replacement car key and fob

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
justlearnin

replacement car key and fob

Post by justlearnin »

While at the grocery store, I lost my key chain, with 2012 Subaru Forester key and fob, house key and post office key. I retraced my steps, and simply couldn't find them. I have since returned to the grocery store 3 times since losing the keys (approx 3 wks ago) and they have not be turned in.

House and p.o key were replaced with minimal cost. Subaru key and fob will cost close to $ 450.00 at Subaru dealer.

Car came with 2 sets of keys, so I am now using the 2nd set. Although I have never lost my car keys before, I still feel I need a backup set in case this happens again.

Has anyone successfully used keys and fobs bought at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc? Cost is approx half the price of dealer price. Any risk in buying these keys?
neilpilot

Re: replacement car key and fob

Post by neilpilot »

Rather than ACE hardware at half the price, you might consider a less expensive route.

https://www.amazon.com/2011-2012-Forest ... B074V8NVDQ
planetmike

Post by planetmike »

A lot of more modern vehicles use equipment inside the key to pair with the car ignition. Without the correct pairing, the car won't start. The key will unlock the door, and turn the starter over, but won't engage so the car won't start.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

planetmike wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:18 pm A lot of more modern vehicles use equipment inside the key to pair with the car ignition. Without the correct pairing, the car won't start. The key will unlock the door, and turn the starter over, but won't engage so the car won't start.
Very true, but not relevant to the OP's 2012 Forester.
abonder

Post by abonder »

I had a similar dilemma with a 2011 VW. I think there are some differences between models and what exactly needs to be done, but that can be determined with some internet research. I found that there was a local independent person who performed the service - it was less than half of dealer quote and he came to our residence and used an oem key fob. I found him on a yelp search. Wasn’t cheap but was better than the 400 plus quoted by dealer.
L82GAME

Post by L82GAME »

abonder wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:23 pm I had a similar dilemma with a 2011 VW. I think there are some differences between models and what exactly needs to be done, but that can be determined with some internet research. I found that there was a local independent person who performed the service - it was less than half of dealer quote and he came to our residence and used an oem key fob. I found him on a yelp search. Wasn’t cheap but was better than the 400 plus quoted by dealer.
+1. We had a local locksmith who specializes in car key fobs do the work instead of the dealership. However, we bought the fob “blanks” from the dealership. It was a net-savings to us, all-in.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Lao Tzu
Watty

Post by Watty »

justlearnin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:53 pm Car came with 2 sets of keys, so I am now using the 2nd set.
It all varies with the car model and manufacture but do not lose your last key.

I have heard that on some models that if you do not have a working key then the cost can be dramatically higher since they may have to replace the computer in the car.

A car forum for your car model would be a good place to ask about how to get a replacement.

If you are going to get one replacement then ask about getting a couple more at the same time. The cost for additional replacement keys may not be all that much more than for getting one replacement.

I bought a new car a few years ago and part of the deal was that they would give me four keys instead of two. I think the final cost for that was about $75 and they likely even made money on that. :twisted:
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I really lament the days of simple metal keys. $2 at the hardware store and it did not matter if I forgot the keychain in my swim trunks. These $450 FOBs are a consumer scam. Federal Consumer Protection Bureau should mandate a no-cost option for a simple key.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Outer Marker wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:45 pm I really lament the days of simple metal keys. $2 at the hardware store and it did not matter if I forgot the keychain in my swim trunks. These $450 FOBs are a consumer scam. Federal Consumer Protection Bureau should mandate a no-cost option for a simple key.
You might be able to still do that. I had a used Subaru with a remote start and the way they paired the key was to zip tie a key inside the steering column, hidden under the trim. I spent $2 a piece and bought several spare keys.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I lost the key to my 2012 Honda Fit last winter while wrastling 2 yo granddaugter in the snow...long story short, we tried Ace Hardware who didnt have the correct blank. The referred us to a local specialty locksmith who had the equipement to reprogram a fob. Cost us about $230 as opposed to the $400 the dealer wanted.

He is in the Eastern Queens/Western Long Island area if you are near there.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 »

Simple google search showed new fob selling on ebay for $20. These are easy to program in a couple of minutes
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

I used Ace Hardware to make a copy of a key for a 2012 Honda Odyssey. I purchased the blank on ebay for about 20 bucks. Cutting the key was 15 and reprogramming the remote was about 60 bucks. Take all of your keys and remotes with you to Ace Hardware as they might need to add them back as it is reprogrammed.
Helios

Post by Helios »

Slick dealer is correct about ebay. I have used it to get a deep discount fob.
Easy to sync with car.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Consider getting a quote from a locksmith.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Most good locksmiths have the equipment to do these, the exception being the really new stuff. Way cheaper than the dealership.

For a Lexus I had, I bought the key off of Ebay that had the internal chip and cut the key blank for around $30 shipped. There's a lot of vendors that do this. Then the local locksmith programmed it to the specific car for around $80. To do all of this at a Lexus dealer would have probably been around $400+.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

justlearnin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:53 pm Subaru key and fob will cost close to $ 450.00 at Subaru dealer.

Car came with 2 sets of keys, so I am now using the 2nd set. Although I have never lost my car keys before, I still feel I need a backup set in case this happens again.
$450 will seem like a bargain if you lose the 2nd set and then you have to replace the security module as well.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Outer Marker wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:45 pm I really lament the days of simple metal keys. $2 at the hardware store and it did not matter if I forgot the keychain in my swim trunks. These $450 FOBs are a consumer scam. Federal Consumer Protection Bureau should mandate a no-cost option for a simple key.
It's a ripoff. I had to pay $150 for key fob programming that could only be done by a dealer. Then another $150 a few years later to re-program. It's a 5 minute process for the dealer.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

The insurance companies have pushed the car makers for these to reduce auto theft. Before these came out, anybody with a slide hammer could pop out the ignition lock and start the car with a screw driver. And before ignition locks, anyone could reach under the dash and hotwire a car in seconds.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Watty wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:53 pm It all varies with the car model and manufacture but do not lose your last key.

I have heard that on some models that if you do not have a working key then the cost can be dramatically higher since they may have to replace the computer in the car.
I had this concern (keeping more than one working key) recently. One of my key fobs failed into a very annoying fashion... the "pop the trunk" key got stuck on, so it was constantly popping the trunk until I removed the battery. When I did remove the battery, I tested its operation as "just a key" since I specifically bought a trim line of Honda Accord that still supported good old-fashioned keyed entry and ignition. Good news for me is it works as "just a key" with no battery. It could open the car, start the engine, all of that.

But you definitely don't want to get stuck without a working key at all, whether through loss or failure. That can get very expensive. I've kept the failed key fob in the safe without a battery as a backup "key-only" fall-back option. I also have the valet key as a fall-back option.
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

Just did this last week for my 2012 Nissan Rogue. Bought the fob on line (Amazon) for about $50 and went to local locksmith to have rekeyed— $85. Saved a bunch over the $350 my Nissan dealer quoted me.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

justlearnin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:53 pm Has anyone successfully used keys and fobs bought at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc? Cost is approx half the price of dealer price. Any risk in buying these keys?
Not sure about Subarus but I bought a replacement fob for my Nissan Frontier for $25 on Amazon and programmed it myself using the instructions. Been using it perfectly for years. The dealership prices for this are a scam.
AAA

Post by AAA »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:57 pm Rather than ACE hardware at half the price, you might consider a less expensive route.

https://www.amazon.com/2011-2012-Forest ... B074V8NVDQ
Out of curiosity, I followed the link. The item has 27% 1-Star customer reviews.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

justlearnin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:53 pm While at the grocery store, I lost my key chain, with 2012 Subaru Forester key and fob, house key and post office key. I retraced my steps, and simply couldn't find them. I have since returned to the grocery store 3 times since losing the keys (approx 3 wks ago) and they have not be turned in.

House and p.o key were replaced with minimal cost. Subaru key and fob will cost close to $ 450.00 at Subaru dealer.

Has anyone successfully used keys and fobs bought at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc? Cost is approx half the price of dealer price. Any risk in buying these keys?
Call a local locksmith.

I did for aLexus key.
Saved 20% from dealer cost
wander

Post by wander »

phxjcc wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:46 pm
Call a local locksmith.

I did for aLexus key.
Saved 20% from dealer cost
I would not ever call Locksmith again. They could not pick my car door. They didn't even attempt. All they did was bend the door to reach the unlock/lock button. But my car has advance security system: If the door is not opened with a key, it won't let me unlock the trunk from inside the car. Since I forgot my keys in a locked trunk and Locksmith could not open a locked trunk, It was useless. But the guy didn't leave until I paid him something.