Office space

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Annabel Lee

Office space

Post by Annabel Lee »

I’ve made it through 6 months of COVID-induced working from home; though it’s been a challenge with two young kids also learning from home - and playing, eating, screaming, pretending and occasionally fighting from home.

I‘ve generally been working from my kitchen table, living room (Zoom calls) or outside to avoid the noise & distraction and try to achieve some level of focus. Cell service is spotty upstairs in my house and I can still hear my kids. The best option for meetings is outside - this is going to go away as fall and cooler temperatures arrive. I’m generally on calls or Zoom meetings 6+ hours a day.

With this in mind, I’ve done some cursory research into office space rentals here and it seems prohibitively expensive. For example Regus wants $250/month for 5 days of office use; this climbs to $600/month for unlimited use. Local coworking space isn’t much better at $400/month for non-private space.

This seems wildly expensive for what I need... effectively a small private office (10x10) where I can shut a door and get WiFi access & good cell service. Perhaps unrealistic but can I achieve this for $200/month?

Has anyone found a good option to solve for this since the pandemic began?
runner3081

Re: Office space

Post by runner3081 »

Find a local business park and reach out to businesses. I bet many might be willing to offer something.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

Just like anything else in real estate, office rents are dependent on location. $200 seems unrealistic, but you might be able to find a small space for $300-$400/month. It will be demure, older, and subject to road noise. The bathrooms will be small and old, but hopefully clean.

Check out Craigslist. Drive around and look at office complexes. Hone in on older inconspicuous buildings you might not normally notice. You'll be surprised at all the "for lease" signs when you start looking.

Anything <300 sf is tricky to find. 10x10 might be near impossible, but I think you'll find a workable solution if you persist. Lots of buildings offer Internet as an add on which will be cheaper than going directly to the provider.

Consider "executive office suites" as well. These are complexes that provide a common receptionist for the tenants, coffee service, and a copy machine. You'll pay more per sf, but you're more likely to find smaller suites in that type of arrangement.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? DH and I can be on calls in the same room, because we can't hear each other and the microphones are focused enough that they don't pick up the other person.

Have you looked into using your phone through your home wifi?
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Annabel Lee wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:43 pm I’ve made it through 6 months of COVID-induced working from home; though it’s been a challenge with two young kids also learning from home - and playing, eating, screaming, pretending and occasionally fighting from home.

I‘ve generally been working from my kitchen table, living room (Zoom calls) or outside to avoid the noise & distraction and try to achieve some level of focus. Cell service is spotty upstairs in my house and I can still hear my kids. The best option for meetings is outside - this is going to go away as fall and cooler temperatures arrive. I’m generally on calls or Zoom meetings 6+ hours a day.

With this in mind, I’ve done some cursory research into office space rentals here and it seems prohibitively expensive. For example Regus wants $250/month for 5 days of office use; this climbs to $600/month for unlimited use. Local coworking space isn’t much better at $400/month for non-private space.

This seems wildly expensive for what I need... effectively a small private office (10x10) where I can shut a door and get WiFi access & good cell service. Perhaps unrealistic but can I achieve this for $200/month?

Has anyone found a good option to solve for this since the pandemic began?
Those REGUS prices not only don't seem expensive, they sound cheap, no where you are going to get an office for $200 a month for 6+ hours a day 5 days a week.... just cut down on the calls, no one needs to have that many hours of calls a day....
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

One of my friends had an 8x10 shed dropped in his backyard by one of the amish shed companies. After it was in place he added a window and did insulation, drywall, and electrical, and a mini split heat pump from eBay.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

sailaway wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:23 pm Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? DH and I can be on calls in the same room, because we can't hear each other and the microphones are focused enough that they don't pick up the other person.

This. I use wifi calling since there is no reception in my condo.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:17 pm

... just cut down on the calls, no one needs to have that many hours of calls a day....
Not realistic. When I had a lot of calls and declined the meeting invites, my manager told me that declining was not an option.
rob

Post by rob »

Good comms headphone (noise cancel/direct mic)... add VOIP (google voice or similar) so your not on cell signal... Plug in a wire to the router and avoid wifi if you can. Those prices sound good for a real office space....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

$200 seems like a pipe dream no matter where you are. May want to call a handful of local attorneys/CPAs. Many will have an empty office or two, and maybe you make it worth their while by paying 6 months upfront, hoping that we're on the other side of this mess by then
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Like some of what others said, I'd invest on beefing up your home internet and network and get a good headset with noise cancelling. You alluded you have an upstairs but with spotty coverage. Install mesh wifi throughout your house with something like Google wifi. Use either wifi call or Google voice for calls upstairs. If necessary, perhaps even put some noise dampener in the room. All of those will cost less than $200 a month with the advantage you still work from home and don't need to travel to your rented space.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Those REGUS prices not only don't seem expensive, they sound cheap, no where you are going to get an office for $200 a month for 6+ hours a day 5 days a week.... just cut down on the calls, no one needs to have that many hours of calls a day....
LOL! It doesn't work that way. One can get on the chopping block quickly for saying it.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Annabel Lee wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:43 pmThis seems wildly expensive for what I need... effectively a small private office (10x10) where I can shut a door and get WiFi access & good cell service. Perhaps unrealistic but can I achieve this for $200/month?
How much do you make? Say you gross $10K a month. Is the difference between $200 (unrealistic) and $600 an issue? The only places I know of in that size and price range are storage warehouses.

And for what it's worth, I work from home and no way would I spend money for the privilege of paying for and driving to an office, even at $200, when I can do the same thing at home.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

srt7 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:04 pm
LOL! It doesn't work that way. One can get on the chopping block quickly for saying it.
if someone has 6+ hours of calls and meetings, that company has too many managers and not enough do-ers. Meetings and calls are usually the absolute least productive parts of a day, full of presentation and consensus building not any actual work.
Afty

Post by Afty »

A coworker has been renting an Airbnb as a workspace and is quite happy with it.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:48 pm
sailaway wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:23 pm Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? DH and I can be on calls in the same room, because we can't hear each other and the microphones are focused enough that they don't pick up the other person.

This. I use wifi calling since there is no reception in my condo.
+1. Many modern smart phones like Apple and Samsung also have wifi calling options built in that still use your same phone number.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Regus sounds downright affordable!

Just go to Starbucks or a coffee shop or the library. You don't need an office. Offices are for people who actually need to meet clients. Or have a physical permanent address.
Thegame14 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:05 pm
if someone has 6+ hours of calls and meetings, that company has too many managers and not enough do-ers. Meetings and calls are usually the absolute least productive parts of a day, full of presentation and consensus building not any actual work.
Unless they're sales calls. Or customer service calls. Internal calls, yes. I'd agree with that sentiment.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

What about somewhere that isn’t set up as office space and is hurting financially due to Covid, like an event space, church hall, restaurant dining room, library meeting room, or something like that?
DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor »

If you are primarily using Zoom why are you concerned about cell coverage upstairs? Upgrade your internet service if necessary and use your computer audio instead of your cell phone. If you get a lot of calls in/out on your phone - you can set up a service to do so from your computer as well (or use wifi calling on your mobile phone). If your concern is you can still hear your kids - get a binaural headset to block it out. Solving these problems is cheaper than renting a space.
If you need to get out of your house to work efficiently (too easily distracted by chores; unable/unwilling to teach kids not to interrupt work; etc.) that's a different story.
I'd focus on finding solutions to be able to work from home.
Last edited by DaftInvestor on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Any vacant banana stands in your neighborhood? https://arresteddevelopment.fandom.com/ ... nana_Stand
Topic Author
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

Mostly good suggestions in this thread.

Making the mesh WiFi purchase this weekend and carving out some space upstairs vs. going external. At least for now.

Thanks all.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

The white space in my calendar disagrees! Granted, it led to a few awkward interactions and my boss was on my side, but you never know until you try.

I also drop from calls early. 2 hour meeting? Hey, I have a hard stop halfway through, sorry. Can you send a pre-read or something so I can make sure I get you what you need? 80% of the time there's nothing I actually had to react to. The joys of large companies
srt7

Post by srt7 »

MBB_Boy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:57 am
The white space in my calendar disagrees! Granted, it led to a few awkward interactions and my boss was on my side, but you never know until you try.

I also drop from calls early. 2 hour meeting? Hey, I have a hard stop halfway through, sorry. Can you send a pre-read or something so I can make sure I get you what you need? 80% of the time there's nothing I actually had to react to. The joys of large companies
You may never know what you missed out. I guess ignorance IS bliss!
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

With the way things are WeWork must have tons of available space right now. Is there one anywhere near you?