[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bylo Selhi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Capsu78 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:03 pm DW and I finished "The Missing" on Netflix, or maybe Prime. Lots of twists and turns, but liked the characters. Jumps back and forth to different timelines but held our interest through the last minutes.
If you enjoyed that then look for Baptiste. This is essentially Season 3 of The Missing, this time set in Amsterdam.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

JBTX wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:49 pm Finished "The Shield- an FX cop series about 15 years ago. On Hulu. Same writer as Sons of Anarchy. I liked it, but it has similar flavor to SOA. I was glad to finish it, the end was good but the series was becoming a bit tiring.
I should re-watch it, but I imagine watching "The Shield" now is a lot different than when it came out. At the time (2002) it was still early in the "golden age of TV". "Sopranos" and "The Wire" were out, but "The Shield" really felt like something that I'd never seen before, especially coming from basic cable and not HBO. I still think the first season was one of the best things I've ever seen, allowing for time and place. Now, there have been so so so many amazing shows, I would imagine it might not stand up as well.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

"Away" on netflix. Good show, and I love the casting choices for the Mars expedition crew. It's a lot more about human relations than scifi, but very enjoyable on both counts, although I occasionally cringe at the science mistakes.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I just finished "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon Prime. I liked Season 1 and 2 but my interest started waning about halfway through Season 3. That said I kept with it through the end (Season 4) because the acting and sets were all very good. I liked the premise more as alternate history fiction rather than science fiction.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:46 am
Capsu78 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:03 pm DW and I finished "The Missing" on Netflix, or maybe Prime. Lots of twists and turns, but liked the characters. Jumps back and forth to different timelines but held our interest through the last minutes.
If you enjoyed that then look for Baptiste. This is essentially Season 3 of The Missing, this time set in Amsterdam.
Thank you for the info! Will set it up as I enjoyed the European flavor in The Missing almost as much as the plot. Amsterdam is another favorite city of mine.
matti

Post by matti »

I am watching reruns of UFO Hunters today.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:04 am
JBTX wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:49 pm Finished "The Shield- an FX cop series about 15 years ago. On Hulu. Same writer as Sons of Anarchy. I liked it, but it has similar flavor to SOA. I was glad to finish it, the end was good but the series was becoming a bit tiring.
I should re-watch it, but I imagine watching "The Shield" now is a lot different than when it came out. At the time (2002) it was still early in the "golden age of TV". "Sopranos" and "The Wire" were out, but "The Shield" really felt like something that I'd never seen before, especially coming from basic cable and not HBO. I still think the first season was one of the best things I've ever seen, allowing for time and place. Now, there have been so so so many amazing shows, I would imagine it might not stand up as well.
I had only watched a few episodes when it first ran. It still stands on its merits, and is very watchable. But to your point it isn't as ground breaking as 20 years ago. But it did not seem at all dated, except for the phones they used (same with the Wire)
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We've just finished "Endeavour" (the young Inspector Morse).

Many thanks to those who recommended it, because some time ago, we had not liked the first episode, and stopped there.
Because of the comments here, we tried it again, and got hooked :happy

It was fun to realize that in one episode of Season 7 (the last season to date), actor Roger Allam (Fred Thursday) is joined by his real life wife and their son. The latter two play a mother/son pair.
And also fun was the fact that throughout Endeavour, the journalist, Ms Frazil, was played by John Thaw's (original Morse) daughter.

And that leads to... Roger Allam. We both thought that he was an amazing actor. It is really hard to imagine him as "anyone else".
Time to look for more things with Roger Allam!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

DW finished "Bosch" and enjoyed it. I left in season 4 mostly due to the time commitment and I have a number of international shows I'm already watching. Nothing bad about Bosch- it was pretty well developed.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

DW and I also finished "Secrets and Lies" - the Australian original series, not the ABC reboot. Very binge worthy and relatively short.
Keeps you guessing until the end and at one point, the crime could have been committed by any of them!

FYI- a number of the cast members also were involved in "Rake" and "Underbelly"- another couple of other well done series coming out of Oz.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

DW and I also finished "Secrets and Lies" - the Australian original series, not the ABC reboot. Very binge worthy and relatively short.
Keeps you guessing until the end and at one point, the crime could have been committed by any of them!

FYI- a number of the cast members also were involved in "Rake" and "Underbelly"- another couple of other well done series coming out of Oz.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 pm DW and I also finished "Secrets and Lies" - the Australian original series, not the ABC reboot. Very binge worthy and relatively short.

If you enjoyed those shows, check out Wentworth. Now in its 8th season. A much harder edged version of Orange is the New Black. Also Secret City and Jack Irish. Lots of good stuff out of Oz.

Post by 123 »

I thoroughly enjoyed "Ratched" the Netflix (prequel) series (8 episodes) based on the nurse character from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was was just released on Fridahy November 18. Initially set in 1947 it has a "Mad Men" look in terms of capturing the period but since it's set on the California Coast it is not as lush visually as "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal" though the look and production values are excellet. The series focuses on the relationship between Nurse Ratched and a serial killer. You will know by the end of the first episode whether you are "hooked" on the series. While there are murders initially portrayed in the first episode that is not the end to the mayhem in the series. The first season develops the complexity of the main characters and much of the plot has a style similar to a Stephen King novel with exposure of the darkest innermost thoughts and motivations of the characters.

I found it interestig how the writers developed such a rich backstory for Nurse Ratched that the character can stand on her own. Yes there are holes in the plot but when you buy-in to the premise you won't care. I thoroughly enjoyed it watching all 8 episodes in two days.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Spiral" on amazon prime tv. French police procedural (subtitled). Very good show...with a bit of over the top personal drama each season. Six seasons available on prime tv.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

123 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:43 pm I thoroughly enjoyed "Ratched" the Netflix (prequel) series (8 episodes) based on the nurse character from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was was just released on Fridahy November 18. Initially set in 1947 it has a "Mad Men" look in terms of capturing the period but since it's set on the California Coast it is not as lush visually as "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal" though the look and production values are excellet. The series focuses on the relationship between Nurse Ratched and a serial killer. You will know by the end of the first episode whether you are "hooked" on the series. While there are murders initially portrayed in the first episode that is not the end to the mayhem in the series. The first season develops the complexity of the main characters and much of the plot has a style similar to a Stephen King novel with exposure of the darkest innermost thoughts and motivations of the characters.

I found it interestig how the writers developed such a rich backstory for Nurse Ratched that the character can stand on her own. Yes there are holes in the plot but when you buy-in to the premise you won't care. I thoroughly enjoyed it watching all 8 episodes in two days.
You beat me to it! Nice summary overall.

I watched it last night. It's apparently the #1 show on Netflix as of then.

I watched the first episode, and I'm not hooked.

The interiors are amazing, esp at the hospital; checkout the shine on the floors. Much attention to details; clothes, cars, etc. The acting is very good, the story is somewhat improbable, to me at least. I watched to the end of e1 and don't understand? Rather than ask a spoiler here i'll look for an episode summary online. I'll also look because I "recognized" several actors, but couldn't place them.

I'd still suggest taking a look if you saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or want to see one interpretation of the background story. It's worth a look for acting, scenery and interiors, if not for the story.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

^ cinematography reminded me of Dick Tracy. Highly saturated monochromatic colors.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear »

The Black list
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I've watched 3 episodes of "Little Fires Everywhere" on Hulu. I'm hooked.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Mr. Lucky, 1959-1960
Like Peter Gunn, a Blake Edwards production with Henry Mancini music.
  • Staring John Vivyan, an actor I never heard of although he did appear occasionally in several popular shows: Simon & Simon, WKRP in Cincinnati.
  • Co-staring Ross Martin, as sidekick Andamo. He had a much more illustrious career with major roles in The Wild Wild West, Sealab 2020 (1972), Hawaii Five-O (the original), and smaller roles in many other popular shows.
I've just seen one episode and I think it went on for just one season (59-60). From what I can tell so far, Mr. Lucky is a professional gambler who somehow gets gets to avert various evil schemes. A nice time capsule.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Goliath (Amazon). Excellent legal/crime drama starring Billy Bob Thorton from a few years ago.

The Boys (Amazon). Super sleazy and violent super heroes, who you will actually root for to get killed. Homelander might be the most unlikable character ever.

Dark (Netflix). Intellectual thriller from Germany that you need to pay close attention to or be lost.

Looking forward to this Sunday when one of my all time favorites comes back...Fargo season 4 (FX)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Finished British version of Wallendar. Swedish detective. Long episodes and short seasons. Beautiful scenery and deliberately mostlh dreary mood setting. You have episode based themes, and season long themes. Addresses his personal life as well as his professional. Series ends on a bit of a somber note. Definitely recommend. Not a fast based action series, but one that you soak in. Watched on Britbox via Amazon

Also watched on Britbox short series called "a confession". A true story about the murder of two girls, the lead detective, the conviction of the criminal, and a very monumental decision that detective made in a effort to do the right thing that changed the course of the rest of his life. It's worth the watch.

Just finished season 3 of Yellowstone, on paramount TV, in which I had to endure the commercials. Overall the season was very good. I love the scenery and the mood they set in that part of the country. It is a pretty dark show, and you have to just go along with the seemingly improbable mob like behavior of wealthy ranchers and related parties, but otherwise it works. However, speaking of improbable, the season finale ends in a cliff hanger that appears to be utterly ridiculous, but I guess we will find out season 4.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Ramy on Hulu. Absolutely hilarious.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Boys, Season 2, on Amazon prime. I thought the first season was better.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We are on a real roll with some of these British series.

Right now, we are going through "Silk", about a female British barrister and her associates and clients.

The first two episodes were a bit disappointing, but starting with the third, it really picked up, and now we are totally "hooked". :happy

We gave it the extra episodes, after having made a mistake in passing judgment too early on both "Lewis" and "Endeavour". And we are very glad there were more positive reviews here on BH, which is why we gave both of those another try.

We are seeing some of the same actors showing up in these series (not characters; the actors). It's a bit fun to spot them for the first time in another series. (It's not really surprising, just interesting and fun.)

RM
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 am We are seeing some of the same actors showing up in these series (not characters; the actors). It's a bit fun to spot them for the first time in another series. (It's not really surprising, just interesting and fun.)
And if they haven't made it into Midsomer Murders they just haven't made it!

One of my favorite "sightings" was Warren Clarke (The Night of the Stag episode). He was Dalziel in Dalziel and Pascoe. He was also Dim in A Clockwork Orange!

And then there is Honor Blackman (A Talent for Life episode) She was Pussy Galore in Goldfinger).
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 am We are seeing some of the same actors showing up in these series (not characters; the actors). It's a bit fun to spot them for the first time in another series. (It's not really surprising, just interesting and fun.)
My wife and I, based on watching many shows on Britbox,Acorn,and MHz, have formed a theory that there are around 2 dozen British actors.

There are even fewer Scandinavian actors.

They’re all good actors, but sometimes I lose track of which character they are in the current show, leading to considerable confusion (“wait, I thought he was the ex-cop who ...).
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am
My wife and I, based on watching many shows on Britbox,Acorn,and MHz, have formed a theory that there are around 2 dozen British actors.

There are even fewer Scandinavian actors.

They’re all good actors, but sometimes I lose track of which character they are in the current show, leading to considerable confusion (“wait, I thought he was the ex-cop who ...).
Funny choice of example: The actor playing the Endeavour character, who is a police officer, of course, recently showed up in Silk, as a former police officer who is now starting out in law practice. We thought that was a cute backstory.

But yeah, just a handful of actors, but each VERY busy :happy

RM
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We are watching "Tales from the Loop" on Amazon Prime. We are fans of the artist behind the series and have several of his works on our walls and books on our coffee table so I am probably biased by saying that I like the series. I feel like it's a slower, less shocking Black Mirror type of show.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Season 7 of "Black List". The plots just get progressively more ridiculous. The social justice/moral superiority plot lines in a few of the episodes of this season are a little hard to stomach. James Spader is amazing in everything and he is the only reason to watch this series.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The IT Crowd, in Netflix.

This is a British TV series I have started watching, I am into the fourth season. It is a comedy about the 3 person IT department in a closely held corporation. It is juvenile and offensive, so is pretty funny.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Just finished the Netflix documentary series on the Challenger shuttle disaster. Very sad, very frustrating and very informative (at least for me since I didn't know the whole story).
Last edited by MDfan on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

jjunk wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:26 pm Ramy on Hulu. Absolutely hilarious.
Thanks, hadn't heard of it despite some kudos. Youssef received the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Television Series Musical or Comedy in January.

I tried s1e1 last night. Very interesting from a sociological perspective. A young, single, Egyptian-American Muslim man in NJ.

Reminds me, in a way, of Kim's Convenience Store about Korean Canadians, but extremely more graphic. Some laughs, but
no e2 for me.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:31 pm
Thanks, hadn't heard of it despite some kudos. Youssef received the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Television Series Musical or Comedy in January.

I tried s1e1 last night. Very interesting from a sociological perspective. A young, single, Egyptian-American Muslim man in NJ.

Reminds me, in a way, of Kim's Convenience Store about Korean Canadians, but extremely more graphic. Some laughs, but
no e2 for me.
Sounds right up our alley. We enjoyed Kim's Convenience, but wouldn't mind a little more "mature" humor.
RogerWilco

Post by RogerWilco »

Shameless - Netflix
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:35 pm
heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:31 pm

no e2 for me.
Sounds right up our alley. We enjoyed Kim's Convenience, but wouldn't mind a little more "mature" humor.
Definitely more "mature" and has some really weird things going on in S2. Not for everyone but we found it hilarious.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

bertilak wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:59 am
And if they haven't made it into Midsomer Murders they just haven't made it!

One of my favorite "sightings" was Warren Clarke (The Night of the Stag episode). He was Dalziel in Dalziel and Pascoe. He was also Dim in A Clockwork Orange!

And then there is Honor Blackman (A Talent for Life episode) She was Pussy Galore in Goldfinger).
I loved Midsomer Murders. And it was no surprise to me that Honor Blackman was outstanding as a sexy septuagenarian!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:28 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 pm DW and I also finished "Secrets and Lies" - the Australian original series, not the ABC reboot. Very binge worthy and relatively short.

If you enjoyed those shows, check out Wentworth. Now in its 8th season. A much harder edged version of Orange is the New Black. Also Secret City and Jack Irish. Lots of good stuff out of Oz.
Wentworth, on Netflix. "Much harder edge" would be a good way to put it. This series won a lot of awards and I can see why. I'll keep watching.

Orange is the New Black is the reason I started watching Netflix in the first place.

As for The Boys Season 2, I got bored and stopped watching after 4 episodes. The super hero aspect wears off quickly when the plot doesn't hold your interest.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Wanted to watch something funny and light hearted. DW started watching "Shichts Creek". OMG, this show is funny, witty and well done. While it is Adult content, it contains no nudity, violence or vulgar language (don't get me wrong, I have no issue with this type of entertainment and often enjoy the occasional shot'em up movie - i.e. John Wick, but right now not in the mood for this). We're about 6 episodes in and will continue binge watching this one. :beer
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Started Schitt'$ Creek a couple of weeks before the Emmy's and have binges washed for the first time on several occasions since. Can watch an episode in about 21", and is fast paced, somewhat subtle and has excellent casting. Interesting in that Eugene Levy may be known, but his son, Dan, conceptualized and acts in the show, as does his sister. Catherine O'Hara is well known and brilliant, with Eugene being her foil.

Tim
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

heartwood wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:20 pm
123 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:43 pm I thoroughly enjoyed "Ratched" the Netflix (prequel) series (8 episodes) based on the nurse character from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was was just released on Fridahy November 18. Initially set in 1947 it has a "Mad Men" look in terms of capturing the period but since it's set on the California Coast it is not as lush visually as "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal" though the look and production values are excellet. The series focuses on the relationship between Nurse Ratched and a serial killer. You will know by the end of the first episode whether you are "hooked" on the series. While there are murders initially portrayed in the first episode that is not the end to the mayhem in the series. The first season develops the complexity of the main characters and much of the plot has a style similar to a Stephen King novel with exposure of the darkest innermost thoughts and motivations of the characters.

You beat me to it! Nice summary overall.

I watched it last night. It's apparently the #1 show on Netflix as of then.

I watched the first episode, and I'm not hooked.

The interiors are amazing, esp at the hospital; checkout the shine on the floors. Much attention to details; clothes, cars, etc. The acting is very good, the story is somewhat improbable, to me at least. I watched to the end of e1 and don't understand? Rather than ask a spoiler here i'll look for an episode summary online. I'll also look because I "recognized" several actors, but couldn't place them.

I'd still suggest taking a look if you saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or want to see one interpretation of the background story. It's worth a look for acting, scenery and interiors, if not for the story.

Not a fan of Ryan Murphy's style so I doubt I'll watch Ratched. Most new shows that are somewhat hyped end up in Netflix's top 10 list for a little while. Doesn't mean they're any good. I think I watched one season of American Horror Story and was not impressed. And I did not like Hollywood on Netflix. Made it through about 2 episodes.
Last edited by MDfan on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 am Wanted to watch something funny and light hearted. DW started watching "Shichts Creek". OMG, this show is funny, witty and well done. While it is Adult content, it contains no nudity, violence or vulgar language (don't get me wrong, I have no issue with this type of entertainment and often enjoy the occasional shot'em up movie - i.e. John Wick, but right now not in the mood for this). We're about 6 episodes in and will continue binge watching this one. :beer
Make it through the first season and Schitt's Creek is one of the best TV comedies in quite some time. The show really hits its stride in Season 2.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I wish I could travel. I've been working my way down this list:

https://www.iheartbritishtv.com/70-deli ... ime-video/

I love the word "delightful" in describing these shows. My life could certainly use more delight right now.

So far I have watched:

Seasons 7 to 10 of Rick Steve's Europe
Seasons 1 to 3 of Walking Through History
My Welsh Sheepdog (3 episodes)

All highly recommended. "My Welsh Sheepdog" is especially delightful.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MDfan wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:05 am
AllMostThere wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 am Wanted to watch something funny and light hearted. DW started watching "Shichts Creek". OMG, this show is funny, witty and well done. While it is Adult content, it contains no nudity, violence or vulgar language (don't get me wrong, I have no issue with this type of entertainment and often enjoy the occasional shot'em up movie - i.e. John Wick, but right now not in the mood for this). We're about 6 episodes in and will continue binge watching this one. :beer
Make it through the first season and Schitt's Creek is one of the best TV comedies in quite some time. The show really hits its stride in Season 2.
One of the few times that I actually agree with critics. Fantastic show.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

+1

Excellent character development and story lines. Actors are superb. I heard the last season (6) will be on Netflix in early October. Previously, it was for sale on Amazon Prime. :happy
batpot

Post by batpot »

Watching HD DVRs of Fargo Season 2.
Some of the best television ever made.
Looking forward to Season 4...just aired!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Heads up - Season 8 of Wentworth (Netflix) starts on Wednesday, September 30.

I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, so I have a ways to go.
batpot

Post by batpot »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm Heads up - Season 8 of Wentworth (Netflix) starts on Wednesday, September 30.

I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, so I have a ways to go.
Blue is the new Orange is the new Black?
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Also watched the Netflix series on the Challenger disaster. I do not recall being aware of the post accident investigation...probably due to having a new born son.

The past 3 weeks we have been watching Schitts Creek....absolutely a great comedy, with splashes of excellent serious moments. We are in Season 4...not looking forward to running out the series. One of the best shows ever, in my opinion....at least comedy.

Ed
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, so I have a ways to go.
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait for Season 2 and the arrival of "The Freak."