Looking for a new job - deciding if the grass is greener?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Looking for a new job - deciding if the grass is greener?

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:47 pm

I've been at the same job for a while and like everything it has pros and cons. I'll occasionally look on GlassDoor or elsewhere and see jobs that I'm qualified for but nothing that really jumps out. If I do switch, I'd want something that I enjoy more, pays decent, has flexibility, a great manager -- all of which is pretty much impossible to tell by job descriptions. I would love to be able pre-screen jobs (at least get a salary range) before taking the time to apply and possibly starting the interview process.

How do you get a feel for a job before applying?

Also, (especially for those in IT) what sites do you like to use to find jobs? And do you put your resume out there to have recruiters contact you?

Normchad

Re: Looking for a new job - deciding if the grass is greener?

Post by Normchad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:48 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:47 pm
I've been at the same job for a while and like everything it has pros and cons. I'll occasionally look on GlassDoor or elsewhere and see jobs that I'm qualified for but nothing that really jumps out. If I do switch, I'd want something that I enjoy more, pays decent, has flexibility, a great manager -- all of which is pretty much impossible to tell by job descriptions. I would love to be able pre-screen jobs (at least get a salary range) before taking the time to apply and possibly starting the interview process.

Also, (especially for those in IT) what sites do you like to use to find jobs? And do you put your resume out there to have recruiters contact you?
Do you have friends at other companies? Ask them how they like their jobs, theirs bosses, their pay. Word of mouth is a great place to start.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:52 pm

Normchad wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:48 pm
Do you have friends at other companies? Ask them how they like their jobs, theirs bosses, their pay. Word of mouth is a great place to start.
Yep, that's what I do if I know someone there. I also find GlassDoor's company ratings helpful. But one challenge is most of the companies/organizations I'm looking at are quite large so things can vary quite a bit depending on department / manager, etc.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:58 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:52 pm
Normchad wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:48 pm
Yep, that's what I do if I know someone there. I also find GlassDoor's company ratings helpful. But one challenge is most of the companies/organizations I'm looking at are quite large so things can vary quite a bit depending on department / manager, etc.
I don’t like Glassdoor. I think the data there is dodgy. It’s a combination of disgruntled employees, and shills for the company trying to pump it up.

I don’t think it’s possible to get real salary information that is applicable to you, without going to some interviews and getting some job offers. It’s work, but if you find a 20K bump or whatever, it’s worth it. The only way to find your true worth is to figure out what others are willing to pay you.

The other stuff is even harder. If you bet offers, ask if you can have a follow up phone call with somebody similar in age to yourself, in a similar position.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Your LinkedIn profile has a setting for passively looking for a job .

You will get recruiters contacting you.

A nephew hooked up with a recruiter (don't know how) who looks for jobs for him. This has been lucrative for him, as he changed jobs every few years, each time moving up in salary.

slyfox1357

Post by slyfox1357 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Recruiters, friends and work friends/acquaintances who work there AND who used to work there (LinkedIn)....this should give you a good coverage.

NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:47 pm

OP, how secure is your current field and financial situation? This is just my opinion, but I think we have yet to see the real economic consequences of the pandemic. The government has been trying to support the economy and The stock market continues to climb, but it seems artificial. At some point the other shoe will drop. I would be hesitant to make any career moves now if you are in a secure job. IT can be notoriously unstable.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks all. I was researching one job opportunity and found the whole team listed online. I would love to reach out to people in a similar position to learn more, but am guessing that isn't kosher. I did look up their salaries (I'd be happy with the higher end) and will continue to research the group and team leader. If I decide to apply and if I get an interview, I'll make sure to ask plenty of questions that will give me a feel for work culture and colleagues. Hopefully I'm not coming across as picky, it's just I'm pretty satisfied with my current job so if I switch would want to enjoy my next gig just as much.
NYCaviator wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 pm

OP, how secure is your current field and financial situation? This is just my opinion, but I think we have yet to see the real economic consequences of the pandemic. The government has been trying to support the economy and The stock market continues to climb, but it seems artificial. At some point the other shoe will drop. I would be hesitant to make any career moves now if you are in a secure job. IT can be notoriously unstable.
Financial situation is very good. Current job is very secure, although I may be asked to reduce hours due to contract cuts. Most jobs I'm looking at have long contracts so also seem secure. I'd probably give up some job security if I switch because I've tried to myself invaluable at my current position. But I think a transition will be better for me career wise.