What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10577
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by ResearchMed »

DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm OP, I take it you have already received the bonus? If so, you may not want to chance doing the regular spend so that it may fall into the next the year. You are supposed to complete the spend in a calendar year. You may have issues if your regular spending is done at the end of the year and your statement closes the next year.
This hasn't ever been a problem us, but where does it say that the "spend" for the bonus points must be in one calendar year. I don't actually remember if any of those intervals went through the New Year for us.

All I've ever seen written is the "... spend $X within Y months..."
Could you quote the fine print that states this about within a single calendar year, and which card, and which card offer, it was from?

We are about to sign up for several more, and maybe this isn't the right time after all, with just a few months left in 2020.

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
atdharris
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by atdharris »

I am still using the BofA cards as my cash back cards. There are times I wonder if I should start building up travel points again, but who knows when I will travel again. I have the CF, CFU and CSP cards, so with the enhancements to the Chase cards, I am considering moving my spending to the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4511
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm
arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:35 am
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:13 am
arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:21 am I anticipated a lot of upcoming spending and travel and so applied for the Southwest Rapid Rewards 75K points in Jan. Am $100 shy of the companion pass, so should get there next statement. Plan to close this card soon after that.

Since we're still buying things for the house, I think I can sign up for another card (AF or not) that I can use to generate rewards for travel (expect 1 international flight RT for 2 every year, hotels & car rentals). Need suggestions here.


TLDR:
Current Cards:
1) Amex Gold (4x Groceries, 4x Dining, 3x flights)
2) Bofa Cash Rewards (3% Online Shopping)
3) Citi Dividend -> 2% Citi Double Cash
4) Southwest RR 125K points + companion pass -> Will close soon
5) Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 60K limit - Fairly useless card right now and my second oldest. Not sure if I should close or product change.

Looking for a travel card (AF or not) for upcoming expenses, maybe something that replaces Blue Cash.

Have considered Wells Fargo Propel + Visa 4.5% on travel, but that's two more annoying cards to juggle. The other two cards I'm considering are Citi Premier with 60K points and 3X on travel, OR U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve with 4.5x mobile & travel though I doubt they'll approve since they've rejected a Go card I foolishly applied for with no research.

Thanks!
I don’t know what stage you are at on your spending to acquire the SW Companion Pass. You should always try to complete the spending requirement at the beginning of the year. In this way it will be good for that year and the year to come.
Here is a write on the Companion Pass.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/s ... nion-pass/

The credit card that has the $100 airline credit, check to see if you can buy a travel gift card for an airline that you will soon be flying with. You can find information on this on websites like Flyertalk and Doctor of Credit. This will give you more flexibility on using this credit.

For a new card you might consider an Amex Platinum. In this way you can pool your points together from your other Amex cards. In effect getting a trifecta of credit cards. Plus, you will get the bonus points for the Platinum.
Here is write up on this.

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/tra ... a-is-best/

Good luck
Interesting thoughts on the Southwest Companion Pass. Looks like I misinterpreted that a bit. I didn't want to push spending and let it normally get close to the limit with the 25K bonus they provided helping immensely. I thought I'd lose this year anyway because of covid but even a year of Companion Pass would be worth it.

However, since I am actually ~175 off and my statements close on the 4th of the month, I am better off making the last couple of purchases on December 10th so that it posts on the Jan 4th 2021 statement and I can get the Companion pass for 2021 and 2022? This sounds right?

Thanks for the link on the Trifecta write-up. The $550 annual fee for the Platinum threw me off especially since Citi Premier has a $95 fee only and still 60000 points which can be transferred to airlines. But I'll read that article to understand what I'm missing.

Cheers for the response!! Happy Labor Day!
OP, I take it you have already received the bonus? If so, you may not want to chance doing the regular spend so that it may fall into the next the year. You are supposed to complete the spend in a calendar year. You may have issues if your regular spending is done at the end of the year and your statement closes the next year.

By doing a trifecta credit card system, you will be able to pool the points into one reward system. My wife and I use the Chase Trifecta. We have been able to acquire annually on average 100K points by using those credit cards for our regular purchases. Combined with the bonus of a high annual fee card, you should be able to accrue a pretty high balance. If you play this game with your spouse, with both of you signing up for credit cards, you can really rack up the points.

You will have to determine if you will be able find value in the benefits of the Platinum CC. What you want to do is offset that annual cost by taking advantage of those benefits.
Let me ask you I have 2 no fee Amex cards with about 20k points each. One is the blue which is my oldest card I have had for over 20 years and won’t get rid of it. I also don’t use it. The other is the Amex everyday card. Those points are far less valuable than if they were attached to another card. Is it really possible to get the Amex gold or platinum and to move them there? Maybe the Schwab platinum and then cash them out at 1.25cents.

I like you I am part of the UR club with the CSR, ink x2 freedom x2 and freedom unlimited, and will likely sign up for the flex when it comes out though skeptical of the 5x category.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
DrGrnTum
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by DrGrnTum »

by EnjoyIt » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:18 pm
Let me ask you I have 2 no fee Amex cards with about 20k points each. One is the blue which is my oldest card I have had for over 20 years and won’t get rid of it. I also don’t use it. The other is the Amex everyday card. Those points are far less valuable than if they were attached to another card. Is it really possible to get the Amex gold or platinum and to move them there? Maybe the Schwab platinum and then cash them out at 1.25cents.

I like you I am part of the UR club with the CSR, ink x2 freedom x2 and freedom unlimited, and will likely sign up for the flex when it comes out though skeptical of the 5x category.
The Points Guy has a pretty good write up on Amex cards and what points you can earn.
Here is the link:
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-to-c ... x-for-you/

I am not sure what cards you have. If I was you, I would call the number in back of your card and ask if your particular card will allow you to pool points and cash them out with the Schwab Platinum.
arsenal_fan
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by arsenal_fan »

DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm
arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:35 am
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:13 am
arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:21 am I anticipated a lot of upcoming spending and travel and so applied for the Southwest Rapid Rewards 75K points in Jan. Am $100 shy of the companion pass, so should get there next statement. Plan to close this card soon after that.

Since we're still buying things for the house, I think I can sign up for another card (AF or not) that I can use to generate rewards for travel (expect 1 international flight RT for 2 every year, hotels & car rentals). Need suggestions here.


TLDR:
Current Cards:
1) Amex Gold (4x Groceries, 4x Dining, 3x flights)
2) Bofa Cash Rewards (3% Online Shopping)
3) Citi Dividend -> 2% Citi Double Cash
4) Southwest RR 125K points + companion pass -> Will close soon
5) Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 60K limit - Fairly useless card right now and my second oldest. Not sure if I should close or product change.

Looking for a travel card (AF or not) for upcoming expenses, maybe something that replaces Blue Cash.

Have considered Wells Fargo Propel + Visa 4.5% on travel, but that's two more annoying cards to juggle. The other two cards I'm considering are Citi Premier with 60K points and 3X on travel, OR U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve with 4.5x mobile & travel though I doubt they'll approve since they've rejected a Go card I foolishly applied for with no research.

Thanks!
I don’t know what stage you are at on your spending to acquire the SW Companion Pass. You should always try to complete the spending requirement at the beginning of the year. In this way it will be good for that year and the year to come.
Here is a write on the Companion Pass.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/s ... nion-pass/

The credit card that has the $100 airline credit, check to see if you can buy a travel gift card for an airline that you will soon be flying with. You can find information on this on websites like Flyertalk and Doctor of Credit. This will give you more flexibility on using this credit.

For a new card you might consider an Amex Platinum. In this way you can pool your points together from your other Amex cards. In effect getting a trifecta of credit cards. Plus, you will get the bonus points for the Platinum.
Here is write up on this.

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/tra ... a-is-best/

Good luck
Interesting thoughts on the Southwest Companion Pass. Looks like I misinterpreted that a bit. I didn't want to push spending and let it normally get close to the limit with the 25K bonus they provided helping immensely. I thought I'd lose this year anyway because of covid but even a year of Companion Pass would be worth it.

However, since I am actually ~175 off and my statements close on the 4th of the month, I am better off making the last couple of purchases on December 10th so that it posts on the Jan 4th 2021 statement and I can get the Companion pass for 2021 and 2022? This sounds right?

Thanks for the link on the Trifecta write-up. The $550 annual fee for the Platinum threw me off especially since Citi Premier has a $95 fee only and still 60000 points which can be transferred to airlines. But I'll read that article to understand what I'm missing.

Cheers for the response!! Happy Labor Day!
OP, I take it you have already received the bonus? If so, you may not want to chance doing the regular spend so that it may fall into the next the year. You are supposed to complete the spend in a calendar year. You may have issues if your regular spending is done at the end of the year and your statement closes the next year.
Hmm, yeah I signed up for the card in Jan and received the bonus in June. They added a cool 25k points bonus and now I'm basically $100 short. Was getting greedy to have the CP for 2021 and 2022 by making a transaction in December after my statement closes but I guess it comes with a risk. I'll re-evaluate.

Thanks for the suggestions on pooling points together. I'll look at it a little more. It's also less hassle than having points in the amex world and citi/chase world.
DrGrnTum
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by DrGrnTum »

arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:00 pm
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm
arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:35 am
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:13 am
arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:21 am I anticipated a lot of upcoming spending and travel and so applied for the Southwest Rapid Rewards 75K points in Jan. Am $100 shy of the companion pass, so should get there next statement. Plan to close this card soon after that.

Since we're still buying things for the house, I think I can sign up for another card (AF or not) that I can use to generate rewards for travel (expect 1 international flight RT for 2 every year, hotels & car rentals). Need suggestions here.


TLDR:
Current Cards:
1) Amex Gold (4x Groceries, 4x Dining, 3x flights)
2) Bofa Cash Rewards (3% Online Shopping)
3) Citi Dividend -> 2% Citi Double Cash
4) Southwest RR 125K points + companion pass -> Will close soon
5) Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 60K limit - Fairly useless card right now and my second oldest. Not sure if I should close or product change.

Looking for a travel card (AF or not) for upcoming expenses, maybe something that replaces Blue Cash.

Have considered Wells Fargo Propel + Visa 4.5% on travel, but that's two more annoying cards to juggle. The other two cards I'm considering are Citi Premier with 60K points and 3X on travel, OR U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve with 4.5x mobile & travel though I doubt they'll approve since they've rejected a Go card I foolishly applied for with no research.

Thanks!
I don’t know what stage you are at on your spending to acquire the SW Companion Pass. You should always try to complete the spending requirement at the beginning of the year. In this way it will be good for that year and the year to come.
Here is a write on the Companion Pass.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/s ... nion-pass/

The credit card that has the $100 airline credit, check to see if you can buy a travel gift card for an airline that you will soon be flying with. You can find information on this on websites like Flyertalk and Doctor of Credit. This will give you more flexibility on using this credit.

For a new card you might consider an Amex Platinum. In this way you can pool your points together from your other Amex cards. In effect getting a trifecta of credit cards. Plus, you will get the bonus points for the Platinum.
Here is write up on this.

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/tra ... a-is-best/

Good luck
Interesting thoughts on the Southwest Companion Pass. Looks like I misinterpreted that a bit. I didn't want to push spending and let it normally get close to the limit with the 25K bonus they provided helping immensely. I thought I'd lose this year anyway because of covid but even a year of Companion Pass would be worth it.

However, since I am actually ~175 off and my statements close on the 4th of the month, I am better off making the last couple of purchases on December 10th so that it posts on the Jan 4th 2021 statement and I can get the Companion pass for 2021 and 2022? This sounds right?

Thanks for the link on the Trifecta write-up. The $550 annual fee for the Platinum threw me off especially since Citi Premier has a $95 fee only and still 60000 points which can be transferred to airlines. But I'll read that article to understand what I'm missing.

Cheers for the response!! Happy Labor Day!
OP, I take it you have already received the bonus? If so, you may not want to chance doing the regular spend so that it may fall into the next the year. You are supposed to complete the spend in a calendar year. You may have issues if your regular spending is done at the end of the year and your statement closes the next year.
Hmm, yeah I signed up for the card in Jan and received the bonus in June. They added a cool 25k points bonus and now I'm basically $100 short. Was getting greedy to have the CP for 2021 and 2022 by making a transaction in December after my statement closes but I guess it comes with a risk. I'll re-evaluate.

Thanks for the suggestions on pooling points together. I'll look at it a little more. It's also less hassle than having points in the amex world and citi/chase world.
Since you are going to be flying SW you can probably use that airline credit to purchase early bird check in.
Also, buy a couple of drinks on your flight.
Before long, you should be able to blow through that airline credit that you have with that Amex Gold CC.
hmw
Posts: 795
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:44 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by hmw »

I received a mailed offer from Amex for their blue cash preferred card. I thought it was a good deal.

$300 statement credit for $3000 spending over the 1st 6 months. First year annual fee is waived. Subsequent annual fee is $95.

6% back on groceries, to a max of $6000 a year
6% back on streaming services
3% back on transit and gas

The 6% back on groceries is best I have seen anywhere.
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by heartwood »

hmw wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 pm I received a mailed offer from Amex for their blue cash preferred card. I thought it was a good deal.

$300 statement credit for $3000 spending over the 1st 6 months. First year annual fee is waived. Subsequent annual fee is $95.

6% back on groceries, to a max of $6000 a year
6% back on streaming services
3% back on transit and gas

The 6% back on groceries is best I have seen anywhere.
I just hit $6k in groceries today, so it now goes to 1%. I've had it for several years, but switched to the free one at 3% earlier this year (April?) for a number reasons, mostly the math of the $95 AF after I had hit almost $5k because of food and Rx costs at a supermarket with a pharmacy that coded correctly. The marginal payback became negative. I could pay $95 renewal for around $60 left in the 6% rewards cap in 2020. I'd also note getting your money is somewhat cloogy. The reward lags a month or two before posting as available and before you can request the credit against your account that posts in the month after that.

OTOH your offer is a good one.
dru808
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: mid pac

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by dru808 »

Pay reoccurring bills or anything that cannot be paid with cash. Wait a few years, book a trip with Chase ultimate.
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds
hmw
Posts: 795
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:44 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by hmw »

heartwood wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:07 pm
hmw wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 pm I received a mailed offer from Amex for their blue cash preferred card. I thought it was a good deal.

$300 statement credit for $3000 spending over the 1st 6 months. First year annual fee is waived. Subsequent annual fee is $95.

6% back on groceries, to a max of $6000 a year
6% back on streaming services
3% back on transit and gas

The 6% back on groceries is best I have seen anywhere.
I just hit $6k in groceries today, so it now goes to 1%. I've had it for several years, but switched to the free one at 3% earlier this year (April?) for a number reasons, mostly the math of the $95 AF after I had hit almost $5k because of food and Rx costs at a supermarket with a pharmacy that coded correctly. The marginal payback became negative. I could pay $95 renewal for around $60 left in the 6% rewards cap in 2020. I'd also note getting your money is somewhat cloogy. The reward lags a month or two before posting as available and before you can request the credit against your account that posts in the month after that.

OTOH your offer is a good one.
I will likely cancel the card after one year.
tj
Posts: 3203
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by tj »

hmw wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:24 pm
heartwood wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:07 pm
hmw wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 pm I received a mailed offer from Amex for their blue cash preferred card. I thought it was a good deal.

$300 statement credit for $3000 spending over the 1st 6 months. First year annual fee is waived. Subsequent annual fee is $95.

6% back on groceries, to a max of $6000 a year
6% back on streaming services
3% back on transit and gas

The 6% back on groceries is best I have seen anywhere.
I just hit $6k in groceries today, so it now goes to 1%. I've had it for several years, but switched to the free one at 3% earlier this year (April?) for a number reasons, mostly the math of the $95 AF after I had hit almost $5k because of food and Rx costs at a supermarket with a pharmacy that coded correctly. The marginal payback became negative. I could pay $95 renewal for around $60 left in the 6% rewards cap in 2020. I'd also note getting your money is somewhat cloogy. The reward lags a month or two before posting as available and before you can request the credit against your account that posts in the month after that.

OTOH your offer is a good one.
I will likely cancel the card after one year.
There's no reason to cancel it, just downgrade it.
Jags4186
Posts: 5076
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Jags4186 »

FYI if anyone is having trouble using their AMEX Shop Small offer, you can buy credit $10 at a time at egifter.com. Egifter qualifies as a Shop Small merchant. If you make ten $10 purchases, you can then combine those into one $100 gift card to a variety of merchants. My wife and I were able to get two $100 Target gift card for $50 each after the $5 rebates.
tj
Posts: 3203
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by tj »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 am FYI if anyone is having trouble using their AMEX Shop Small offer, you can buy credit $10 at a time at egifter.com. Egifter qualifies as a Shop Small merchant. If you make ten $10 purchases, you can then combine those into one $100 gift card to a variety of merchants. My wife and I were able to get two $100 Target gift card for $50 each after the $5 rebates.
You couldn't find legitimate small businesses to use them at?
TravelforFun
Posts: 2173
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by TravelforFun »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:13 pm
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm OP, I take it you have already received the bonus? If so, you may not want to chance doing the regular spend so that it may fall into the next the year. You are supposed to complete the spend in a calendar year. You may have issues if your regular spending is done at the end of the year and your statement closes the next year.
This hasn't ever been a problem us, but where does it say that the "spend" for the bonus points must be in one calendar year. I don't actually remember if any of those intervals went through the New Year for us.

All I've ever seen written is the "... spend $X within Y months..."
Could you quote the fine print that states this about within a single calendar year, and which card, and which card offer, it was from?

We are about to sign up for several more, and maybe this isn't the right time after all, with just a few months left in 2020.

Thanks.

RM
"... spend $X within Y months..." to get the bonus points is correct. With Southwest, calendar year comes into play because you get the companion pass in the same calendar year (and the following year) when you reach the 125,000 points.

TravelforFun
Jags4186
Posts: 5076
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Jags4186 »

tj wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:43 am
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 am FYI if anyone is having trouble using their AMEX Shop Small offer, you can buy credit $10 at a time at egifter.com. Egifter qualifies as a Shop Small merchant. If you make ten $10 purchases, you can then combine those into one $100 gift card to a variety of merchants. My wife and I were able to get two $100 Target gift card for $50 each after the $5 rebates.
You couldn't find legitimate small businesses to use them at?
Two things:

1) Does it matter? I don't change my spending habits based on a $5 coupon.

2) I did try and use the offer at businesses that show up on the map and, of course, they didn't trigger the credit. After speaking with AMEX after having 4 transactions fail to qualify they basically told me that even if a business shows up on the map, the business still needs to do XYZ things in order to register. I'm not dealing with that hassle.
Mudpuppy
Posts: 6436
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Mudpuppy »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 am FYI if anyone is having trouble using their AMEX Shop Small offer, you can buy credit $10 at a time at egifter.com. Egifter qualifies as a Shop Small merchant. If you make ten $10 purchases, you can then combine those into one $100 gift card to a variety of merchants. My wife and I were able to get two $100 Target gift card for $50 each after the $5 rebates.
This is a little too close to manufactured spending for my comfort, particularly with AMEX's RAT reputation. It's my second oldest card, so I'm not planning to rock the boat.
User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 19399
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by VictoriaF »

Breaking news:
The CSP sign-in bonus is increased to 80k points.

Congratulations to the eligible players. And a good first card for those who want to start playing.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Bibliothikarios
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 pm
Location: Deep South

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bibliothikarios »

Question:

Can I refer my wife for the Chase Sapphire Preferred or any Chase card and get the referral bonus (if I have the card)?
Leesbro63
Posts: 6676
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Leesbro63 »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:40 am Breaking news:
The CSP sign-in bonus is increased to 80k points.

Congratulations to the eligible players. And a good first card for those who want to start playing.

Victoria
How much is this worth if you cash it in...and not use their travel portals?
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4511
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:28 am
VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:40 am Breaking news:
The CSP sign-in bonus is increased to 80k points.

Congratulations to the eligible players. And a good first card for those who want to start playing.

Victoria
How much is this worth if you cash it in...and not use their travel portals?
$800 plus the $4000 in spend giving you another $40 or so.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Jags4186
Posts: 5076
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Jags4186 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:28 am
VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:40 am Breaking news:
The CSP sign-in bonus is increased to 80k points.

Congratulations to the eligible players. And a good first card for those who want to start playing.

Victoria
How much is this worth if you cash it in...and not use their travel portals?
$800 plus the $4000 in spend giving you another $40 or so.
Minus the not waived $95 annual fee.
DrGrnTum
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by DrGrnTum »

Bibliothikarios wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 pm Question:

Can I refer my wife for the Chase Sapphire Preferred or any Chase card and get the referral bonus (if I have the card)?
Yes you can.
Here is a write up by the The Points Guy on Chase referrals.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/earn-chas ... ral-links/

In the artificial he posts a link for the Chase site that allows you to generate a referral links.
Here is that link.

https://creditcards.chase.com/refer-a-friend

Right now the referral of the Chase Preferred in showing the Bonus for the card at 75K.
You should wait until that gets changed to 80k
Bibliothikarios
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 pm
Location: Deep South

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bibliothikarios »

DrGrnTum wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:29 am
Bibliothikarios wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 pm Question:

Can I refer my wife for the Chase Sapphire Preferred or any Chase card and get the referral bonus (if I have the card)?
Yes you can.
Here is a write up by the The Points Guy on Chase referrals.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/earn-chas ... ral-links/

In the artificial he posts a link for the Chase site that allows you to generate a referral links.
Here is that link.

https://creditcards.chase.com/refer-a-friend

Right now the referral of the Chase Preferred in showing the Bonus for the card at 75K.
You should wait until that gets changed to 80k
Thank you for the answer!
Bibliothikarios
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 pm
Location: Deep South

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bibliothikarios »

One more question:

How long a period a time will the 80k Sapphire Preferred bonus last? Can anyone venture a guess based on past windows of time?

I wanted to stagger mine and DW's so that we can hit our spend naturally. I would like to wait a month before she gets it, if possible.
Seasonal
Posts: 1991
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Seasonal »

Bibliothikarios wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:42 am One more question:

How long a period a time will the 80k Sapphire Preferred bonus last? Can anyone venture a guess based on past windows of time?

I wanted to stagger mine and DW's so that we can hit our spend naturally. I would like to wait a month before she gets it, if possible.
November 8, https://www.doctorofcredit.com/source-c ... er-8-2020/
Bibliothikarios
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 pm
Location: Deep South

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bibliothikarios »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:15 am
Bibliothikarios wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:42 am One more question:

How long a period a time will the 80k Sapphire Preferred bonus last? Can anyone venture a guess based on past windows of time?

I wanted to stagger mine and DW's so that we can hit our spend naturally. I would like to wait a month before she gets it, if possible.
November 8, https://www.doctorofcredit.com/source-c ... er-8-2020/
Thank you for the answer!
absolute zero
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by absolute zero »

Does anyone know if purchasing visa gift cards is still a valid way to generate spending towards Chase Sapphire Preferred’s $4k requirement? It’s been a long time since I got a new credit card. Not sure if I can hit the $4k in 3 months with my normal spending. I remember many years ago buying VGC’s off of giftcardmall.com. Hopefully Chase hasn’t shut that down?
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4511
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

absolute zero wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:02 pm Does anyone know if purchasing visa gift cards is still a valid way to generate spending towards Chase Sapphire Preferred’s $4k requirement? It’s been a long time since I got a new credit card. Not sure if I can hit the $4k in 3 months with my normal spending. I remember many years ago buying VGC’s off of giftcardmall.com. Hopefully Chase hasn’t shut that down?
That does work. You can also buy gift cards for the supermarket or other common establishment you go to regularly or even prepay your electric bill.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 19399
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by VictoriaF »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:38 am
absolute zero wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:02 pm Does anyone know if purchasing visa gift cards is still a valid way to generate spending towards Chase Sapphire Preferred’s $4k requirement? It’s been a long time since I got a new credit card. Not sure if I can hit the $4k in 3 months with my normal spending. I remember many years ago buying VGC’s off of giftcardmall.com. Hopefully Chase hasn’t shut that down?
That does work. You can also buy gift cards for the supermarket or other common establishment you go to regularly or even prepay your electric bill.
My plan is to get this card in mid-October. Per Doctor of Credit, the bonus should be available until early November, but I don't want to wait to the last moment.

My spending plan is as follows:
- generate as much organic spending as possible between the time of getting the card and the end of the year
- in early January 2021, do the rest of the $4,000 spending by paying the estimated taxes for the 4th quarter of 2020.

In the worst case, I'll pay $2,000 in estimated taxes with 1.87% fee. That would be a loss of $37.40 on the fee, which is not a big deal.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Post Reply