Stock-tracking app

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
mikejuss
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Stock-tracking app

Post by mikejuss »

Hi, all.

Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 6410
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
nix4me
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by nix4me »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
Guy asked for an app, not to be scolded for your beliefs.

I use my Fidelity app as it allows me to set notifications on stock prices. I go into the watch list then click +Alert. Does exactly what your asking for.
Most finance sites like Yahoo Finance will allow you to setup watch lists and in turn email notifications.
Last edited by nix4me on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
mikejuss
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by mikejuss »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
nix4me
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by nix4me »

The Schwab and TD Ameritrade sites and apps will send notifications as well.
You could also set up limit orders to buy on certain prices automatically.
What platform are you using to buy stocks?
codoriti
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by codoriti »

- Investing.com
- Seeking Alpha
Topic Author
mikejuss
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by mikejuss »

codoriti wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:54 pm - Investing.com
- Seeking Alpha
Thanks!
User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 6410
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
then I wouldn't have given the answer I did.

but s/he didn't ask for notification when an index goes up or down by a certain percentage.

s/he asked:
Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
a stock is not an index fund. an index fund is not a stock.

different things.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
Topic Author
mikejuss
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by mikejuss »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
then I wouldn't have given the answer I did.

but s/he didn't ask for notification when an index goes up or down by a certain percentage.

s/he asked:
Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
a stock is not an index fund. an index fund is not a stock.

different things.
My apologies for that mistake.

A related question: how does one know how much he or she is paying for a unit of VTSAX? When I ask to buy more VTSAX, I'm prompted to enter a dollar amount, but not given any information on the number of units that particular amount buys.
User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 6410
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
then I wouldn't have given the answer I did.

but s/he didn't ask for notification when an index goes up or down by a certain percentage.

s/he asked:
Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
a stock is not an index fund. an index fund is not a stock.

different things.
My apologies for that mistake.

A related question: how does one know how much he or she is paying for a unit of VTSAX? When I ask to buy more VTSAX, I'm prompted to enter a dollar amount, but not given any information on the number of units that particular amount buys.
you get the number of shares based on the amount of money you invest divided by the NAV which isn't determined until the market closes (but you'd have to make a purchase prior to 4 p.m. to get that day's ending NAV).

Google is showing VTSAX price $84.42 (I honestly don't know if that's the price as of open today (Friday's close NAV) or today's close NAV. But let's say it's the close of today and you invested $200 in vtsax before 4 p.m. today.

you'd get 2.369 shares ($200 / $84.42).

if you buy the ETF you have to have the actual money required to buy a certain amount of shares (unless able to buy fractional ETF shares). So if you wanted to invest $200 in VTI, you couldn't. You'd have to buy (assuming shares of VTI right now are $168.58/share) :

1 share totaling $168.58 or
2 shares totaling $337.16
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
mikemagz11
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:37 pm
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by mikemagz11 »

I use Stockmaster which is pretty good
Topic Author
mikejuss
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by mikejuss »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:51 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
then I wouldn't have given the answer I did.

but s/he didn't ask for notification when an index goes up or down by a certain percentage.

s/he asked:
Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
a stock is not an index fund. an index fund is not a stock.

different things.
My apologies for that mistake.

A related question: how does one know how much he or she is paying for a unit of VTSAX? When I ask to buy more VTSAX, I'm prompted to enter a dollar amount, but not given any information on the number of units that particular amount buys.
you get the number of shares based on the amount of money you invest divided by the NAV which isn't determined until the market closes (but you'd have to make a purchase prior to 4 p.m. to get that day's ending NAV).

Google is showing VTSAX price $84.42 (I honestly don't know if that's the price as of open today (Friday's close NAV) or today's close NAV. But let's say it's the close of today and you invested $200 in vtsax before 4 p.m. today.

you'd get 2.369 shares ($200 / $84.42).
Thank you.

The scenario you suggest is odd: in order to lock in an end-of-day NAV price, I would need to purchase the units before 4 p.m. But that NAV price isn't actually determined until after 4 p.m.; for example, the current NAV price ($84.42) is from last Friday.

Vanguard should be clearer about just how many units one is buying.
Last edited by mikejuss on Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nix4me
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by nix4me »

ETFs are more straightforward with pricing and real time data. Use VTI instead of VTSAX.
User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 6410
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:54 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:51 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm

I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
then I wouldn't have given the answer I did.

but s/he didn't ask for notification when an index goes up or down by a certain percentage.

s/he asked:
Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
a stock is not an index fund. an index fund is not a stock.

different things.
My apologies for that mistake.

A related question: how does one know how much he or she is paying for a unit of VTSAX? When I ask to buy more VTSAX, I'm prompted to enter a dollar amount, but not given any information on the number of units that particular amount buys.
you get the number of shares based on the amount of money you invest divided by the NAV which isn't determined until the market closes (but you'd have to make a purchase prior to 4 p.m. to get that day's ending NAV).

Google is showing VTSAX price $84.42 (I honestly don't know if that's the price as of open today (Friday's close NAV) or today's close NAV. But let's say it's the close of today and you invested $200 in vtsax before 4 p.m. today.

you'd get 2.369 shares ($200 / $84.42).
Thank you. The NAV I'm seeing ($84.42) is from last Friday; I suppose it takes a little while after closing time to update. It's peculiar, though, that Vanguard doesn't actually tell you the number of units you're buying.
you can't know because you're buying before 4 p.m. in order to get that day's close. But the day's closing NAV isn't known at 4 oclock as you see. It's only known later after everything settles out.

If you buy now (after 4 pm.) on 9/8/2020 you're not going to get the NAV that settles in a couple hours for today. You'll be buying at whatever the price of the NAV is as of 4 p.m. TOMORROW 9/9/2020 (after tomorrow's close).

so there's no way to know (with a fund) how many shares you're buying.

you can know that with an ETF, which is why some prefer that.

I don't think it matters per se, when you are buying shares over your lifetime.

Does a difference in share price today vs tomorrow going to have an enormous impact overall? No.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
Topic Author
mikejuss
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by mikejuss »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:58 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:54 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:51 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm
then I wouldn't have given the answer I did.

but s/he didn't ask for notification when an index goes up or down by a certain percentage.

s/he asked:



a stock is not an index fund. an index fund is not a stock.

different things.
My apologies for that mistake.

A related question: how does one know how much he or she is paying for a unit of VTSAX? When I ask to buy more VTSAX, I'm prompted to enter a dollar amount, but not given any information on the number of units that particular amount buys.
you get the number of shares based on the amount of money you invest divided by the NAV which isn't determined until the market closes (but you'd have to make a purchase prior to 4 p.m. to get that day's ending NAV).

Google is showing VTSAX price $84.42 (I honestly don't know if that's the price as of open today (Friday's close NAV) or today's close NAV. But let's say it's the close of today and you invested $200 in vtsax before 4 p.m. today.

you'd get 2.369 shares ($200 / $84.42).
Thank you. The NAV I'm seeing ($84.42) is from last Friday; I suppose it takes a little while after closing time to update. It's peculiar, though, that Vanguard doesn't actually tell you the number of units you're buying.
you can't know because you're buying before 4 p.m. in order to get that day's close. But the day's closing NAV isn't known at 4 oclock as you see. It's only known later after everything settles out.

If you buy now (after 4 pm.) on 9/8/2020 you're not going to get the NAV that settles in a couple hours for today. You'll be buying at whatever the price of the NAV is as of 4 p.m. TOMORROW 9/9/2020 (after tomorrow's close).

so there's no way to know (with a fund) how many shares you're buying.

you can know that with an ETF, which is why some prefer that.

I don't think it matters per se, when you are buying shares over your lifetime.

Does a difference in share price today vs tomorrow going to have an enormous impact overall? No.
Thanks.
livesoft
Posts: 73468
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by livesoft »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:33 pm Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
vanguard.com
tdameritrade.com
wellstrade.com
fidelity.com
... just about all brokerages do this I think. I don't know who your broker is, but you should change if they do not do this for you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
000
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 am

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by 000 »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
If you have a discount in mind, wouldn't a GTC limit order achieve this better?
ColoRetiredGirl
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by ColoRetiredGirl »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm
mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
I hear you--but suppose I wanted to set up a notification for VTSAX in order to buy more of it at a discount (apart from making regular, automated contributions to my portfolio)?
then I wouldn't have given the answer I did.

but s/he didn't ask for notification when an index goes up or down by a certain percentage.

s/he asked:
Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
a stock is not an index fund. an index fund is not a stock.

different things.
Does it really matter stock versus mutual fund versus ETF? Apps work for all three. I am sure you didn’t mean to scold the Op but...
annu
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by annu »

stockwits, https://stocktwits.com/. The have app for Android and iOS.
They let you create watchlist, and also notifications come up based on your watchlist.

And you can use it for tracking index funds as well as individual stocks :twisted:
bogledogle
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by bogledogle »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:12 pm
9liner wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:18 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
Cool story. Next time you have nothing helpful to contribute, feel free to scroll along. We can all do without your snarky remarks.

To the OP:

I’m not sure what OS you’re using, but if you’re looking for an iOS app, head to the App Store and search for “stock alerts”. The search should return a ton of useful apps which provide exactly what you’re looking for.
i think those links were extraordinarily helpful.

there seem to be a lot of new people asking about individual stocks, so I'd assume they haven't read the links I've provided. William Sharpe is a very smart and experienced man and a nobel laureate to boot. Not sure why you'd think he doesn't have anything to offer in the two links I provided above.

Bogleheads isn't a stock picking forum, but it seems people posting these days don't know that. I don't think they're reading the philosophy of bogleheads first: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy

sometimes information that is posted for one person can be read by many others...even if the original poster doesn't. this post has received 17 comments...yet it's been viewed 479 times. I suspect some of those people have been helped by the links I've provided. You just never know.

As for snark, the way I look at it is if you're so certain in your belief, for instance, that individual stocks are the way to go...it shouldn't matter what (or how) I say. You can be confident in your convictions and my words should have no effect. Perhaps if one takes offense to my calling stock jobbing inferior, then deep down you know there's kernels of truth in what I say. Otherwise it wouldn't bother you.
Sounds like you are having a bad day. Take a chill pill.

I was one of the 479 who viewed the thread and did not reply because your comment was the first I read and it was so toxic that I didn't want to be a part of the thread.
nix4me
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by nix4me »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:12 pm
9liner wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:18 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm no because I don't buy individual stocks. I own the market. why are you owning individual stocks? Do you think you know more than the market? If 80% of mutual fund managers don't beat the market every year, what makes you think you will?

have you read (and understood) this:
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/ ... active.htm
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2900447
https://www.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

William Sharpe, Nobel laureate says the three most important rules in investing are: Diversification, diversification, diversification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXab7pFUfjY

buying individual stocks is the opposite of diversification.
Cool story. Next time you have nothing helpful to contribute, feel free to scroll along. We can all do without your snarky remarks.

To the OP:

I’m not sure what OS you’re using, but if you’re looking for an iOS app, head to the App Store and search for “stock alerts”. The search should return a ton of useful apps which provide exactly what you’re looking for.
i think those links were extraordinarily helpful.

there seem to be a lot of new people asking about individual stocks, so I'd assume they haven't read the links I've provided. William Sharpe is a very smart and experienced man and a nobel laureate to boot. Not sure why you'd think he doesn't have anything to offer in the two links I provided above.

Bogleheads isn't a stock picking forum, but it seems people posting these days don't know that. I don't think they're reading the philosophy of bogleheads first: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy

sometimes information that is posted for one person can be read by many others...even if the original poster doesn't. this post has received 17 comments...yet it's been viewed 479 times. I suspect some of those people have been helped by the links I've provided. You just never know.

As for snark, the way I look at it is if you're so certain in your belief, for instance, that individual stocks are the way to go...it shouldn't matter what (or how) I say. You can be confident in your convictions and my words should have no effect. Perhaps if one takes offense to my calling stock jobbing inferior, then deep down you know there's kernels of truth in what I say. Otherwise it wouldn't bother you.
The way i look at it is none of your comments answer the question or are relevant to the topic. Bogleheads (and this board specifically "Personal Investments") is about all types of investments. Not just what you deem investments.
Target2019
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:30 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by Target2019 »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:33 pm Hi, all.

Does anyone know of an app or a website that will notify you when a stock goes up or down by a certain percentage?
That is certainly a feature that your trading platform app could/should provide.

For MF|ETF|Stock I could also do a quick calculation and set up my Buy at the limit.

There are investors who "buy the dip" and that is probably a good description of your question.
langlands
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by langlands »

Apparently Warren Buffett, who buys individual stocks and recently bought a gold miner, is in fact a degenerate speculator and not one of the greatest investors of all time.
User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 6410
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Retail traders make up nearly 25% of the stock market following COVID-driven volatility, Citadel Securities says.

The group made up just 10% of the market in 2019. The proportion steadily climbed as brokers slashed commission fees and the pandemic fueled violent price swings.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1029382035#
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Stock-tracking app

Post by Flyer24 »

Let's stick with the OP's question please and not go off-topic.
Post Reply