Identity Theft

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NavyIC3

Identity Theft

Post by NavyIC3 »

I have never had an account with TD Bank or TD Ameritrade. Recently I received two statements from TD Bank. A checking account with $7300 in it and a MM account with a balance of $9000. It showed deposits from Arizona Benefits. The checking account had withdrawals of almost the entire amount five days after the deposit. The MM account had no withdrawals. I called TD Bank fraud department. They had my SSN and DOB. They also told me that the deposits came from AZ unemployment. They then closed the accounts. My credit has been frozen at Equifax, Transunion and Experian for three years. I’ve been checking my credit reports weekly for three weeks and all are good. My main concern is that I will receive 1099’s for the unemployment. I did not contact AZ about this. Any thoughts on what else I can do?
stan1

Re: Identity Theft

Post by stan1 »

Definitely need to report it to state unemployment agency and I would also at least attempt to file a police report by phone given the dollar amount and involvement of a government program. You won't be the first case they've had reported.
testing321

Post by testing321 »

NavyIC3 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 amMy credit has been frozen at Equifax, Transunion and Experian for three years.
I would also freeze at ChexSystems.com . Also report at https://des.az.gov/services/employment/ ... efit-fraud
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Definitely contact Arizona and the police. And in my state I was required to contact the state Attorney Generals office. They had a department of ID theft and they gave me a whole list of things to do when someone tried to get a Fed income tax refund in my name.

One good thing here is that you were not defrauded, Arizona was. And so in the end you should come out fine. Just a lot of aggravation.

Also try to file your 2020 taxes electronically as early as you can before this guy gets a chance to file one for you. Or you will have more aggravation next year.