What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
friar1610

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by friar1610 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm

"Driveways" starring Brian Dennehy in what I believe was his last role before hid death. Tender-hearted story about a crusty old Korean War vet befriending a young boy. We saw it on our library-provided Hoopla access. Think it's also a paid option on Amazon.
Friar1610

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:22 pm

“Den of Thieves” on Netflix. Really good!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 pm

The arrival, on Blu-ray DVD, 1996. Charlie Sheen is the main character. Not to be confused with Arrival (2016).

An astronomer discovers aliens living on earth. The aliens don't want to be discovered and a sci-fi action thriller ensues. Don't let the many scientific inaccuracies get in the way of advancing the plot. It's entertaining and has lots of action.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:31 pm

Finally watched Knives Out, now free with Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:14 pm

“Spinning Man” on Hulu. It was ok.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:18 am

I'm never sure about Will Farrell movies, but thought "Eurovision" was pretty funny.

Aging Icelandic rocker Farrell with partner Rachel McAdams luck into being Iceland's entry to the Eurovision song contest (it's a real thing!). Pierce Brosnan, Demi Lavoto, and Dan Stevens in supporting roles, with Stevens doing a standout job.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:15 pm

A Dog’s Life (Silent, 1918) — Directed by and starring Charles Chaplin

The Little Tramp and his dog companion struggle to survive in the inner city.

Some pretty funny stuff. What can I say, the man was a genius. Charlie’s half-brother Syd and Syd’s wife Minnie have small roles. This was Chaplin’s first film for First National Films, for which he signed a contract for $1,000,000 for eight pictures and had full creative control for the first time. In 1918 that was a huge sum of money. ($20 million in 2020 dollars).

When watching a film this old, 102 years, it’s like a window into another world.

Recommended.

I streamed it on the Criterion Channel.
There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:50 am

Murder By Death, on Amazon Prime.

A mystery/comedy mocks detective novels and novelists for outlandish plots. A mysterious millionaire invites famous detectives (Charlie Chan, Sam Spade, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Nick and Nora Charles) to his country home to challenge them to solve a murder which hasn't happened yet.

This is a very good movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Charade (1963) with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, and a few actors from the Dirty Dozen.
A decent movie, mix between Alfred Hitchcock and a romantic comedy. Some action, guns, hand-to-hand fighting.
And a surprise ending, eventhough I thought I figured it out [incorrectly] a few times in the middle of the movie.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 am

Short Term 12 on Amazon Prime. A story about twenty-somethings supervising in a home for at-risk teens. 98%/92% on RT. Highly recommend.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Nights in Rodanthe on Netflix

I dont like Richard Gere movies but for some reason I watched this one. Very good. Well directed & well acted. Different.

Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:19 pm

I,Tonya and Dogman on Hulu. Dogman is an Italian movie with subtitles. Enjoyed and would recommend them both.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580036/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6768578/

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Parasite - DVD Rental

Not really sure what to think of this one. I can see where people may think it's overrated, while others think so highly of it. It almost defies categorization or description. The movie has so many layers, keeping you guessing, then shocking you with twists, flipping from social satire to dark comedy to horror to thriller then back again. At the very least, I found it quite the ride!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:35 am

The Woman in Green, on Amazon Prime.

This is a Sherlock Holmes mystery starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. Several women in London are murdered, and a finger cut off, as part of a sinister plot. I recommend this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:39 pm

sixtyforty wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 am
Short Term 12 on Amazon Prime. A story about twenty-somethings supervising in a home for at-risk teens. 98%/92% on RT. Highly recommend.
Yup, and 2 Oscar winners to boot. Loved it.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:43 pm

The Moonstone

1996 film based on the classic novel of the same name by
Wilkie Collins. This novel was an early 19th century harbinger
of the detective/who-done-it genre. Excellent cast, particularly
Peter Vaughan as butler Gabriel Betteredge.
Recommended
Viewed on DVD