Any MVNO have 5G?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mxs

Any MVNO have 5G?

Post by mxs »

I am curious if anyone has a 5G phone on a MVNO, I am most interested in Total Wireless, and can confirm that they get 5G service.

I am personally on Total Wireless with a 4G phone and I am looking at new phones in the near future. There is a premium on 5G phones and it would only be worth considering if you actually are able to get 5G service.
sycamore

Re: Any MVNO have 5G?

Post by sycamore »

The subject of your post asks if any MVNO have 5G. The answer is yes, as your your indicated. And other MVNOs are offering it: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/com ... ess_to_5g/

The body of your post asks if anyone has a 5G phone on a MVNO. I don't. I don't know anyone who does either.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

mxs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:59 pm I am curious if anyone has a 5G phone on a MVNO, I am most interested in Total Wireless, and can confirm that they get 5G service.

I am personally on Total Wireless with a 4G phone and I am looking at new phones in the near future. There is a premium on 5G phones and it would only be worth considering if you actually are able to get 5G service.
Currently, 5g service is also extremely location dependent, not just provider dependent. Is there 5g service where you live? The places you visit most frequently? If not, then it probably isn't worth upgrading the phone just yet. Check in again when you are actually ready to purchase your new phone. If it seems to be rolling out around you between now and then, you might have a case.

Actually, I have a vested interest in you buying 5G everything, so if you, dear reader, choose not to, please send a portion of the savings to gofundmysailboat.com.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

sailaway wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm
mxs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:59 pm I am curious if anyone has a 5G phone on a MVNO, I am most interested in Total Wireless, and can confirm that they get 5G service.

Currently, 5g service is also extremely location dependent, not just provider dependent. Is there 5g service where you live? The places you visit most frequently? If not, then it probably isn't worth upgrading the phone just yet. Check in again when you are actually ready to purchase your new phone. If it seems to be rolling out around you between now and then, you might have a case.

Actually, I have a vested interest in you buying 5G everything, so if you, dear reader, choose not to, please send a portion of the savings to gofundmysailboat.com.
I, too, would rather be sailing, but browsing to gofundmysailboat.com gets redirected to moneydownthedrain.com :wink:
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Are there any immediate benefits of 5G? For what purpose does one really need more than 100 Mb per sec (LTE speed) in a cell phone? Right now there is a big price premium for 5G that I don't see providing any particular benefit.

For a device that is typically replaced in 2 years, I would not consider buying a 5G phone now. LTE has been plenty fast for what I need. If the value proposition becomes different the next time I need a phone in a couple of years, I might make a different decision.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

5G is near joke status at the current time. Standards remain undeveloped or not finalized, spectrum has not been fully allocated, infrastructure hasn't been deployed (see the first), and handsets are very limited. One plan is to use millimeter waves, which would require base stations every few hundred meters everywhere. Outside the city, sounds like a fantastic plan for operations. Other than that, why not run out and buy a phone with a 5G label pasted on the box?

I did appreciate the humor on Cricket's page:
Cricket wrote:
In the future, 5G will open the world to:
Self-driving cars
Improved mobile multi-player gaming
Interactive personalized AR/VR experiences

Sure, what a great reason for mobile technology so that we can have improved multiplayer gaming. Just what most folks really need in a mobile technology. And what would we do without a virtual reality experience after dinner.

As for self-driving cars, they do exist and if they need to depend on mobile phone networks in the future, we are all in trouble.

Short version, "5G" has little to offer at the current time. Maybe years from now we'll all need 500 Mbps speeds.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I picked my my 78 year old father-in-law an LG V40 for $220. His phone was shot.

Now at 78, he has the first 5G phone in the family. :D

I am going to see if he is getting "5GE" coverage in our area. We are on the list for early 5G. 5GE isn't 5G, but upgraded LTE. But only his phone would show that.

The n wave bands go farther, the m wave are very fast, but very small area.

Like any tech, there will be early adopters to help pay for the expansion. I encourage people to sign up for 5G right away.

If Cricket includes it in their plans, I might have to think about a 5G iPhone when such a thing exists. :wink:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs »

I wrote my first post in a slightly confusing manner. I meant to be asking if anyone can personally confirm getting 5G service with a MVNO. I cannot. Thank you for the reply saying that Cricket will be offering 5G soon. I buy phones every 3-4 years so 5G might be wise now, and Motorola is selling a 5G phone for ~$350-$450 in Europe (Moto G 5G Plus), and they claim they will sell a somewhat similar if not identical phone in the US later this year. That would be a good upgrade to my Moto G5s Plus.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Cricket is technically not a MVNO, but an ATT brand.
Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 pm Cricket is technically not a MVNO, but an ATT brand.
Good point, they are the official pre pay version of ATT, correct?

Some of the advertising seems to say that carriers say you can get 5G on phone "X", not sure if they are trying to simplify or guarantee the phone to work on their version of 5G or if it is some salesmanship.

The LG listed above seems to have a reasonable price and much less price premium for 5G. I am partial to Motorola so I probably will wait for their offering. I expect that few new phones will be offered without some version 5G later this year and next year.

I won't be going for a $1k+ Samsung or whatever Apple comes out with next.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:35 pm
Cricket wrote:
Self-driving cars

As for self-driving cars, they do exist and if they need to depend on mobile phone networks in the future, we are all in trouble.

Short version, "5G" has little to offer at the current time. Maybe years from now we'll all need 500 Mbps speeds.
Well... today’s “self-driving” cars are quite limited in their capabilities. Here’s an article about how 5G could improve them in the future:

https://www.cnet.com/news/5g-could-make ... tes-safer/

Of course, that’s got nothing to do with MVNOs and cell phones and the OP’s questions.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 pm
Cricket wrote:
Self-driving cars

Well... today’s “self-driving” cars are quite limited in their capabilities. Here’s an article about how 5G could improve them in the future:

Of course, that’s got nothing to do with MVNOs and cell phones and the OP’s questions.
Sure but I'll be very patient for a few decades while they figure this out. And if I don't pay for service this month, the car doesn't work without crashing? Or if I go into a tunnel or drive across the desert without 3/4G service, let along closely spaced 5G towers, the "smart" features turn into ludicrous mode?

Sounds like another great plan to predicate driving technology on cell service. Safety technology that is dependent on an external third party network to be safe is not a sound idea.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:52 pm
Cricket wrote:
Self-driving cars

Sure but I'll be very patient for a few decades while they figure this out. And if I don't pay for service this month, the car doesn't work without crashing? Or if I go into a tunnel or drive across the desert without 3/4G service, let along closely spaced 5G towers, the "smart" features turn into ludicrous mode?

Sounds like another great plan to predicate driving technology on cell service. Safety technology that is dependent on an external third party network to be safe is not a sound idea.
Actually, 5G should allow the cars to talk directly to each other, rather than via an external network.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

sailaway wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:54 pm
criticalmass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:52 pm
Cricket wrote:
Self-driving cars

Actually, 5G should allow the cars to talk directly to each other, rather than via an external network.
Actually, yet undefined "5G" mobile networks nor a massive 150+ Mbps data stream aren't needed for local communications between vehicles to support self driving. Any number of protocols could do that including one designed for the purpose, 802.11p. And self driving that depends on massive radio links with cooperating vehicles is doomed, especially on roads where there may be pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles, wildlife, horses, carriages, children, scooters, and power failures.