QuickSilver 1.5% back from CapOne - Anyone Using This?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
phxjcc

QuickSilver 1.5% back from CapOne - Anyone Using This?

Post by phxjcc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Anyone here using the 1.5% back Capone card?

Have Citi/Costco 2% CARD ALREADY.

Pay balance every month, so I don't care about 99999% interest.

Don't want/care about travel miles.

Thanks

tashnewbie

Re: QuickSilver 1.5% back from CapOne - Anyone Using This?

Post by tashnewbie » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:44 pm

I've used it in the past when I traveled internationally (not doing that now), because it doesn't have foreign transaction fees. I have a relatively small monthly automated bill that gets charged on it, just to ensure it stays active and open.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:48 pm

I use the Quicksilver 1.5% cash back along with my Discover Card as my two primary credit cards.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:16 pm

Yes, good card. Best cash back I know that has no foreign transaction fee. It is no longer our go-to card but I still keep it in case travel.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm

I use the Quicksilver quite a bit, along with the Wells Fargo Cash Wise card. Both are 1.5% back on everything. I also have a Chase Amazon Prime Rewards card that I use at certain types of establishments and websites (5% back at Amazon and Whole Foods; 2% back at gas station, restaurant, and drugstores).

I find that I'm using the travel-related cards, like airline cards and Chase Sapphire Preferred, a lot less since COVID-19. The rewards seem a lot less attractive now. :|

As others have noted, the lack of foreign transaction fees for the Quicksilver is a nice benefit, at least in normal times.

rjmack

Post by rjmack » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:16 am

We use the Quicksilver card as well. At the time I signed up it was one of the best cash-rewards cards I could find with no annual fee. We auto-pay it in full from our Capital One checking account. I was happy it was a good card with our existing primary online bank, just in terms of keep everything organized in as few different institutions as possible.

GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 am

We use the Cap One SavorOne no annual fee, Savor has annual fee.
Earn unlimited 3% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores (excluding superstores like Walmart® and Target®) and 1% on all other purchases
Once we reach $25 in rewards it credits to our account, or it also linked with our Amazon account. At check out on Amazon we have the option to apply any Cap One rewards available to the purchase.
John

TheBiz1

Post by TheBiz1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:25 am

Although CapOne was hacked, in my opinion, they still operate the slickest technology among the cards. Sure, you might get 2% with the Citi
1% and 1% (when you buy and when you pay), but the ease of use of the CapOne site is worth it. We put EVERYTHING on that CapOne QuickSilver card and take 1.5% cash back every couple of months when we get around $300. Great card and their tech watches transactions so carefully they actually prevented THREE phony charges attempted on my card from Europe.

DesertMan

Post by DesertMan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:43 am

I used the Quicksilver as my main card until I got the Fidelity 2% back card. I used the QS for recurring bills until I got the Chartway 3% debit card (there's a cap so not as good as it sounds.) Now I use the QS as a backup card and for the balance transfer promos that Capital One offers from time to time.

Other cards have more cash back but Capital One has good tech (notwithstanding the hack, which was an inside job IIRC), good customer service and it looks like there are no foreign fees too.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:14 am

I have had my QuickSilver card since like 2006. One of my first cards. Happy with it. Never any major issues.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

MrJedi

Post by MrJedi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 am

I use Fidelity for 2%, but the Quicksilver was my primary card for years before that.

The best part compared to other cards is that there is no minimum cashback redemption (you can easily redeem 0.01 if you really want), and they also offer auto redemption as well starting at $25 cashback. This is more flexible and efficient than the guys that make you manually redeem or have a minimum redemption threshold.

tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am

MrJedi wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 am
I use Fidelity for 2%, but the Quicksilver was my primary card for years before that.

The best part compared to other cards is that there is no minimum cashback redemption (you can easily redeem 0.01 if you really want), and they also offer auto redemption as well starting at $25 cashback. This is more flexible and efficient than the guys that make you manually redeem or have a minimum redemption threshold.
YMMV, but I noticed recently that I can't redeem my QS rewards for true cash back any longer. I can redeem in any increment for statement credit, but can't get any cash sent to me directly.

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:00 pm

I've had one for a few years now, they offered and I converted my normal, no benefits card into Quicksilver one day.

Don't use it anymore as the PenFed 2% cash back card has all the same features (no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, usual Visa Signature benefits), but I keep the QS as a backup. CapOne's website, app, and IT infrastructure are all light years ahead of PenFed but that's kind of expected because they're so much bigger :wink:

Blake7

Post by Blake7 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:05 pm

It’s our international travel card, and backup to Citi’s Double Cash, which is our primary. However, since Citi dropped most of the card benefits, I use the QuickSilver when I need an extended warranty (i.e., a new fridge we purchased recently). It’s worth the small loss in rebate for doubling the warranty coverage, especially on larger ticket items.

Beach

Post by Beach » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm

Why only get 1.5% when you can get 2% with the Citi Double Cash?

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm

Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm
+1

1.5% < 2%
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm

I use the QuickSilver 1.5% card. It is the only card that we use.

Could probably do better with another card or shuffling cards, but I'm not interested in any additional accounts or work to save another $100 a year.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm

I keep this card because of no foreign transaction fees. Though I don't currently expect any international travel for the foreseeable future, it still comes in handy for the occasional online purchase at a non-US website.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:03 pm

Capital One Spark offers 2% back if you can / want to apply for a business card. Current offers seems to be $500 sign-up bonus for $4500 spend. Annual fee of $95 after year 1.

https://www.capitalone.com/small-busine ... park-cash/

Personally, I try to avoid fee cards and was able to get the Spark card with no annual fee by applying at a bank. But, this was a number of years ago; no idea whether this is still an option (plus, with Covid it's a different proposition).

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 pm

It’s my second favorite card.
If I can pay with my phone, I use my Apple Card (2%). If I have to use a physical card, I use quicksilver (1.5%).
I used to have the Fidelity card, but moved my investments to Vanguard.

MrJedi

Post by MrJedi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:58 pm

tashnewbie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am
MrJedi wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 am

YMMV, but I noticed recently that I can't redeem my QS rewards for true cash back any longer. I can redeem in any increment for statement credit, but can't get any cash sent to me directly.
You can have a physical check mailed to you. Agreed there doesn't seem to be a way to do an electronic transfer into a bank account if that is your preference. I just take the statement credit for this card.

martyboyle

Post by martyboyle » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am

PayPal has a 2% cashback mastercard. No annual fee, no foreign transaction fee. Closely tied to your paypal account.

Dont have it since I already had the citi Double cashback when I found out about it.

matthewbarnhart

Post by matthewbarnhart » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:41 am

My partner got this card at my recommendation -- she hates thinking at all about money, and wanted a single cash-back card 1) with a decent signup bonus, 2) no foreign transaction fees (as we were previously out of the country at least 2-3 months/year), and 3) no bonus categories to keep track of. She's also very frugal and would have trouble meeting higher spending requirements for other cards.

Now that foreign travel is out of the question for the foreseeable future, I'll see if I can't move her to something that earns a little more. But I do think it's a great card for someone with those particular factors to consider.

I, however, am the total opposite and have over 20+ cards, though I've recently narrowed it down to Frugal Professor's Bank of America system. https://frugalprofessor.com/best-credit ... 9-edition/
Last edited by matthewbarnhart on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:47 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm
Beach wrote:
+1
1.5% < 2%
And 2%<2.625%, which is why QuickSilver was once our main card, then Citi Double Cash, but now it's BOA Preferred Rewards (you have to park $100k in assets at Merrill to get that rate, but there are no fees on the investment account and you'll even get an account opening bonus). PR does have a nominal $95 annual fee, but up to $100 credit for airline incidentals and a recent one time $50 credit for supermarket/restaurant: our net fee will be negative for this year. Also paying estimated tax alone at 2.625% cash back is >> $95, net of convenience fees, for us. QuickSilver and Citi Double are both in a drawer now, kept alive with small purchases now and then.

Exception: end of last year Cap1 offered $300 bonus to existing QS holders for $10k in new spending. I used QS on est tax to get that bonus, 4.5% overall rate. BOA PR also has no foreign trans fee (Citi Double does) and I have a PenFed 2% card (opened just to get a bonus) with also no FTF to carry as back up to PR when on overseas trips. So main reason I don't let QS just go permanently dormant is in case they offer another existing customer bonus.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:56 am

Beach wrote:
Inertia

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:56 am
Beach wrote:
Inertia
Because the Citi card has a Forex fee when using internationally, the CapOne card does not, so it's great for international purchases (including things like AliExpress, that are outside the US, and incur a Forex fee from Citicards)