New Chase Card and Changes to Two Current Cards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Bibliothikarios

New Chase Card and Changes to Two Current Cards

Post by Bibliothikarios »

New Chase card and some changes to two of the current cards.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-freedom-flex-intro/
atdharris

Re: New Chase Card and Changes to Two Current Cards

Post by atdharris »

This is odd. The Freedom/Freedom unlimited now earn more on dining than the $95 Sapphire Preferred. Either Chase is about to get rid of it, or there must be changes coming to it as well. There is no reason to carry the card otherwise.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I am planning to do a product change from Visa Freedom to MC Freedom as soon as it becomes available. Note that CSP and CSR don't have foreign exchange fees, and Freedom(s) do.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
student

Post by student »

This makes me less likely to renew my CSR.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:43 am I am planning to do a product change from Visa Freedom to MC Freedom as soon as it becomes available. Note that CSP and CSR don't have foreign exchange fees, and Freedom(s) do.

Victoria
If you do a product change, you likely won't get all those awesome bonuses mentioned in the article (this has been my experience), just FYI
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

atdharris wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:51 am This is odd. The Freedom/Freedom unlimited now earn more on dining than the $95 Sapphire Preferred. Either Chase is about to get rid of it, or there must be changes coming to it as well. There is no reason to carry the card otherwise.
Unless you value the ability to transfer to travel partners. Redeeming for trans-atlantic and trans-pacific business class flights is my main redemption so having the CSR or CSP is still important.
drk

Post by drk »

These changes are awesome and will actually get the Freedom cards back into my wallet.
nalor511 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:11 pm If you do a product change, you likely won't get all those awesome bonuses mentioned in the article (this has been my experience), just FYI
Aside from people with very low monthly spending, the $200 for $500 bonus isn't really worth a 5/24 slot.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

OnceARunner wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:18 pm
atdharris wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:51 am This is odd. The Freedom/Freedom unlimited now earn more on dining than the $95 Sapphire Preferred. Either Chase is about to get rid of it, or there must be changes coming to it as well. There is no reason to carry the card otherwise.
Unless you value the ability to transfer to travel partners. Redeeming for trans-atlantic and trans-pacific business class flights is my main redemption so having the CSR or CSP is still important.
It's a matter of when I will get back into the skies again. Right now, it certainly is not worth $95/year to have the ability to transfer points. But that's all the CSP is good for now.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

drk wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:22 pm These changes are awesome and will actually get the Freedom cards back into my wallet.
nalor511 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:11 pm If you do a product change, you likely won't get all those awesome bonuses mentioned in the article (this has been my experience), just FYI
Aside from people with very low monthly spending, the $200 for $500 bonus isn't really worth a 5/24 slot.
There's also 5% on up to $12k grocery first year, not sure if you'd get that as a product change or not, because it's phrased as part of a welcome bonus. That's an additional $360 over a 2% card, or an additional $72 over amex bcp (after factoring in the bcp's annual fee). On top of the $200 you already mentioned. *shrug*
drk

Post by drk »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:16 pm There's also 5% on up to $12k grocery first year, not sure if you'd get that as a product change or not, because it's phrased as part of a welcome bonus. That's an additional $360 over a 2% card, or an additional $72 over amex bcp (after factoring in the bcp's annual fee). On top of the $200 you already mentioned. *shrug*
:oops: I missed the grocery spending bonus. Yes, you're right about not getting that on a product change, and it would certainly change the 5/24 equation.
student

Post by student »

Chase Flex is taking applications. Anyone one interested? It is tempting but I need to unlock/unfreeze credit report, and I have difficulty doing it for Experian.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I have until January to cancel my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and will likely do so if nothing changes.

I have the original Freedom card and will just convert it to either the Unlimited or Flex.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Chase has just increased the CSP enrollment bonus to 80k. I posted about it here, viewtopic.php?p=5496199#p5496199 . The CSP bonus may change preferences for those close to 5/24.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
batpot

Post by batpot »

Have been using Citi Double Cash with Citi Premier for airline miles.
With the pandemic, those are not much value...
Been sitting on a Freedom Unlimited card, so going to start using it again for restaurants, and maybe start up the premier again when we can start using the miles.
That being said, Freedom is now equivalent to the Citi Costco card.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

simplesimon wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am I have until January to cancel my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and will likely do so if nothing changes.

I have the original Freedom card and will just convert it to either the Unlimited or Flex.
I have CSP which I've been planning to cancel before second yr's $95 fee hits (got it for the sign up bonus, not big travelers even pre-COVID, doesn't justify $95 annually) and Freedom. But since the doctor of credit article mentions a $200 bonus to sign up for Flex, I think I will do that if possible rather than convert the Freedom which presumably doesn't get the bonus.