Spouse: How to get REAL ID driver's license without social security card and recent job?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
criticalmass

Re: Spouse: How to get REAL ID driver's license without social security card and recent job?

Post by criticalmass »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:26 am On the plus side... once the DMV scans all the documents you provided and it's all stored in their database. I can totally see other applications for having a REAL ID. It indicates you are an American Citizen - and your birth certificate, SS card/number, and some other facts are a few keystrokes away during an inquiry. Thank you Patriot Act! We're so much safer now.
How would Real ID indicate you are "American" Citizen?

US citizenship Is not required to obtain a Real ID, although the applicant must demonstrate lawful presence in USA.
Topic Author
doss

Re: Spouse: How to get REAL ID driver's license without social security card and recent job?

Post by doss »

I Just wanted to let everyone know that I thank you for your feedback! I haven't read it all yet. We just had a baby so things are very hectic but I will get back to you guys as soon as I can. Thanks!
celia

Post by celia »

palanzo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:39 pm
celia wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm I have a passport. Why would I want to bother with a real ID license?
You also need a ReadID or passport to enter federal buildings (court houses, Smithsonian museums, federal archives, the IRS sites, your representative(???), national parks, national cemeteries). Why carry a passport around where it can be damaged or lost when you usually carry a driver's license anyways?
You do not need a RealID to enter the Smithsonian or national parks.
After thinking about this awhile, those places and others are geared to tourists, for citizens and non-citizens. Some places, like archives, presidential libraries and the Library of congress encourage anyone to do research.

With a little searching, I found this 2015 short aritcle that mentioned how the ID/access requirements were being phased in over time. At the time of the article, at least 217 federal buildings already followed the RealID requirements.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:36 pm
palanzo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:39 pm
celia wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm I have a passport. Why would I want to bother with a real ID license?
You also need a ReadID or passport to enter federal buildings (court houses, Smithsonian museums, federal archives, the IRS sites, your representative(???), national parks, national cemeteries). Why carry a passport around where it can be damaged or lost when you usually carry a driver's license anyways?
You do not need a RealID to enter the Smithsonian or national parks.
After thinking about this awhile, those places and others are geared to tourists, for citizens and non-citizens. Some places, like archives, presidential libraries and the Library of congress encourage anyone to do research.

With a little searching, I found this 2015 short aritcle that mentioned how the ID/access requirements were being phased in over time. At the time of the article, at least 217 federal buildings already followed the RealID requirements.
Agreed. Are non-citizens expected to apply for a RealID to go to a museum? I doubt it. In fact you do not need any ID to go to the Smithsonian, for example.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

When your wife gets her new SS card (and when you get the new baby's birth certificate), create a file folder called "Vital Documents." Put it in the front of your filing cabinet (or file box) so you can grab it quickly in case of a fire. ALL important papers go in there. Whoever is best at this sort of thing needs to do it. Sounds like that might be you. Congratulations on the new baby!!!
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

What is astounding to me is that a Real ID obtained in one state apparently does not transfer to another state, even though, as far as I can tell, you have to show the same documents in every state to get the Real ID in the first place.

So for someone who moves to a different state, they have to go through the whole process again.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

Random Poster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:01 pm What is astounding to me is that a Real ID obtained in one state apparently does not transfer to another state, even though, as far as I can tell, you have to show the same documents in every state to get the Real ID in the first place.

So for someone who moves to a different state, they have to go through the whole process again.
This is true. I've had the unfortunate experience of doing it twice. Although Washington was about a million times easier than Massachusetts.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

LilyFleur wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:50 pm When your wife gets her new SS card (and when you get the new baby's birth certificate), create a file folder called "Vital Documents." Put it in the front of your filing cabinet (or file box) so you can grab it quickly in case of a fire. ALL important papers go in there. Whoever is best at this sort of thing needs to do it. Sounds like that might be you. Congratulations on the new baby!!!
Great idea. We have such a folder called "Go Bag." Also has passports, insurance info, and coded info about credit cards.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:41 am
TravelGeek wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm I'd guess that many Bogelheads will likely find it easier to grab a 1099 from TY2019 than to dig our their SS cards.
Sure, the e-delivered 1099s are right here on my computer. Will they accept a home-printed document, though? :twisted:
They did in our case
So it’s just security theater :oops:
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

I haven't read every reply so I will apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned.

Instead of getting a Real ID, I just renewed my regular driver's license and got a passport card to use for domestic flights. I was lucky since I was renewing my passport and driver's license at about the same time, but it saved me of going through the rigamarole of proving residence, etc.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I went in yesterday to renew my license, opting for RealID.

It was easy and simple. I had my passport, current driver's license and a 1099 showing full social security number and address. That was enough in my state.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Random Poster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:01 pm What is astounding to me is that a Real ID obtained in one state apparently does not transfer to another state, even though, as far as I can tell, you have to show the same documents in every state to get the Real ID in the first place.

The forms I needed to obtain a real id were the same as I needed to obtain the license in same state years earlier. So either way, you need to go through the process of showing your papers. I suspect states will still charge the extra Real fee for transfers from out of state Real IDs.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

22twain wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 pm My card is of similar vintage, early 1960s.
[...]
Nevertheless, I was able to submit an application online for a new card today. I'm supposed to get an e-mail within five business days, telling me whether the application was approved.
I received an e-mail yesterday (Saturday! They must be working overtime) that my request was approved, and I should receive the new card in 5-7 business days.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:41 am
TravelGeek wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm I'd guess that many Bogelheads will likely find it easier to grab a 1099 from TY2019 than to dig our their SS cards.
Sure, the e-delivered 1099s are right here on my computer. Will they accept a home-printed document, though? :twisted:
They did in our case
+1. Despite our state s DMV stating online that originals were needed
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I imagine the waiver to not require a visit to the local SS office for a replacement card may expire when and if Covid-19 is in the rear view mirror. I had this problem in September of 2019 when trying to use what I thought was a valid SS card when I was applying for my new licence in SC, a card that was issued to me about 55 years ago in my teens when I was still living with ny parents. They wouldn't issue me a new real-ID driver's licence in SC, even though my existing one from CA was a real-ID. There were two SS cards issued when I got my first one, one of which had your address on it, and that was the one that I had (invalid), having lost the other one (valid).

I ended up using my passport and a 1099 to get my licence, but felt I should have a valid SS card for any future unknown needs.

I tried to get a replacement card online with a response that I had to visit the local office to get it. No appointments were given, but I only waited an hour. As it turns out, I'm glad I went because I saw an official sign on the front door that amused me. I would post the picture of that sign but I can't figure out how to do that. Here is the text, and I apologize for the off-topic reference:

WARNING

IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENCE TO KILL, KIDNAP,
FORCIBLY ASSAULT, INTIMIDATE OR
INTERFERE WITH DESIGNATED FEDERAL
EMPLOYEES WHILE THEY ARE ENGAGED IN OR
ON ACCOUNT OF THE PERFORMANCE OF
THEIR ASSIGNED DUTIES.

VIOLATORS ARE SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL
PROSECUTION!

28 CFR PART 64 (ORDER NO. 1236-89).

This implies that those activities are perfectly legal once the federal employee is off work. :oops:

This sign may not be needed in other States, but apparently is in SC, where even the dogs are packing heat. :D
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

One thing about bureaucrats, they LOVE putting up signs. Not uncommon in our area to go to a government office and be unable to see in the double glass doors for all the signs that are taped to it! Then you get inside and more signs. Next time you are driving down a highway, count the number of government placed signs you see in an average mile!
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

vested1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 amWARNING

THEIR ASSIGNED DUTIES.

PROSECUTION!

This implies that those activities are perfectly legal once the federal employee is off work. :oops:
Assault is a crime in every state. It's hard to see how you would intimidate or interfere with a federal employee while they are engaged in the performance of their assigned duties once the federal employee is off work.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:58 am
vested1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 amWARNING

THEIR ASSIGNED DUTIES.

PROSECUTION!

Assault is a crime in every state. It's hard to see how you would intimidate or interfere with a federal employee while they are engaged in the performance of their assigned duties once the federal employee is off work.
Maybe when you're stalking them after they get off work, and you don't like the brand of cereal they're buying at the Dollar Store, so you intimidate them and interfere with their purchase. /S
:sharebeer
22twain

Post by 22twain »

22twain wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:39 pm
22twain wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 pm My card is of similar vintage, early 1960s.
[...]
Nevertheless, I was able to submit an application online for a new card today. I'm supposed to get an e-mail within five business days, telling me whether the application was approved.
I received an e-mail yesterday (Saturday! They must be working overtime) that my request was approved, and I should receive the new card in 5-7 business days.
The new Social Security card arrived today, five business days after the e-mail, plus three weekend days and a holiday.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

I haven't read all the posts in this thread. This is a heads-up to both the OP and others.

DONT LAMINATE your SS card if you want to get a Real ID license! (And especially if you live in MA.)

I had to make an extra trip to the RMV because my SS (the original one I got when Inwas 14) is laminated. The reader they use to scan your SS in MA can't accommodate laminated documents. I also had my retired Navy ID card with me (with my SS #) but that's also laminated. Grrrrr...
Friar1610
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

22twain wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 pm My card is of similar vintage, early 1960s. On the back it says "Form OA-702. Rev. (9-61)". My signature looks like a 2nd- or 3rd-grader's, rather different from my current one.
Mine is dated 1962 and it’s in mint condition and still stapled to its explanatory brochure. It’s clearly marked “Not for use for identification”. I never signed it and to my recollection I’ve never needed it, that’s why it’s in such good shape.

But when I presented it at the DMV to get my RealID they wouldn’t accept it. The clerk asked if I had the other card, I did not and do not remember ever having one. My wife has one that looks different. She got hers later than I did. I imagine that’s the one they wanted me to produce. Luckily I had the foresight to print a copy of my last W2 from before I retired. They accepted that as evidence for my SS#.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

friar1610 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm I haven't read all the posts in this thread. This is a heads-up to both the OP and others.

DONT LAMINATE your SS card if you want to get a Real ID license! (And especially if you live in MA.)

I had to make an extra trip to the RMV because my SS (the original one I got when Inwas 14) is laminated. The reader they use to scan your SS in MA can't accommodate laminated documents. I also had my retired Navy ID card with me (with my SS #) but that's also laminated. Grrrrr...
But to repeat what was already said, many (most? all?) states will accept another proof of SS# in lieu of your SS card. This even works in MA!

In our case, we each simple brought in a 1099 from 2019. Really easy.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Chip wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:52 am I went in yesterday to renew my license, opting for RealID.

It was easy and simple. I had my passport, current driver's license and a 1099 showing full social security number and address. That was enough in my state.
I will be doing the same soon (license expired in May), but from what I am hearing about the DMV backups here in IL, people are getting there hours before they open, bringing chairs and coolers, etc. and it is an all day affair. I'm not looking forward to it. I'm trying to balance waiting for some of the crowds to subside but not too long where it gets close to when the grace period ends (11/1). Unfortunately, I cannot renew via mail because I need to take the vision test (not sure why-no previous designation on my license I needed glasses for driving) and I want a Real ID. The other option is to just renew my regular license since the Real ID is not needed for travel until 10/1/2021.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:18 pm
friar1610 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm I haven't read all the posts in this thread. This is a heads-up to both the OP and others.

But to repeat what was already said, many (most? all?) states will accept another proof of SS# in lieu of your SS card. This even works in MA!

In our case, we each simple brought in a 1099 from 2019. Really easy.
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. In my case I had to go home and get a tax form and go back. But as I reread what I wrote, I see that it could be interpreted that you flat-out couldn't get the Real ID without the SS card. Good catch.
Friar1610
rec630

Post by rec630 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:24 am
Chip wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:52 am I went in yesterday to renew my license, opting for RealID.

I will be doing the same soon (license expired in May), but from what I am hearing about the DMV backups here in IL, people are getting there hours before they open, bringing chairs and coolers, etc. and it is an all day affair. I'm not looking forward to it. I'm trying to balance waiting for some of the crowds to subside but not too long where it gets close to when the grace period ends (11/1). Unfortunately, I cannot renew via mail because I need to take the vision test (not sure why-no previous designation on my license I needed glasses for driving) and I want a Real ID. The other option is to just renew my regular license since the Real ID is not needed for travel until 10/1/2021.
Havent found anyone thats gotten out in less than 3 hours. One news report I read was an 8 hr wait. Plus several facilities have had to shut down again due to employee Covid cases. Hasn't helped they closed other express offices and did not reopen elsewhere as promised.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

rec630 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Havent found anyone thats gotten out in less than 3 hours. One news report I read was an 8 hr wait. Plus several facilities have had to shut down again due to employee Covid cases. Hasn't helped they closed other express offices and did not reopen elsewhere as promised.
In my state we can set an appointment online, then walk in at the appointed time and out in ten minutes. And if you’re under 65 you can do everything online, if renewing. Over 65 you must go in.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

rec630 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm

For the past couple of months the location we used in TN has started to accept limited appointments made online. We went online and booked 2 slots (1 for me & 1 for DW), and when we arrived about 10 minutes early the line of those without appointments was around the block. There must have been 50 people waiting outside to get in. We walked to the front of the line, told the attendant we had appointments, and in 35 minuets we were finished with both Real IDs and in our car driving home.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

vested1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 am WARNING

THEIR ASSIGNED DUTIES.

PROSECUTION!

This sign may not be needed in other States, but apparently is in SC, where even the dogs are packing heat. :D
I think you missed the important bit. This is only for designated federal employees. Did you see anyone inside wearing a hat or pin designating them as people whom you should not kidnap for fear of federal charges? Also --- just to be clear, I think it's ok to intimidate, as long as you don't forcibly intimidate --- but English is less clear than I'd like, so better keep any intimidation outside of performance of assigned duties. I always find the federal crime postings amusing too, but I guess it's important to let people know and consider the jurisdiction of their crimes before they commit them, so you don't have to deal with Not Guilty, cause I didn't know it was a Federal issue pleas. :)
Topic Author
doss

Post by doss »

Hello everyone. OP here. Thanks for your feedback. My wife was able to successfully apply for a replacement SS card online even with her expired driver's license number. Was easy. Thank you.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Great news. Glad it worked out for you.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)