Grocery store didn't tell me Shingrix was $160

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Grocery store didn't tell me Shingrix was $160

Post by LadyIJ »

Just wanted opinions:
My hubby needed his second Shingrix shot. His first was at the VA and free. We went to our local grocery store/pharmacy and they administered the shot (they had a special day where you could get it in your car). We made the appointment a couple of weeks in advance. We filled out the paper work online. So after his shot, they call us at about 9 p.m. and say he owes $160.

Now I'm not saying we WON'T pay it, but that's quite a rub - I think they should have told us in the two weeks or even that day, not afterwards. Normally I wouldn't think twice, but we've been getting hit hard by every house repair that you can think of since COVID, and I would have waited until we had to go back to the VA.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for indulging me.
NotWhoYouThink

Re: Grocery store didn't tell me Shingrix was $160

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Does the grocery store have your insurance information? Your insurance might cover it
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Seems like a reasonable price.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Was there no mention of cost in the web site nor in the paperwork you filled out? I had to pay about that amount, but knew up front that Medicare would not cover it, nor my drug coverage. If it wasn;t mentioned, you should argue that.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

RudyS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:25 pm Was there no mention of cost in the web site nor in the paperwork you filled out? I had to pay about that amount, but knew up front that Medicare would not cover it, nor my drug coverage. If it wasn;t mentioned, you should argue that.
I am arguing that they should have told me - as I stated above, if they had told us, we would have gone to the VA for free. I don't know if they didn't tell me if we are liable, but might feel kind of like a schmuck if we don't pay up. Maybe they'll negotiate.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Did you ask?
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

It would surprise me a little bit that they didn't mention it, especially because when I've been to the grocery store/pharmacy before to get a flu shot, they tell you how much it will cost. Also, depending on the grocery store/pharmacy, there tend to be signs posted, get your (type of) shot here for $(price).

I don't know what kind of insurance your family has, but do look into the online forms through the insurance company where oftentimes you can get reimbursed for certain vaccines.

I don't think they will negotiate the price, but can't hurt to ask--but first look into reimbursement from the insurance company for the Shingrix.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

LadyIJ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm
RudyS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:25 pm Was there no mention of cost in the web site nor in the paperwork you filled out? I had to pay about that amount, but knew up front that Medicare would not cover it, nor my drug coverage. If it wasn;t mentioned, you should argue that.
I am arguing that they should have told me - as I stated above, if they had told us, we would have gone to the VA for free. I don't know if they didn't tell me if we are liable, but might feel kind of like a schmuck if we don't pay up. Maybe they'll negotiate.
If you go into a store take something you are liable to pay the price the store charges irregardless of whether or not someone else sells it cheaper down the street. Are you mad it was $160 or are you mad it wasn't free?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Gill

Post by Gill »

$160 after insurance is about the going rate. I paid that for both shots.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I am confused because you do not indicate that they gave you incorrect information. Did you expect it to be a certain amount? Did you consider checking with your insurance company to find out how much it was going to be? I am sure they did not advertise “free”. I know healthcare can have surprises in this country. But I am confused by your post.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Gill wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:44 pm $160 after insurance is about the going rate. I paid that for both shots.
Gill
My insurance covered my shingrix shots in full-- no copay, as did my wife's insurance.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I agree they should have told you but I also think you should have asked. It's kind of like complaining about the cost of the wine as you polish off the bottle.
sport

Post by sport »

RudyS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:25 pm I had to pay about that amount, but knew up front that Medicare would not cover it, nor my drug coverage.
My Medicare Advantage plan paid the full cost. The grocery pharmacy even gave me a $5 coupon to use in the store.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

That’s about the going rate. You definitely should have given them insurance info and found out your out of pocket cost up front.

That said, what insurance does your husband have? Some insurance covers it, some doesn’t. You might be able to submit it to his insurance and get reimbursed. I believe all ACA plans cover vaccines. It definitely covered this one 100% for me. My wife’s Medicare Advantage plan covered all but about $40. My brother’s employer plan covered zilch. He found that Costco had the best price for out of pocket.
Lou354

Post by Lou354 »

Was it submitted under your prescription plan or under the health insurance plan? When I got my Shingrix shot there was zero out of pocket or a high out of pocket, depending.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

You deliberately agreed to any price charged by consciously soliciting and accepting a product and service while choosing not to inquire into cost in advance.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

How much did they say it would cost? Did you provide insurance info?
Is the $160 AFTER the insurance or is that the TOTAL?

I just paid $350 for a COVID-19 test ($250 charge by med center; $100 charge by lab; took 2 minutes for nurse in parking lot to swab me). I paid a $40 insurance co-pay. I only bring this up because $160 - if that is the total - sounds cheap to me.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celia

Post by celia »

We're on Medicare. DH had already met his yearly deductible and had already spent a lot on meds, so his cost was much lower than that, but mine was full price ($300?) because I had not yet met the $400 deductible. I would rather pay $thousands for it than to have to live with shingles, so it was a good deal for me.

Look at this as his total shots cost $160. Sometimes we get a good deal and sometimes we don't. I assume the pharmacy overlooked telling you the cost since you went on a very busy day. And don't forget to ask the pharmacy to have them send a notice to the VA that he received the second shot or you may forget about it and the VA might then give him a third shot.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

In your situation I would be annoyed at not have being warned.

I got both shots, my insurance did not cover them, but I was certainly informed of the cost, and without asking. In fact I think I was told about it when I called to make the appointment (it was in 2019 when there were shortages). And, yes, at that price I did think about whether or not to get it, particularly since had gotten Zostravax (the older shingles vaccine) about ten years ago.

I don't have the numbers at hand but I believe the first Shingrix shot was about $130-$140, and, oddly, the second was cheaper, maybe $100--but anyway, $160 is not a crazy price.

I didn't pay anything for my flu shot at CVS the other day, but I did notice that they billed Medicare $69.99... but Medicare only paid $68.59. Seems like a lot, but what do I know?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Traditional Medicare (Parts A & B) doesn't cover the shot. Depending on the plan, your Part D or Medicare Advantage plan may cover all or a portion of the shot. You would have to call them to find out what they will pay, and if they have a preferred pharmacy chain required to get the subsidized service. If you don't have a part D plan or Medicare Advantage, you can go online to GoodRx, and they may have a coupon. If you know the VA will be free, that may be the best option, if you don't mind waiting.
Last edited by Artful Dodger on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:14 pm In your situation I would be annoyed at not have being warned.

I got both shots, my insurance did not cover them, but I was certainly informed of the cost, and without asking. In fact I think I was told about it when I called to make the appointment (it was in 2019 when there were shortages). And, yes, at that price I did think about whether or not to get it, particularly since had gotten Zostravax (the older shingles vaccine) about ten years ago.

I don't have the numbers at hand but I believe the first Shingrix shot was about $130-$140, and, oddly, the second was cheaper, maybe $100--but anyway, $160 is not a crazy price.

I didn't pay anything for my flu shot at CVS the other day, but I did notice that they billed Medicare $69.99... but Medicare only paid $68.59. Seems like a lot, but what do I know?
Thank you for your kind answer - a lot of people like to pile on, on this site. They really should have told me. My husband also had his older shingles vaccine and the first Shingrix (free at the VA) so we may not have gone in.
interwebopinion

Post by interwebopinion »

Sadly that's how healthcare billing works in this country. I found out the hard way after Sutter Health, that famous lawsuit magnet here in the Bay Area, billed me $1000 for a weekend visit for a cold. The medical group itself was great before the SH takeover, and I was charged $250 for a similar doctor visit prior. I was on a HDHP, so it was coming out of my pocket. I appealed to both Sutter (they probably laughed over it at billing) and to my insurance company, to no avail.

So we switched to Stanford Healthcare, who don't seem to celebrate avarice, and are now very careful to ask for procedure costs beforehand and where possible (e.g. labs) shop around. For the same insurance, the prices often vary by an order of magnitude.
LadyIJ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm
interwebopinion

Post by interwebopinion »

What concrete proof do you have of such an agreement? No one agrees to being charged 'any price'. That sounds like a price gouging manifesto.
GmanJeff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:10 pm You deliberately agreed to any price charged by consciously soliciting and accepting a product and service while choosing not to inquire into cost in advance.
egrets

Post by egrets »

Medicare.gov says Plan Ds cover Shingrix.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

LadyIJ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:19 pm
nisiprius wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:14 pm In your situation I would be annoyed at not have being warned.

Thank you for your kind answer - a lot of people like to pile on, on this site. They really should have told me. My husband also had his older shingles vaccine and the first Shingrix (free at the VA) so we may not have gone in.
It won't cause any harm to call them and say you didn't realize it would be so high - they may be able to give you a discount and reduce the bill.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Grocery store business model is typically a transactional business model in which customer comes in and identifies an item(s) desired the paid for the product. The service is usually again transactional for monitory exchange.

Did they “send” you a bill or did they ask you to pay once the injection was completed? If they sent you a bill I understand your frustration but also understand there business model is typically not set up ideally, efficiently or even for accurate receipt of your health information much less insurance info.

Sounds like a routine transaction for where you went and thus expectation should be routine for payment.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

They should have told you. I got both my shots at a grocery store, and was told each would be $160. So I paid for both.

Later I learned that my insurance does cover it, but nit through that grocery chain. If I’d gone elsewhere, I would have saved money.

For me, the pain of paying was nothing compared to the after effects of the shots.

Anyhow, yes, for $160, that should have been discussed with you when you still had a chance to decline.
mickroark

Post by mickroark »

Yes my Shingrix shot was $160.00 ea dose (two doses). My cost was $47.00ea and my insurance paid the rest. This was at King Soopers Grocery store.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Flu shots at the grocery store are $35 to $65.

They are free at the Dr's office.

We'll wait a week and get them for free.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

While I certainly understand your frustration, its a consumers responsibility to understand your own insurance plan design, who is in your network (provider and Rx), and the member cost shares.
Last edited by Picasso on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out »

goodRX shows an average price of $155
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

The store may not have any way to know precisely what YOUR shot would cost.
Wouldn't that depend upon whether it is covered at all or not, or whether you have met your deductible, or whether you have already hit your OOP (Out Of Pocket) maximum?

This isn't necessarily different from asking what some test/service would cost at the doctor's office, and alas, we hear here all the time how hard that is to learn reliably in advance.

But you should have at least tried to find out from your insurer. You may have gotten a useful answer, e.g., "that is never covered" or "we'll pay up to $X".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I paid $175 for the first shot and $165 for the second shot in early 2019. At the time there were shortages and waiting lists.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

This is part of the whole medical/insurance thing here in the US.

I'm not sure of the current situation but at one point if you were under 60 (which I am), the shot was costly, and depending on the state (?) you even didn't a prescription (definitely true at one time because I had one). In my case based on several doctors' recommendations I was going to foot the bill even if it was high (I had heard more like $600).

In MD I couldn't find anyone with it in stock. When I moved to AZ I happened to see one CVS with it in stock and got the first shot and time things well for the second shot. I ended up paying nothing. Not sure why (I'm still under 60). My current insurance seems weaker than my previous BCBS but I never know what I need to pay in many cases. For a coronavirus test (blood) my doctor did quote a price because it wasn't covered. That is a rare experience for me.

I guess you need to ask but at times when I've done that with some stuff, I don't always get a straight answer.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

We are in our mid-80s and both have received the two-shot vaccine at our local grocery store pharmacy. We are both on the original Medicare plan and I am a military retiree and have Tricare for Life supplemental coverage covering myself and wife. Neither of us paid anything for either shot about a year and a half ago. Don't understand why some have to pay and some don't.

As an additional remark, each of us received the original Shingles shot years ago and two days after we got it Medicare started covering it. $225 each at that time.
Tom D.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

LadyIJ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm I am arguing that they should have told me - as I stated above, if they had told us, we would have gone to the VA for free.
I've had an HMO for 4+ decades. I've never had anyone tell me the cost of any medical procedure (hospital visit, checkups, shots, etc) before the service.

If the VA is free, why would you go anywhere else?
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

MathWizard wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:46 pm Flu shots at the grocery store are $35 to $65.

They are free at the Dr's office.

We'll wait a week and get them for free.
Last couple of years Publix has paid us ($10 each) to get our flu shots.

Back on task:

Looking at GoodRX, the coupons available are for $155 a dose, so these shingles shots aren't cheap. DW is at Publix at the moment, and she is going to check on the cost with our Humana PPO coverage.

Frankly, after seeing MIL's shingles outbreak when she was living with us, I would have to see an enormous price per shot before I would decline them. And $155 isn't even in the "I'll think about it" realm of possibility.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

interwebopinion wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:29 pm What concrete proof do you have of such an agreement? No one agrees to being charged 'any price'. That sounds like a price gouging manifesto.
GmanJeff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:10 pm You deliberately agreed to any price charged by consciously soliciting and accepting a product and service while choosing not to inquire into cost in advance.
correct - I never agreed, was not told - and protocol is they should tell you upfront. I have a call in to the manager to discuss.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

LadyIJ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm Just wanted opinions:
My hubby needed his second Shingrix shot. His first was at the VA and free. We went to our local grocery store/pharmacy and they administered the shot (they had a special day where you could get it in your car). We made the appointment a couple of weeks in advance. We filled out the paper work online. So after his shot, they call us at about 9 p.m. and say he owes $160.

Now I'm not saying we WON'T pay it, but that's quite a rub - I think they should have told us in the two weeks or even that day, not afterwards. Normally I wouldn't think twice, but we've been getting hit hard by every house repair that you can think of since COVID, and I would have waited until we had to go back to the VA.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for indulging me.
I think you should have just asked how much it was going to be
Last edited by Ramjet on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Munir

Post by Munir »

I think the OP is objecting to the fact that she was not warned in advance it would cost $160. If she had been, the family would have gone to the VA. Since many vaccinations are covered by insurance, it is reasonable to assume the price would be zero or negligible. It's not like going to a store and buying a TV then complaining about the price after walking out with it. In her case, this is a very fair criticism of the store which should have posted the price prominently.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

For what it's worth, that price itself is normal. But I can understand your frustration at not being informed in advance that it wasn't covered by insurance. It's common practice for stores to check insurance coverage (including exact vaccine coverage) before administering vaccines and to advise on price for vaccines not covered. I've observed this being done at Walgreens, Kroger and Meijer where I live - they actually submit charges to insurer immediately before giving the vaccine. They are in the business and should know this.

While you can call your insurer, or the store can check first, there is never a guarantee (my personal experience) that you will get the correct answer anyway by phone. I've certainly got incorrect answers before as to vaccine coverage and this IS a common problem, especially with certain vaccines. So, had they (your store) submitted the charge immediately before administration, they could have informed you on exact coverage and price. It appears they didn't, based on the follow-up phone call you got.

Price-wise, outside of the insurance coverage aspect, yes I buy the $160. Wife got Shingrix in July - full retail price was $205, insurer discounted price $168 (not Medicare). Then, our insurer covered that $168 at 100%. Me, in 2018, charges were nearly the same too.

If your insurer covers this, the store can always go back and submit this. Another possibility is that your insurer does cover it, and the store submitted the claim incorrectly (I've had that happen too, once or twice). At this point, I'd start with a call to your insurer. Next, talk with the store. Best of luck!
Last edited by DetroitRick on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Surprised that payment was not required at the time of service if it was clear that it wasn’t covered by insurance. If OP provided insurance info and the insurance didn’t pay, then OP is on the hook for payment and likely signed a form to that effect.

The only way that the store has any liability is if the OP did not provide insurance and the store did not require payment up front.
Munir

Post by Munir »

FelixTheCat wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:59 pm
LadyIJ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm I am arguing that they should have told me - as I stated above, if they had told us, we would have gone to the VA for free.
I've had an HMO for 4+ decades. I've never had anyone tell me the cost of any medical procedure (hospital visit, checkups, shots, etc) before the service.

If the VA is free, why would you go anywhere else?
if there is a significant out of pocket expense for a patient, medical providers usually advise the patient prior to providing the service. Most HMOs have no out of pocket expense or a minor copay for an office visit.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Here's my guess...

Back office (billing) isn't communicating well with the nurses and somewhere along the way that connection hasn't been made. They are trying to be safe and do YOU a favor by giving the injection in the parking lot, but the new paperwork trail isn't functioning well yet.

As a business owner, I can tell you that we've had to recreate many systems and there's been a great deal of trial and error. I find the best policy is that if we GIVE grace, we are more likely to receive grace when we screw up.

Having had shingles in my eye about 10 years ago, $160 is a deal. I still have no eyelashes on parts of that eye and I have pock marks on my nose, eyebrow, and eyelid. The pain was terrible. I am very very lucky it didn't damage my cornea.

Unless $160 means you will not eat this week, why the heck would you bother a manager who is trying their best to run a business during a pandemic? There are FAR FAR more things in this world to be concerned about.

SMH
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I'll be paying $20 to get the first shot tomorrow at Publix.

So far as OP's issue:
1. The price of $160 doesn't seem to be a rip-off price at all (which OP is NOT suggesting), so that was good.
2. I subscribe to the notion that I am the only one responsible for looking out for WHERE my dollars and HOW MANY of them choose to leave me. No one looks out for me better than me.

But, that's just me.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:54 pm I paid $175 for the first shot and $165 for the second shot in early 2019. At the time there were shortages and waiting lists.
Exactly! That is why I ended up at the grocery store, and not at my Dr. office.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I'm really surprised they didn't make you pay at the time of the shot. I mean they don't let you out the door with your prescription without paying and I don't see why this would be any different. But I would have asked also.....
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:33 pm I'll be paying $20 to get the first shot tomorrow at Publix.

So far as OP's issue:
1. The price of $160 doesn't seem to be a rip-off price at all (which OP is NOT suggesting), so that was good.
2. I subscribe to the notion that I am the only one responsible for looking out for WHERE my dollars and HOW MANY of them choose to leave me. No one looks out for me better than me.

But, that's just me.

Broken Man 1999
I see what you are saying. But this is not the OPs fault, it is the system.

Suppose your grocery store called you up at night, and said there was now a special $500 fee for the cake frosting you bought earlier that day? Would we all be okay with “well, you should have asked if there were any special cake frosting fees?”

Of course not, that is preposterous. Every other item in that store is required by law to display the price. There is a reason the prices need to be shown. It’s complete crap that the pharmacy couldn’t figure this out and tell the OP at the point of service. (My grocery store did).

If I was the OP, I wouldn’t pay it. Wait a few months and see what happens.
chw

Post by chw »

That price is about right (even a bit low) for where in live in MA. Many insurers don't cover this shot, so unfortunately you should have asked the price of the shot before getting it if cost was an issue.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I can't count the number of threads I see with people complaining about something because "I didn't know" or "They didn't tell me." What ever happened to the concept of personal responsibility?

Now I step off soapbox.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.