Invoice pricing on commercial truck?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
theplayer11

Invoice pricing on commercial truck?

Post by theplayer11 »

anyone know where I can find invoice pricing on Isuzu NPR trucks?
kiwi123

Re: Invoice pricing on commercial truck?

Post by kiwi123 »

Best bet is from the dealer... as part of your negotiations ask the dealer to provide invoice as part of the negotiations (e.g. "whats your price from dealer invoice? When i do the deal i'll want to confirm the options etc. on your dealer invoice...").

Assuming their cost structure is similar to "typical" passenger vehicles then invoice is probably 10-12% below MSRP.

Note: dealer can sell below invoice and still make a profit (e.g. incentives/rebates, dealer holdback could be another 1-3%)
denovo

Post by denovo »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:28 pm anyone know where I can find invoice pricing on Isuzu NPR trucks?
invoice doesn't matter
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

denovo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:24 am
theplayer11 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:28 pm anyone know where I can find invoice pricing on Isuzu NPR trucks?
invoice doesn't matter
it helps..
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

kiwi123 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 pm Best bet is from the dealer.
Why should the dealer tell you that and why do you think they are obliged to? When you go to Home Depot to buy a refrigerator, would you ask what is their cost on this fridge?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

atikovi wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 am
Why should the dealer tell you that and why do you think they are obliged to?
Because the invoice amount is pretty much useless in determining how much the dealer will make off a vehicle sales. They get paid from the dealer holdbacks, dealer cash incentives, sales bonuses, etc and don't include any manufacturer to consumer rebates or promotions.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Good luck!

Commercial vehicles right now are in high demand. OEM manufacturers are being flooded with orders from major fleets. I talked to a contact of mine in commercial trailers - 53 ft units and their backlog has exploded the last month...earliest delivery is April, 2021.

Earlier this summer Q over Q sales were down 57% at another OEM trailer manufacturer.

The demand for commercial straight trucks, such as the Isuzu you are looking at is also high due to the spike the past few years in final mile delivery.

I do not see how a dealer will share that information from you.

Another source would be to check with Ryder, Penske, Enterprise, etc...truck leasing companies to purchase a used straight truck.
It will be used, but probably last as long as the Isuzu are light duty.

ed
SquirrelEater

Post by SquirrelEater »

Throwing this out there:
IIRC I paid $47k for my 2014 Isuzu NPR-HD (gasoline engine). Bought it brand new with a 14’ dump bed, two underbody tool boxes, rear hitch/bumper assembly, and trailer brake controller. I think the cab portion was $35k at the time. At the time Ford quoted me 32k at the time if I was willing to wait for them to assemble it (none in stock).
Has been a great work truck. I drive it every workday. Very pleased. I think Isuzu doesn’t get the recognition it deserves for making a great truck. The truck currently has 130,000 miles and has been very reliable. Which is great contrasted to some other work trucks also bought new.
It is hard to find serious complaints online about Isuzu trucks.
130,000 miles of hauling heavy and tugging skid steers, backhoes, and mini excavator. Transmission ain’t toasted yet. lol.
Gets just under 10mpg when empty. It has excellent payload capacity relative to its GVWR. Mine is 14,500 lbs but is equivalent to a F450/F550 in legal payload. Carries a tad less legally than my C5500 (19,500) which empty weighs 12,300lbs and gets 6.5mpg. I think the NPR-HD rides better than the C5500 too.
When I buy another work truck (likely years from now) I likely won’t give other manufacturers a fair chance for my business.
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

atikovi wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 am
Why should the dealer tell you that and why do you think they are obliged to? When you go to Home Depot to buy a refrigerator, would you ask what is their cost on this fridge?

I didnt say the dealer was obliged to. I was answering the OPs question.

And fridge buying is very different from car buying - you actually know what the price of the fridge is before you go to Home Depot... and everyone else buying the same fridge that day from that store is paying the same price as you.

Invoice is just a useful data point to know (along with holdback, rebates, etc. etc.) so you have a sense for how good your final negotiated price is.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 am
denovo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:24 am
invoice doesn't matter
it helps..
Not necessarily. 15 years ago, yes. I suggest you look at James Bragg's website Fighting Chance. He explains how invoice pricing and dealer holdback is slowly becoming a myth.

https://fightingchance.com/the-exhibit
Topic Author
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

SquirrelEater wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pm Throwing this out there:
IIRC I paid $47k for my 2014 Isuzu NPR-HD (gasoline engine). Bought it brand new with a 14’ dump bed, two underbody tool boxes, rear hitch/bumper assembly, and trailer brake controller. I think the cab portion was $35k at the time. At the time Ford quoted me 32k at the time if I was willing to wait for them to assemble it (none in stock).
Has been a great work truck. I drive it every workday. Very pleased. I think Isuzu doesn’t get the recognition it deserves for making a great truck. The truck currently has 130,000 miles and has been very reliable. Which is great contrasted to some other work trucks also bought new.
It is hard to find serious complaints online about Isuzu trucks.
130,000 miles of hauling heavy and tugging skid steers, backhoes, and mini excavator. Transmission ain’t toasted yet. lol.
Gets just under 10mpg when empty. It has excellent payload capacity relative to its GVWR. Mine is 14,500 lbs but is equivalent to a F450/F550 in legal payload. Carries a tad less legally than my C5500 (19,500) which empty weighs 12,300lbs and gets 6.5mpg. I think the NPR-HD rides better than the C5500 too.
When I buy another work truck (likely years from now) I likely won’t give other manufacturers a fair chance for my business.
I currently have a 2005 NPR Gas with 140k miles, no problems, just maintenance items.
Best quote for a NPR gas 14,500 GVW is $38k for the chassis, about 20% off MSRP. Box is another $11k.
I paid $32k back in 2005 for same set up.