Zoom problem or iPhone problem?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
grandmacassie

Zoom problem or iPhone problem?

Post by grandmacassie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm

I have a problem doing zoom meetings on my iPhone. I can see and hear other participants, and they can see me but they cannot hear me.

Now, I know I have to go to settings/privacy/microphone and enable the mic. The problem is that zoom is not listed as an app that has asked for permission. There are actually no apps that are listed as having asked permission to enable the mic.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far: restarting the phone. Uninstalling and reinstalling zoom. Asking my 40-something children. They couldn’t figure it out either.

I wonder if there is some other setting that I have done that’s interfering.

And btw, I have successfully installed and used zoom on my pc and DH’s iPad.

Must I make a trip to the dreaded Apple store?

RudyS

Re: Zoom problem or iPhone problem?

Post by RudyS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Is there any chance that you are muted in the Zoom call? Grabbing at straws! Sounds like you have used Zoom from other devices so this is really unlikely.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 pm

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Try downloading the "ZOOM Cloud Meetings" from the iPhone App Store. The app is more proactive and helpful for setting up a Zoom session than the browser site.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:02 pm

grandmacassie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm
Now, I know I have to go to settings/privacy/microphone and enable the mic. The problem is that zoom is not listed as an app that has asked for permission. There are actually no apps that are listed as having asked permission to enable the mic.
As Arte Johnson used to say, "veeeeeery interesting". I have Zoom on my iPhone 11 (running IOS 13), and when I go to Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone, I do see a setting for Zoom.

I assume you've tried to use the Zoom client to connect to a meeting in the past, since you said that others could not hear you. Were you the host of the meeting? The Zoom documentation seems to indicate that the host has the power to individually mute participants' mics, so I am wondering if it's possible that the host just for some reason had your mic muted unintentionally.

One other thing to check: in the Zoom app settings, under "Meetings", there are a couple of settings you should verify: "Auto-Connect to Audio" (which you probably want switched "on") and "Always Mute My Microphone" (which should be off).
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Topic Author
grandmacassie

Post by grandmacassie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, all. I did download from App Store. I’ve done everything you’ve suggested. When signing in to meeting, I cannot unmute mic, when I try it just tells me to go to privacy, etc which never works.
Really, if I have no trouble on pc Or iPad, I must conclude it is my phone. I use zoom frequently on the other devices.