Retirement home Job opportunity for teenager / pros cons

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GingerU

Retirement home Job opportunity for teenager / pros cons

Post by GingerU »

A teen in my family wants to take a job delivering meals On trays to residents in a care home. Residents in the care home are fairly mobile its more of assisted living. The job pays just slightly better than minimum wage. They want the job because some of their friends work there and with all school online it seems to them like an opportunity to do something with their hands. This teen has never held a formal job except babysitting and others to get an allowance so they feel this is their opportunity to do this before college. I’m against it for the health care risk and idea that they have to get tested every week for COVID (paid by the job). Teenager does live with an elderly grandparent. What would you say to them? Pros and cons? Am I over concerned?
bloom2708

Re: Retirement home Job opportunity for teenager / pros cons

Post by bloom2708 »

My niece has this job and has done it all through the Covid.

They wear masks, wash hands often, contact is quite short, the work is pretty enjoyable.

I'd say a great job for a teenager.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Any delivery job will require that the car being used is insured under a commercial policy. Chances are about 100% that the job will not pay for the added insurance plus gas. So if you want him to have the experience of working, that's fine. But overall, as a family, it will cost you money.....not make a dime.

If the job provides the car that is properly insured, then sure. It will give him exposure to what it's like to work.

I can tell you that in a recent accident and car repair, the first question on the accident report was "was the car ever used for delivery or ride sharing?". If the answer is "yes", then the insurance coverage goes to state minimum with no collision or comp insurance without commercial insurance. In my state, that's $5k liability total.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am Any delivery job will require that the car being used is insured under a commercial policy. Chances are about 100% that the job will not pay for the added insurance plus gas. So if you want him to have the experience of working, that's fine. But overall, as a family, it will cost you money.....not make a dime.
This is in a care home, probably pushing a trolley...
student

Post by student »

GingerU wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 am I’m against it for the health care risk and idea that they have to get tested every week for COVID (paid by the job). Teenager does live with an elderly grandparent.
I agree with you. It is not worth taking the risk.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Is the teen in an area with low or high COVID test positivity?
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

student wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 am
GingerU wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 am I’m against it for the health care risk and idea that they have to get tested every week for COVID (paid by the job). Teenager does live with an elderly grandparent.
Curious how this is a risk to a teen? In my opinion, the risk is the other way around. If teen casually socializes with friends then he might be the risk to the elderly living in the care home. And he should understand how his social life could impact the people he works with and understand that is a very big responsibility.
Last edited by campy2010 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

GingerU wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 am Teenager does live with an elderly grandparent. What would you say to them? Pros and cons? Am I over concerned?
Sounds like this proposition is much riskier for the elderly grandparent than for the teenager.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Not worth the health risk, especially if they become infected and infect other friends and family members before realizing they themselves are infected.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This is a great job and I recommend that your daughter gets this job. The world is full of risks, some worse than others. I see this as minimal risk as long as you don't give your daughter covid-19 because of your own risky behavior.

There are so many positives to this job that risks pale in comparison. I think the biggest risk is from the food service workers not from the resident nor her friends.

Full disclosure: I worked in a hospital when I was younger. After that job I worked in food service. My son works for a hospital now and comes into contact daily with teenagers. Teachers work in schools now.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

campy2010 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am
Curious how this is a risk to a teen? In my opinion, the risk is the other way around. If teen casually socializes with friends then he might be the risk to the elderly living in the care home. And he should understand how his social life could impact the people he works with and understand that is a very big responsibility.
It’s high risk for the grandparent the teen lives with... :oops:
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

livesoft wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:06 am This is a great job and I recommend that your daughter gets this job. The world is full of risks, some worse than others. I see this as minimal risk as long as you don't give your daughter covid-19 because of your own risky behavior.

There are so many positives to this job that risks pale in comparison. I think the biggest risk is from the food service workers not from the resident nor her friends.

Full disclosure: I worked in a hospital when I was younger. After that job I worked in food service. My son works for a hospital now and comes into contact daily with teenagers. Teachers work in schools now.
Agreed. The teenager seems at much lower risk doing this job than something like cashier in a supermarket. The care facilities in most areas remain pretty locked down.

She is higher risk to the residents and her grandparent than the other way around!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

GreendaleCC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am It’s high risk for the grandparent the teen lives with... :oops:
What about all the other things the teenager is doing that are higher risk for the grandparent? At least the time spent at the job is better controlled and has more PPE.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
student

Post by student »

campy2010 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am
The risk is not limited to the teen, also to the elderly grandparent. The teen also should casually socializes with friends. Stay home and keep social activities to the most essential.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

If the teenager already socializes in person with the friends that work there, the increased risk is minimal. From a job perspective, I would argue there are better ones out there both in experience and pay. What industry does the teenager want to go into?
Watty

Post by Watty »

GingerU wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 am They want the job because some of their friends work there and with all school online it seems to them like an opportunity to do something with their hands.
This is likely a lot bigger risk than the contact with the residents. With pretty much any job I had as a teenage there was a tendency to go out with coworkers after work even if it was to just hang out in a parking lot.
GingerU wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 am What would you say to them?
When they pick up the trays after a meal be sure to carefully check to make sure that there are no dentures on the tray. :D

I worked in a nursing home several summers when I was in college including in the kitchen washing dishes. There were a couple of times when we would have to look through the trash looking for someone's dentures. That is not as bad as it sounds though since there were separate trash cans in the dishwashing area so we did not have to look in the dumpster if they reported the missing dentures in a few hours. It has been a long time but as I recall at least once we found them.

More seriously though a big question is how that compares to what they would be doing instead of working at that job if he or she does not take it.

In normal times working at a nursing home was a good experience for me though because;

1) Many of the workers there were not high school or college students and seeing people in who were just a few years older than me in their early 20's with few prospects who are working in jobs like housekeepers, aids, etc was an eye opener for a teenager who lived a somewhat sheltered life.

2) I have posted about this before. Most of the residents were elderly except for one guy who was in his 30s. He had tried to save money by putting on his own roof but he fell off and was now a quadriplegic. Seeing that as a teenager stuck with me and to this day I have no problem paying someone with the right skills and equipment to do any risky work around my house.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I think you are over concerned. Work experience is great for a teen, and this job is as safe as any a teen with absolutely no experience is likely to get. I would argue this one is a whole lot safer than other entry level jobs with no experience or education requirements - restaurant, retail, etc.

If not, how long are you planning to keep them isolated and sheltered?
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

I'd say go for it. But this is coming from a guy who plays tennis (group drills, doubles, singles) 4-5 times a week. So I have not been overly cautious like a lot of people.

Good to get the teen some work experience while able.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

livesoft wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am
GreendaleCC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am It’s high risk for the grandparent the teen lives with... :oops:
What about all the other things the teenager is doing that are higher risk for the grandparent? At least the time spent at the job is better controlled and has more PPE.
You’re right. The risks associated with general carelessness are probably greater.