Quicken Disaster!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bertilak

Quicken Disaster!

Post by bertilak »

Yesterday Quicken failed me. I lost DECADES of data. For example I can not go back to 19XX to see what I paid for an extension to my house. I can't even see what "XX" is or who I paid it to!

When I open Quicken now all I get is a blank screen with a busy mouse cursor. Task manager shows Quicken is "not responding" and is using 23-25% of CPU. Restored backups fail the same way.

I was on the phone with Quicken support for a little over three hours!

We tried MANY things including
  • Logged on to Windows as a different user and installed Quicken under that ID. The problem persisted.
  • Restored backups from weeks and months ago. All failed the same way.
The ONLY thing that changed was Quicken went to R28.28. This did not seem to be an important clue to the support people.

The support personnel were particular clueless. They tried to pin it on my use of OneDrive even though the Quicken files were not in the OneDrive folder. I use CrashPlan for backup and they tried to pin it on that even though I was using the active Quicken File and not a restored backup. I disabled backups and virus checking just to make him happy. The first level support took me through many silly processes, like using my phone's "mobile hotspot" instead of my normal internet connection. He had me mess with the Windows Firewall and disable various other things in Windows networking -- all of which were obviously unrelated to the problem. He even TOLD ME Quicken would run fine with NO internet connection at all, except for the initial setup after an install.

I eventually got a call-back from a "supervisor." The supervisor summarized my situation as a problem with backups or OneDrive probably corrupting my data file! This is what he was told by the support people! No wonder they had no idea how to deal with it. Quicken support refused to supply me with a version of Quicken before the previous day's update to R28.28. He said it was not possible to do that once the latest level was released. (Baloney!)

In the end I was told to submit a problem report using the "Report a Problem" mechanism within the Quicken program.

If there is no further action from Quicken (like another update that fixes this) Now will be the time for me to find a replacement. The main reason I have not done so already was not wanting to lose my historical data. Well, Quicken lost it for me already.
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
fabdog

Re: Quicken Disaster!

Post by fabdog »

It's obviously of no help to you, but my quicken is also upgraded to Rev 28.28, and is still working fine.

If you still have any of your old quicken desktop disks (Quicken 2017 or earlier) you could try installing that with one of your backup databases to see if you can recover your data?

Mike
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

CrashPlan has versioning. Have you restored a file from previous days or week?
ETA: also on 28.28, no (obvious) problems.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I would install a fresh copy of quicken and check to see if a backup works. Then slowly install all the updates up to the last one that possibly caused all this.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am I would install a fresh copy of quicken and check to see if a backup works. Then slowly install all the updates up to the last one that possibly caused all this.
I would stick with the Quicken version currently installed. Go back a week or so (i.e., the last known time it worked) on CrashPlan and restore the data as of that time. Then do Quicken update of transactions and quotes. My guess is that it might all work, including providing the historical data.

Good luck OP.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

We tried MANY things including

Logged on to Windows as a different user and installed Quicken under that ID. The problem persisted.
Restored backups from weeks and months ago. All failed the same way.
appears they went down that path in the troubleshooting.

Mike
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Sorry this happened to you...

I'm no help to try to fix it and but since you're obviously now thinking of moving away from Quicken, I can share my experience of moving away from Quicken as a point of reference.

5 years ago I had well over a decade of data in Quicken and used it for everything. Not plural like you, but still was a significant amount. I was getting frustrated with Quicken so tried YNAB. Then quickly got super frustrated with them. I ended up taking some time and figuring out what precisely I needed to track. What was valuable vs. what was fluff I didn't need. I then took some time to develop custom Excel spreadsheets that allow me to track that which is most important to me that I believe provides value. I have a Budget spreadsheet where I have a tab I use as my register, then a Budget tab that looks up within the register. I created a Portfolio spreadsheet to track my portfolio value on certain dates and track my allocation. I don't track individual security purchases as I figured each provider has that and having it in Excel or Quicken wasn't really giving me anything extra. Then I'll even have a Summary spreadsheet where I'll track Net Worth by quarter since I figured anything more frequent than that wasn't really necessary for me.

I'm so much happier now having control over how I'm tracking my finances vs. being held up by what is/is not available in the financial software.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

To the OP: I used Quicken for probably 20 years but stopped a couple of years ago. I never really liked it.

That aside, I've found over the years that support people (for any software) generally only have canned "fixes" to problems and don't really have any depth of computer knowledge so they can actually diagnose and fix problems. I had two serious problems like this with Microsoft and Dell.

I bought a new Dell desktop almost two years ago and was getting the BSOD. Dell had all kinds of suggestions, none of which worked. I asked my nerd buddy, and after a 5 minute phone conversation we found the problem. With Microsoft Money they had me re-enter ALL my data, which I found out some time later wasn't necessary.

My nerd buddy is exceptionally brilliant, but I would say any random one would be more knowledgeable than any company "support" tech.

FWIW: On your situation, as I read it, the idea that the program and the backups all went poof at the same time sounds preposterous. I'm not a nerd, but it sounds like the program (or something within Windows) has become corrupted.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Backups.

Maybe I didn't make that clear in my OP. I did a multitude of restores from various dates going back over a year. I also use Acronis True Image for backup and did some restores from there and restored backups made by Quicken itself. ALL gave the same results.

P.S. I am using both Crashplan and Acronis because I am evaluating Acronis to see if I want to replace Crashplan. Have not been able to make up my mind!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
stan1

Post by stan1 »

You'd have to decide whether this is worth the effort to you but there is the clean reinstall of WIndows option. I've found some difficult to troubleshoot issues between Quicken and Windows in the past.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

stan1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 am You'd have to decide whether this is worth the effort to you but there is the clean reinstall of WIndows option. I've found some difficult to troubleshoot issues between Quicken and Windows in the past.
I just don't think the evidence leaves much room for that kind of failure. Note that if I reinstall Quicken under same or new user it runs fine until I try to open my data file or one of it's many backups using either the original or new user.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

I’m guessing you’ve tried Validation/super-validation

https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... r-validate
theta

Post by theta »

I would try to use another PC. Perhaps a friend, spouse,or work PC.

If you can get it to successfully open on a different PC, you have definitively pinpointed the problem to something in your PC.

If it does not open on a different PC, you have eliminated your PC as a potential cause.

In that case, there may be something about your data file that is triggering a bug in the latest release.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:16 am
stan1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 am You'd have to decide whether this is worth the effort to you but there is the clean reinstall of WIndows option. I've found some difficult to troubleshoot issues between Quicken and Windows in the past.
I just don't think the evidence leaves much room for that kind of failure. Note that if I reinstall Quicken under same or new user it runs fine until I try to open my data file or one of it's many backups using either the original or new user.
I would not assume that Quicken is a well behaved modern software application that plays well with Windows. You could be describing a visualization/rendering error rather than a database error. Installing Quicken on another computer would give you similar result as re-installing Windows on current computer.

Also, did you try super validates of a copy of the data file? I'd do this before reinstalling Windows.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Drew31 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 am 5 years ago I had well over a decade of data in Quicken and used it for everything. Not plural like you, but still was a significant amount. I was getting frustrated with Quicken so tried YNAB. Then quickly got super frustrated with them. I ended up taking some time and figuring out what precisely I needed to track. What was valuable vs. what was fluff I didn't need. I then took some time to develop custom Excel spreadsheets that allow me to track that which is most important to me that I believe provides value.
I also use a spreadsheet to track investments -- calculating AA, etc.. This data can easily be downloaded from Vanguard in a format easy to put into a spreadsheet. I have one page in the spreadsheet to hold the raw data and extract it the various places I need it. I do this for 14 different brokerage accounts, owned by a total of 8 different people. (I'm the family "tracker!") Quicken also downloads these investment accounts.

I also have various other accounts (checking, savings credit cards, lines of credit) that Quicken downloads. I'd hate to work up my own ad hoc methods to get this data. I used to download quotes into an earlier spreadsheet but it was nearly impossible to keep up with the changes in the sources. Some, like Yahoo, actively prevented such downloading. Quicken also keeps track of money transfers -- like buying or selling a mutual fund using a bank account to send/receive the money to/from Vanguard. There are some manual steps in this tracking but once you "edit/correct" a transaction it shows up properly in the Quicken registers -- and stays that way.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

GuyInFL wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 am I’m guessing you’ve tried Validation/super-validation

https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... r-validate
Good guess!
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

theta wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 am In that case, there may be something about your data file that is triggering a bug in the latest release.
I've already reached that conclusion but am still open to accepting the Quicken bug is triggered by an "anomaly" in my data that Quicken is no longer robust enough to live with.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

theta wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 am I would try to use another PC. Perhaps a friend, spouse,or work PC.

If you can get it to successfully open on a different PC, you have definitively pinpointed the problem to something in your PC.

If it does not open on a different PC, you have eliminated your PC as a potential cause.

In that case, there may be something about your data file that is triggering a bug in the latest release.
You might also try QCleanUI to fully I install it.

Assuming the new version works fine, and assuming your backups aren’t faulty, then I’d conclude there may be some type of configuration file or cache remaining someplace after you uninstalled. Perhaps it’s corrupt ...

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-q ... ll-quicken

Post by 000 »

Just wanted to add that as long as you have non-corrupt data files you can open them with another program or a text or hex editor.

A quick web search seems to indicate Microsoft Money and GnuCash can import Quicken data.

Good luck.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I feel your pain as we used Quicken for a decade and had issues including crashes.

Over 12 years ago we were frustrated enough with the program, cost, and time commitment to making sure data was accurate. We stop using the program and have not missed it. Turn attention to streamlining and simplifying even more and that is what made all the difference. Now we really do not have a need and would be duplicating what the Vanguard website and statements (and other financial websites) already provide in real time.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Sorry for the trouble you are facing. This reinforced my biggest fear for Quicken. I never liked the fact that my 20+ yrs of financial data is in a proprietary file format, being held hostage to a company.

Last year, I moved all my data to a spreadsheet. It took a few days but I learned a few tricks along the day. If I need to do it again today, it will take about 2-3 hours to move all 50+ accounts.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

typical.investor wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 am You might also try QCleanUI to fully I install it.
That was part of our process.
theta

Post by theta »

You can supposedly rollback to a previous release:
https://www.quicken.com/support/update- ... on-product
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:51 am I feel your pain as we used Quicken for a decade and had issues including crashes.

Over 12 years ago we were frustrated enough with the program, cost, and time commitment to making sure data was accurate. We stop using the program and have not missed it. Turn attention to streamlining and simplifying even more and that is what made all the difference. Now we really do not have a need and would be duplicating what the Vanguard website and statements (and other financial websites) already provide in real time.
Except for about 30 years history, now reduced to almost nothing. :-(
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am
typical.investor wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 am You might also try QCleanUI to fully I install it.
That was part of our process.
Darn! Was hoping it’d work.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 am
abuss368 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:51 am I feel your pain as we used Quicken for a decade and had issues including crashes.

Except for about 30 years history, now reduced to almost nothing. :-(
I feel the pain. Are there any alternatives to consider rather than Quicken that may help moving forward (granted will not bring back the history). Perhaps you may avoid this in the future.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

theta wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 am I would try to use another PC. Perhaps a friend, spouse,or work PC.

This. I have the latest version and no problems. Maybe something with your PC is interfering.

I feel your pain. I have 26 years of data in Quicken and would hate to lose it.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

theta wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 am You can supposedly rollback to a previous release:
I don't see any option for a rollback on that page. But, I might have missed it! Please point it out if you can.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:16 am
theta wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 am You can supposedly rollback to a previous release:
I don't see any option for a rollback on that page. But, I might have missed it! Please point it out if you can.
I don't use Quicken any more. But can't you install a previous version .exe (eg. Quicken 2016) and open the back up file?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Another thing I would do before totally throwing in the towel is wait for the next release. They seem to come every few weeks. Maybe that will fix it.

I've repeatedly said/worried about all these releases. There has been like 20 this year. That doesn't bode well for a mature product IMO. I keep finding bugs even after a gazillion updates. When I report them, they want me to do the debugging for them! Not my job to reproduce an error on a new data file! I just know it is happening on mine.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

acegolfer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 am
bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:16 am
I don't use Quicken any more. But can't you install a previous version .exe (eg. Quicken 2016) and open the back up file?
Perhaps if I had a 2016 version ...
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:20 am Another thing I would do before totally throwing in the towel is wait for the next release. They seem to come every few weeks. Maybe that will fix it.
Oh yes, I am eagerly awaiting the next release to see if it does the job. Maybe even the release after that.
prudent

Post by prudent »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:20 am I've repeatedly said/worried about all these releases. There has been like 20 this year. That doesn't bode well for a mature product IMO. I keep finding bugs even after a gazillion updates.
The current mindset in software development is to update all the time. Conceptually, if you have bugs fixed and/or new features ready to go, don't hold them back for a blockbuster update 8 months later, just roll things out as they become ready.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

prudent wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:20 am I've repeatedly said/worried about all these releases. There has been like 20 this year. That doesn't bode well for a mature product IMO. I keep finding bugs even after a gazillion updates.
The current mindset in software development is to update all the time. Conceptually, if you have bugs fixed and/or new features ready to go, don't hold them back for a blockbuster update 8 months later, just roll things out as they become ready.
Along with that, there needs to be a process for backing it out. Quicken seems to have ignored this need.

I have been in software design, development, testing for a LONG time and have never been involved in something this bad.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Understood. I worked in software development for years. There is a cost to constant releases. In the corporate world you just don't see key applications being updated all the time and for good reason. Many businesses are many versions behind because they don't want to spend the time and money on the upgrade effort (not only testing the app itself but interactions with other software and systems).

It is odd to have so many bug fixes in 30 year old software. I have to wonder if a release is fixing bugs they introduced in the last release. Quicken is not exactly adding a lot of new features. I wonder if these frequent updates are to make you think you are getting your subscription $$$$ worth.

On my phone, it seems every app has an update every week.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 000 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 am
Understood. I worked in software development for years. There is a cost to constant releases. In the corporate world you just don't see key applications being updated all the time and for good reason. Many businesses are many versions behind because they don't want to spend the time and money on the upgrade effort (not only testing the app itself but interactions with other software and systems).

It is odd to have so many bug fixes in 30 year old software. I have to wonder if a release is fixing bugs they introduced in the last release. Quicken is not exactly adding a lot of new features.

That's because you are the tester :mrgreen:
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 am
Along with that, there needs to be a process for backing it out. Quicken seems to have ignored this need.

I have been in software design, development, testing for a LONG time and have never been involved in something this bad.
Trying quicken on another computer is a great idea.
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

If you log into your Quicken account, there is an option under "Support" to download older versions, but it appears to only be versions that I purchased electronically in the past.

It would be more helpful if they allowed us to download previous patch levels.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

moghopper wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 am If you log into your Quicken account, there is an option under "Support" to download older versions ...
I do not see that option. Can you give me more specific instructions?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Oh my gosh, that is horrible. I would be fuming if I were you.

I've been a quicken user for 20+ years. Believe it or not, Quicken crashed for me yesterday too. It hasn't done this in many, many,many years for me. Luckily, I don't seem to have lost anything.

I wish you good luck in getting back your stuff.

I've mentally decided that I'm going to give up Quicken. I don't like the subscription model, and now that I've used it forever, I think I've gotten as much out of it as I can. I don't think I'll renew next time, and just do without.

But still, as a loyal Quicken user, this should not be happening to you.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 am We tried MANY things including
  • Logged on to Windows as a different user and installed Quicken under that ID. The problem persisted.
  • Restored backups from weeks and months ago. All failed the same way.
Only because I did not see this mentioned in the thread, it is not clear if you have rebooted the computer. I often leave mine on for days, but a reboot sometimes clears up software issues. I would also clean out my internet cache (using something like CCleaner, free version).

Good luck.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

I dumped it years ago as it was just a glorified check register and expense manager. I've tried YNAB and am now on to Simplifi (by quicken). Turbo tax has been online since 2011. Some people balk at these cloud based techs but they are simpler and do about 99% of the work for me.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Buy a used copy on a CD or Amazon online or from eBay and install it. See if that opens the files. I very much doubt it's OneDrive.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I assume you’re using Windows. Have you tried using Windows System Restore to go back a few days?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 pm I assume you’re using Windows. Have you tried using Windows System Restore to go back a few days?
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. I think I'm a bit afraid of it! Still giving Quicken a chance to do something.
theta

Post by theta »

Here’s a link to past Release Mondo patches:
http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-su ... tches.html

I’ve never had to do a Mondo patch, so I can’t really advise how that process works...
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Continuous delivery... which is great if you want or need the new features and bug fixes and the organization has excellent robust quality control.

Sucks when it breaks stuff and then you get to deal with an incompetent support organization. And it doubly sucks if you can't actually downgrade because your software is actually a service that you don't have control over.
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 am
moghopper wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 am If you log into your Quicken account, there is an option under "Support" to download older versions ...
go to quicken.com
In the upper right, select "sign in" and "My Account"
Use your quicken ID and password
After login - at the top select Support and "Download Older Versions"
After page load, scroll down, all the way down.
You will see any old versions you bought - but as I mentioned, not old patches and dot releases that could be useful.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

moghopper wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:46 pm
bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 am
go to quicken.com
In the upper right, select "sign in" and "My Account"
Use your quicken ID and password
After login - at the top select Support and "Download Older Versions"
After page load, scroll down, all the way down.
You will see any old versions you bought - but as I mentioned, not old patches and dot releases that could be useful.
Thanks. I downloaded the 2017 version. Will give it a try.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 am

It is odd to have so many bug fixes in 30 year old software. I have to wonder if a release is fixing bugs they introduced in the last release. Quicken is not exactly adding a lot of new features. I wonder if these frequent updates are to make you think you are getting your subscription $$$$ worth.

I would imagine most of the updates have to do with financial institution downloads, and compatability issues on both sides as changes are made.