Tiffany Quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Tiffany Quality

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My nephew is getting married. In the past, I have always gotten family members for an occasion like this something from Tiffany. A nice serving platter or something like that for a wedding. But I don't like what Tiffany has now - its been 10 years so the inventory has changed. Is there some other name which has the prestige of Tiffany. Yes, I am going for the name and quality. I want it to be something special.

Re: Tiffany Quality

Post by 000 »

Assuming your nephew is a 20 or 30 something, I would suggest rethinking "a nice serving platter or something like that".

I would buy something off the registry.

If there isn't one, I would give cash.

An unwanted gift can become something of an albatross.
newventurer

Tiffany Quality

Post by newventurer »

Ya millennials don’t have China hutches 😆, the idea of quality and keepsake has changed a bit. How about a nice Digital camera, gold coin, Savings bond, share of Tesla stock...
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

How about a nice check? That is what I give now for wedding gifts, people seem to like that better.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:49 pm Assuming your nephew is a 20 or 30 something, I would suggest rethinking "a nice serving platter or something like that".

I would buy something off the registry.

If there isn't one, I would give cash.

An unwanted gift can become something of an albatross.
:thumbsup

And if there isn't a registry, encourage them to open one.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Something off their registry (if the couple has one) or $$$, or a combination of both.

Apologies if that doesn't actually answer your question.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

7eight9 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 pm Christofle perhaps?

https://www.christofle.com/us_en/tablew ... tters.html
Thanks all. The Christofle might work. The kids have some platters and such on their registry, but frankly, they don't want to seem grasping as they told me, so they asked for not expensive items. I have yet to go wrong with Tiffany platters and so forth. (Found out the kids I have given these things to don't just bring it out when I come over :)) We are a family that still has big dinners on holidays and get togethers. I've still got two months.
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

I would just ask them what they want.

I agree with the others above, there's a pretty slim chance that they want any silver.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

A LeCrueset pot or other cookware is a solid item that may not get used everyday, but is the perfect thing when the recipe calls for it.

I was gifted one when we got engaged 10 years ago, and it has held up well. And it’s oven to table presentable for a large meal. Plus it’s pricey enough I’m not likely to impulse buy one, but not too fancy I’m afraid to use it
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

thanks again...not looking for silver, more contemporary cut glass, but not Waterford which is too old lady, but the Le Creuset, might work. Can spend a bit more than I planned since I am not flying/traveling to the wedding which will be outdoors in December!

(I am reminded of a fight scene in Downton Abby where a vase is broken and the dowager says not to worry, an aunt gave it to her for her wedding and she always hated it.)
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

Monogrammed Mariposa
Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear »

You are a person of class! I would appreciate something of this nature , but I'm 32 and I have a China hutch!

If you do change your mind as you probably know, cash works well. Good luck let us know what you end up doing!
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 ambut the Le Creuset, might work.
I like this idea. Seems to have the “feel” you are after but is an item (dutch oven) that I have actually seen on a thirty somethings registry recently.
sport

Post by sport »

If you are looking for fancy glass items, perhaps you can find something here: https://www.lalique.com/en
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

If I were a newly wed, I'd like to get a top quality ($150+) 8" chef knife that will last generations.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Baccarat would be a good option if looking for glass.

https://us.baccarat.com/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 am
I like this idea. Seems to have the “feel” you are after but is an item (dutch oven) that I have actually seen on a thirty somethings registry recently.
I like this idea too. We were gifted several Le Creuset items and we use them all the time. My wife likes them because they're good for cooking and I like them because they're easy to clean.

Meanwhile, the fancy things we have from our wedding just take up shelf space.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

We had no fights in the family about splitting up Grandma's china and crystal, no one wanted it. The Le Creuset dutch oven and the Kitchenaid stand mixer we had to draw straws for, and all the 20-something and 30-somethings were interested.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Saint Louis has nice crystal vases. Make sure to tell them not to put it in the dishwasher!
TSR

Post by TSR »

acegolfer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 am If I were a newly wed, I'd like to get a top quality ($150+) 8" chef knife that will last generations.
I assume that your goal is to get something of high quality that will last a lifetime, but that will also appeal to the current generation of millennials. If so, I agree with this suggestion -- a very high quality 8" chef knife, preferably in a European style, but maybe with some Japanese flair if you wanted to go nuts. The Le Creuset would be a close second for me, although even those are somewhat deteriorating assets in that the enamel will wear out over time (slowly, however, and not necessarily harming the pot too much). The knife would truly last a lifetime. While I think there are plenty of people that age who would not know what to do with a silver platter, there are very few who wouldn't be incredibly pleased with a really nice knife.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Favorite gift hack from Tiffany:

2 wine glasses gift wrapped in a blue box and white bow: $60.

Works great for casual friends and distant relatives. I would add an envelope or check on top for close friends and relatives. Win win.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

acegolfer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 amIf I were a newly wed, I'd like to get a top quality ($150+) 8" chef knife that will last generations.
+1.

Buying a high quality chef's knife is one of the best kitchen items ever.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Panky

Post by Panky »

I am a married millennial, thoughts:
- I happen to have a china hutch, but zero of my peers do so I think you are right to rethink this.
- I have a small amount of very very fancy cut glassware and the like, most of it has never been used, we finally used some of the wine sets this week after 5 years of having them.
- Le Creuset is a great choice instead, we use ours twice a week. BUT likely the couple (read: bride) has a particular color they would want for Le Cresuet, so check registry or try to do some snooping.
c1over8

Post by c1over8 »

We received a fancy/expensive serving platter for our wedding that we didn't register for from a then 70 something person. It has sat in its gift box in a drawer since we received it. We entertain the most out of our friends and the majority of holidays and family events are celebrated at our house, however this platter wouldn't fit in with the rest of our much more casual (and dishwasher safe) serving dishes and style so we never use it. Maybe I'll find a way to regift it someday...

My side of the family doesn't really do gifts. My in law side tells each other what they want and the gift giver gets in (all very modestly priced and reasonable gifts). My mother in law is always giving me things I don't want in addition to the gift I've said I wanted. Very generous, but I'd much rather she gave me a crisp $5 bill (or nothing and simply not waste her money) than buy me a $50 sweater or whatever that I don't want.

Go with cash, gift card, or registry item unless you've been to this person's home and seen them routinely using comparable items.
Opalmanta

Post by Opalmanta »

Simon Pierce has beautiful glass bowls which can easily be used for serving sides, fruits, etc. Mine is in a kitchen cabinet and I use it every time we have guests. See:

https://www.simonpearce.com
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

caffeperfavore wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 am
I like this idea too. We were gifted several Le Creuset items and we use them all the time. My wife likes them because they're good for cooking and I like them because they're easy to clean.

Meanwhile, the fancy things we have from our wedding just take up shelf space.
I agree that Le Creuset is a great option *if* they cook and have space, and if they don't already have one. I totally agree with PP's point about the colour too, best to consult on that.

Solid, solid option though if it's something they need, because although they've always been popular, young people seem particularly into the brand these days.

Copper cookware is also a really nice option, but then you need to know if they have an induction cooktop.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I bought something from Tiffany a few months ago and as a gift, I received two crystal wine glasses from the company. Quite nice. Going to regift it as I don’t drink.

A nice wok would be a nice gift or a nice knife for the kitchen.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

In the realm of gifts which can be used for entertaining, maybe a Jura or Gaggia superautomatic coffee machine? If they're coffee nerds that style of machine may not appeal, but typical coffee drinkers may not splurge on such a high-end machine for themselves while nonetheless appreciating its utility both for themselves and for entertaining.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:13 pm How about a nice check? That is what I give now for wedding gifts, people seem to like that better.
I can't remember ever giving anything other than a check as a wedding present.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:23 am We had no fights in the family about splitting up Grandma's china and crystal, no one wanted it. The Le Creuset dutch oven and the Kitchenaid stand mixer we had to draw straws for, and all the 20-something and 30-somethings were interested.
This.
But, ask them what they want if you care about pleasing them.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

I have some nice items like that made by nambe. I forget where they are sold but you might google them to see if they’re still setting. More of a modern but still classy vibe.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

BolderBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 am
acegolfer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 amIf I were a newly wed, I'd like to get a top quality ($150+) 8" chef knife that will last generations.
+1.

Buying a high quality chef's knife is one of the best kitchen items ever.
Yes. But might I suggest 10”. A high end electric knife sharpener is also good.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

stimulacra wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:16 am Favorite gift hack from Tiffany:

Works great for casual friends and distant relatives. I would add an envelope or check on top for close friends and relatives. Win win.
Thought this was a great idea until I read this below:
cheesepep wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm I bought something from Tiffany a few months ago and as a gift, I received two crystal wine glasses from the company. Quite nice. Going to regift it as I don’t drink.

Now I'd be concerned the recipient thought I was re-gifting a free gift...
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Saving$ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:33 pm
stimulacra wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:16 am Favorite gift hack from Tiffany:

Thought this was a great idea until I read this below:
cheesepep wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm I bought something from Tiffany a few months ago and as a gift, I received two crystal wine glasses from the company. Quite nice. Going to regift it as I don’t drink.

Now I'd be concerned the recipient thought I was re-gifting a free gift...
Eh, just include the gift receipt. I always do.