Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rgs92

Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?

Post by rgs92 »

So Walmart has a new premium service for $98/year for free delivery for orders over $35 (called Walmart+ or Walmart Plus maybe).
I am curious about anyone's experience with online ordering from Walmart (say, vs. Amazon).
What shipping services are used at Walmart?
Thank you.
Last edited by rgs92 on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Swansea

Re: Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery). Thoughts?

Post by Swansea »

I've placed one order for delivery with them, it went fine. Delivery was free once you buy I think $35. Took to days.
Only downside was the tracking system was not very good.
RJC

Post by RJC »

I have to imagine Wal-Mart‘s prices are much better than Amazon?
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Walmart has gotten better over the last year but there no Amazon.

They still force there store workers to deliver after there shift ends so it depends on if you care about that or not.
Amazon isn't any better as a company so there's that as well.

I user Amazon Prime allot but I do occasionally order from Wal-Mart, not enough for a $100 yearly sub IMO.
The wife was ordering groceries online from them but the local HyVee rolled out a better program so she switched to them.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Edited to note the $35 minimum. Sort of a negative annoyance in my book for a premium service I think. (I think Target ships for free anyway with a a $35 order.)

Also, how does Walmart ship? I tend to avoid shipments with Fedex Ground because of serious service problems and damaged shipments in the last few months. Thanks.

I don't think Walmart uses Instacart for food. Is this true? Instacart has proved annoying for me.
Last edited by rgs92 on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

During the start of Covid, I ordered online from Walmart, amazon, Kroger and Safeway. All of them showed items online that were not in stock. If I allowed substitutions, I was not happy with the choices.

Since I like to select my own fruit, vegetables and meat, I’m not a candidate. OTOH, my neighbor gets all her groceries delivered so it would work for her.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I tried something similar (maybe the same) a few months ago, and a tip was strongly suggested for the third party delivery person. (Which wasn't stated during signup.) So not really free. I cancelled before the trial expired.

The delivery person proceeded with a delivery in a huge storm (instead of waiting 15 minutes for things to calm down), and I was left with soaked groceries with ruined packaging.
wander

Post by wander »

I bought from Walmart often, they have been offering free delivery for over $35 purchase. Delivery is fine like Amazon but the return service is easier/simpler with Amazon.
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Tips are usually for grocery (or take out food) deliveries with all these services. I've never heard of tips for regular ordinary packages. If I'm wrong, and advice is welcome. Thanks.
CABob

Re: Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?

Post by CABob »

Walmart has free delivery with order of $35. What is the advantage of Walmart plus?
Bob
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I think they need to try harder. A few observations:

The 5 cents/gallon savings would save a family $24/year if they bought 40 gallons a month. That offsets a little of the expense.
Wal-Marts package tracking is lacking compared to Amazon
Selection is not as good as Amazon
If you want to challenge Amazon, you have to be better. The $35 minimum tells me they are not trying hard enough.
I have been very happy with their grocery pickup service. My local grocery store(Hy-Vee), who normally does most things right, still can't figure this out.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Is Walmart's website still terrible compared to Amazon and Target?
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

CABob wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:04 pm Walmart has free delivery with order of $35. What is the advantage of Walmart plus?
Same day delivery, I believe.

When I read about this a couple weeks ago, the writer speculated that they were planning to scale their thousands of stores across the states into fulfillment centers. Amazon doesn't even come close to Walmart's number of buildings. Amazon's necessarily are much bigger, but since there are fewer of them, they are also necessarily farther away from customers. Walmart for years has been building stores and super centers close to population concentrations, so they plan to expand those facilities into fulfillment centers, increasing product offerings and physical stock, and then draw customers away from Amazon by offering same-day delivery, since most of the country lives within 30 minutes of a Walmart.

Of course, it will take a while for them to get that all up and running, this is just the first (public) step.

TNWoods
Last edited by TNWoods on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

My son just bought a car and so was ordering a bunch of stuff. Most from Amazon and a few things from Wal Mart who was touting free second day shipping while he was ordering. All the Amazon stuff made it here and a week later the Wal Mart stuff arrived. Since he wanted to use the stuff before we went to a show that weekend, he was counting on the delivery being promised to him. They failed. He said he'll never order from them again.

If I want something from Wal Mart, I'll drive there. Same day delivery via my Subaru.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I see zero reason to do this.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

CABob wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:04 pm Walmart has free delivery with order of $35. What is the advantage of Walmart plus?
I believe that's only on Walmart items, not 3rd party. I assume Walmart plus includes everything.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I've used Boxed.com, Amazon (amazon fresh), Safeway and Sprouts for food delivery this year. Safeway specifically prohibits tipping. I didn't realize that at first and offered a guy a tip and he said "we aren't allowed to accept tips, we are full time safeway employees". Boxed.com is more of a warehouse delivery place and they just drop off boxes of good (non perishables) so no tips there either.

The others do allow for some kind of tipping.

My brother (lives in another state) and his wife said they are likely to continue to go the delivery route post-virus since it is convenient for them. I'm not too fond of using them for fresh fruits, produce, meats. I trust safeway the most with cold food since they have a refrigerator portion of the truck and the food is quite cold when I get it. Other places people are using personal cars and the food bags don't really keep things cold for long.

And while I used to occasionally buy the wrong product in haste (diet vs. not diet, etc.) I'd say for every mistake I used to make, these delivery places make 10 or more. I've gone online several times getting refunds for things I didn't get but was charged for and if you aren't careful, the substitutions are questionable.

Walmart I've never used and avoid the store at almost all costs (too big, too crowded, etc.). Compare the $98 fee with how often you will use the company and their non-free delivery fee to see if it is worth the cost.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I would think only being $20 more, Amazon would still be the better deal since you also get unlimited reading, movie, tv and music streaming as well as unlimited photo storage included as part of the deal. I haven't heard Walmart has any of those things.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:08 pm Is Walmart's website still terrible compared to Amazon and Target?
I assume you have the internet? www.walmart.com

It's actually not too bad. I'd say a little better than Target but still not at Amazon level.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Looks like the difference here with WM Plus is you get same day shipping with $35 orders, not two day like currently exists.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
wander

Post by wander »

I think the deal breaker is the range of products. It seems I almost find anything under the sun at Amazon. Hopefully, Walmart can do it better. I tried to find an encrypted portable hard drive the other day, Amazon gave me many different brands while Walmart gave me one brand with old tech.
CABob

Post by CABob »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:18 pm Looks like the difference here with WM Plus is you get same day shipping with $35 orders, not two day like currently exists.
I would be happy with two day rather than the two week (plus?) that I am experiencing with Amazon
Bob
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

CABob wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:24 pm
ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:18 pm Looks like the difference here with WM Plus is you get same day shipping with $35 orders, not two day like currently exists.
I would be happy with two day rather than the two week (plus?) that I am experiencing with Amazon
Everything I’ve ordered via two day with WM has arrived in the appointed time.

My Amazon stuff is mostly showing up on time now too (different than the Spring). But I basically never order anything that isn’t at least fulfilled by Amazon.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
egrets

Post by egrets »

I don't think I've ever ordered from Walmart before the pandemic. However I have ordered several times recently because they tend to have various paper products that are otherwise out of stock. I've had to try a few times in a week, but then the stuff is in stock.

All of FedEx, UPS, Amazon, and Walmart ^%$#@ deliver to the wrong address fairly often. At least Amazon includes a delivered photo in its email so I can guess which neighbor's house the stuff is at. I am too old to go roaming around the neighborhood looking for my packages. I don't think the USPS has ever delivered stuff for me to the wrong address.

I am liking Amazon less and less due to bad deliveries and they seem to do no policing of dishonest sellers. However I bought Prime to get food deliveries and then discovered weeks later that you can get some quite nice free books via prime, so prime also with its discounts is definitely worth it for me.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

egrets wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:39 pm
All of FedEx, UPS, Amazon, and Walmart ^%$#@ deliver to the wrong address fairly often. At least Amazon includes a delivered photo in its email so I can guess which neighbor's house the stuff is at. I am too old to go roaming around the neighborhood looking for my packages. I don't think the USPS has ever delivered stuff for me to the wrong address.
Really? I don’t think Fedex or ups has ever misdelivered my packages. USPS does the mail wrong occasionally, but rarely.

Amazon and WM mostly don’t actually do the delivering, so how are they delivering to the wrong address? With some same day delivery exceptions it’s probably Fedex, ups, or usps.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

No. It says as fast as same day. Not same day guaranteed.
canderson

Post by canderson »

I’ll never give WM another penny but ymmv. I had my identity stolen and they absolutely refused to do ANYTHING even despite local and state police reports asking them to.
testing321

Post by testing321 »

You already get free shipping if you order $35 or more from the website. The advantage of Walmart+ is for delivery of what would otherwise be curbside pickup. We use curbside pickup about once a week for groceries and sundries, so it would end up costing us about $2 to have each pickup delivered if we were to pay for Walmart+. Not a bad deal. We plan to use the service. The Walmart app works well on Android.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
ballons

Post by ballons »

rgs92 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm I am curious about anyone's experience with online ordering from Walmart (say, vs. Amazon).
What shipping services are used at Walmart?
Fedex ground for 100% of deliveries in my area. Never late and always on time for the delivery date given.

vs Amazon
  • Walmart does not co-mingle inventory with fakes and counterfeits.
  • 90 day return policy.
  • Food items are not near expiration date
  • Way more variety
  • No hoops or games with stock. i.e. you don't have to subscribe&wait and the item is in stock or it isn't. None of that "in stock in 3-4 months order now" nonsense.
  • Prices are drastically lower.
Target is just as good as Walmart if you hate walmart.
ballons

Post by ballons »

AFAIK, there has been no mention of shipping being faster. I would prefer this over local delivery. I would be guilt tripped into tipping each delivery. I have also not used local delivery because I would want a Walmart truck delivering the items, not a random store employee.
Scan & Go: Unlock Scan & Go in the Walmart app — a fast way to shop in-store. Using the Walmart app, customers can scan their items as they shop and pay using Walmart Pay for a quick, easy, touch-free payment experience.
The scan&go feature is awesome, but I have no clue how they will keep this going in certain areas. Once you use this feature, all other retail stores with cashiers make you feel like you are living in the past. $8/month to not stand in a walmart check out line.
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks. I guess since it's same-day delivery (in some cases), it must be a private courier service for these items, or WalMart''s own maybe. Thanks for the all the feedback on this.
petulant

Post by petulant »

They should have just combined a few more benefits with Sam's Club membership and marketed that as the original Amazon Prime.
student

Post by student »

I don't think I will join. Most stuff I need can get free delivery with $35+ order already. I understand that the new service includes more items but it is not worth for it for my shopping needs.

Post by 123 »

The Walmart service seems overpriced compared to Amazon. There doesn't appear to be any entertainment bundled with the Walmart offering compared to Amazon Prime Video, Music, etc. On a benefits basis I would say that the Walmart service might be worth $5 a month.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

ballons wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:21 pm

AFAIK, there has been no mention of shipping being faster. I would prefer this over local delivery. I would be guilt tripped into tipping each delivery. I have also not used local delivery because I would want a Walmart truck delivering the items, not a random store employee.
It’s outlined here

https://www.cnet.com/news/walmart-plus- ... rship-fee/
On Monday, Walmart said it's building out its e-commerce membership program, which competes with Amazon Prime, to include more items and more perks, like shipping as fast as same day for orders of at least $35 and a cashierless checkout feature in the Walmart app
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I haven't set foot in a grocery store for over 3 months.
I have tried Instacart, Amazon and Wal-mart delivery services, including this "premium" service when it was being tested earlier this year.

Wal-mart is by far the worst. I have had many horror stories with orders. The worst part is that there is zero customer service if there is a problem. There is no number to call. The chat feature is useless. Wal-mart takes zero responsibility when the order doesn't get delivered. When pressed, you are told to contact "the store", never mind that you ordered from a website, and don't even know which store the order is coming from !
In my area, they use Doordash drivers for deliveries, not their own drivers. Wal-mart is so disorganized that the Doordash driver ends up waiting too long for the order to be ready. I have had one driver just leave the order at the store outright and not pick it up. Wal-mart marked it the next day as "delivered" ! I had to fight for over a week for a refund to convince them it was never delivered. Do not under any circumstance use the Wal-mart grocery service.

The good news is that Instacart works, and has now added Wal-mart as a store for deliveries. They have their own shoppers and drivers, that you can actually contact by chat during the process if need be. They have real customer service. Still, the bad news is that Wal-mart is very often out of the items I order, far more than any other place I order from through Instacart .
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

I've used the Wal-Mart delivery service twice for $7.95 each. It's very convenient. I order my items before I go to bed and my items were there in morning. I hate the Wal-Mart in store shopping for various reasons and even with delivery charges my order was cheaper than local grocery store.
I'm going with the year plan
egrets

Post by egrets »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:44 pm
egrets wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:39 pm
Really? I don’t think Fedex or ups has ever misdelivered my packages. USPS does the mail wrong occasionally, but rarely.

Amazon and WM mostly don’t actually do the delivering, so how are they delivering to the wrong address? With some same day delivery exceptions it’s probably Fedex, ups, or usps.
I get email from amazon when they have made the delivery including a photo of where the package was left and a request for rating the delivery person. I have never seen fedex ups or usps email me photos or ask for a rating. If they did USPS would get five stars and fedex and UPS zero stars.
egrets

Post by egrets »

madbrain wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:27 am
The good news is that Instacart works, and has now added Wal-mart as a store for deliveries. They have their own shoppers and drivers, that you can actually contact by chat during the process if need be. They have real customer service. Still, the bad news is that Wal-mart is very often out of the items I order, far more than any other place I order from through Instacart .
instacart substantially overcharges. They even admit they have higher prices now with a note on their website. For example a 12 pack of cans of coca cola might be $6 in a store, $8 Instacart.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

egrets wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:40 am I get email from amazon when they have made the delivery including a photo of where the package was left and a request for rating the delivery person.
But "Amazon" almost certainly isn't delivering one of the packages. It's one of the delivery companies (USPS, FedEx, UPS). Amazon might have a system through which one of the delivery companies sends you a photo through the Amazon system, but unless it's a same day delivery courier type service, it's likely a delivery company actually dropping it off at your house.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

So what am I missing here?

Walmart = pay $98 annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+
Amazon = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $25+

I can't think of anything that I would need so urgently that I can't wait a couple of days for it to arrive by Amazon. If I need it that quickly, I'll just run to the store. Perhaps this scratches the "instant gratification" itch that some have. The gas discount isn't a benefit for me. Walmart's gas is not the least expensive in our area and in fact I can purchase Top Tier gasoline at two stations in the area that are both less expensive than Walmart.

I must be fortunate because I have had zero mis-delivered packages whether coming from USPS, UPS, FedEx or Amazon. Even DHL when they were a player (and they were pretty awful). And in our rural community, Amazon delivers probably 75% of their orders themselves and receiving notification of delivery along with the photo of the delivered item where it is left has been part of every delivery.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:00 am
egrets wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:40 am I get email from amazon when they have made the delivery including a photo of where the package was left and a request for rating the delivery person.
But "Amazon" almost certainly isn't delivering one of the packages. It's one of the delivery companies (USPS, FedEx, UPS). Amazon might have a system through which one of the delivery companies sends you a photo through the Amazon system, but unless it's a same day delivery courier type service, it's likely a delivery company actually dropping it off at your house.
Amazon has their own delivery service. They provide tracking when it's close (a map with the driver location and how many more stops until they get to you). https://logistics.amazon.com/ A friend in another area gets all of his Amazon deliveries from them.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Seasonal wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:25 am
Amazon has their own delivery service. They provide tracking when it's close (a map with the driver location and how many more stops until they get to you). https://logistics.amazon.com/ A friend in another area gets all of his Amazon deliveries from them.
That's cool. We don't have that service.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

galawdawg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 am
WM - Pay nothing and get free 2-day shipping on orders over $35.

The new service has more of a Same-day and grocery delivery component to it.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Chuck107 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm I had a delivery of some stuff from Walmart last week over $35 so shipping was free. Couple cans of coffee, and about 8 glass bottles of various foods, that the local stores seem not to have had in stock for months.
It all came in a large box. Much larger than necessary.
NO packing materials at all.
Glass bottles rolling around hitting each other freely.
Surprisingly no chips or cracks and seals were intact.
I don't know if I will chance that again.
We ordered some canned goods from Walmart on Sunday (over $35). The package arrived FedEx Monday morning. It was well packed with little wasted space and no cans were dented. Much better experience than the same item from Target, although a bit more expensive.
neo

Post by neo »

I used walmart pickup which is good with tracking. They track your phone gps once you start from home once you checkin in walmart app and need to hit parking spot number and color of your color once you reach walmart. I hope they will include the same tracking service with walmart+ deliveries.

The only thing need to check if we need to add any tips with walmart+ which will add up the costs in addition to annual fees of $98.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:34 am
galawdawg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 am
WM - Pay nothing and get free 2-day shipping on orders over $35.

The new service has more of a Same-day and grocery delivery component to it.
+1 it's mostly for Walmart Grocery
egrets

Post by egrets »

And you know this how?
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

My Walmart and Target orders have been delivered much more quickly than Amazon orders in the past ~6 months. I won't likely pay for the new Wmt service, but with the $35 order minimum for free delivery and Target's no minimum purchase requirement with Red Card, it is worth it to check prices on items rather than automatically ordering from Amazon. Amazon is no longer my go to for online ordering due to their slow and inconsistent delivery times.