Morgan Stanley buying E*TRADE

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
mav12

Re: Morgan Stanley buying E*TRADE

Post by mav12 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:37 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 am
Vanguard should buy M1 Finance and integrate their technology.
YES

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:01 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 am
Ha! I just initiated a transfer to e*trade for a bonus. The fee to get out of MS should be interesting.
Ha ha... :D not to worry, that fee will likely be covered by the next brokerage you decide to transfer into... :twisted:
I am considering transferring to e-trade for some bonus.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:17 pm

Koale3 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:28 am
So I have found plenty of negative reviews of E*Trade on https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/etrade.html
I'd like to know is "consumeraffairs" legitimate source? Most brokers reviewed there get 1-1.5 rating, are they just biased or trying to "bomb" company? Moreover I know that Vanguard there was also in 1-1.5 bracket for long time but lately they pumped it.
My impression is that consumeraffairs is a not a legit source. Do a Google search.

Etrade is a very good discount brokerage. It's even possible that being acquired by MS might benefit savvy Etrade customers. True, MS might try and pitch high fee products to ETrade customers, but there may also be some good products not currently available at Etrade -- maybe a branded credit card ?

And as mentioned earlier, you might get access to MS's bond desk. Or maybe you could buy deferred fixed annuities at MS -- you can't do that right now at Etrade.

CardioMD

Post by CardioMD » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 pm

mortfree wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 pm
Here’s hoping Morgan Stanley brings the ETrade platform in and leaves it as is.

Unfortunately I just went through the whole CapitalOne to ETrade for what feels like 2 years ago.

Maybe ETrade will offer a free pass to go elsewhere before it goes to MS. That option was available for the CapOne to ETrade.
I could be wrong but aren’t they required to allow free transfers out? Could that Be a negative response situation in which they’re not allowed to charge fees for opting out?

Maybe M&A is different from a bulk transfer situation.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle