listen to music or watching TV.

Instead, we enjoy listening to what nature provides.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:59 pm Bluetooth speaker will take care of your needs. I use one on my boat and the sound quality is great.
You will likely need some portable battery packs / charger to keep your electronics charged.
Agreed. We've been using an Oontz Angle 3 for years and love it. The sound quality is very good and only cost $40. It will probably go at least 12 hours on a single charge and could be easily recharged from a battery pack, which the OP should be taking anyway to recharge phones and such.
The Sensible Steward
emoore

Post by emoore »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:23 am
StevieG72 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:59 pm Bluetooth speaker will take care of your needs. I use one on my boat and the sound quality is great.
Agreed. We've been using an Oontz Angle 3 for years and love it. The sound quality is very good and only cost $40. It will probably go at least 12 hours on a single charge and could be easily recharged from a battery pack, which the OP should be taking anyway to recharge phones and such.
We have had ours Oontz for 4 years now. Kids use it mostly. We bought a UE Boom since it's waterproof. More expensive but much better sound and very durable. Dropped it in the lake a few times and works fine.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

emoore wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:53 am
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:23 am
We have had ours Oontz for 4 years now. Kids use it mostly. We bought a UE Boom since it's waterproof. More expensive but much better sound and very durable. Dropped it in the lake a few times and works fine.
I have a UE Boom that has been great for ~3yrs, but at a lower pricepoint this is really good https://treblab.com/products/treblab-fx100 and super durable. I've seen it for as low as $40. Treblab makes really good "budget" BT speakers and headphones, and they can be found really really cheap if you shop around.

I'm definitely not that guy who brings a BT speaker hiking or camping, but I am known in my adventuring group as the guy who puts his headphones in on the descent and just goes.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

Really surprised to see some of the responses here. Apparently one isn’t allowed to listen to music while camping? News to me! I love listening to country music while cooking on a portable stove at my campsite. Sue me, I guess. I keep the volume low by using a small portable Bluetooth speaker connected to my phone which has offline stations on Pandora (roughly 300 songs or so if I’m not mistaken?). Not sure I have ever been asked to turn it off or down because the neighbors are “camping in the nature and are trying to listen to the sounds of running creeks”. I don’t think the OP said anything about bringing a DJ set up with massive tower speakers?
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Get a bluetooth speaker...

There are so many out there now... I've had this one for YEARs and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQO56Z8/
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

playtothebeat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:33 am Really surprised to see some of the responses here. Apparently one isn’t allowed to listen to music while camping? News to me! I love listening to country music while cooking on a portable stove at my campsite. Sue me, I guess. I keep the volume low by using a small portable Bluetooth speaker connected to my phone which has offline stations on Pandora (roughly 300 songs or so if I’m not mistaken?). Not sure I have ever been asked to turn it off or down because the neighbors are “camping in the nature and are trying to listen to the sounds of running creeks”. I don’t think the OP said anything about bringing a DJ set up with massive tower speakers?
If others are not forced to listen - Fine.
emoore

Post by emoore »

playtothebeat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:33 am Really surprised to see some of the responses here. Apparently one isn’t allowed to listen to music while camping? News to me! I love listening to country music while cooking on a portable stove at my campsite. Sue me, I guess. I keep the volume low by using a small portable Bluetooth speaker connected to my phone which has offline stations on Pandora (roughly 300 songs or so if I’m not mistaken?). Not sure I have ever been asked to turn it off or down because the neighbors are “camping in the nature and are trying to listen to the sounds of running creeks”. I don’t think the OP said anything about bringing a DJ set up with massive tower speakers?
Exactly. I've always had a speaker playing music at a low volume. It's not like a surround sound system. And there are always people talking around the fire that would be louder than the sound of nature. Maybe I just haven't been camping out in the middle of nowhere but with a lot of people around. Most of my camping is either near campgrounds so there is already a lot of noise or nobody around so there is no one to disturb playing music.
squirm

Post by squirm »

The problem today vs say 20 years ago is the music systems today have much more bass and volume in a smaller system. A friend came over with some jbl thing that has a very punchy bass, which tends to propagate everywhere. Mix that with some booze and next thing you know the camping neighbors are getting po'd. But maybe not as annoying as the guy next to you running his generator all night.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

What I see here is the in-person equivalent of people who talk just to hear themselves talk.

If you take the time out (and what a waste of time!) to write a response that is not helpful in any way or nor does it respond directly to the question - isn't there a better use of your one precious life?

OP, I have used the JBL portable speakers and Anker portable chargers with great success with my iPhone for nice juicy sound - usually lower volume in my tent when I want to listen to classical music as I go to sleep. Higher volume of course when I am in a desolate area.

If I were the OP, I'd thank the helpful respondents and tell the rest to get off my lawn ...that's how many here sound, lol - cranky, aged and judgemental.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

And you know, many folks here did state (in so many words): "Get off my lawn!" :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

Yes, thats what the real problem is- people who want to escape the electronic noise by going into the woods.