Does a couple really "need" an SUV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Artful Dodger

Re: Does a couple really "need" an SUV?

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:04 pm

I'll answer though I don't know the difference between "need" and ""need"".

We have one. A new Subaru Forrester. Reasonably priced with lots of safety features.

Getting older, I like the higher seating for getting in and out. My other car is a Genesis sedan, and it sits pretty low. DW likes sitting up high, as she is shorter.

We do very little heavy hauling, but what we do is yard and garden oriented. Having the back end open is great for bags of soil, sand, bricks, plants, etc. Very convenient for groceries. Back seats fold down if needed for hauling bikes, furniture, or any other larger items.

100% DW's choice of vehicle; and she only looked at SUVs. If your spouse really wants one (or more accurately in my case, tells me that's what she's getting), then yes, you do "need" a SUV.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:12 pm

We are an early retired couple, not much to carry or needs of space. But DW wants to sit higher in a car.
So we spend extra and got a Tesla Y instead of a 3. :oops:

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:15 pm

smitcat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:42 am
lazydavid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 am
In a world where truck rentals are $19 at every big box store, the need to carry big stuff would have to be weekly in order to by itself justify the need for an SUV.
With a few caveats:
- many truck rentals come with 'limiting' factors
- many truck rentals are more expensive than $19
- owning certain vehicles in a business offer potential benifits

I won't disagree with your third one, but that falls outside of the "by itself" that I purposefully bolded. There can be other reasons to buy a vehicle, for sure, but this discussion was solely about how frequently one carries big stuff home, and when that specifically justifies a much larger vehicle than one otherwise needs.

The first two I'll disagree wholeheartedly with. Every Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards I've ever been to rents their trucks for $19 (or therabouts), with no additional mileage fees or fuel costs. You don't even have to buy anything there. I've rented a truck from Menards to pick up furniture from Costco.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:18 pm

btenny wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:48 am
...For non boat people. In the early 1970s I owned a modest 20 foot boat that we used for skiing and day boat rides. It was light but had a big engine and jet drive. So it was fast and fun for a young stupid guy. All in boat weight was 3500 pounds with trailer and stuff. We towed it with a Pontiac GTO (my first purchased car) and later with a Olds 442. We used a anti sway load equalizing hitch to make the hitch weight work well for towing...
My '89 Pontiac wagon had the optional trailing package, inflatable shocks and pre-wired for trailers. It didn't include a hitch, but I had a frame hitch installed.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:15 pm
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
In a world where truck rentals are $19 at every big box store, the need to carry big stuff would have to be weekly in order to by itself justify the need for an SUV.
With a few caveats:

I won't disagree with your third one, but that falls outside of the "by itself" that I purposefully bolded. There can be other reasons to buy a vehicle, for sure, but this discussion was solely about how frequently one carries big stuff home, and when that specifically justifies a much larger vehicle than one otherwise needs.

The first two I'll disagree wholeheartedly with. Every Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards I've ever been to rents their trucks for $19 (or therabouts), with no additional mileage fees or fuel costs. You don't even have to buy anything there. I've rented a truck from Menards to pick up furniture from Costco.
When I visit the Lowes website, it tells me to call my location to find out if it even offers trucks. Home Depot's site says it has one truck at a location near me. So moving on to the critical question: how do you insure it? Rental car coverage on your credit card doesn't apply as far as I know. If you don't have coverage, you know in the short distance you're going to drive it - very, very fast to beat your 75 minute limit - you're going to have an accident. Do the stores sell CDW? How much does it cost?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 pm

smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:48 pm
Do you make do without an SUV? If so, how? At what point for you would the scales be tipped with regard to "needing" an SUV: hauling larger items 3 times a year? Four times? Twice a year?
With a few caveats:
-your time is worthless. Having to drive 20 mins to pick up, get back to where you want to be and repeat adds up in a hurry.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:24 pm

smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
Do you make do without an SUV? If so, how? At what point for you would the scales be tipped with regard to "needing" an SUV: hauling larger items 3 times a year? Four times? Twice a year?
With a few caveats:
Many cars are more expensive than $30k, but that doesn’t mean you can’t easily find a perfectly good one for less.

Big box stores and UHaul all rent trucks (and UHaul rents cargo vans) for $19. I could rent a truck a bunch of times before it became cost effective to buy one.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Over our 50+ years of marriage w/2 kids, 4 dogs, 2 kayaks and lots of travel/moving/moving our kids we've been very happy with station wagons: a Chevy, a Pontiac and 3 Volvos. Getting harder to find them.
Friar1610

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:30 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 pm
lazydavid wrote:
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
With a few caveats:

When I visit the Lowes website, it tells me to call my location to find out if it even offers trucks. Home Depot's site says it has one truck at a location near me. So moving on to the critical question: how do you insure it? Rental car coverage on your credit card doesn't apply as far as I know. If you don't have coverage, you know in the short distance you're going to drive it - very, very fast to beat your 75 minute limit - you're going to have an accident. Do the stores sell CDW? How much does it cost?
I've wondered this myself. I recently called my auto insurance company prior to renting a UHaul van. The agent said my insurance extends liability for damage caused by me to another car if I'm driving a UHaul 9 foot cargo van, but it only provides coverage for some ridiculously small number (maybe $500?) for damage to the UHaul itself. I ended up buying insurance from UHaul to insure the van.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm

wallygator wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:26 am
bluelight wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:58 am
I like having an SUV and can't imagine not owning one. I like the visibility and I like having a hauler. When it's time for my current SUV to be replaced, it will be replaced with another SUV.
Bingo! Have and RX330 and a Highlander, We take four 800 mile trips a year. I have avoided several highway accidents because I could see ahead. If I was in a car I would have at least two 75 MPH collisions. No doubt in my mind. Wife hated the lexus at first. Now won't even drive a car!

Love em,

Wally
Issue is that it's an arms race.... In the end you have a higher center of gravity and most people cannot manage that - even the ones that are adamant they can.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

RocketShipTech

Post by RocketShipTech » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 pm

wallygator wrote:
bluelight wrote:
I like having an SUV and can't imagine not owning one. I like the visibility and I like having a hauler. When it's time for my current SUV to be replaced, it will be replaced with another SUV.
Bingo! Have and RX330 and a Highlander, We take four 800 mile trips a year. I have avoided several highway accidents because I could see ahead. If I was in a car I would have at least two 75 MPH collisions. No doubt in my mind. Wife hated the lexus at first. Now won't even drive a car!

Love em,

Wally
The solution for this is not an SUV, it’s a car with automatic collision braking

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm

tibbitts wrote:
So moving on to the critical question: how do you insure it? Rental car coverage on your credit card doesn't apply as far as I know. If you don't have coverage, you know in the short distance you're going to drive it - very, very fast to beat your 75 minute limit - you're going to have an accident. Do the stores sell CDW? How much does it cost?
For the pickups/vans rented from home stores, your regular car insurance covers it, with the same terms and deductible as usual. So unless you don't currently have a car, or do not insure it, you're fine. Aside from that, I pay an extra $30/6 months for a rider on my policy that covers any vehicle I don't own (unless driven on behalf of my employer) with no deductible, and also covers any administrative or loss of use fees that traditional rental agencies like to charge in the event of damage. Not for this purpose, but for car rentals on vacation, but it's a nice side benefit.

And you and I are clearly very different. I don't value five dollars enough to drive "very, very fast" in a rental truck to avoid paying for an extra 15 minutes. I've never once come even remotely close to a traffic incident with a rental truck, and actually have never paid the time surcharge either. Win win :)

More generally, even as a CUV owner myself, I do find it amazing how many Bogleheads advocate for dumping a perfectly serviceable vehicle and spending tens of thousands of dollars on a larger one that gets poorer fuel economy, for the sole reason of avoiding a little inconvenience and a small fee a couple of times per year. Seems completely antithetical to everything a BH should stand for.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Need is a relative term. While some couples are fine with a 1000 sq-ft condo, others live in 10,000 sq-ft houses. About SUVs, many people like SUVs because they prefer the convenience getting in and out of an SUV. Many people have problem with geting out from a sedan. Besides that, SUVs, especially large SUVs, relatively consume more fuel than sedans so when gas price is going up, people are likely to get rid of big SUVs for better gpm vehicles. Remember a few years ago, there was a program to get rid of the clunkers, people loved that when gasoline was at $4 a gallon. A friend of mine actually traded in her clunker for a prius during that time. Now, she is driving an SUV (gasoline is cheaper now). I think affordability rules everything and defines the "needs".
Last edited by wander on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$=WxTxI

Maybe not, but don't buy a VW GTI

Post by $=WxTxI » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm

This is bogleheads so there is actually only one correct answer.

1. Buy used Corrola with more than 100k miles (they run forever)
2. Put a lift on it that you got from a junk yard
3. ???
4. Go anywhere you want now. :D

Whatever you do, do not get a VW GTI because of the message that they send. :mrgreen:

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:19 pm

lazydavid wrote:
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
With a few caveats:

I have had a hard time renting trucks to tow trailers - specifically heavy trailers. And never a boat or one way trailer truck rental without much larger payments and that was even hard to find. Additionally ,the $19 here only covers less than a 90 minute useage - for an 8 hour day its over $90.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:21 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:24 pm
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
With a few caveats:
Many cars are more expensive than $30k, but that doesn’t mean you can’t easily find a perfectly good one for less.

Big box stores and UHaul all rent trucks (and UHaul rents cargo vans) for $19. I could rent a truck a bunch of times before it became cost effective to buy one.
I have had a hard time renting trucks to tow trailers - specifically heavy trailers. And never a boat or one way trailer truck rental without much larger payments and that was even hard to find. Additionally ,the $19 here only covers less than a 90 minute useage - for an 8 hour day its over $90.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm
tibbitts wrote:
So moving on to the critical question: how do you insure it? Rental car coverage on your credit card doesn't apply as far as I know. If you don't have coverage, you know in the short distance you're going to drive it - very, very fast to beat your 75 minute limit - you're going to have an accident. Do the stores sell CDW? How much does it cost?
For the pickups/vans rented from home stores, your regular car insurance covers it, with the same terms and deductible as usual. So unless you don't currently have a car, or do not insure it, you're fine. Aside from that, I pay an extra $30/6 months for a rider on my policy that covers any vehicle I don't own (unless driven on behalf of my employer) with no deductible, and also covers any administrative or loss of use fees that traditional rental agencies like to charge in the event of damage. Not for this purpose, but for car rentals on vacation, but it's a nice side benefit.

And you and I are clearly very different. I don't value five dollars enough to drive "very, very fast" in a rental truck to avoid paying for an extra 15 minutes. I've never once come even remotely close to a traffic incident with a rental truck, and actually have never paid the time surcharge either. Win win :)

More generally, even as a CUV owner myself, I do find it amazing how many Bogleheads advocate for dumping a perfectly serviceable vehicle and spending tens of thousands of dollars on a larger one that gets poorer fuel economy, for the sole reason of avoiding a little inconvenience and a small fee a couple of times per year. Seems completely antithetical to everything a BH should stand for.
Chase credit card rental vehicle coverage excludes:

Expensive, exotic, and antique automobiles; vans designed to carry more than 8 people; vehicles that have an open cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds, and motorbikes; limousines; and recreational vehicles.

I've never rented a vehicle for less than 24 hours, but with regards to hustling to get the vehicle back: as you point out, this is Bogleheads. All the vehicle rentals I've done added time in hour increments, but maybe these vehicles allow 15-minute intervals, I don't know. I've had an accident in a rental vehicle, and it was within a half-mile of the rental facility. No speed was involved - the vehicle wasn't moving.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm

smitcat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:19 pm
Agreed. But I don't think towing a boat was what the OP had in mind when (s)he was talking about transporting large items a few times a year. I got the impression (s)he was talking about lumber, appliances, furniture, etc.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:25 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Expensive, exotic, and antique automobiles; vans designed to carry more than 8 people; vehicles that have an open cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds, and motorbikes; limousines; and recreational vehicles.
Please point out where I was talking about credit card insurance. My exact words, which you quoted, were:
For the pickups/vans rented from home stores, your regular car insurance covers it, with the same terms and deductible as usual. So unless you don't currently have a car, or do not insure it, you're fine.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:27 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm
smitcat wrote:
Agreed. But I don't think towing a boat was what the OP had in mind when (s)he was talking about transporting large items a few times a year. I got the impression (s)he was talking about lumber, appliances, furniture, etc.
Over $90 for a full 8 hour day and I also tow a car trailer - like one you would need to tow that new corvette when you get it.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm

smitcat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:27 pm
lazydavid wrote:
smitcat wrote:
Over $90 for a full 8 hour day and I also tow a car trailer - like one you would need to tow that new corvette when you get it.
But does he ""Need"" a new Corvette? :D :D :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:32 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
smitcat wrote:
But does he ""Need"" a new Corvette? :D :D :D
Actually I think he does and he deserves it.
I find all of these threads really funny - no one really needs much of anything but that is certainly not a reason to not get what you want.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:25 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Please point out where I was talking about credit card insurance. My exact words, which you quoted, were:
For the pickups/vans rented from home stores, your regular car insurance covers it, with the same terms and deductible as usual. So unless you don't currently have a car, or do not insure it, you're fine.
Valid point. I incorrectly read "regular rental car insurance", which - again, this being Bogleheads - means only credit card coverage for many of us. That still leaves me wondering if the stores offer CDW and how much it costs. Do you have to refill it upon return? I might be interested in renting one vs. the usual $79 delivery charge.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matigas

Post by Matigas » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:45 pm

A big, heavy, SUV comes in quite handily when involved in a collision with another vehicle.
You don’t “need” an SUV to survive in this instance, but it helps.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:52 pm

RocketShipTech wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 pm
wallygator wrote:
bluelight wrote:

Love em,

Wally
The solution for this is not an SUV, it’s a car with automatic collision braking
That's another reason I like my Subaru Outback!

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:45 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 pm
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
With a few caveats:
-your time is worthless. Having to drive 20 mins to pick up, get back to where you want to be and repeat adds up in a hurry.
I owned a house for 7 years. Never felt the need for a truck. Maybe I am weird but who needs a truck more than once a year unless is very heavy into gardening and construction work?

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:48 pm

Kennedy wrote:
I understand all situations are different. However, I'm wondering how often the average suburban couple (no kids at home) actually "needs" an SUV. I am looking for personal experiences from similarly situated people and how inconvenient not having one would be.

I'm imagining the SUV would be used rarely for hauling bags of yard mulch, taking large suitcases/family to the airport and the like. In this scenario, there is no reason to replace (upgrade, actually) an existing car with an SUV but for the rare case when the SUV would be more convenient, and the couple doesn't feel comfortable borrowing one from a neighbor. I'm hesitant to add this information since I don't want to derail the responses, but I'm sure the question will be raised: In this scenario there is disagreement between the spouses as to if the money for the purchase of a newer model SUV would be better used for other purposes. There has been a family SUV up to now, but it will be going off to college with a child and the parents will not be swapping cars with this child.

I routinely do the following with my SUV:

Haul up to 7 kids at a time (my own plus others)
Sleep in it at a trailhead
Drive offroad over rough terrain
Pull a trailer
Load a raft into it and a raft frame on top of it
Haul up to 6 bicycles at a time

In fact, we used our Sequoia so much that we got sick of fighting over it and bought another one.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Starfish wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:45 pm
Maybe I am weird but who needs a truck more than once a year unless is very heavy into gardening and construction work?
People who do fun stuff instead of just sitting around watching TV and drinking beer?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:53 pm

wallygator wrote:
bluelight wrote:

Love em,

Wally
I have drove about half a million miles but I don't think I avoided more than "several highway accidents" in my entire life. Are you sure the problem is the car?

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 pm
Starfish wrote:
Maybe I am weird but who needs a truck more than once a year unless is very heavy into gardening and construction work?
People who do fun stuff instead of just sitting around watching TV and drinking beer?

Drinking beer is the opposite of fun? :mrgreen:

There are plenty of fun stuff to do without trucks. I would say 99% of them.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:10 am

Starfish wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 pm
Starfish wrote:

Drinking beer is the opposite of fun? :mrgreen:

There are plenty of fun stuff to do without trucks. I would say 99% of them.
Nobody ever said "Hold my beer and watch this!" while sitting on the tailgate of a Prius.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm

rob wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm
wallygator wrote:
bluelight wrote:

Love em,

Wally
Issue is that it's an arms race.... In the end you have a higher center of gravity and most people cannot manage that - even the ones that are adamant they can.
Slightly a tangent from this thread but what really annoys me to the extreme is an article I just saw last week - this "safety expert" who's an auto engineer or maybe a federal highway safety agency executive (can't remember) recommended choosing SUVs over a smaller, lighterweight car to parents as the recommended first car purchase for teenagers. :shock:

Her rationale? Teens are much more likely to cause crashes because of inexperience, faster speeds, stupid habits like texting, etc....and this will keep them safer in an accident. That's lovely for the children. But she clearly had zero concern or regard for the sharp increase in danger caused to everyone else - an SUV with an immature driver also vastly increases the chances that the teen will kill or permanently maim other innocent drivers and bystanders in an accident vs the damages or repercussions from driving a smaller or lighter weight model.

I don't want to buy or drive an SUV and as a sedan driver, it concerns me when I see all these teens driving huge pickups and SUVS - txting, aggressively tailgating, speeding, etc. They don't have the experience to understand what their vehicle can and cannot do.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm
rob wrote:
wallygator wrote:
bluelight wrote:

Love em,

Wally
Slightly a tangent from this thread but what really annoys me to the extreme is an article I just saw last week - this "safety expert" who's an auto engineer or maybe a federal highway safety agency executive (can't remember) recommended choosing SUVs over a smaller, lighterweight car to parents as the recommended first car purchase for teenagers. :shock:

Her rationale? Teens are much more likely to cause crashes because of inexperience, faster speeds, stupid habits like texting, etc....and this will keep them safer in an accident. That's lovely for the children. But she clearly had zero concern or regard for the sharp increase in danger caused to everyone else - an SUV with an immature driver also vastly increases the chances that the teen will kill or permanently maim other innocent drivers and bystanders in an accident vs the damages or repercussions from driving a smaller or lighter weight model.

I don't want to buy or drive an SUV and as a sedan driver, it concerns me when I see all these teens driving huge pickups and SUVS - txting, aggressively tailgating, speeding, etc. They don't have the experience to understand what their vehicle can and cannot do.
It is an arms race! Arm up! It would concern me as a parent to send them out in a toaster with wheels.

DW absolutely refuses to drive a sedan, as she has spent 20+ years driving full-size vans. She likes being up higher. She likes a DD's Acura SUV.

We never owned a station wagon, but we did have a Chevy conversion van when the DDs were littles. They would fight to sit in the captain's chairs in the second row, or the bench seat that made into a bed in the third row of seating. DW and I liked the fact that the DDs were not touching each other, everyone had plenty of room, kept the bickering down.

So far as the question, let me answer it this way: I have a lot of things I don't necessarily need. If I could drive I expect I would be driving an SUV today, because I wanted to do so.

Once my needs are satisfied, I indulge myself in my wants, which are varied.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:43 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:30 pm
I've wondered this myself. I recently called my auto insurance company prior to renting a UHaul van. The agent said my insurance extends liability for damage caused by me to another car if I'm driving a UHaul 9 foot cargo van, but it only provides coverage for some ridiculously small number (maybe $500?) for damage to the UHaul itself. I ended up buying insurance from UHaul to insure the van.
I’ve wondered this too, but I’ve been too lazy to call and ask my insurance about it. I always end up buying the insurance whenever I rent Uhaul-type vans - it seems like I’m always scraping them against trees while driving down the road since I’m not used to the size. :oops:

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 pm

I am 80, wife is a few years younger, we have a 17 year old grandson, never needed an SUV. When our son was a scout we never needed a SUV. One April we had an ice storm, and we wanted quickly to cart away all those bundles of broken tree branches, so we rented a U-haul truck. I can put 8 bags of mulch either into our Toyota Camry or Chevy Malibu. Once a year we might have to drive twice, but so what. I also like the smaller look of sedans in our garage.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Boglegirl81 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:43 pm
Kennedy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:30 pm
I’ve wondered this too, but I’ve been too lazy to call and ask my insurance about it. I always end up buying the insurance whenever I rent Uhaul-type vans - it seems like I’m always scraping them against trees while driving down the road since I’m not used to the size. :oops:
I don't think you would have even $500 in coverage without any collision or comprehensive insurance on your own car. That's why I asked about insurance for the hourly Lowes or HD rentals. I can easily see CDW costing more than the rental itself. I'm also wondering about refilling upon return if that's necessary - the time would eat into your roughly-hourly rental.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:50 pm

"Need" is a tricky word. Do you really need an SUV? An Accord would probably work fine. Well, do you really need an Accord? I bet you could get by with a Civic. Do you really need a new Civic though? A 10 year old Civic would be cheaper. Do you really need a car at all? Couldn't you just Uber everywhere? Hmm, Uber can get expensive, wouldn't a bike meet all your needs?

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Thank goodness I have a boat and a 5' x 8' utility trailer and we like to drive on the Outer Banks' beaches regularly. I need a real SUV. :)

I had a Forrester 20 years ago and a Highlander in 2010 and they were nice cars, but what I really needed was a true body on frame part-time 4wd 4Runner. I got the one with KDSS for improved handling. A CUV just wouldn't do... Cute Utility Vehicle.

Otoh, my '86 Subaru GL wagon was fine in the deep sand at Cape Hatteras for 14 years. It came standard with dual-range part-time 4wd, a steel skid plate under the engine/trans, an armored exhaust system, 3-position rear shocks, and 185/70-13 radials that would tolerate 10 psi on the beach. And it had independent suspension all the way around for a smooth ride. What was it, 85 hp?

Seriously, do people really care what someone else drives? I don't get it.

I had a couple of big '60s Chevys back in the day and they would hold as much or more than almost all the current SUVs. My father's '59 Chevy would probably have housed a family of three or four in the trunk. :mrgreen:

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:49 pm

rob wrote:
wallygator wrote:
bluelight wrote:
Love em,
Wally
Death rate by model per IIHS doesn't tell an absolutely consistent story by vehicle type. Luxury SUV's and fairly big sedans tend to have among the lowest overall death rates, in a number of case zero fatalities in the US in the subject period (but the statistical range is obviously wider for smaller samples of lower volume models). But it doesn't correct for what kind of drivers drive what kind of car. It's pretty clear when you get to quite light cars than the death rate goes up significantly. Other than that, assuming a say mid 3000's# vehicle, it doesn't seem to really be an 'arms race', in terms of very big SUV/pickups affecting the death rate of non-small cars by much. After all single car accidents and accidents with large commercial vehicles are significant risks unaffected by the type of personal vehicle other people drive. So small cars elevate risk, possibly in part in the US because personal vehicles tend to be large by world standards. But whatever the reason I think one just has to accept that small cars are a risk. I never get small* cars for self or loved ones. If the car is not very small, it doesn't seem it actually has to be very large as part of any safety 'arms race'.

Electronic Stability Control has also changed the equation considerably wrt inherent safety of higher ground clearance vehicles. Which tends to imply also single car rollover accidents anyway, not running into somebody else as much. And again if you look at the IIHS stats some SUV models have higher than average rollover death rates, some models posted zero such accidents in the period.

*subject to definition. Our BMW M2 is pretty small dimension-wise but heavy for its size at around 3400#. The Honda CR-V I got my daughter weighs around the same but is considerably bulkier. But something in that range is where I feel comfortable vehicle size is not too light. The M2 is hard to beat on emergency avoidance maneuvering or stopping distance but the CR-V's handling seems quite adequate.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-dea ... -and-model
Last edited by JackoC on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VGisforme

Post by VGisforme » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm

If your spouse wants an SUV get the SUV...

People get used to the higher seating position and most won't go back to a car. Most people that "need" an SUV would be much better served by a minivan which would be cheaper and better at most things but they don't think it is "cool" enough.

You could argue you don't need any SUV or car or we should all drive 4 cylinder Camrys but that's not the reality and for many folks a car isn't just a generic appliance purchase. Some folks wouldn't be caught dead with a Kitchen Aid appliance in their kitchen and would only want the top of the line even if they never cook. At least a car/SUV you do generally use to some degree.

I'm assuming your question is about the money not the form factor of the vehicle. You'd be happier with a Honda CRV over a loaded E Class Mercedes for example.

We have young kids and my wife drives a Honda PIlot, an Odyssey or a Pacifica would have been cheaper and performed the basic functions much better but she preferred the style of the Pilot. I drive a sedan because I don't like big tippy wagons and trucks. I like taking her Pilot to Costco or to pick up building materials etc. or on family trips but the minivan would have done all of those things better too!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:12 pm

smitcat wrote:
Why would I want to do that? It will be neither a garage queen, nor a trailer queen. I intend to DRIVE it, not tow it around. :)

GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Used to own an Accord sedan and a Ford Escape concurrently. Always was a sedan man until the Escape appeared.

SUV:
Taller driving position provides a better view of the road.
Raised deck is easier on the back than a lower trunk.
Much easier to load SUV bay than trying to figure out the loading angles for the back seat (stackable patio chairs in my case). Legs getting wedged into front seat backs and back seat cushion, etc. Didn't do my back any favors either wrestling with the chairs:)
Able to fit a small recliner.
All wheel drive SUV made the snow disappear in my driveway, sedan spun the tires helplessly. Both vehicles had same make and model of tire so no snow vs. all-weather bias.
SUV was sportier and more fun to drive (entirely subjective).
Better ground clearance for potholed dirt roads.

Sedan:
Cheaper to buy and drive.

Hatchback:
Haven't owned one, but presumably would help the sedan's case.

Minivan:
Haven't owned one, plus there is just two of us.

I'm not interested in an SUV for the cool factor, I owned a Camry prior to the Accord (and drive another Camry now). There are workarounds as others have mentioned to make driving a sedan practical. But the price difference between a CUV and sedan isn't enough to sway me, and I much prefer driving the CUV anyway so easy decision between trunk sedan and CUV.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:54 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm
rob wrote:
wallygator wrote:
bluelight wrote:

Love em,

Wally

Isn't that the entire idea behind SUVs being "safer"? They are "safer" means they will protect ME, screw everybody else, regardless who is at fault for the accident. Give that the probability to be at fault in an accident is 50% overall, it is very strange to me that people talk about something not very far from murder without batting an eye. Oh, yeah, I know I could kill somebody in civic or camry who is not at fault but it's safer for me...
I know old people who bought an SUV because is safer and they could not handle a car as well anymore.
Obvious the safety part is also wrong, a heavier, harder to handle car with a higher center of gravity is a lot less safe in many scenarios.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:03 pm

andypanda wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 pm
Seriously, do people really care what someone else drives? I don't get it.
1. You breath what they exhaust.
2. You cannot park because they take 2 spots.
3. You see a teenager behind you texting while closing in at 70mph in the family Suburban while the traffic is stopped in front of you.

I see all 3 pretty frequently.

ballons

Post by ballons » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Americans are physically getting larger + those with disposable cash that can afford cars, are getting older = everything is an SUV.

My benchmark for an SUV (and trucks) is hauling a 4x8 piece of plywood. Vast majority fail this simple test. The "utility" in SUV is gone. Minivans have more utility today. IMHO, SUV's have taken the soccer-mom stigma from minivans.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:32 pm

"1. You breath what they exhaust.
2. You cannot park because they take 2 spots.
3. You see a teenager behind you texting while closing in at 70mph in the family Suburban while the traffic is stopped in front of you.

I see all 3 pretty frequently."

You see me breathing what they exhaust? Are you following me around? :)

I'm more concerned about all the people having children who grow up and buy cars. Too many people, too many cars.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:01 pm

Kennedy wrote:
To state the obvious, if the only reason you're buying a SUV is to haul stuff 2-4 days a year, you would be better off financially buying a cheaper vehicle for transportation and then renting a truck for your twice a year trips to get mulch. Of course, the primary reason most people choose a SUV isn't for their biannual trips to the garden section of Home Depot. For the airport, it's usually cheaper to get a taxi/Uber than pay for airport parking for a week.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm

tibbitts wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
With a few caveats:

At least the liability part of your auto/umbrella insurance follows the driver.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:54 pm

oldfort wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm
tibbitts wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
With a few caveats:

At least the liability part of your auto/umbrella insurance follows the driver.
The issue is CDW: damage to the truck. Many of us don't have collision or comprehensive, and if I did I'm not sure it would cover a commercial vehicle. But mainly to me is the issue is my credit cards won't cover it. So between that and the gas (refueling required?) I'm trying to figure out how practical it is to rent a truck.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 pm

"Does a couple really "need" an SUV?"

Yes, definitely.