U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Robot Monster

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

Risk on again as China has good numbers, USD softer and bond yields edging higher. Industrial production out today and FOMC starts. Source
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:52 am Risk on again as China has good numbers, USD softer and bond yields edging higher. Industrial production out today and FOMC starts. Source

Kathy also mentioned a lower dollar from here. What is causing this?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Stinky wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:58 am Futures are UP again!

Looks like a soaring day ahead.
QQQ is trading pretty close to $279 premarket.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:01 am
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:52 am Risk on again as China has good numbers, USD softer and bond yields edging higher. Industrial production out today and FOMC starts. Source

"The U.S. dollar has been heading lower over the past several months as it has become clear that the coronavirus crisis is hitting the U.S. harder than many other advanced economies, and as the crisis has been met with unprecedented fiscal and monetary loosening...There are many reasons to expect further weakness. Chief among them is the Federal Reserve’s new policy framework unveiled last month." Source
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

As if quoting tickers wasn't bad enough, now people are quoting prices on tickers as if anyone knows if that's up or down or has any relative anchor to compare it to :oops: :annoyed
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 am ...
I'll assume whatever that means is good from the context :confused :beer
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 am

"The U.S. dollar has been heading lower over the past several months as it has become clear that the coronavirus crisis is hitting the U.S. harder than many other advanced economies, and as the crisis has been met with unprecedented fiscal and monetary loosening...There are many reasons to expect further weakness. Chief among them is the Federal Reserve’s new policy framework unveiled last month." Source
Thank you!
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

All good for my ex-US holdings. :moneybag
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 am

SP500 3400 here we come
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 am As if quoting tickers wasn't bad enough, now people are quoting prices on tickers as if anyone knows if that's up or down or has any relative anchor to compare it to :oops: :annoyed
It’s either pretty good or pretty bad.

Since it’s in the “soaring” thread we’ll assume it’s good.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

jason2459 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:34 am

Yes, mine too! A weaker dollar is also good for US exporters, and, I suppose, US companies that source the majority of their revenue overseas, such as Apple.

Apple
43.8% US
24% Europe
32% China/Japan/Rest of Asia Pacific

Apple revenue based on total revenue for q1 2019
Source
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Yah, but not so good for the country...
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:23 am

The US will be fine. Looking forward to some inflation too.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 am As if quoting tickers wasn't bad enough, now people are quoting prices on tickers as if anyone knows if that's up or down or has any relative anchor to compare it to :oops: :annoyed
Sorry, I will try to just restate or cut and paste CNBC stories out of context in the future.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:23 am

Not necessarily. Devaluation could be helpful. Consider this:

"China's economy depends significantly on its exported goods. By devaluating its currency, the Asian giant lowered the price of its exports and gained a competitive advantage in the international markets. A weaker currency also made China's imports costlier, thus spurring the production of substitute products at home to aid the domestic industry. Washington was particularly incensed because many U.S. politicians had been claiming for years that China had kept its currency artificially low at the expense of American exporters. Some believed that China’s devaluation of the yuan was just the beginning of a currency war that could lead to increasing trade tensions."
Source
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 am

Doing good for me. No complaints.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Fun tidbit of the day, regarding sentiment:

"Even with the run to new highs, individual investors are more bearish than bullish. Nearly half of individual investors—about 48.5%—are bearish, according to the most recent survey from the American Association of Individual Investors. That is well above the historical average of about 30%. Only about 23.7% are bullish, according to the group." Source
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:17 pm Fun tidbit of the day, regarding sentiment:

"Even with the run to new highs, individual investors are more bearish than bullish. Nearly half of individual investors—about 48.5%—are bearish, according to the most recent survey from the American Association of Individual Investors. That is well above the historical average of about 30%. Only about 23.7% are bullish, according to the group." Source

Even with these new highs lately, there is still a lot of cash sitting on the sidelines?
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:17 pm Fun tidbit of the day, regarding sentiment:

I'm convinced the news cycle encourages unnecessary trading activity.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 am
Sorry, I will try to just restate or cut and paste CNBC stories out of context in the future.
That's what you get for mentioning such an obscure ticker. :oops: lol
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

No Iphone 12 so maybe we'll have a slow bleed downward for the rest of the day.
codoriti

Post by codoriti »

.🕪..🕪..🚚💰|_
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

codoriti wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:11 pm .🕪..🕪..🚚💰|_
That truck is on the loose, again, I see. It's like the truck from Duel. Seemingly unstoppable.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

rchmx1 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 am
That's what you get for mentioning such an obscure ticker. :oops: lol
I know, whoever heard of QQQ.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:02 pm No Iphone 12 so maybe we'll have a slow bleed downward for the rest of the day.
Looks like people are exchanging their AAPL stocks for TSLA :sharebeer
Steve Reading

Post by Steve Reading »

Sounds bullish to me.

"Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful." Buffett.
"... so high a present discounted value of wealth, it is only prudent for him to put more into common stocks compared to his present tangible wealth, borrowing if necessary" - Paul Samuelson
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Steve Reading wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Sounds bullish to me.

"Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful." Buffett.
Yup, I am still bullish.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Such a weird day.. after market is a blood bath
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Keenobserver wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm Such a weird day.. after market is a blood bath
SPY and QQQ are up from the close.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Indeed up overall.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Looked like a normal day to me. SP600 small caps in the red.
langlands

Post by langlands »

When it comes to inflows/outflows and sentiment, I often get confused because it's hard to square all the data in a consistent manner. I thought the narrative was that retail investors were rushing into the market and causing a bubble and that the market was euphoric. The article mentions this in passing but doesn't really do a good job of tackling this puzzle head on. Also, you have to be very careful when interpreting fund flow data. For instance, QQQ has been recently experiencing outflow, and the story writes itself: "Panicked investors sell: Has the Tech Bubble Burst?" Well guess what, TQQQ has also experienced its largest inflows ever during the last couple weeks. So true market sentiment is very hard to read, which of course has to be true philosophically since otherwise markets would be too predictable.

One theory I have is that following the K-shaped recovery of the pandemic itself, there is also a K-shaped bimodal distribution in stock market sentiment. There is a group which is very bearish and another group which is very bullish (exemplified by the robinhood Davey Day trader crowd). Another theory is that people's actions and words aren't aligned. It would be a lot more informative if along with the bearish/bullish survey, it also asked for stock market allocation. It could be that a bunch of people say they are bearish, but are still heavily in stocks because "stonks always go up." If that is true, then the market could be on weak legs.
Last edited by langlands on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
langlands

Post by langlands »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm Such a weird day.. after market is a blood bath
yeah...no idea what he's talking about.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm
Yep. Now, the market is rebounding back. Surprise. Surprise. The tech apocalypse hasn't arrived yet.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

langlands wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:33 pm

When it comes to inflows/outflows and sentiment, I often get confused because it's hard to square all the data in a consistent manner. I thought the narrative was that retail investors were rushing into the market and causing a bubble and that the market was euphoric. The article mentions this in passing but doesn't really do a good job of tackling this puzzle head on. Also, you have to be very careful when interpreting fund flow data. For instance, QQQ has been recently experiencing outflow, and the story writes itself: "Panicked investors sell: Has the Tech Bubble Burst?" Well guess what, TQQQ has also experienced its largest inflows ever during the last couple weeks. So true market sentiment is very hard to read, which of course has to be true philosophically since otherwise markets would be too predictable.

One theory I have is that following the K-shaped recovery of the pandemic itself, there is also a K-shaped bimodal distribution in stock market sentiment. There is a group which is very bearish and another group which is very bullish (exemplified by the robinhood Davey Day trader crowd). Another theory is that people's actions and words aren't aligned. It would be a lot more informative if along with the bearish/bullish survey, it also asked for stock market allocation. It could be that a bunch of people say they are bearish, but are still heavily in stocks because "stonks always go up." If that is true, then the market could be on weak legs.
Gobbledygook. "People who are bearish" build wealth by consistent investing and don't fret during peaks and valleys.

You devise a plan and stick with it, the path to wealth. The only split on the "K" is those who put money in and watch it go up and down, sell and get spooked, run away and do not make additional contributions and cry about it. Then there's the other group who has a plan to continue investing consistently and through the highs and lows.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Tomorrow looking like another vegan day.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Forester wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 am
lostdog wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:45 am
Forester wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 am Whatever churn occurs from here on out, the Nasdaq high is in; it won't go above 12,000 for a very long time to come. A dividend yield of 0.6%? Not very enticing.
Will you guess how long?
5 years if inflation stays where it is moreorless.
5 days may be more realistic.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

rchmx1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:50 am Tomorrow looking like another vegan day.
Futures up about 0.5%.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Stinky wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:33 am
rchmx1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:50 am Tomorrow looking like another vegan day.
Futures up about 0.5%.
QQQ trading up from the $279.06 close to over $280 in premarket
SPY trading up from the $340.17 close to almost $342 in premarket
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

My iShares Transportation Average ETF (IYT) has been performing nicely even with the pullback.

Top 5 Holdings
  • FedEx Corp (FDX)
  • Norfolk Southern Corp (NSC)
  • Union Pacific Corp (UNP)
  • Kansas City Southern (KSU)
  • United Parcel Service Inc Class B (UPS)
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

Pretty... Meh... so far with S&P and DOW up and Nasdaq down slightly. I guess we won't see much action until after the Federal Reserve update later today at 14:30 ET... after which I'd say the market will probably go up, or down, somewhat... :sharebeer
https://www.federalreserve.gov/live-broadcast.htm
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I will be backing up the truck soon! My truck does not go forward. :D
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Post by 000 »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:18 am I will be backing up the truck soon! My truck does not go forward. :D
Can we get an update on the truck situation? Does your truck still have any of the following? I assume not for the reasons given.

Turn signals? Don't need 'em. Stay the course.

Seat belts? Don't need 'em. No danger ahead (or, erm, behind?)

Topper? Don't need it. Not enough space for stocks under the topper.

Radio? Don't need it. Common Sense on Mutual Funds on tape is permanently stuck in the tape deck.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

I have some airlines so seeing a lot of green today
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

000 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 am
abuss368 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:18 am I will be backing up the truck soon! My truck does not go forward. :D
Can we get an update on the truck situation? Does your truck still have any of the following? I assume not for the reasons given.

Turn signals? Don't need 'em. Stay the course.

Seat belts? Don't need 'em. No danger ahead (or, erm, behind?)

Topper? Don't need it. Not enough space for stocks under the topper.

Radio? Don't need it. Common Sense on Mutual Funds on tape is permanently stuck in the tape deck.
000 -

You know what? That was actually good and honestly made me laugh out loud!

Thanks for the laugh on an otherwise stressful day.

Be well.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Market seems to like the fed meeting.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

firebirdparts wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm Market seems to like the fed meeting.
I’d check again.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Wow. I'm out on my bike. Looked again and now a complete reversel. That was quick.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Another big up day for value, seems like some rotation from growth this week
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Did the market expect a rate cut or something? I would think random noise, but the timing of the (minor) reversal was too closely tied to the meeting.
RayKeynes

Post by RayKeynes »

Its just the market being bipolar as usual