Calling all Long legged BHers for SUV or Car advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Calling all Long legged BHers for SUV or Car advice

Post by Domadosolo »

Portfolio Summary:
Inseam: 37" :!:
Need to drive in comfort on long trips, some trips 600 miles/2 days.

Spouse's Toyota Sienna leaves my knees and thighs suspended in the air, and I am anchored by my rear and heels. :annoyed This gets uncomfortable on any ride over a half hour. I tried a seat cushion to get some relief, but it doesn't really cut it. I often hit my knees on the steering column when entering or exiting.
I drive a 2009 Mercedes GL450, which is really comfortable, but is getting expensive in the maintenance cost category (100KMiles), so I'm thinking to getting a new car, and I'm looking for advice from long legged BH-ers, especially for advice on
- Tesla X
- What else have you been comfortable in?
- What have you found to be exceptionally quiet?
- Insurance considerations?
- Minor knee/back issues, so ease of entry/exit is important.
- Or maybe yet another MB GLS

would you buy New or Gently Used?
Last edited by Domadosolo on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarjarM

Re: Calling all Long legged BHers for car advice

Post by jarjarM »

Following the thread
Vernn

Post by Vernn »

I live with a 38" and the larger Mercedes are the best. Toyota Sequoia isn't bad. Most of the family buys used form the ball players that have already had the seats moved back. There are some insurance issues with modify the cars.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I'm only 6'4" with a 34" inseam, but have been driving BMW 3-series for 22 years now. Originally I had a 2000 (E46) with a manual, and with the driver's seat all the way back, I could only get the clutch pedal halfway down. Had to move it forward by about 3" to get to a comfortable driving position. I currently drive a 2011 (E90), which is similar, though it has an automatic. The newer F30 and G20 generations are significantly bigger than either.

Over those years, I've done many trips of 300 miles/day or more, a small number of those with 3 or 4 people in the car. Longest were just shy of 600 miles each way, done in one day. Very, very comfortable, except for one trip where I had a 2.5 hour stretch of stop and go due to an RV rollover, my knee got pretty sore over that 9-mile (!!) section.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I lent my Subaru Outback to my 6 ft 6 in neighbor to test drive. He said it was comfortable and he might get one. The seats move all different ways and the steering column also moves in/out plus up/down.

My conclusion was that many cars would fit him as long as he adjusted things. Fortunately for me, I just pressed the "reset to 1" button and my seat moved back to where I had it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

livesoft wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:29 pm I lent my Subaru Outback to my 6 ft 6 in neighbor to test drive. He said it was comfortable and he might get one. The seats move all different ways and the steering column also moves in/out plus up/down.

My conclusion was that many cars would fit him as long as he adjusted things. Fortunately for me, I just pressed the "reset to 1" button and my seat moved back to where I had it.
I too drive a Subaru Outback (2015). I have a 35" inseam, 6'3". We can do 500 miles in one day with no discomfort. I think there's one more notch available to put the seat back. I can actually pull it up a notch or so for long legged people in the back, but for a short time. By all means "try one on."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

RudyS wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pmI too drive a Subaru Outback (2015). I have a 35" inseam, 6'3". We can do 500 miles in one day with no discomfort. I think there's one more notch available to put the seat back. I can actually pull it up a notch or so for long legged people in the back, but for a short time. By all means "try one on."
The back seats in my Outback will slide further back into the cargo area, too. I didn't realize this until about 18 months after buying the car.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I'm not that tall but I think fitting in a car is very personal so unfortunately there's no substitute for trying all the models you might consider. And that's especially unfortunate now in the days of Covid, since it's extremely awkward and unpleasant to visit dealers.

I moved the seat back in one car I owned by about 3/4" and am not sure what the "insurance considerations" are. Yes, in theory you can compromise the seat integrity by moving it, but is anyone aware of any insurance implications to that?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Keep the Mercedes. Go to one of the Mercedes Benz forums and figure out how to cut your maintenance costs. No need to use a dealer, dealer parts or even a place that does engine work at all for things like rotors and brake pads. For the next level up of work, find an independent mechanic with experience with German cars or become best friends with the service rep at the dealership. 100k is a baby for a Benz. I would not think you should have excessive costs yet. EDIT. Just noticed that the car is 12 years old. Maybe the age is leading to more costs than at 100k on a 6 year old car?
delamer

Post by delamer »

I think you are on the right track with another Mercedes.

If you have a CarMax nearby, that’s a great place to check out a variety of vehicles — or at least it was pre-virus.
sutemi

Post by sutemi »

My husband is 6'4" with a 36" inseam, while I am 14 inches shorter. We are a 1-car family on our second 2-door Mini Cooper. We both find it comfortable to drive and it works well for our urban lifestyle as it is easy to park!
It can be illuminating to rent the top choices for a weekend, get more than a short test drive and evaluate the comfort of a model without any sales pressure.
FrugalFed

Post by FrugalFed »

I'm tall with a inseam in your ballpark. I drive a seventh (2011-2017) generation Camry and have more than enough legroom. My seat is not even adjusted all the way back (in part because of the toddler in the car seat that is sometimes behind me!).

Though I haven't driven it, I heard the current Camry may be a bit more restricted.
Ted17

Post by Ted17 »

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bes ... all-people

I’ve found getting an extendable thigh rest very helpful, usually these are billed as the 18 or 20 way adjustable seats.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

This thread makes me feel short, despite by 6'1" height. :(

Our current vehicle is a Buick Encore, and despite being referred to as a subcompact SUV, I cannot position the seat as far back as it would go and comfortably reach the pedals. I suspect that someone a few inches taller than me would do just fine with it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

Katietsu wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:23 pm Keep the Mercedes. Go to one of the Mercedes Benz forums and figure out how to cut your maintenance costs. No need to use a dealer, dealer parts or even a place that does engine work at all for things like rotors and brake pads. For the next level up of work, find an independent mechanic with experience with German cars or become best friends with the service rep at the dealership. 100k is a baby for a Benz. I would not think you should have excessive costs yet. EDIT. Just noticed that the car is 12 years old. Maybe the age is leading to more costs than at 100k on a 6 year old car?
Yeah, age issues - eg air suspension leaks (normal 10 year life), it was $2400 at an independent mech; (vs $3600 at MB). I know I will need to replace my auxiliary battery as it tested at 11.4V and now shows a warning on the dash. And I have a weird sticky 3"x4" panel around the light switch, it will cost $400 to fix, as it is an integrated panel and switch.
Thanks
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

Ted17 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:39 pm https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bes ... all-people

I’ve found getting an extendable thigh rest very helpful, usually these are billed as the 18 or 20 way adjustable seats.
Thanks for that list... Ive found a lack of relationship between stated legroom and actual comfort. I don't know what goes into that measurement.
What vehicle has that extendable thigh rest?
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

livesoft wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:29 pm I lent my Subaru Outback to my 6 ft 6 in neighbor to test drive. He said it was comfortable and he might get one. The seats move all different ways and the steering column also moves in/out plus up/down.

That Subaru Outback showed up more than once... I should check it out.
Thanks.
L82GAME

Post by L82GAME »

Domadosolo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:08 am

That Subaru Outback showed up more than once... I should check it out.
Thanks.
And a cost effective, sedan-variation of the Outback is the Subaru Legacy. Great ride, great Consumer Reports ratings, great safety ratings, good fuel economy for the 4 cylinder version.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Lao Tzu
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Domadosolo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:02 am
Katietsu wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:23 pm Keep the Mercedes. Go to one of the Mercedes Benz forums and figure out how to cut your maintenance costs. No need to use a dealer, dealer parts or even a place that does engine work at all for things like rotors and brake pads. For the next level up of work, find an independent mechanic with experience with German cars or become best friends with the service rep at the dealership. 100k is a baby for a Benz. I would not think you should have excessive costs yet. EDIT. Just noticed that the car is 12 years old. Maybe the age is leading to more costs than at 100k on a 6 year old car?
Yeah, age issues - eg air suspension leaks (normal 10 year life), it was $2400 at an independent mech; (vs $3600 at MB). I know I will need to replace my auxiliary battery as it tested at 11.4V and now shows a warning on the dash. And I have a weird sticky 3"x4" panel around the light switch, it will cost $400 to fix, as it is an integrated panel and switch.
Thanks
I don't know anything about MB but on Lincolns with rear air suspension the normal thing seems to be to replace the air suspension with springs, and there are inexpensive kits for that.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Domadosolo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:02 am
Thanks
Buy the appropriate kit from Strutmasters and have your local mechanic install it.

I did so when the air suspension on my Chevy Suburban died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeSy9AB-Lo
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Cars are weird cuz bigger doesn't always mean roomier. My VW Golf GTI could fit someone who is 6' 7" cuz the seats go so far back it's ridiculous. Whereas my Acura RDX can barely fit someone who is 6' tall, because the seats barely go back at all. But the RDX is twice the size of the Golf.

Sometimes ya just gotta get in a car and try it out.
squirm

Post by squirm »

You have to take the car out on a long test drive and sit in it for a long time to make sure it's comfortable. I wouldn't take anyone else's opinion whether something is comfortable or not, spacious, etc everyone is different. I'm very tall, anytime I buy a car, I tell sales, expect me to sit in it for a while and take a long test drive.
gtaylor

Post by gtaylor »

vitaflo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:29 am Cars are weird cuz bigger doesn't always mean roomier. My VW Golf GTI could fit someone who is 6' 7" cuz the seats go so far back it's ridiculous. [...]
Absolutely. This also highlights an important factor for the OP to consider -- will you often have people who have to sit in the back seat? Often the front can go back enough for your comfort, but at that point the back seat ends up with zero room.

Further, all this geometry changes every few years as cars are redesigned, so there's nothing for it but going and sitting in the cars.

FWIW I'm merely 6'2" / 33". I am comfortable in a 2010 Subaru Legacy either all the way back or an inch forward from that. The seat behind has some space but not a ton.

All of this is an easy problem. The hard problem is finding a stick shift. :)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

squirm wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:49 am You have to take the car out on a long test drive and sit in it for a long time to make sure it's comfortable. I wouldn't take anyone else's opinion whether something is comfortable or not, spacious, etc everyone is different. I'm very tall, anytime I buy a car, I tell sales, expect me to sit in it for a while and take a long test drive.
+1, being told by another tall driver that a particular model is comfortable doesn't mean much. Two people with the same height can be built very differently. And sometimes even within the same model there will be differences (e.g., different trim levels will have different bolstering, seat adjustment, lumbar).
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

02nz wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am
squirm wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:49 am You have to take the car out on a long test drive and sit in it for a long time to make sure it's comfortable. I wouldn't take anyone else's opinion whether something is comfortable or not, spacious, etc everyone is different. I'm very tall, anytime I buy a car, I tell sales, expect me to sit in it for a while and take a long test drive.
+1, being told by another tall driver that a particular model is comfortable doesn't mean much. Two people with the same height can be built very differently. And sometimes even within the same model there will be differences (e.g., different trim levels will have different bolstering, seat adjustment, lumbar).
Exactly. Also I find that on most cars as the seat goes back it also goes down - as in even if it has a height adjustment, you end up sitting lower. While that may be the idea so you head won't hit, you can end up sitting like you were in a low-profile sports car - which some people like but many don't. With me I'm relatively short from the waist up, so when I have the seat back enough for my legs, often I feel like I'm sitting in a hole unless I resort to pillows or similar. Even sometimes the instruments look odd because you're not parallel to them, but rather looking up.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

6-2 34 inseam, I think cars are better for fitting taller people than they used to be. We have also had cars, not SUV. Most of the time I have seat all the way to the back. Some american cars seem like they have more room, but you feel like you are sitting lower.

Suggest test drives and even renting similar cars for a few days.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Do you have Skoda cars in America?
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

vitaflo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:29 am Cars are weird cuz bigger doesn't always mean roomier. My VW Golf GTI could fit someone who is 6' 7" cuz the seats go so far back it's ridiculous. Whereas my Acura RDX can barely fit someone who is 6' tall, because the seats barely go back at all. But the RDX is twice the size of the Golf.

that driver's space in a GTI is great !
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

minimalistmarc wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:49 pm Do you have Skoda cars in America?
I haven't seen Skodas in the US
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I have to hide the extra key for the Subaru Forester from my partner who also has a 37 inch inseam. He kind of gave me a lot of crap (in jest) for buying a nicer-than-we-usually-buy new car last year. He finds it extremely comfortable to drive and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get an opportunity to tease him sometime in the near future.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

6'7" with 36" inseam.

I am on my 2nd Chevy Equinox. Plenty of headroom, plenty of legroom. Plenty of room in back seat for my 6'7" son , my 6'9" son is a little cramped.

Wife has Subaru Outback...not as much room but is ok.

I have driven both in excess of 800 miles in one day.

Ed
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

MP173 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:18 pm 6'7" with 36" inseam.

I am on my 2nd Chevy Equinox. Plenty of headroom, plenty of legroom. Plenty of room in back seat for my 6'7" son , my 6'9" son is a little cramped.

Wife has Subaru Outback...not as much room but is ok.

I have driven both in excess of 800 miles in one day.

Ed
I drove the GMC Terrian a few years back... I was comfortable with the space. Just wished the seat bottom was longer and supported a bit more of my thigh.
6'9" in the back seat is just insane :D
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Re: Calling all Long legged BHers for SUV or car advice

Post by Domadosolo »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:54 am
02nz wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am
Exactly. Also I find that on most cars as the seat goes back it also goes down - as in even if it has a height adjustment, you end up sitting lower. While that may be the idea so you head won't hit, you can end up sitting like you were in a low-profile sports car - which some people like but many don't. With me I'm relatively short from the waist up, so when I have the seat back enough for my legs, often I feel like I'm sitting in a hole unless I resort to pillows or similar. Even sometimes the instruments look odd because you're not parallel to them, but rather looking up.
True... I need to visit a Carmax or dealer for a test sit-in
Ted17

Post by Ted17 »

Domadosolo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:06 am
Ted17 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:39 pm https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bes ... all-people

Thanks for that list... Ive found a lack of relationship between stated legroom and actual comfort. I don't know what goes into that measurement.
What vehicle has that extendable thigh rest?
Audi Q7 - standard seats are not great but the upgraded seats were very comfortable albeit harder to find. BMW, Lincoln, Volvo (and a few others I’m sure) have same extendable thigh rest as well. Agree can’t use stated leg room as a marker for comfort.
phxjcc

Re: Calling all Long legged BHers for SUV or Car advice

Post by phxjcc »

Factors to consider:
1. Depth of seat—Asian makes are shorter, but some have adjustable depth; the LX570 does.
2. Rearward seat travel. Important but not the end-all stat that most (ahem!) think it is.
3. Knee bolsters on the driver’s side—I once attempted to drive a ca. 2004 Escalade and could not get my entire foot (size 14) on the pedals because of the @&)($& knee bolster. My shin kept hitting the thing and I could not get to the pedal.
4. Driving position—legs out vs. legs down.
Legs out will be more comfortable. My S-class is more comfortable than the Dodge truck, but the truck has more “room”. Less pressure on the back of the thighs be cause my legs are not hanging down.
5. Steering wheel adjustability.
I have actually torqued my knee getting into cars because I had to act like gymnast just to reach the pedals. Eg. 68 kharman Ghia.

I would go S-class MBZ CPO.
If you need space, an E class wagon with 4 Matic if you need AWD.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

Domadosolo wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:47 pm ...
- What else have you been comfortable in?
Full-sized American pickup from one of the big three -- Ford F150, Chevy Silverado, or Dodge Ram.

You want the regular duty, not the HD version, the latter of which is built to work and hence rougher-riding.

The days of pickups being uncomfortable and work-centric are long gone. You're seated up high, so you don't have to climb "down" into a car. You've got tons of legroom, shoulder room, hip room, etc. And it's powerful and fun to drive :)

I'm partial to my F-150, but the segment is so competitive that you really can't go wrong with any of the Big Three.

Oh -- and the fuel efficiency is getting pretty good, too. Think Chevy's diesel full-size pickup can get 30 on the highway; Ford isn't far behind with 28. The gassers tend top out down around 23 on the highway.

lgs88
merely an interested amateur
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 pm This thread makes me feel short, despite by 6'1" height. :(

Our current vehicle is a Buick Encore, and despite being referred to as a subcompact SUV, I cannot position the seat as far back as it would go and comfortably reach the pedals. I suspect that someone a few inches taller than me would do just fine with it.
I believe it is the same platform as the Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain - Good review from another BH-er.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Domadosolo wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 am
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 pm This thread makes me feel short, despite by 6'1" height. :(

I believe it is the same platform as the Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain - Good review from another BH-er.
No, the Buick Encore is a subcompact CUV that is made by SIAC-GM in China, alongside the basically identical Chevy Trax and Opel/Vauxhall Mokka. The Buick equivalent to the Equinox/Terrain is the Envision.
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:56 am
Domadosolo wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 am

No, the Buick Encore is a subcompact CUV that is made by SIAC-GM in China, alongside the basically identical Chevy Trax and Opel/Vauxhall Mokka. The Buick equivalent to the Equinox/Terrain is the Envision.
Thanks for the clarification
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Domadosolo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:46 pm
vitaflo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:29 am Cars are weird cuz bigger doesn't always mean roomier. My VW Golf GTI could fit someone who is 6' 7" cuz the seats go so far back it's ridiculous. Whereas my Acura RDX can barely fit someone who is 6' tall, because the seats barely go back at all. But the RDX is twice the size of the Golf.

that driver's space in a GTI is great !
It is but you’re not going to fit anyone in the back seat with the front seat all the way back. It almost touches the back seat. But VW know who buys GTI’s. It’s not people with kids. So they allow the seat to slide back to ridiculous levels because most owners aren’t really going to use the back seat.

Opposite is true with the RDX. It’s built for families so the front seats barely move back at all to guarantee that there is always space for the rear passengers. Since we don’t have kids the lack of seat adjustment in the RDX is quite annoying.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Toyota Tundra (loaded) truck.

Added/Wheelchair type thick gel seat cushion. (best padding I could find, easier on the back on long drives)
Great adjustable power seat and steering wheel.
Depending on the position, my left knee cap really likes to bang into the dash !!! But, I think that's just how I sit in the seat and not actual legroom which is vast.

I have a really hard time "shoe horning" myself into small normal car/small suv type door openings and low roof heights, also low to the ground cars.

The full size pickups have large openings and the door swings open very wide.
This might be helpful to you.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Old Goat

Post by Old Goat »

Tall guy with a 2019 Honda Pilot, works well!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I am a giant and I drive a Toyota 4Runner. A full size pickup truck with 4 doors could also be my friend.
Subaru: Rather tight in the knees, but driveable. Try before you buy.
Nissan Altima: Fine in the front seat, not possible in the back seat.

There is no substitute for sitting in a car for a while and feeling things out. Head, knees, legs, shoulders, hips, fingers, view. Fingers are often a tight fit between the steering wheel and my left knee.

A test drive is also helpful, but usually not by much. Long ago I vetted out one full size SUV that had a badly placed switch actuated by my knee every time we hit a bump.

I have often gone to the local Auto Show to sit in as many cars as possible when I am in the market for a new one. Perhaps not possible this year.
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:51 pm Toyota Tundra (loaded) truck.

Added/Wheelchair type thick gel seat cushion. (best padding I could find, easier on the back on long drives)
Great adjustable power seat and steering wheel.
Depending on the position, my left knee cap really likes to bang into the dash !!! But, I think that's just how I sit in the seat and not actual legroom which is vast.

I have a really hard time "shoe horning" myself into small normal car/small suv type door openings and low roof heights, also low to the ground cars.

The full size pickups have large openings and the door swings open very wide.
This might be helpful to you.

j :happy
Banging into the dash brought back memories of my first little car. My knees were firmly in the 9-3 position :D
Topic Author
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

Old Goat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:01 pm Tall guy with a 2019 Honda Pilot, works well!
Thanks
wander

Post by wander »

Long legged BHers? Lexus LS can fit any tall person.
Compound

Post by Compound »

phxjcc wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 pm Factors to consider:
1. Depth of seat—Asian makes are shorter, but some have adjustable depth; the LX570 does.
2. Rearward seat travel. Important but not the end-all stat that most (ahem!) think it is.
3. Knee bolsters on the driver’s side—I once attempted to drive a ca. 2004 Escalade and could not get my entire foot (size 14) on the pedals because of the @&)($& knee bolster. My shin kept hitting the thing and I could not get to the pedal.
Legs out will be more comfortable. My S-class is more comfortable than the Dodge truck, but the truck has more “room”. Less pressure on the back of the thighs be cause my legs are not hanging down.
I have actually torqued my knee getting into cars because I had to act like gymnast just to reach the pedals. Eg. 68 kharman Ghia.

I just looked up prices. Those MB recommendations look expensive! What do you think about the value of such cars? They look beautiful, just don’t know if I could stomach the price!

OP — I’m in your ballpark size-wise and feel like I’ve done a zillion “test sits” in my life. I’m currently driving a 2018 Honda Accord Sport. This model has power seats with several adjustments and is without a sunroof. For those less vertically inclined, both of these features can be very helpful for tall drivers.

(Edited a typo — put in wrong model year)
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Compound wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:03 pm
phxjcc wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 pm Factors to consider:

I just looked up prices. Those MB recommendations look expensive! What do you think about the value of such cars? They look beautiful, just don’t know if I could stomach the price!

OP — I’m in your ballpark size-wise and feel like I’ve done a zillion “test sits” in my life. I’m currently driving a 2018 Honda Accord Sport. This model has power seats with several adjustments and is without a sunroof. For those less vertically inclined, both of these features can be very helpful for tall drivers.

(Edited a typo — put in wrong model year)
2016 wagons will be low to mid 30k
2017 will be 40ish
Both CPO FROM A DEALER.

Value is high if you are a car geek.
If you want a toaster (transportation appliance) it will seem egregiously expensive when compared to, say, an Outback.

The tech is there, however.
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

I’m not quite that tall and my upper body is long not legs. But I think cars with a low hip point are the most comfortable for me.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

We've got a Prius V (the wagon-ish one) that is plenty roomy, seats go back farther than I could use (though I'm only 6'3").

Not as luxurious as the other options you're looking at, though.Tons of room in the back even with the front seats fairly far back.