Recommend 3 southern locales to retire!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
palanzo

Re: Recommend 3 southern locales to retire!

Post by palanzo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:45 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:24 am
palanzo wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 am
adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:13 pm
In the US you have a choice between very humid but not too expensive places (southeast) and not humid but expensive (California).

CA has the best weather by far. I don't live there.

My parents had a place in GA. I thought it was unliveable much of the year because of heat and humidity (although they liked it). Be sure you can tolerate the weather before committing.
Also humid and expensive in the North East. The weather in California is awful. Don't come here. :mrgreen:
Humid and biting insects during the summer months everywhere except the western US. :thumbsdown
Don't encourage them 8-)

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 am

palanzo wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:58 am
Mr. Rumples wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 am
I was surprised to learn that most people in VA were not born here, I assume it is the same or approaching it in the rest of the south. As you consider the coast, keep in mind flooding, storms and so forth. Also the cost of flood insurance.

I would find out how often there is tidal flooding. I would not recommend the coast of VA; traffic in Hampton Roads is horrible. In Norfolk VA sea levels have risen by a foot in the last 80 years; when there is a high tide and rain, street flooding is so normal the city has put up vertical markers so folks know if it safe to drive to their homes when they can't see the road due to flooding. (Some of this is due to the area naturally sinking.) Its so bad, that at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, buildings are being reconstructed so that essential items such as computers, generators and so forth are on second floors.

Also consider storm resources. My father lived in a high rise in VA Beach. The views were beautiful. The storms were horrible. Imagine living in a high rise, coming back to check it out after a storm and having to climb 10 flights of stairs. After that ordeal, he would ride it out, carting sandbags from his storage unit up to the condo.

I am not sure you can rely on a real estate agent to give you this information.
Why are there such severe storms in VA Beach? What is the purpose of sandbags on the 10th floor of a building?
Virginia Beach is like the coast of NC, jutting out facing the sea. The purpose of the sandbags is that during a hurricane when the winds are over over 55 mph, the wind is driving the rain horizontally; height is not a plus and water, a lot of water, will be driven though every possible crevice. It is a loosing battle when your sliding glass doors were installed in the 1980's.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

retire14

Post by retire14 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 am

Charlottesville, Virginia.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:26 am

Can't argue there. That's my neck of the woods. Hot and humid in the summer, but not as bad as further south.

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am

I think it depends upon your definition of "retirement". You want to be close to the water, why? Do you like the beach, boating? Warm weather? Here in the south it gets warm and very humid (especially in Charleston, Savannah and all of Florida).

If you want more life and vibrancy, consider a major city, college towns, or small cities. Atlanta, Athens, GA, Greenville, SC, Asheville, NC all come to mind. Charleston is amazing, but it gets really hot in the summer and there are flooding issues. Florida is very affordable, but I'm not sure other than beaches and golf courses what it provides in terms of life and culture. I lived in Florida for 20 years but moved to Georgia. Georgia has many more options as far as things to do.

Pu239

Post by Pu239 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Eastern Shore of Virginia - it's rural with small communities but not as hot as further down south. Water on both sides (peninsula), bay or ocean, your choice. There's a regional hospital in Nassawadox and excellent hospitals across the Bay/Bridge tunnel in Norfolk. Cost of living is still low. Also, low probability of hurricanes compared with NC and all points south. I wouldn't mind retiring there but spouse has other ideas.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:47 pm

palanzo wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 am
manatee2005 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:41 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
In the US you have a choice between very humid but not too expensive places (southeast) and not humid but expensive (California).

My parents had a place in GA. I thought it was unliveable much of the year because of heat and humidity (although they liked it). Be sure you can tolerate the weather before committing.
California has a reputation of being expensive but still 40 million people live here, which is by 10 mil the most populous state. Can't be that expensive. Houses are expensive close to the beach, but there are plenty of places not on the beach that are reasonably priced. Also the property tax is capped at 1.3% by Prop 13.
The lack of large AC and heating bills also helps with the budget.
The AC bills are large in Sacramento and the Central Valley. CA also has the highest utility rates in the country.
Solar helps with that.

Marmot

Post by Marmot » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 am

How about Yuma, AZ,...when CA falls into the ocean. It already has lots of sun and sand :happy
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Marmot wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 am
How about Yuma, AZ,...when CA falls into the ocean. It already has lots of sun and sand :happy
No, California will not fall into the ocean. Japan will. I am afraid Arizona may someday sink and become a part of a great western inland sea. I am prudent and not moving to AZ. :wink:

"California is not going to fall into the ocean. California is firmly planted on the top of the earth’s crust in a location where it spans two tectonic plates."
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/will-californ ... e_products

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:22 pm
Daphne, AL, immediately comes to my mind. It's right on the eastern edge of Mobile Bay and is a lovely town. It's close to Fairhope, which is probably one of the most beautiful Southern towns. It's also not too far from Mobile, Pensacola, and Montgomery. The cost of living is good.
If OP likes fishing, also consider Dauphin Island, AL.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Siesta Key Sarasota Florida!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Montgomery wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:55 pm
Bogleheads:

I am interested in getting some feedback on retiring down south with the following criteria and hope you make suggestions:

1) decent cost of living (sliding scale I know but Please ruLe out the palm beaches of the world)
2) close to ocean
3) decent “community” where a transplanted northerner May be ok To fit in
4) safe

5) decent or better than average healthcare

Thanks and look forward to seeing what is posted!
Please define "decent community"?
Not sure what is a "northerner"? What is a "northerner"? Culturally? Etc?
Not sure what "fitting in" means as far as "Northerner" to what? Culturally? Demographically? Ethnically? Other?
Please define "safe"? As in not in a ghetto? Low crime area? Gated community?
What are your healthcare needs? Retirement or nursing home community possibilities? Aging in place? Mayo Clinic? Progressive health clinics?

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 pm

beernutz wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Daphne, AL, immediately comes to my mind. It's right on the eastern edge of Mobile Bay and is a lovely town. It's close to Fairhope, which is probably one of the most beautiful Southern towns. It's also not too far from Mobile, Pensacola, and Montgomery. The cost of living is good.
Just be prepared to skedaddle before another hurricane wipes the island clean....again.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:19 pm

Montgomery wrote:
... Please ruLe out the palm beaches of the world
Since you mentioned it, I have a place in Palm Beach County. It's a cheap place to live if you want a condo, but single-family homes are fairly expensive. The condos run in the $130-$150k range depending on updates and whether you can deal with stairs, 2br 2ba. Real estate taxes are very high ($3k?) for me due to not being a resident - cheaper if you are a resident. It's 3mi from the beach, 6-8 min drive if you don't encounter an open bridge (1) or a train (1.) Utilities are cheap but condo fees run around $350/mo.

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 pm
beernutz wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Just be prepared to skedaddle before another hurricane wipes the island clean....again.
I live 20 minutes from DI. It has never been wiped clean. Fredrick was the worst, then Ivan, then Katrina. It survived all of them.

Wiped clean is what Katrina did in Waveland, MS. I was there a couple of days after the storm bringing supplies.

You'd be wise to skedaddle if you are within 10 miles of the coast if a 3 or higher is heading your way.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:00 pm

palanzo wrote:
Mr. Rumples wrote:
I was surprised to learn that most people in VA were not born here, I assume it is the same or approaching it in the rest of the south. As you consider the coast, keep in mind flooding, storms and so forth. Also the cost of flood insurance.

I would find out how often there is tidal flooding. I would not recommend the coast of VA; traffic in Hampton Roads is horrible. In Norfolk VA sea levels have risen by a foot in the last 80 years; when there is a high tide and rain, street flooding is so normal the city has put up vertical markers so folks know if it safe to drive to their homes when they can't see the road due to flooding. (Some of this is due to the area naturally sinking.) Its so bad, that at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, buildings are being reconstructed so that essential items such as computers, generators and so forth are on second floors.

Also consider storm resources. My father lived in a high rise in VA Beach. The views were beautiful. The storms were horrible. Imagine living in a high rise, coming back to check it out after a storm and having to climb 10 flights of stairs. After that ordeal, he would ride it out, carting sandbags from his storage unit up to the condo.

Why are there such severe storms in VA Beach? What is the purpose of sandbags on the 10th floor of a building?
Lived in VA beach/Chesapeake for 8 years and my wife for 28. I have no idea what this person is talking about. Sandbags up 10 flights? Any eastern coastal city is going to have storms and the further south you go the worse they can be. Nor Easters can be brutal. It's likely this persons dad lived right on the ocean or the Bay. Yes Norfolk floods that's what happens when you build a town along the mouth of 2 tidal rivers, a bay and the ocean. The naval base is virtually surrounded by water. There's a reason it was called the Tidewater area prior to the "hampton roads" rebranding

The traffic is heavy but that depends on where you live.

There are plenty of places in VA beach, Suffolk and Chesapeake that don't require flood insurance. Plus you can cross right into NC and are very close to the outer banks. Or head up the 64 corridor toward Williamsburg and Richmond area.

Frankly, VA, NC, SC and GA have retirement potential and can be close to the Ocean.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm
Montgomery wrote:
Bogleheads:

I am interested in getting some feedback on retiring down south with the following criteria and hope you make suggestions:

1) decent cost of living (sliding scale I know but Please ruLe out the palm beaches of the world)
2) close to ocean
4) safe

Not sure what "fitting in" means as far as "Northerner" to what? Culturally? Demographically? Ethnically? Other?
What are your healthcare needs? Retirement or nursing home community possibilities? Aging in place? Mayo Clinic? Progressive health clinics?

Most people I know that live in the South(including me) define a northerner as a loudmouthed, obnoxious, tough guy, always in hurry, rude person that constantly complains the only good pizza is from ______ ,talks about where they are from as it's the center of the universe and thinks they know how things should be done here, does not appreciate college football and last but not least, thinks we are the ones that have an accent.

Generally from a major city/suburbs along the I-95 corridor starting about Philly and and ending in Mass. (Eastern PA, NJ, NYC, lower upstate, CT, RI, MA). Can also be from a major city along the I90/94 corridor west to Chicago.

The south is full of transplants.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 am
palanzo wrote:
Mr. Rumples wrote:

Virginia Beach is like the coast of NC, jutting out facing the sea. The purpose of the sandbags is that during a hurricane when the winds are over over 55 mph, the wind is driving the rain horizontally; height is not a plus and water, a lot of water, will be driven though every possible crevice. It is a loosing battle when your sliding glass doors were installed in the 1980's.
Every coastal town faces the sea. I'll give you the the horizontal rain but again that's everywhere along the coast. I was 15 miles inland during Isabel and had rain coming in through 2 or three different windows. Believe it or not I experienced the same thing in Roanoke, VA during a high wind scenario that was blowing at 60+ mph for hours on end.

So where did he put the sandbags?

rob

Post by rob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:47 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm
Marmot wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 am
No, California will not fall into the ocean. Japan will. I am afraid Arizona may someday sink and become a part of a great western inland sea. I am prudent and not moving to AZ. :wink:

"California is not going to fall into the ocean. California is firmly planted on the top of the earth’s crust in a location where it spans two tectonic plates."
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/will-californ ... e_products
Correct.... However your living room might move north while your bedrooms move south :D

The harder part is figuring out the taxes... some traditional high tax states are good for retirees while some traditional low tax states are worse. Try and look to exemptions, how SS is taxes, What thresholds might exist for oldies (skipping school tax from local taxes etc). We talk about weather because it's easy to determine in comparison.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Perkunas

Post by Perkunas » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Montgomery wrote:
Bogleheads:

2) close to ocean
4) safe

What size community are you looking for?
What are your interests?
Do you want space and a yard or is a condo acceptable?
Need immediate access to airport?
Where are you moving from?
Do you care about traffic?

You can pretty much throw a dart anywhere on the East coast south of Virginia Beach and meet virtually all of your criteria.

But, there will be better/worse places based on other criteria that you have not indicated.

Several have mentioned Wilmington, NC, but to me, that has too much sprawl and traffic.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

I'm a northerner who went to college in southwest Virginia. Yes, we're in a hurry. Winter is coming and we got stuff to get done, so get on with it. We can't just ease through things and expect we can do anything in February. I do remember a couple times, approaching a 4 way intersection with 4 stop signs. Cars arrived at nearly the same time. I was behind a car. It felt like I spent 5 minutes while they all tried to "out polite" each other waving each other to go. You won't find that in Back Bay or Manhattan. I'm not loud though. I'd love to retire near the New River valley somewhere.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:09 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:18 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm
Montgomery wrote:
Bogleheads:

2) close to ocean
4) safe

Most people I know that live in the South(including me) define a northerner as a loudmouthed, obnoxious, tough guy, always in hurry, rude person that constantly complains the only good pizza is from ______ ,talks about where they are from as it's the center of the universe and thinks they know how things should be done here, does not appreciate college football and last but not least, thinks we are the ones that have an accent.

Generally from a major city/suburbs along the I-95 corridor starting about Philly and and ending in Mass. (Eastern PA, NJ, NYC, lower upstate, CT, RI, MA). Can also be from a major city along the I90/94 corridor west to Chicago.

The south is full of transplants.
+1

The Southern location also counts, as transplants are not uniformly distributed.

If you embrace the culture and the way of life, you'll be fine. One doctor I've seen has a sign "I wasn't born in the South, but I got here as soon as I could." I'm sure he fits right in.

If you only move your feet and leave your heart back in wherever, moving anywhere will be a mistake. One woman has lived here for decades still marvels that her daughter's NC birth certificate is "so different from a normal _________ birth certificate." If she wants "her normal," she should go back.

[Edited to fix botched formatting.]
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:34 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 am
palanzo wrote:
Mr. Rumples wrote:

Every coastal town faces the sea. I'll give you the the horizontal rain but again that's everywhere along the coast. I was 15 miles inland during Isabel and had rain coming in through 2 or three different windows. Believe it or not I experienced the same thing in Roanoke, VA during a high wind scenario that was blowing at 60+ mph for hours on end.

So where did he put the sandbags?
All along the bottom of the outside of sliding doors to the balconies.

riptide

Post by riptide » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:52 pm

palanzo wrote:
Mr. Rumples wrote:

All coastal cities in the southeast , including Va. beach , have the potential for severe storms (tropical storms and Hurricanes). This is part of life if you live in one of these coastal cities. It's a tradeoff, danger of storms, but beautiful coastline. Those of us that were born here and lived our lives here do not fear the storms, but are well aware of the danger. The biggest problem is flooding....
Brokerage account 70/30 | VG total Market 40% | VG total Intl 11% | VG small cap value 12% | VG Reit index 7% | VG Total Bond 30% | TSP Account 75/25 | C Fund 45%, S 15%, I 15%, G 25% | EE Bonds=Emergency Fund

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:56 pm

riptide wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:52 pm
palanzo wrote:
Mr. Rumples wrote:

All coastal cities in the southeast , including Va. beach , have the potential for severe storms (tropical storms and Hurricanes). This is part of life if you live in one of these coastal cities. It's a tradeoff, danger of storms, but beautiful coastline. Those of us that were born here and lived our lives here do not fear the storms, but are well aware of the danger. The biggest problem is flooding....
Do the floods extend to the 10th floor? Is that why sandbags have to be hauled up to the 10th floor?

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:59 pm

palanzo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:56 pm
riptide wrote:
palanzo wrote:
Mr. Rumples wrote:

Do the floods extend to the 10th floor? Is that why sandbags have to be hauled up to the 10th floor?
He explained that the older patio door on the balcony let water in.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:38 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:59 pm
palanzo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:56 pm
riptide wrote:
palanzo wrote:
Mr. Rumples wrote:

He explained that the older patio door on the balcony let water in.
Thank you. I did not get a notification for that reply.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:31 pm

setemupknockem wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 pm
Reluctant to share my retire spot.

Clearwater, FL.
Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.
There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:43 pm

We’ve lived on Hilton Head Island for the last five years. It’s hot during the summer after all we are in far southeastern SC further south than my brother in Birmingham AL. No problem with being from the North.

We’ve had to evacuate twice because of hurricanes and Matthew dumped a tree on our house. We have a good pest control company and never see any palmetto bugs. If we leave here it will be because of hurricanes and not being able to travel during parts of August, the month of September, and parts of October. The tourists don’t bother us because we live in a gated community mid Island. Most of them are on the southern part of the Island and we don’t go there during the summer. Other than not going to to the Kroger on a Saturday afternoon, the tourists really don’t create much of a problem for us although they can be a hazard on the bike paths. We live a five minute walk from the ocean and very very few tourists, almost none, are on our part of the beach. Late fall and winter are very nice here with lots of discounts at the restaurants and live theater.

We talked about moving to Asheville or Greenville if the hurricanes chase us out. My wife is somewhat reluctant because she’s very involved in a number of women’s groups and she would have to start all over in a new community. If you want a house near the ocean be prepared to pay close to a million or more. Someone mentioned Bluffton, which is the town across the bridges from HHI. It has the big box stores, a wide variety of housing, but no ocean access.

jhawktx

Post by jhawktx » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm

02nz wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:12 pm
AlohaJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm
Cape Town, South Africa
Tasmania, Australia
Bali, Indonesia

Are three places South of the Equator that are close to ocean and where someone from the Northern Hemisphere would fit in.
:happy Cape Town is indeed one of the most stunningly beautiful places on earth. It’s got its share of problems, too.
I'd say it has way more than its share of problems.

DesertGator

Post by DesertGator » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:34 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:48 pm
Asheville, NC is nice if you prefer mountains to ocean. It's over 2000 feet so summer is somewhat mild by southern standards.
Asheville just voted to pay slavery reparations (via social programs), so determine whether you'll be on paying or receiving side before moving there, and be sure you are happy with that situation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53435311

stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
I lived in CA (SoCal) for 22 years and can tell you that this isn't accurate and is a myth. A good part of SoCal has bad weather, it's only the coastal areas that have good weather and even some areas few miles from the coast are hot. Sections of the San Fernando Valley in the LA Metro area have sweltering summers reaching 110+F. It's a misconception that all of CA has good weather. In SoCal, the inland empire (Riverside, San Bernadino etc.) are equally bad during the summers. I can't believe people pay what they do in these areas to deal with it.

Yeah, if you want the typical CA experience then you have to pay through your nose to live near the beach, otherwise it is nothing like the CA that is believed in the media.

Besides the bad weather CA has huge problems with gangs, homelessness, drugs, poverty etc. - again unless you spend exorbitant sums to live in some upscale enclave. Not exactly a good choice for retirees looking for a balance of affordability and quality of life. CA fails miserably in this regard.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:26 pm

stocknoob4111 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
I lived in CA (SoCal) for 22 years and can tell you that this isn't accurate and is a myth. A good part of SoCal has bad weather, it's only the coastal areas that have good weather and even some areas few miles from the coast are hot. Sections of the San Fernando Valley in the LA Metro area have sweltering summers reaching 110+F. It's a misconception that all of CA has good weather. In SoCal, the inland empire (Riverside, San Bernadino etc.) are equally bad during the summers. I can't believe people pay what they do in these areas to deal with it.

Yeah, if you want the typical CA experience then you have to pay through your nose to live near the beach, otherwise it is nothing like the CA that is believed in the media.

Besides the bad weather CA has huge problems with gangs, homelessness, drugs, poverty etc. - again unless you spend exorbitant sums to live in some upscale enclave. Not exactly a good choice for retirees looking for a balance of affordability and quality of life. CA fails miserably in this regard.

For us it was the sea temperatures, but most folks would not care about that at all.
https://www.seatemperature.org/north-am ... alifornia/

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 pm

stocknoob4111 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:

Where would you recommend instead of coastal CA?

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:22 pm

OP, I recommend you take a look at the Delaware coast. It is south of the Mason-Dixon Line, so it is a southern locale. It has most of the advantages of coastal areas further south but fewer of the disadvantages.

westie

Post by westie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:50 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:22 pm
OP, I recommend you take a look at the Delaware coast. It is south of the Mason-Dixon Line, so it is a southern locale. It has most of the advantages of coastal areas further south but fewer of the disadvantages.
I would recommend Coastal Delaware also. It's becoming a popular place to retire, especially for those in the Northeast. It has four seasons but very little snow (none last year). Very reasonable property taxes and no sales tax on anything.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm

DesertGator wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:34 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:48 pm
Asheville, NC is nice if you prefer mountains to ocean. It's over 2000 feet so summer is somewhat mild by southern standards.
Asheville just voted to pay slavery reparations (via social programs), so determine whether you'll be on paying or receiving side before moving there, and be sure you are happy with that situation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53435311
Everyone will be paying because it comes out of tax coffers. This is a very odd thing to take into consideration.