How to effectively complain to UPS?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gigihsu

How to effectively complain to UPS?

Post by Gigihsu »

I have 5 UPS packages that were supposed to be delivered but never showed up (3 in one day)!. I have a security camera in the front so I know the packages are not stolen by strangers. In the meantime, packages delivered by Fedex, USPS, and Amazon logistics all arrived. UPS probably delivered my packages to a wrong address.

Every time, I called UPS within 5 minutes of the supposed delivery time when I saw the tracking information. After transferring around, I was told that I could only ask the merchant to file a claim. I was hoping the customer service could contact the driver to double check. Obviously they couldn't.

I suspect they might have a new or careless driver on my route because sometimes my UPS packages did arrive. I really hope UPS would review the delivery GPS data and make sure the same mistakes won't happen again (or retrieve my mis-delivered packages). However, I can't get anyone at UPS to resolve the issues. I e-mailed the corporate, and I called my local distribution center. Every time I was told to contact the merchants for a refund.

I am at my wits' end. I just want my packages to show up on time, however, UPS doesn't seem to understand. Any Advice?
Kenkat

Re: How to effectively complain to UPS?

Post by Kenkat »

Are you saying that UPS tracking shows them as delivered but you never got them?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Call your merchants. Don't select UPS as the shipping option if you can make your own choice.

Follow the UPS truck around while taking a video.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Gigihsu

Post by Gigihsu »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm Are you saying that UPS tracking shows them as delivered but you never got them?
Yes. The online tracking said they were delivered at certain time, but no one came to my door at that time. I was practically staring at my front door whenever I knew there was a UPS package coming,
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

How similar is your address to something else? I know someone who had many of their packages delivered to the same address in another ZIP code.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Have you checked with your neighbors? Since you have doorbell footage to review, did a UPS truck go past your house around then?

One batch of my amazon packages were delivered to my neighbor last month. I only knew because amazon sent an email photo of the packages on a front step that didn't look like mine, asking how delivery was. They were off by one house in that instance. UPS doesn't do the photo thing, but it's just an example. Sorry I don't know a better way to get a resolution from UPS. The sending merchant might be able to get somewhere with them, though.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I can't help you, but I can tell you I had the exact same problem with FedEx. I find this disturbing because I believe they have the technology to tell you exactly where your package was when the driver scanned it as "delivered", yet they won't share it with you, or, it seems, use it themselves to find the package or determine if a driver is incompetent or dishonest. In fact, they seem totally uninterested. They could solve a LOT of problems simply by including the GPS coordinates in the email you get when a package is declared "delivered". What would be the downside?
texasgal47

Post by texasgal47 »

About 8 years ago I had UPS deliver to the wrong address a very large $6000 commissioned oil painting by an artist on Maui. It was correctly addressed and packaged in a custom wooden crate. After 5 p.m when I realized that it had been "delivered" but not to me, I walked up and down my block and found it outside of a residence about 6 houses down .......extremely lucky.
Last month a package containing a new HP Tower was delivered on a day it was not scheduled, and dropped over a 6 ft. high gate when I was to sign for it. , too,I would love to know how to get a meaningful response from my local post office. OP, you really have my sympathy. Hopefully the mail carrier can recall where your packages were delivered. Did you try leaving a note regarding these packages on the mailbox of your neighbors on your block?
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

OP, were these packages shipped via the slowest possible method of UPS-Mail Innovations where they ultimately get transferred to USPS for final delivery? I have had several packages recently transferred to USPS when they hit my local UPS hub. I have found that once the package is transferred to USPS, it becomes a mystery of where they are and when they get delivered. Tracking basically become useless with zero method of obtaining information. They usually show up ~ 2 weeks later after you have come to conclusion of passages being lost! While I'm sure UPS-Mail Innovations saves the shipper money it is a horrible product for the end customer.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

1) The shipper is the customer for delivery services. If you can't quickly get satisfaction from the delivery service, contact the person or company that sent you the item.

2) There are horror stories for all of them. If you go by online reviews, including here, you'd think nothing was ever delivered correctly by anyone.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Do contact the shipper as suggested. I used to have some knowledge of UPS workings. They were doing a whole lot of what is probably called data analytics now before anyone else was. I suspect that the way they become aware of a problem is based on the number of claims on a given driver’s route. It is unfortunate that it is hard to get to the solution more directly.

Have you spoken to the UPS distribution center for your area? When I have been waiting for a package requiring a signature, I have found that they will tell me within an hour or two window when to expect it. Maybe, wait on your front porch/stoop/lawn for it?
mega317

Post by mega317 »

What do you mean by effectively? Complaining isn't going to make your packages appear. Knock on doors.

Meditation?

I did once have a package delivered to an apartment building down the street from mine. They sent the driver back but couldn't figure it out. I think that was Fedex about 10 years ago. I walked into the buildings on my street and found it in a pile of mail in one lobby. Lucky.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
Chip

Post by Chip »

livesoft wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:20 pm Follow the UPS truck around while taking a video.
A few months ago we were notified of an incoming UPS wine shipment that required a signature so made sure to stay home all day. At about 4 pm my wife got an email saying "we couldn't deliver your package since you weren't home". The doorbell didn't ring and there wasn't a tag on the door.

She jumped in the car and chased down the UPS truck, got our shipment and gave the driver a piece of her mind.

My theory is that the driver was running behind schedule and marked us as "not home" to save time and get back on schedule. We have a long driveway making package delivery a bit time-consuming for the driver.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

^ sheesh

If you've ever read about these jobs and how drivers are treated, I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff happens more than we think. I'll have to track down this former sportswriter, maybe for SI, who was laid off and became a delivery driver briefly. Compelling article.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 am OP, were these packages shipped via the slowest possible method of UPS-Mail Innovations where they ultimately get transferred to USPS for final delivery? I have had several packages recently transferred to USPS when they hit my local UPS hub. I have found that once the package is transferred to USPS, it becomes a mystery of where they are and when they get delivered. Tracking basically become useless with zero method of obtaining information. They usually show up ~ 2 weeks later after you have come to conclusion of passages being lost! While I'm sure UPS-Mail Innovations saves the shipper money it is a horrible product for the end customer.
I have totally the opposite experience. Maybe it's my local post office, but they are extremely responsive. Once the package arrives at my post office, it is "Out for delivery" the next day, every time. In my experience, the local mail people know where houses are a lot better than delivery people. I can't remember when a mail man delivered our package to some other house, or where we received a package for one of our neighbors. Further, to address the OP's problem, I can call my local post office, a human being will answer the phone after very few rings, they care about my issue, and they have always solved it. Packages are always delivered under cover on my front porch. (Contrast this with FedEx who left important papers from my lawyer out in the driveway for a week when we were away on vacation.)
egrets

Post by egrets »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 am OP, were these packages shipped via the slowest possible method of UPS-Mail Innovations where they ultimately get transferred to USPS for final delivery? I have had several packages recently transferred to USPS when they hit my local UPS hub. I have found that once the package is transferred to USPS, it becomes a mystery of where they are and when they get delivered. Tracking basically become useless with zero method of obtaining information. They usually show up ~ 2 weeks later after you have come to conclusion of passages being lost! While I'm sure UPS-Mail Innovations saves the shipper money it is a horrible product for the end customer.
FedEx and UPS both have a delivery method where the USPS does the last part of the shipping. This makes me very happy as I know the USPS will deliver it to my house not to any random house in a block radius. I've signed up for a plethora of tracking options and USPS always sends me an email with a tracking number. I am not sure how I caused this to happen...

Up to now, this method has been prompt. Now that the guts have been ripped out of the USPS, I don't know what will happen. I drove by my local post office yesterday and there was a bunch of stuff, including the drive by big blue mailboxes, in a heap.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Gigihsu wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:15 pm
Every time, I called UPS within 5 minutes of the supposed delivery time when I saw the tracking information. After transferring around, I was told that I could only ask the merchant to file a claim. I was hoping the customer service could contact the driver to double check. Obviously they couldn't.

I suspect they might have a new or careless driver on my route because sometimes my UPS packages did arrive. I really hope UPS would review the delivery GPS data and make sure the same mistakes won't happen again (or retrieve my mis-delivered packages). However, I can't get anyone at UPS to resolve the issues. I e-mailed the corporate, and I called my local distribution center. Every time I was told to contact the merchants for a refund.

I am at my wits' end. I just want my packages to show up on time, however, UPS doesn't seem to understand. Any Advice?
The problem is that you are not the customer of UPS, the merchant is. If you didn't get what you ordered, you need to tell the merchant, not UPS.
FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob »

Chip wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:51 pm
A few months ago we were notified of an incoming UPS wine shipment that required a signature so made sure to stay home all day. At about 4 pm my wife got an email saying "we couldn't deliver your package since you weren't home". The doorbell didn't ring and there wasn't a tag on the door.

She jumped in the car and chased down the UPS truck, got our shipment and gave the driver a piece of her mind.

My theory is that the driver was running behind schedule and marked us as "not home" to save time and get back on schedule. We have a long driveway making package delivery a bit time-consuming for the driver.
FedEx did the same thing to me a few months ago. I was right next to the door. The door bell didn't ring and there was no FedEx truck to be seen or heard. I suspect the drivers are overworked during the pandemic and some may just tag recipients as not home. FedEx customer service is just as bad. There was nowhere to register the complaint, either by phone or via the website. At least i can still count on my postman if the package was sent via USPS, instead of dealing with this sort of shenanigan.
Topic Author
Gigihsu

Post by Gigihsu »

michaelingp wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:55 pm I can't help you, but I can tell you I had the exact same problem with FedEx. I find this disturbing because I believe they have the technology to tell you exactly where your package was when the driver scanned it as "delivered", yet they won't share it with you, or, it seems, use it themselves to find the package or determine if a driver is incompetent or dishonest. In fact, they seem totally uninterested. They could solve a LOT of problems simply by including the GPS coordinates in the email you get when a package is declared "delivered". What would be the downside?
I found my Fedex helpful. When I contacted them regarding a mis-delivered package earlier this year, a customer service rep immediately compared the GPS data when the package was scanned as delivered and apologized for my inconvenience. A couple days later, Fedex brought me the missing package. I probably encountered a more caring customer service rep.

Here is my 12-month data:
USPS delivered 50 times. Out of these packages, 2 were delivered to my neighbors. My neighbors were very kind to bring over.
Fedex delivered 72 times. Out of these packages, 2 were mis-delivered. Fedex brought me these boxes a few days later.
UPS delivered 51 times. Out of these packages, 5 were mis-delivered. I had to ask the seller to refund or resend the items.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Gigihsu wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:27 pm Here is my 12-month data:
USPS delivered 50 times. Out of these packages, 2 were delivered to my neighbors. My neighbors were very kind to bring over.
Fedex delivered 72 times. Out of these packages, 2 were mis-delivered. Fedex brought me these boxes a few days later.
UPS delivered 51 times. Out of these packages, 5 were mis-delivered. I had to ask the seller to refund or resend the items.
Your experience of delivery mistakes is abnormal. Is your home properly marked with clear and legible house numbers? You should have numbers painted on your street/curb, mailbox, and house. If you get deliveries while it's dark, is there enough light to confirm these numbers?

Are you typing in your address as it is standardized by USPS? e.g. 123 Main Street, Unit A vs 123 Main - A
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Gigihsu wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:27 pm
I found my Fedex helpful. When I contacted them regarding a mis-delivered package earlier this year, a customer service rep immediately compared the GPS data when the package was scanned as delivered and apologized for my inconvenience. A couple days later, Fedex brought me the missing package. I probably encountered a more caring customer service rep.
Did you call the North America number, or were you able to call your local office? I think in the past you could call your local facility and actually get support. Today I called the national number, and they really knew no more than the tracking information I already had. (I have a package that has been "Out for delivery" now for 5 days). The support person, who was really nice, said that starting a month ago, even he could not contact the local office by phone, and had to email them (which doesn't seem to have helped)!