Replacing appliances--buy dumb

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bogle7

Re: Replacing appliances--buy dumb

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm

I think there are really 3 categories:
Dumb. No smarts. No internet connection.
Smart. Microprocessors to manage the cycle.
Internet connected.

I like smart.
Our Miele dishwasher, washer and dryer are smart.
Our Miele speed oven and convection oven are semi smart.

I like dumb.
Our Sub-Zero refrigerator and wine cooler are dumb.
Our 3 Panasonic TVs are dumb.

[Sometimes, very few times] I like internet connected.
Our Rachio sprinkler controller is genius. Knows about the weather and modifies the sprinkling cycle.
Our Apple TV boxes work very well.

One of the big differences for me when buying is price and expected longevity.
If my Rachio controller becomes obsolete, then I buy a new one for $300. No big deal.
With a $10K refrigerator I do not want to depend upon software updates.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:40 pm

I wish it were easier to find dumb TVs.... At this point, all I want is the viewing panel, the speakers, and an HDMI input. I don't need or want any apps on the TV, or firmware to update, etc. Don't need it to be wifi connected, etc. But I don't think TVs like that are available anymore.... I haven't looked in a while....

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Normchad wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:40 pm
I wish it were easier to find dumb TVs.... At this point, all I want is the viewing panel, the speakers, and an HDMI input. I don't need or want any apps on the TV, or firmware to update, etc. Don't need it to be wifi connected, etc. But I don't think TVs like that are available anymore.... I haven't looked in a while....
What you want to shop for is a very large computer monitor. I went on the dumb TV quest a few months ago, and was unable to find one online or offline. But an oversized computer monitor with speakers -- that fits the bill.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:32 pm

After many years our dumb GE washer and dryer needed replacement. Since we got used to Speed Queen washers at the laundromat when our GE washer needed repairs, we replaced it with a dumb new top-load Speed Queen washer. Then our GE dryer fully broke down, and we replaced it with a Speed Queen dryer. Our new Speed Queen machines have 5 year warranty. I am an engineer, and I believe buying with extra 'Smart' features opens you up for problems with these Smart features, so Smart features actually will make your life more complicated.