Suggestions for 100x moonshots

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
novemberrain

Suggestions for 100x moonshots

Post by novemberrain »

:sharebeer
Last edited by novemberrain on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Suggestions for 100x moonshots

Post by 123 »

While a 100x moonshot is doubtful with an index the NASDAQ 100 (QQQ) might be the most hopeful. While the NYSE has been more competitive for new listings lately over the last 20+ years many of the innovative companies have started out with the listing on the Nasdaq, and many have stayed there. The QQQ might capture some winners. Some might argue that a sector fund might be appropriate, but the moonshot could come from a sector that is unknown as of today.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

Go long on out-of-the-money options on a volatile individual stock. For instance Tesla's stock recently went up 5x -- with sufficiently risky call options a few of the wild-eyed Tesla bulls probably were able to get 100x out of it. You can do it with a stock you expect to crash, too, by going long on put options instead.
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
software

Post by software »

bluquark wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:33 am Go long on out-of-the-money options on a volatile individual stock. For instance Tesla's stock recently went up 5x -- with sufficiently risky call options a few of the wild-eyed Tesla bulls probably were able to get 100x out of it. You can do it with a stock you expect to crash, too, by going long on put options instead.
+1

Deep OTM options are the lotto ticket you are looking for. Beware though, much like regular lotto tickets, most will lose playing this game. Is it really worth it rather than just putting the money in your normal account? If that isn’t exciting enough for you, take a vacation with it. At least you’ll get some enjoyment out of it.
TimeTheMarket

Post by TimeTheMarket »

Short term puts on Tesla. I don't have the guts for it, but that's a good gamble.
Username is not serious :)
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Buy a low cost S&P 500, reinvest the dividends, and let it simmer for about 50 years.
I know it's not exciting, but that's the path to success.

If you're trying to gamble, and want to make volatile bets where you don't have any expected advantage (likely the opposite), options are the easy way to get the kind of leverage required for that. If you limit it to buying options (and selling to close should you win), it at least will only put the money you used to buy the option at risk.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

There's also the HEDGEFUNDIE portfolio ... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=272007
The stated intention of the author in that thread is to turn $100k into $10 million .... 100x as you are seeking to ...
midareff

Post by midareff »

novemberrain wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:54 am I have a very bogleheadian portfolio. Mostly VTSAX (or FSKAX) and recently venturing into the other 2 legs of the 3 fund portfolio. However, I do have a "play money" account which is at present about 4% of my investible assets (and 2% of NW).

I have had some success with this play money. But nothing spectacular.

Question : If I am willing to lose this entire play money, but hoping for a lottery ticket of sorts that will net me a 100x return over the next decade, what are your suggestions ?
If we knew would we tell?
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

novemberrain wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:54 am Question : If I am willing to lose this entire play money, but hoping for a lottery ticket of sorts that will net me a 100x return over the next decade, what are your suggestions ?
My suggestion is you conduct this experiment inside your Roth IRA, so that if it works you won't have to give away 1/3 of the proceeds.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Agon

Post by Agon »

Interesting topic. Take a look at NK (nantkwest). It gets lumped in with the covid stocks. (Probably because it has a covid vax and therapeutic). It's main play is cancer. Specifically, pancreatic as of now. They worked with ex-senator Harry Reid (who claims to be in full remission) and are also working with Alex Trebek. Being a Jeopardy fan, I hope he also goes into full remmish. Just a thought. Could go to zero, could go to a 1000.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

novemberrain wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:54 am I have a very bogleheadian portfolio. Mostly VTSAX (or FSKAX) and recently venturing into the other 2 legs of the 3 fund portfolio. However, I do have a "play money" account which is at present about 4% of my investible assets (and 2% of NW).

Question : If I am willing to lose this entire play money, but hoping for a lottery ticket of sorts that will net me a 100x return over the next decade, what are your suggestions ?
4% of your money severely under-performing due to gambling on moonshots will have worse results than putting your whole portfolio with Edward Jones.
Prettyfrtnt

Post by Prettyfrtnt »

My suggestion if you want to hit some moon shots: follow and scour the ARK invest website. They are one of the few managed funds that publish their holdings and are open about their research. They have multiple funds seeking all moon shots (innovation, growth, future). Watch for when they add a new company into their funds. Also look through their holdings and research individual companies and business plans. An example would be like a gene editing company fixing sickle cell anemia w crispr technology.

Also would recommend being a part of pre IPO stuff. It isn’t easy but that is where real money can happen. Equity in like neuralink right now might pop 1000x. Looking at its potential to unlock disease and human bandwidth and the top edge talent they have assembled.

Finding this stuff is not passive at all. Getting involved is hard. But I know retail investors that have. People assembling now $25M for SpaceX at $40B valuation.

These things make sense for younger investors. It’s not about losing 4% of net worth later after a long career. The Edward Jones comment only makes sense if you continue to rebalance into a completely losing situation year after year. Not a big deal if you plant a few $10000 seeds. It’s about getting a chance for financial freedom at 35.

I’d focus on deep dives and the math. Things don’t rocket ship unless when you look under the hood and there is explosive potential for disruption as well as effective evidence of actually making things and success in growth.

One more tip: buy and hold. When you buy ask yourself if you’re going to be likely happy owning this in ten years. “Trading” with options etc is a losers game. Because the house has too high a rake (capital gains). When you kill and make $200k in 2020 the US government doesn’t refund you when you lose $100k in 2021 (actually $3k ha).

Oh and 3X leverage... sssshhhh.
zie

Post by zie »

There is always junk bonds (aka "high yield bonds"). When(if?) they fail, you at least get a chance of a share or two in the new stock after bankruptcy. Some pay 100x+ yield.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

My standard line was that when I want to gamble, I go to Vegas. At minimum, I'd get free drinks and know quickly if I won.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Topic Author
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Last edited by novemberrain on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al.Davis

Post by Al.Davis »

software wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:57 am
bluquark wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:33 am Go long on out-of-the-money options on a volatile individual stock. For instance Tesla's stock recently went up 5x -- with sufficiently risky call options a few of the wild-eyed Tesla bulls probably were able to get 100x out of it. You can do it with a stock you expect to crash, too, by going long on put options instead.
+1

Deep OTM options are the lotto ticket you are looking for. Beware though, much like regular lotto tickets, most will lose playing this game. Is it really worth it rather than just putting the money in your normal account? If that isn’t exciting enough for you, take a vacation with it. At least you’ll get some enjoyment out of it.
+2

I do a couple of these here and there looking for roulette-style payoffs of 35:1 or so. One I'm doing now is buying OTM options as mentioned above, specifically buying the Jan15 2021 $40 call options for RDS.B for roughly 25 cents each. Perhaps the death of fossil fuels has been greatly exaggerated, or the middle east gets tenuous, or people start to drive and fly again, or maybe it just gets cold this winter and the folks that still have houses would like to heat them. Either way it has been proven that the cure for low oil prices is low oil prices; if/when oil prices rebound these majors will gush tons of cash with all the cuts to their dividends, exploration, management, 401k plans, etc and their share prices will follow.

To hit your 100X payout, you'd need to buy these options at .20 each with no fees then have RDS.B hit $60 by Jan 15th. (please re-read the 'lottery ticket' quote above prior to spending that easy $$$)

As a bonus, you can take the next 9.5 years of the decade thought you needed for 100X return!
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Options is the way to go. Don’t overthink it, just pick something that has started popping up in the headlines and try to pile in before everyone else with short to medium term calls - or, if you’re late to the party, puts. Have an exit plan set before entry so you don’t lose more than X% in one play.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

SLV = Silver or GLD = Gold.

But, if that happened (100X), you may not be able to cash out.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

aapl 600 or Tsla 3000 calls
dru808

Post by dru808 »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 am

4% of your money severely under-performing due to gambling on moonshots will have worse results than putting your whole portfolio with Edward Jones.
:sharebeer :thumbsup
1 fund
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You've basically wondered into a jockey convention and asked for an opinion on a race car. You really must get over to r/wallstreetbets. This is what they do.

Side note: do jockeys have conventions?
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

bugleheadd wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 pm aapl 600 or Tsla 3000 calls
What happens with an APPL September 2020 option? This obviously happens from time to time.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

Here is my suggestion VGT, here is how I got my first 487 shares: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=280668

I am currently holding 1803 shares in my Roth IRA or $570,206.70 as of today's closing price $316.14, DCA 252, paper gain of $114,695.

It is 30% of my 1.89 million portfolio

wish me luck
Last edited by retire2022 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 000 »

David Jay wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:37 pm
bugleheadd wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 pm aapl 600 or Tsla 3000 calls
What happens with an APPL September 2020 option? This obviously happens from time to time.
Sounds like you need to reread the full Characteristics and Risks of Standard Options :twisted:

An adjustment is made for the split.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

000 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:41 pm Sounds like you need to reread the full Characteristics and Risks of Standard Options :twisted:
You mean coasters? Since I have options trading privileges at so many brokerages, I have a few spare copies if anyone needs one. :happy

Post by 000 »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:45 pm
000 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:41 pm Sounds like you need to reread the full Characteristics and Risks of Standard Options :twisted:
You mean coasters? Since I have options trading privileges at so many brokerages, I have a few spare copies if anyone needs one. :happy
:) :D :mrgreen:
physixfan

Post by physixfan »

Bitcoin
TQQQ
ARKK

Post by 000 »

physixfan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm Bitcoin
TQQQ
ARKK
Don't you think those are at or near their highs?

I'd rather buy OTM calls on random microcaps :twisted:
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack »

You only need a compound annual growth of 58% to achieve 10 year return of 100x (ha ha, piece of cake right?). Sure... you could try to do it a lot faster with options... but taking your post at face value, I think a high-flying tech stock is the more viable path. You have to pick a good one though! Pick a software company with revenue < 1B. One such name is MongoDB, and I'm sure there are many others in a similar phase of their growth curve. (Take a look at the financials, it grew from $150 million in revenue in 2018 to $450 million in 2020. That's higher than 58%. But can they sustain that growth rate for 10 more years? Who knows what will happen... could keep growing, could slow down or reverse, or could get acquired by a bigger fish.)
physixfan

Post by physixfan »

000 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm
physixfan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm Bitcoin
TQQQ
ARKK
Don't you think those are at or near their highs?

I'd rather buy OTM calls on random microcaps :twisted:
Bitcoin is nowhere near the moon now. TQQQ may be dangerous, not sure about its future. ARKK is an active fund so probably the manager can make it go higher and higher magically...
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

Why not toy around with some OTC penny stocks?

I saw rumblings on Twitter about RLFTF a couple of weeks ago (Relief Therapeutics -- with a marginally promising COVID treatment) and nearly put in a but at $0.15 -- but the commission at Fidelity was $50, which was half of what I was looking to gamble. Anyway, it spiked to $0.80 or so and is now trading around $0.50.

I suspect that it being a foreign-listed OTC stock will keep it out of the Robin Hood universe, which may limit upside.
merely an interested amateur

Post by 000 »

physixfan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:03 pm Bitcoin is nowhere near the moon now. TQQQ may be dangerous, not sure about its future. ARKK is an active fund so probably the manager can make it go higher and higher magically...
Interesting. I'm curious to hear why you think Bitcoin has room to grow.
langlands

Post by langlands »

There are two ways to get a moonshot:

1) Buy an underlying asset that is highly volatile and will produce 100x return with non-negligible probability
2) Buy a derivative security that will produce 100x return with non-negligible probability

Quite a few things in category 1 have been mentioned and I don't have much to add. For 2, I've mostly only seen options mentioned. Futures can provide leverage of 20:1 so are definitely something to consider as well. Leveraged ETFs, which are quite similar, might also be a good choice.
Kaktus

Post by Kaktus »

What about searching out Biotech companies that have a product that has reached phase II?
physixfan

Post by physixfan »

000 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:08 pm
physixfan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:03 pm Bitcoin is nowhere near the moon now. TQQQ may be dangerous, not sure about its future. ARKK is an active fund so probably the manager can make it go higher and higher magically...
Interesting. I'm curious to hear why you think Bitcoin has room to grow.
Nobody has any idea how much Bitcoin "should" be worth... So it's pure sentiment. As long as inflation kicks in, Bitcoin can go up significantly with no upper bound...
BestCoast123

Post by BestCoast123 »

DI2K (Double income 2 kids)
Recently crossed 2M NW.
Careers recently went into high earning mode and now close to 1M annual household income.
Energy - Natural gas or oil explorers. (Or RIG). They all have heavy financial leverage.

Softbank.

The above have 10x potential.

100x potential in small, early stage pharma. (Don't know anything about the science) but drug research has built in optionality.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Options, VC, private equity, angel investor, penny stocks, casino.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

SPCE, that is Virgin Galactic. Possibility of 100X price move, also possibility of real moonshot. I think that the real moonshot is more likely than 100X price gain.

Ralph
Last edited by ralph124cf on Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Last edited by novemberrain on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper11

Post by Pepper11 »

H
A
C
A
X
vtjon02

Post by vtjon02 »

DI2K (Double income 2 kids)
Recently crossed 2M NW.
Careers recently went into high earning mode and now close to 1M annual household income.
You are trying to turn $40k into $4M over 10 years by gambling. If you have $1M of household income and a $2M net worth at age 40, I think you should first focus on getting your spending under control. That alone will help you increase your net worth by over $4M over the next ten years.
Topic Author
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Last edited by novemberrain on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Tehran stock exchange or Venezuela stock exchange maybe. I’m not sure what inflation is like but that’d be my best bet for 100x increase in an index.
TechGuy365

Post by TechGuy365 »

Get in on Palantir before IPO.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

123 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:09 am While a 100x moonshot is doubtful with an index the NASDAQ 100 (QQQ) might be the most hopeful. While the NYSE has been more competitive for new listings lately over the last 20+ years many of the innovative companies have started out with the listing on the Nasdaq, and many have stayed there. The QQQ might capture some winners. Some might argue that a sector fund might be appropriate, but the moonshot could come from a sector that is unknown as of today.
I'd make you a cash wager that the QQQ will be beat by small-value over the next decade, but I already put all my free :moneybag into that trade.

OP I would consider buying a basket of net-net micro-cap stocks if you can find any. Buying 10 of them may give you a shot at capturing a couple big ones, but 100x is all luck.
keystone

Post by keystone »

BestCoast123 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 pm 100x potential in small, early stage pharma. (Don't know anything about the science) but drug research has built in optionality.
Yep, this is what I invest my play money in. I've seen some rocket 100x before. It's very difficult to find a winner, there are many to choose from and most will not ever advance to Phase II or beyond....but we're talking about lottery tickets here.
isubrama

Post by isubrama »

TechGuy365 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:33 am Get in on Palantir before IPO.
How to do that ? Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.
deikel

Post by deikel »

midareff wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:05 am

If we knew would we tell?
Sure, because more people doing it would make it a 1000X moonshot ;-) - that's what all the investment porn - excuse me, news - is about
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
TechGuy365

Post by TechGuy365 »

isubrama wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:08 pm
TechGuy365 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:33 am Get in on Palantir before IPO.
How to do that ? Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.
I wish I know! When I worked for a pre-IPO company we had friends-and-family shares. You can go onto LinkedIn to see who you know works there (https://www.linkedin.com/company/palantir-technologies/). They have about 2,500 employees.
Last edited by TechGuy365 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deikel

Post by deikel »

"1M annual household income."

for real ?

...I think you should play on single stocks...have fun :twisted:
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.