Disappointed in Apple but there is a bright side

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
zthomas_az

Disappointed in Apple but there is a bright side

Post by zthomas_az » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:30 pm

Purchased Apple watch 2 42" in 2018

It's now 2020, the battery has swollen and is so damaged the display would not turn on. Did some researching online and Apple did a campaign about just this issue. They said they could take it in and diagnose it. Was told "This campaign is not on our official website so this is fake"
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/14/ap ... ce-policy/
There was even a class action claim https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/02/ap ... ew-jersey/

OK. I played their game and they offered to fix my watch for $253!! And they are selling new Apple watch 3s for $200. :x :shock:
So I guess this is how companies treat loyal customers now.

So i went on ifixit.com and ordered a new battery repair kit and it worked - $31, and 2 hours of my time.

As I get older (I'm 32 next week), these situations make me more and more aggravated but there is nothing we can really do. I have given up Apple computers and am very happy with my PC. Really all we can do is vote with our wallets. Now that I am debt free (except mortgage) I watch the way money of varying sums goes in my life and the planned obsolescence in consumer devices is real. The $253 may be minor to some but it just fascinates me the inflows and outflows. The entire system is setup to put us on a hamster wheel of debt, vanity and keeping up with the Joneses. smh

End of rant! Curious for the wisdom/experiences of folks with more experience than I :sharebeer

sycamore

Re: Disappointed in Apple but there is a bright side

Post by sycamore » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Be glad you're not dealing with a lousy washing machine :)

People have been complaining about declining product quality for decades. Planned obsolescence and all that. As for me, I've seen some things get better, some things get worse. C'est la vie.

Bogle7

I buy what Tim tells me to buy

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm

We have opted for the complete Apple experience.
Ecosystem works well for us.
Products perform excellently. We have have had one problem in 15 years which was fixed under warranty.
Prices are fine with us.

RocketShipTech

Post by RocketShipTech » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Who forced you to buy an Apple Watch in the first place?

Post by 123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:44 pm

RocketShipTech wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm
It was probably that little voice inside of his head. Mine tells me to buy a Timex.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

beernutz

Re: I buy what Tim tells me to buy

Post by beernutz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
We have opted for the complete Apple experience.
Ecosystem works well for us.
Products perform excellently. We have have had one problem in 15 years which was fixed under warranty.
Prices are fine with us.
How's the koolaid taste?
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

Bogle7

History is easily learned

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:57 pm

beernutz wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 pm
How's the koolaid taste?
Flavor-Aid. Know your Jonestown meme.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm

123 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:44 pm
RocketShipTech wrote:
It was probably that little voice inside of his head. Mine tells me to buy a Timex.
Because you are channeling John Cameron Swayze.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 pm

So how is this actionable?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (rant). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.