"US SM BUS ADMIN ODA" Hard Inquiry on Credit Report

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
obafgkm

"US SM BUS ADMIN ODA" Hard Inquiry on Credit Report

Post by obafgkm »

I checked my Experian credit report on September 15, 2020, and saw a notice of a "Hard Inquiry" by "US SM BUS ADMIN ODA" in late August 2020. The boilerplate information provided says
Hard inquiries are requests for your consumer information based on an action or process initiated by you generally related to a credit or other monetary obligation, such as when you apply for credit...
I have not initiated anything with this entity (presumably the US Small Business Administration). I will submit a dispute with Experian. I did not see anything similar with TransUnion or Equifax, nor did I see anything otherwise amiss on the Experian credit report.

Is there anything else I should do (or is this innocuous)? Somehow I think it is not...
galawdawg

Re: "US SM BUS ADMIN ODA" Hard Inquiry on Credit Report

Post by galawdawg »

If you haven't already, you should freeze your credit with all three major credit bureaus. That is something everyone should do to prevent being the victim of fraud.

There are multiple reports online about fraud involving applications for SBA loans and COVID disaster relief and resulting hard credit pulls over the past sixty (60) days.

If you did not apply for COVID relief or any other SBA loan or program, I'd recommend you contact the SBA and report the fraud, as well as disputing the hard inquiry.
Last edited by galawdawg on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Per annualcreditreport.com,

"During these times of COVID-19, accessing your credit is important. That's why Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion are now offering free weekly online reports through April 2021."

But, good luck getting your Equifax report....
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Just tried all three. Equifax denies me as usual, but now TransUnion denies me. At least Experian still works (for now).
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
MP123

Post by MP123 »

As mentioned above it's probably related to an application for an EIDL (economic injury disaster loan) from the SBA. If you didn't initiate this loan you should call them and see what's going on, it may be a fraud attempt.
Topic Author
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 am If you did not apply for COVID relief or any other SBA loan or program, I'd recommend you contact the SBA and report the fraud, as well as disputing the hard inquiry.
Thank you, galawdawg. I submitted an online complaint/notice to the SBA -- my local office just had a recording. I also prepared a dispute with Experian and will mail it.

I also set up credit freezes with Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Aargh.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

It is fraud, I am knee deep in this mess. Same thing happened to me.

It will hit Experian, not the other reporting agencies.

I have done the following:
-Called SBA 6 times. I was able to determine the person's email address, bank they requested funds to and amount. I reported it as fraud all 6-times. Verified they had my SSN, name, DOB and address.
-Froze my credit with all three agencies
-Filed a local police report
-Placed credit fraud alert with all credit agencies
-Filed a complaint with CFPB - they closed it, they don't deal with government agencies
-Disputed with Experian -they removed immediately
-Filed a complaint with SBA OIG
-Engaged CyberScout (free work benefit - this was worthless, I had already done everything they suggested)

I kept demanding that I receive documentation that the loan was stopped, they have not done so. My last contact was 8/8 with SBA. I have given up and just hope it is dead.

This Reddit thread is also helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinanc ... =post_body
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Same SBA inquiry just showed up on my credit report in August :shock: