Re: Real estate investing in current COVID situation

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

Hi all,
I was looking into real estate investing (Equity multiple and other online companies - also mentioned by WCI and Physician on fire etc).
I wonder if the current COVID situation has changed anyone's plans ?
IOW - More home office, less work office etc mean lesser 'need' for real estate?
Thanks
annu

Post by annu »

Maybe if you share the company it will help with specific feedback. I am still looking, nothing changed where we are, RE market is still doing well. Looking for a commercial property personally, as if nothing else, many companies will downsize and might move to smaller offices, but still there are others who will keep an office, like medical....
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

COVID-19 has had zero impact on my real estate investing. I'm still a landlord. I still hold the same number of shares of the Fidelity REIT Index. I still invest in Groundfloor hard money notes.
For entertainment purposes only.
Topic Author
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

AerialWombat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:00 pm COVID-19 has had zero impact on my real estate investing. I'm still a landlord. I still hold the same number of shares of the Fidelity REIT Index. I still invest in Groundfloor hard money notes.
Thanks.
Can you give me some more feedback about your Groundfloor experience?
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Mrxyz wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:11 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:00 pm COVID-19 has had zero impact on my real estate investing. I'm still a landlord. I still hold the same number of shares of the Fidelity REIT Index. I still invest in Groundfloor hard money notes.
Thanks.
Can you give me some more feedback about your Groundfloor experience?
Groundfloor can be a mixed bag. It’s the riskiest thing I do, and I currently limit my total capital at risk to $20k. I’m 19 months into the test, and my average return is just over 10%. I have put a tremendous amount of time into reading their LRO notes, backup funding docs, and more. I made a 24 month self-commitment to test it.

I would personally never put money into something like Fundrise or similar ilk. The terms are terrible in my opinion, and money is locked up for years, rather than 3-12 months for Groundfloor.

All that said, I’m more likely to do direct private lending with 1 or 2 people I trust than bump my Groundfloor capital to six figures.
For entertainment purposes only.